ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on Skowronek's decision to transfer to Notre Dame

I'm with Coral, I hope he has a fruitful life where he is a positive contributor to society, but does not become a poster child for wide receivers to leave NU as grad transfers and then find success playing for ND/other teams.

I think that would have adverse effects on NU, especially because he was a captain on the team.

I wish Skron well. I don't care if you are a bench warmer or AA, you are an NU alum through and through. Wish everyone happiness. Even Notre Dame. I hope to see our wildcats soon play also.

Like the new avatar. It makes you look thinner.

We employ a part-time manny (male nanny, for the uninitiated--AA homosexual thespian whom you will likely be seeing a lot of on TV soon--really interesting guy, but I digress) who is from Ft. Wayne, and whose family is very good friends with with the Skowroneks. Our manny's younger brother, a CB at DuPage (who may transfer to Iowa), played with Ben in HS. He intimated a few months ago that Ben might seek "greener pastures" next fall.
Mid-season, I heard from some very good sources in the West Lot that Skowronek wasn’t happy. Words to live by: Always trust West Lot scuttlebutt.

Last edited:
I'm with Coral, I hope he has a fruitful life where he is a positive contributor to society, but does not become a poster child for wide receivers to leave NU as grad transfers and then find success playing for ND/other teams.

I think that would have adverse effects on NU, especially because he was a captain on the team.
I am not sure anything can have an adverse effect on NU WR recruiting more than the production on the field on recent teams.

We don’t know the reason he left. By all accounts he has been one of the hardest workers at ND and already garnered the respect of his teammates. AT NU, he was a team captain. Aren’t Captains elected by the players? If so, this would indicate to me that he conducted himself the right way for at least his first 3 years on the team. I doubt the team elects an A-hole to represent them as a Captain.

It’s easy to blame the kid or pops, but sometimes people need to point the thumb rather than the finger when searching for reasons someone that had at least some success at NU would even consider leaving.

Let's pick up a bevy of nd grad transfer wr.s now. Repay them the favor! Pull a few away from the grotto and elevate them to the lakefill! I've always liked NU's campus more compared to nd's. Nu has prettier women too.

Reactions: drewjin
Mid-season, I heard from some very good sources in the West Lot that Skowronek wasn’t happy. Words to live by: Always trust, West Lot scuttlebutt.
Last year was the perfect shitstorm for NU football, after the graduation of Thorson and the injuries at QB, coupled with an inept Offensive Coordinator. I could see how a player could sour on the program at that point, but I think he showed a clear lack of trust that Fitz would correct the situation. Skowronek would have been in a great position to lead a resurrected offense, with Peyton Ramsey throwing to him and Bajakian implementing a new offense, instead he defected to a program which many of us loathe. I won't root for him at ND. I hope he does well in life after ND.

Last year was the perfect shitstorm for NU football, after the graduation of Thorson and the injuries at QB, coupled with an inept Offensive Coordinator. I could see how a player could sour on the program at that point, but I think he showed a clear lack of trust that Fitz would correct the situation. Skowronek would have been in a great position to lead a resurrected offense, with Peyton Ramsey throwing to him and Bajakian implementing a new offense, instead he defected to a program which many of us loathe. I won't root for him at ND. I hope he does well in life after ND.
He left for ND prior to the Cats picking up Ramsey.

We don’t know the reason he left. By all accounts he has been one of the hardest workers at ND and already garnered the respect of his teammates. AT NU, he was a team captain. Aren’t Captains elected by the players? If so, this would indicate to me that he conducted himself the right way for at least his first 3 years on the team. I doubt the team elects an A-hole to represent them as a Captain.

It’s easy to blame the kid or pops, but sometimes people need to point the thumb rather than the finger when searching for reasons someone that had at least some success at NU would even consider leaving.
Oh my god.... it is my fault he left! I just knew it!!

They have been problems for awhile. If he thinks he can get a shot at the league, who can blame him? Let’s see Book tossing to me behind a powerful OL or what we saw last year at NU? Easy choice.
No way he makes the league - too slow. Unless you’re talking about the Arena League.

Part of the reason why I’m not bitter: it’s his last year playing football and life is preciously short. While I I won’t cheer for him and think it’s bullshit that fans were hearing a Captain was unhappy midseason, I’m over it.

We ultimately want players who want to be here and the guys are the roster are the ones I worry about. Peyton Ramsey will have plenty of targets without him.

No way he makes the league - too slow. Unless you’re talking about the Arena League.

Part of the reason why I’m not bitter: it’s his last year playing football and life is preciously short. While I I won’t cheer for him and think it’s bullshit that fans were hearing a Captain was unhappy midseason, I’m over it.

We ultimately want players who want to be here and the guys are the roster are the ones I worry about. Peyton Ramsey will have plenty of targets without him.
Wonder if Indiana fans feel the same way about Ramsey.

Reactions: mickbula
Not a fair comparison...at all. Would NU fans have begrudged Matt Alviti if he ended up transferring his senior season?
Don’t know, I suspect some would. Skowronek spent 4 years here, personally can’t begrudge him for going somewhere else where he knows he’ll get more exposure. The guys I begrudge are the one’s that flip a few days before signing date a la YAR or Zach Allen.

Don’t know, I suspect some would. Skowronek spent 4 years here, personally can’t begrudge him for going somewhere else where he knows he’ll get more exposure. The guys I begrudge are the one’s that flip a few days before signing date a la YAR or Zach Allen.

I can.

Guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. I’m with Fitz on this one. You don’t walk out on your brothers...especially those that made you a captain. I’ll always appreciate the loyalty Alviti displayed; Benedict could learn a thing or two from Matt.

While I I won’t cheer for him and think it’s bullshit that fans were hearing a Captain was unhappy midseason, I’m over it.
Are you saying I’m a purveyor of bullshit? True. However, in this case it wasn’t. I mean, he did leave, didn’t he?

Reactions: No Chores
It wasn’t bullshit that I heard he was unhappy. My sources (plural) were not fans in the parking lot, although I was in the parking lot when I talked to them. I never passed it to this board because it wouldn’t have been right. Now that the young man is gone, I didn’t see the harm. Then you called what I wrote bullshit. So I gave a semi-humorous response which apparently you didn’t understand. You don’t know me, but I guess you think my credibility is zero. That’s fine.

It wasn’t bullshit that I heard he was unhappy. My sources (plural) were not fans in the parking lot, although I was in the parking lot when I talked to them. I never passed it to this board because it wouldn’t have been right. Now that the young man is gone, I didn’t see the harm. Then you called what I wrote bullshit. So I gave a semi-humorous response which apparently you didn’t understand. You don’t know me, but I guess you think my credibility is zero. That’s fine.
Oh got it - no I wasn’t calling your claim bullshit.

I was calling the example of a captain bailing on his team during the season bullshit. As in, “what bullshit leadership”, or “what a crock of bullshit to make him captain in the first place”.

One day I may enroll in the Benedict Skowronek school of Bullshit Leadership to get ahead in the corporate world.

I don’t doubt the veracity of that claim for a second. Hope the confusion is cleared up.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
He didn't have a catch this weekend. Not to say that he won't turn it around but he wasn't part of their successful game plan, and FWIW a WR on ND is being looked at as an outside Heisman candidate now.

Right now, he is just helping the team GPA.

Oh got it - no I wasn’t calling your claim bullshit.

I was calling the example of a captain bailing on his team during the season bullshit. As in, “what bullshit leadership”, or “what a crock of bullshit to make him captain in the first place”.

One day I may enroll in the Benedict Skowronek school of Bullshit Leadership to get ahead in the corporate world.

I don’t doubt the veracity of that claim for a second. Hope the confusion is cleared up.
I am so sorry. Now I get it. The only person Willy should be calling stupid is me.

• Haha
Reactions: NUCat320
He didn't have a catch this weekend. Not to say that he won't turn it around but he wasn't part of their successful game plan, and FWIW a WR on ND is being looked at as an outside Heisman candidate now.

Right now, he is just helping the team GPA.
Made a pretty great play just now.

I don’t wish poor luck on him but on the surface you could say he bailed on NU. He was a starter and his team made him captain so it wasn’t about playing time or leadership. I don’t blame him because I think he transferred before we knew about Bajakian and Ramsey, and last year was so historically bad for the passing game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT