ADVERTISEMENT

OSU Covid rumors

JournCat

Gold Member
Aug 4, 2009

This could totally be a false rumor. But does anyone believe OSU wouldn't cover up an outbreak to preserve its playoff chance? I would be nervous about our team's proximity to them and hope the Big Ten steps in if necessary, no matter how much people would complain.

This could totally be a false rumor. But does anyone believe OSU wouldn't cover up an outbreak to preserve its playoff chance? I would be nervous about our team's proximity to them and hope the Big Ten steps in if necessary, no matter how much people would complain.
I've been reading the OSU boards - mostly the O-Zone - and this was one of the hot topics yesterday. Later, it was speculated that it was Olave but no confirmation. I realize they're extremely deep, but that kid (and Wilson) are bigtime and would be a blow to that offense to lose one of them. I've seen a few early mock drafts and all have Olave going in the 1st or 2nd rounds

Reactions: Titanium999
Another article says, "At least one prominent starter on offense and several others have tested positive and will miss Saturday's game." Rumor is it's Olave. Who knows who else would have to sit out due to contact tracing? If the game is canceled, both teams would be declared co-champs. I've got to believe that the CFP would not choose a 5-win OSU team so there will be a huge incentive for OSU to try to play the game.

Another article says, "At least one prominent starter on offense and several others have tested positive and will miss Saturday's game." Rumor is it's Olave. Who knows who else would have to sit out due to contact tracing? If the game is canceled, both teams would be declared co-champs. I've got to believe that the CFP would not choose a 5-win OSU team so there will be a huge incentive for OSU to try to play the game.

While it’s possible (not guaranteed) the playoff committee passes on Ohio State, a cancellation opens the door for both NU and Indiana to make the NY6.

I hear what you're saying, but NO WAY any big-time college program would even try to cover up Covid. They could possibly be in all kinds of issues and lawsuits down the road. There's one player RUMOURED to have Covid right now at OSU. Besides, OSU is so damn deep they could plug someone else in without a massive dropoff. The player in question with Covid right now - Olave - is a star but have you seen Julian Fleming and especially Jaxon Smith-Njigba ? They're both freshman and have a ton of talent - especially Nijigba, Both were 5 stars in just about every service Nijigba made some incredible catches this year and could start - easily - for the majority of B1G teams. The other WR backup - Jamison Williams - has played a lot and isn't exactly chopped liver

Perfect example of their depth was put on display against MSU. They had something like 20 players (or thereabouts) out with Covid which included quite a few starters on the OL. They just plugged backups in and flattened MSU's DL to the tune of 52 points

And it's just not OSU. Super deep teams like Bama, Georgia, Clemson etc.... are in the same boat. Why would Saban risk cheating when he has someone almost just as good wanting to play on the bench?

Reactions: Titanium999
I don't believe for a second that OSU wouldn't try to cover up a Covid outbreak. There's too much at stake for them.
There are also questions - not only on the OSU boards - but others questioning teams that are claiming zero Covid cases up to this point to play with this stuff blowing up - all over the U.S, - just so they can play. And isn't the Chicago area - like Columbus - a mess right now ? Guess that's a two way street. What's that saying about glass houses. I'd - and most fans / people - would be more suspicious of teams and organizations claiming zero cases - NU, PSU etc,,,,. Are they really doing the mandatory testing which obviously teams like OSU. Indiana, and Purdue are doing ? See, this can go both ways.

Last edited:
There are also questions - not only on the OSU boards - but others questioning teams that are claiming zero Covid cases up to this point to play with this stuff blowing up - all over the U.S, - just so they can play. And isn't the Chicago area - like Columbus - a mess right now ? Guess that's a two way street. What's that saying about glass houses. I'd - and most fans / people - would be more suspicious of teams and organizations claiming zero cases. Are they really doing the mandatory testing which obviously teams like OSU. Indiana, and Purdue are doing ?
Lol

Apparently OSU practiced yesterday and today, so any outbreak seems to be fairly limited. In any event, OSU's backups are more talented on paper than NU's starters. But the games aren't played on paper.

Reactions: mikero3
There are also questions - not only on the OSU boards - but others questioning teams that are claiming zero Covid cases up to this point to play with this stuff blowing up - all over the U.S, - just so they can play. And isn't the Chicago area - like Columbus - a mess right now ? Guess that's a two way street. What's that saying about glass houses. I'd - and most fans / people - would be more suspicious of teams and organizations claiming zero cases. Are they really doing the mandatory testing which obviously teams like OSU. Indiana, and Purdue are doing ?
Name one person besides you who is making any serious claim about Northwestern’s zero COVID positives being fraudulent. You think the B1G isn’t monitoring compliance in some way? In order to cover up an outbreak, with daily testing a program would have to falsify hundreds of not thousands of test results. Perhaps I’d be more suspicious of programs that have a history of covering things up...

Reactions: DaCat
Apparently OSU practiced yesterday and today, so any outbreak seems to be fairly limited. In any event, OSU's backups are more talented on paper than NU's starters. But the games aren't played on paper.
I live in Delaware Ohio and get a lot of the up to date news. I did hear a case or two but nothing full blown. But who knows? Just rumors right now started by who knows ? Would not be surprised to see it cancelled - along with several college games over the weekend. On to 2021 with asterisks on 2020

There are also questions - not only on the OSU boards - but others questioning teams that are claiming zero Covid cases up to this point to play with this stuff blowing up - all over the U.S, - just so they can play. And isn't the Chicago area - like Columbus - a mess right now ? Guess that's a two way street. What's that saying about glass houses. I'd - and most fans / people - would be more suspicious of teams and organizations claiming zero cases - NU, PSU etc,,,,. Are they really doing the mandatory testing which obviously teams like OSU. Indiana, and Purdue are doing ? See, this can go both ways.
What a joke. Why don't you **** off

I don't believe that the zero positives is some kind of fraud/coverup. That said, I get uncomfortable whenever I hear that number, because I feel like COVID is coming for everybody in a "Final Destination" kind of way, and that NU is not going to be able to avoid it forever.

Fitz and the program is laser-focused on preventing COVID, and everyone in the program deserves credit for staying safe so far. It's no fluke. Think that coaches don't set the example? Ryan Day got COVID as I recall. Fitz is absolutely opposite of Day in that regard, I don't think there is a coach in America who is more cautious and disciplined about COVID avoidance than Fitz.

Name one person besides you who is making any serious claim about Northwestern’s zero COVID positives being fraudulent. You think the B1G isn’t monitoring compliance in some way? In order to cover up an outbreak, with daily testing a program would have to falsify hundreds of not thousands of test results. Perhaps I’d be more suspicious of programs that have a history of covering things up...
Exactly. I was responding to the poster suggesting OSU's possible coverup. I don't think NU or PSU is covering up Covid cases - just turning the table on him. I saw the NU Covid up suggestion on an OSU board and he was shot down immediately by other OSU posters. NO PROGRAM would put a kid at risk - NONE. And don't be surprised if teams like NU and PSU start seeing Covid. It's not like I think they're doing anything wrong - it's just a mess for everyone but absolutely INSANE for others to suggest coverup

I hear what you're saying, but NO WAY any big-time college program would even try to cover up Covid. They could possibly be in all kinds of issues and lawsuits down the road. There's one player RUMOURED to have Covid right now at OSU. Besides, OSU is so damn deep they could plug someone else in without a massive dropoff. The player in question with Covid right now - Olave - is a star but have you seen Julian Fleming and especially Jaxon Smith-Njigba ? They're both freshman and have a ton of talent - especially Nijigba, Both were 5 stars in just about every service Nijigba made some incredible catches this year and could start - easily - for the majority of B1G teams. The other WR backup - Jamison Williams - has played a lot and isn't exactly chopped liver

Perfect example of their depth was put on display against MSU. They had something like 20 players (or thereabouts) out with Covid which included quite a few starters on the OL. They just plugged backups in and flattened MSU's DL to the tune of 52 points

And it's just not OSU. Super deep teams like Bama, Georgia, Clemson etc.... are in the same boat. Why would Saban risk cheating when he has someone almost just as good wanting to play on the bench?

Don't think they really can/could anyway. The B1G is involved in the daily antigen testing at every program.

Reactions: TheBallCarrier
Fitz and the program is laser-focused on preventing COVID, and everyone in the program deserves credit for staying safe so far. It's no fluke. Think that coaches don't set the example? Ryan Day got COVID as I recall. Fitz is absolutely opposite of Day in that regard, I don't think there is a coach in America who is more cautious and disciplined about COVID avoidance than Fitz.
Be careful - you just never know about the glass house thing with that "holier than thou attitude." All it takes is one kid starting to spread it. Do you actually believe that Ryan Day was careless ? OSU has a hell of a lot more to play for that Northwestern (playoffs). Those kids are practicing with masks on and could blow up on any team at any moment - and probably will in the next week or two. Did you see how fast it spread at Indiana who held out hope of bigger things this year ? Jesus, some of these posts are amazing.

Now you've lost me. Daily results are reported to and conducted in consultation with the conference.

Exactly. I was responding to the poster suggesting OSU's possible coverup. I don't think NU or PSU is covering up Covid cases - just turning the table on him. I saw the NU Covid up suggestion on an OSU board and he was shot down immediately by other OSU posters. NO PROGRAM would put a kid at risk - NONE. And don't be surprised if teams like NU and PSU start seeing Covid. It's not like I think they're doing anything wrong - it's just a mess for everyone but absolutely INSANE for others to suggest coverup
Well, other than Michigan, who would gladly send clearly concussed players back onto the field.

Absolutely. They are about FB first. That said, I think they have latitude unless the outbreak is too severe. Only WIS cnaceled with only 8. Other teams have played with 20 or more out

Last edited:

True but Frosh are easier to face than a guy ready to step into pro shoes. They can still be impressive but have to think there will still be chinks in their game

Now you've lost me. Daily results are reported to and conducted in consultation with the conference.
I was replying back to the OP - turning the table - who said it wouldn't surprise him to see OSU covering up Covid cases which is just ludicrous.

I would hate to see any OSU players disqualified due to Covid positives or exposure. One of the pleasures of the season has been that the Cats won the division title pretty much straight up, only benefitting from disqualifications pretty much after clinching. I really want the to play an OSU that is at its best. If Olive and or one or several standout players are held out, it would tarnish the luster of a still improbable upset if it were to happen.

I don't believe for a second that OSU wouldn't try to cover up a Covid outbreak. There's too much at stake for them.
Cover up, unlikely but be pushing to play anyway, absolutely. THey don't have to have zero cases to be able to play. Cases and contact tracing can keep players out but they have enough that missing a few doesn't dismantle them the way it would other teams. Wisconsin canceled with only 8 guys out (one of them was their QB and they would have been down to 3rd or 4th string) while other teams have played with 20 or more not available.

Teams that have zero cases - or have had very few - are almost by definition doing the right things. They have also been blessed with some luck.
I live in the Columbus (Delaware) area and get their news. Ryan Day has stayed away from his family - as all of their coaches - and hasn't seen them in weeks. Same with their players - basically locked up in their dorms and no social life - it's been on the news. They have everything to play for including possibly the playoffs if - a BIG if - they can get by NU But yet you have the answers. All it takes is one player to start the spread.

I have a 65 year old neighbor - 3 doors down - that's been very careful in the past - wears a mask everywhere and social distanced. But she's in the hospital in very bad shape and no idea how she caught it. Maybe touched something with Covid - who knows ? You wanna tell her about being careless and how she should have followed Fitz' example. It happens - Jesus H. Christ

And the Big Ten would never change protocol or alter the rules to help Ohio State, would they?
If they did what you suggest, they would have more to lose from the lawsuits than they could potentially gain

Stop while you were ahead. I don't believe OSU or NU would try to cover up Covid cases

So right now it's at least one prominent starter on offense and several others, if the reports are true.

But also sounds like a lot of those players kept out the past few weeks will be back.

Seems like a wash overall.

I would hate to see any OSU players disqualified due to Covid positives or exposure. One of the pleasures of the season has been that the Cats won the division title pretty much straight up, only benefitting from disqualifications pretty much after clinching. I really want the to play an OSU that is at its best. If Olive and or one or several standout players are held out, it would tarnish the luster of a still improbable upset if it were to happen.
I will take the upset anyway I can get it. Fact is we are short people because of COVID (they opted out) as well. Also subject to losses because of injury. You play the game that is in front of you. ND is ranked #2 because they beat Clemson (but Lawrence was missing because of COVID) Think they are going to give that win back? In their case, they likely play again and it will work out but what if it was not the case?

I will take the upset anyway I can get it. Fact is we are short people because of COVID (they opted out) as well. Also subject to losses because of injury. You play the game that is in front of you. ND is ranked #2 because they beat Clemson (but Lawrence was missing because of COVID) Think they are going to give that win back? In their case, they likely play again and it will work out but what if it was not the case?
ND won't be no 2 for that much longer. Clemson can't wait for the rematch.

Be careful - you just never know about the glass house thing with that "holier than thou attitude." All it takes is one kid starting to spread it. Do you actually believe that Ryan Day was careless ? OSU has a hell of a lot more to play for that Northwestern (playoffs). Those kids are practicing with masks on and could blow up on any team at any moment - and probably will in the next week or two. Did you see how fast it spread at Indiana who held out hope of bigger things this year ? Jesus, some of these posts are amazing.
Considering that I've seen Ryan Day without a mask at least 100 times this season, on TV, then yes I believe he was more careless than Fitz

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT