ADVERTISEMENT

OSU Covid rumors

Uh-oh ...

Sun Belt Conference cancels championship game over coronavirus with Coastal Carolina

"Sun Belt Championship Football game between Coastal Carolina and Louisiana has been canceled due to a positive COVID-19 test within the Coastal Carolina program. Because of contact tracing, an entire position group would not be available to play," the conference said in a tweet.

Reactions: Titanium999
Slater would have been a tremendous help - if we had him then he would be a stud at LT and Skoronski a budding stud at RT. Would have helped the right side of our OL, which has been weak this year, a lot. That would still leave 1-2 positions that are average or below average, but I think it would have made a big difference.

Samdup would also help our DL in terms of talent and improved depth - a solid amount but not as much as Slater. Given how good B Jo has been, it's hard to say we have missed Whillock, ironically so given at the time he seemed like a significant loss.

(Btw - does anyone know more about Travis's injury situation / how he is doing? At the time I felt like there were whispers that some on the board knew more but weren't ready to share it at the time. Hoping the best for him.)
There were a couple other guys on OL that opted out as well. The loss of not just one potential 1st round draft pick was bad enough but losing the other two really set us back though it will pay dividends next year.

If we beat them, by next year, Nobody would remember except OSU fans! I hope they have at least 5 guys missing to even the score from decades of playing imbeciles, improper payments and huge bunch of drunkin jagbags as fans!.

Remember they have sixty six 4 and 5 star recruits on their roster...we have 4. If they miss 4 players they just put in another great player. They are basically a bandit school and should be in the SEC.

F**k OSU!

We have our own problems just getting to Saturday without our own Covid issues. and playing with a lot less talent!
As you say F**K dOSU. They have so much raw talent (probably more than the rest of the conference COMBINED) that they are basically just a farm team for the pros. The real advantage we get if a few of their guys are prevented from playing is at least the replacements (that have every bit as much talent) is that they won't have the amount of game experience that separates the starters from the backups taking them from a pro team to a bunch of top amateurs. We need every edge we can get. At least they don't have Dobbins this year so there real threat is through the air. If that group is weakened, it gives us a fighting chance

• Haha
Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Stovall didn’t opt out, he was a medical DQ.
Thanks. couldn't remember the situation with all of them. Just remember that were three of them and a couple were the opt out variety. If they were all playing this year our O would have likely looked a bit different. I mean we suffer through years of development to have guys mature at the same time to have a solid OL and poof. Starting over

There were a couple other guys on OL that opted out as well. The loss of not just one potential 1st round draft pick was bad enough but losing the other two really set us back though it will pay dividends next year.
Who else?

OSU has nothing more to play for than Northwestern does! We both want the B1G championship and a National Championship.
Sorry, not quite true. At this point (after the loss to MSU) we have no shot at CFP. We have the BIG Championship (as they do) while they cannot get into CFP without beating us (and likely need style points as well)

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Pretty sure Stovall was the only OL. Miller, Whillock, Smith, and Whittaker opted out, Stovall and James medical DQ’d.
Thanks. Thought I remembered hearing we were missing 3 OL and I know Slater was for opting out. And Stovall but could not remember the third. In any event missing even two projected starters is a lot to come back from. OL would have been a projected strength this year but instead it was another rebuilding job (that will likely pay dividends next year. While we did fine on DL, have to think in this game, having Sandup would be a plus. Whittaker likely could have helped in this game as well.

Sorry, not quite true. At this point (after the loss to MSU) we have no shot at CFP. We have the BIG Championship (as they do) while they cannot get into CFP without beating us (and likely need style points as well)

That's too bad. Let's just beat OSU and see what happens.

Reactions: NUCat320
Thanks. Thought I remembered hearing we were missing 3 OL and I know Slater was for opting out. And Stovall but could not remember the third. In any event missing even two projected starters is a lot to come back from. OL would have been a projected strength this year but instead it was another rebuilding job (that will likely pay dividends next year. While we did fine on DL, have to think in this game, having Sandup would be a plus. Whittaker likely could have helped in this game as well.

Slater was for opting out if we played in the Spring as originally planned. He would have likely played if the season had started on time. After canceling the season and a month's delay to reopen, he decided to opt-out to work on his game.

He’Bert hasn’t played - perhaps due to injury? He’s probably the third you’re thinking about.

Hopefully OSU is able to play. I think we have a better shot at winning than in 2018.

Whittaker? I don’t remember him ever seeing the field except from the sideline.

I will take the win anyway we can get it. And if they can't field a full compliment, I will not feel sorry for them. We have several guys out because they elected to not play this year(or were injured). I doubt dOSU has had to deal with much of the opting out. Where would our O be with the 3 OL that were not available this year?. dOSU has so many built in advantages that basically they use the rest of the league as fodder for their championship dreams. The have 5 stars backing up the guys that can't play. You are nuts thinking it isn't pure if they don't have a full compliment. They are basically a professional team that plays at school

No. I'm not nuts — no need for personal invective. I don't feel sorry for them. You really think the guys they have behind Fields and Olave are just as good? The other Big Ten schools aren't exactly the little sisters of the poor. If Ohio State is using them as fodder, whose fault is that? Michigan has fully the tradition and resources of Ohio State and isn't even a .500 club this season.

If there is anything we have learned from NCAA Football in 2020 as far as point spreads/gambling, the drop-off from starters to back-ups is not that big. There have been numerous teams that have had 5-10 starters out and outperformed the normal starters. The games that come to mind are Kansas State with 7+ starters out and beating Oklahoma, UL-Lafayette over Iowa State, Even if both Olave and Wilson were out, I don't think the point spread would move much. It really didn't move with their whole OL out vs. Michigan State. Now if Fields is out, I suspect a 2-3 point move, maybe more. Gamblers have lost alot of money this year betting against the team with Covid, and have smartened up during the year.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Be careful - you just never know about the glass house thing with that "holier than thou attitude." All it takes is one kid starting to spread it. Do you actually believe that Ryan Day was careless ? OSU has a hell of a lot more to play for that Northwestern (playoffs). Those kids are practicing with masks on and could blow up on any team at any moment - and probably will in the next week or two. Did you see how fast it spread at Indiana who held out hope of bigger things this year ? Jesus, some of these posts are amazing.

you simply don’t understand then. Playoffs shmayoffs. We have Hank to play for. Gotta send him out the right way. We have 30 years of rape, murder, and torture to avenge. We have the disrespect of every munch who predicts a 40 point Buckeye assraping to stand against and tell them eff you we aren’t just a bunch of overachieving talent less Rece Davises you effing a-holes sons of bitches. We have the scholar athlete ideal to champion and uphold to tell the world you don’t have to lie, cheat, and steal to compete and win on the football field. We play tomorrow to strike a blow for good against abject evil.

And you say we have less to play for. Oh, you poor, ignorant fool.

Last edited:
Nothing would tarnish or reduce a win over Ohio State in the Big Ten championship game.

In sports asterisks are for lovers.

Staying healthy is a part of the game.

I can't wait for Ohio State fans to go from "We don't need Olave to blow out Northwestern, but what about Clemson? Wahh wahh wahh wahh wahh Kevin Warren wahh wahh wahh 21 days." on Saturday morning to "We didn't have Olave though!" on Saturday night.

Reactions: Gladeskat and DaCat
I can't wait for Ohio State fans to go from "We don't need Olave to blow out Northwestern, but what about Clemson? Wahh wahh wahh wahh wahh Kevin Warren wahh wahh wahh 21 days." on Saturday morning to "We didn't have Olave though!" on Saturday night.

Starting to suspect they'll be without a lot more than just Olave.

Rittenberg reports "could be several key players out for OSU, but game is not in jeopardy." Also, OSU will release its availability report on Saturday morning, not today. Gee, thanks.

you simply don’t understand then. Playoffs shmayoffs. We have Hank to play for. Gotta send him out the right way. We have 30 years of rape, murder, and torture to avenge. We have the disrespect of every munch who predicts a 40 point Buckeye assraping to stand against and tell them eff you we aren’t just a bunch of overachieving talent less Rece Davises you effing a-holes sons of bitches. We have the scholar athlete ideal to champion and uphold to tell the world you don’t have to lie, cheat, and steal to compete and win on the football field. We play tomorrow to strike a blow for good against abject evil.

OK. Good Lord !

I am looking forward to the day that NU beats Ohio State and seeing what Evanston Cat does with his life (my guess is he'll just double down for the next meeting, because...why not?). Still, he'd be like the proverbial dog catching the proverbial car. While the rest of the NU fans would rejoice at the big win, it will mean something on a completely different level to him. And I'm there for that.

He’Bert hasn’t played - perhaps due to injury? He’s probably the third you’re thinking about.

Hopefully OSU is able to play. I think we have a better shot at winning than in 2018.
Thanks. Like I said, our OL was projected to look a whole lot different and would have been a strength. Instead it was a rebuild job (that will pay dividends down the road) that likely limited our O costing us a consistent running game and likely limiting our passing game as well. Our ability to overcome these limitations shows the remarkable job the coaching staff and players did. Our D has been great but might have been even better with the guys missing and our O would have been better making us a more forminable opponent. Like I said, I have no problem seeing dOSU have guys unavailable because of COVID. They are not facing us at full strength either and I doubt they feel sorry for us

Yeah man. Go get some

Olave will be back for the playoffs. We will be fine. We were missing 23 players and coaches when the Bucks pounded MSU by 40 points.

Slater would have been a tremendous help - if we had him then he would be a stud at LT and Skoronski a budding stud at RT. Would have helped the right side of our OL, which has been weak this year, a lot. That would still leave 1-2 positions that are average or below average, but I think it would have made a big difference.

Samdup would also help our DL in terms of talent and improved depth - a solid amount but not as much as Slater. Given how good B Jo has been, it's hard to say we have missed Whillock, ironically so given at the time he seemed like a significant loss.

(Btw - does anyone know more about Travis's injury situation / how he is doing? At the time I felt like there were whispers that some on the board knew more but weren't ready to share it at the time. Hoping the best for him.)
Thanks. Like I said, our OL was projected to look a whole lot different and would have been a strength. Instead it was a rebuild job (that will pay dividends down the road) that likely limited our O costing us a consistent running game and likely limiting our passing game as well. Our ability to overcome these limitations shows the remarkable job the coaching staff and players did. Our D has been great but might have been even better with the guys missing and our O would have been better making us a more forminable opponent. Like I said, I have no problem seeing dOSU have guys unavailable because of COVID. They are not facing us at full strength either and I doubt they feel sorry for us

Going with the What If game, our starting OL could've looked a lot different (and better):

LT - Slater (opted out for NFL)
LG - Urban
C - Gerak
RG - Stovall (medical retirement)
RT - Skoronski (current LT)

I would dare say that this line would've been the best in the B1G. Oh well...
As it is, we have first time starters at LT, C, and G. Note that Gerak started at RG last year but this is his first year playing center at the college level.

Going with the What If game, our starting OL could've looked a lot different (and better):

LT - Slater (opted out for NFL)
LG - Urban
C - Gerak
RG - Stovall (medical retirement)
RT - Skoronski (current LT)

I would dare say that this line would've been the best in the B1G. Oh well...
As it is, we have first time starters at LT, C, and G. Note that Gerak started at RG last year but this is his first year playing center at the college level.
I mean injuries happen in college football - that's why, with the exception of Slater which was a voluntary opt out (that I am no way complaining about - excited to see Rashawn play in the NFL), I think the what-if game is kind of silly. Also, nothing against Stovall, but I don't think he's a game-changer regarding the overall OL like adding Rashawn back would be.

Re what you have above, I don't think that's the top OL in B1G (that still has to go comfortably to OSU), but i think it would be well into the top half. Vs ours now which might be in the middle or somewhat below that right now.

Ohio State has released most of its pregame status reports this season on Friday morning before a game, but that will not be the case this week as the Big Ten Championship Game status report will be released on Saturday morning ahead of the noon kickoff. The status report is expected to be released at 10:45 a.m. Saturday.

Ohio State has released most of its pregame status reports this season on Friday morning before a game, but that will not be the case this week as the Big Ten Championship Game status report will be released on Saturday morning ahead of the noon kickoff. The status report is expected to be released at 10:45 a.m. Saturday.
Figure they are trying to deny Hank extra time to game plan with his defense, especially in the secondary. That's okay, I'll bet he's got a range of different options that the team have worked through.

Figure they are trying to deny Hank extra time to game plan with his defense, especially in the secondary. That's okay, I'll bet he's got a range of different options that the team have worked through.
This only fuels the rumor mill... Good, Bad or indifferent it will be interesting

I think it’s all a smoke screen and OSU comes out full strength....
Where there's smoke there's fire in this case. They will be without at least Olave and their punter Crisman. Those are two important players for them.

Where there's smoke there's fire in this case. They will be without at least Olave and their punter Crisman. Those are two important players for them.
But Olave is one of only a handful of 3 stars they have on their roster so we want him to play instead of one of the 5 stars that backs him up. Right???

How is their punter important? If you listen to the whole world, he hasn't even seen the field this year, their offense is so good!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT