ADVERTISEMENT

OSU Covid rumors

The players out tomorrow has leaked out;

WRs - Olave and Smith-Nijiba
LB - Browning
Punter - Chrisman

Asst Coaches - Hartline and Washington

Hard to believe only two WRs would be infected in addition to the position coach. More likely much more widespread in the room, in addition to contact tracing issues.

Hard to believe only two WRs would be infected in addition to the position coach. More likely much more widespread in the room, in addition to contact tracing issues.
IMHO, I honestly don't think for one minute that OSU - or any school - would try to cover up Covid issues. They could / would possibly open themselves up for lawsuits down the road and know it. And keep in mind, Covid issues aren't going to affect deeper rosters like it would thinner CF squads so less of a need for teams like OSU would try to cover up issues

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
I don’t think they would try to falsify testing but certainly the contact tracing is up for subjectivity - saying the other WRs were not in close enough or long enough proximity is really just a self reporting as they don’t have constant video surveillance. Some of those guys would need to sit out a certain period regardless of daily antigen testing because it could be too early to be positive.

In other team outbreaks it seemed much more common to be clustered by position group which makes total sense. In this case it’s single players from multiple position groups which is odd.

IMHO, I honestly don't think for one minute that OSU - or any school - would try to cover up Covid issues. They could / would possibly open themselves up for lawsuits down the road and know it. And keep in mind, Covid issues aren't going to affect deeper rosters like it would thinner CF squads so less of a need for teams like OSU would try to cover up issues

It’s less a potential cover-up and more that the virus has an incubation period where an infected person could be infectious before testing positive. If the LB Coach and one LB in addition to the WR Coach and two WRs are confirmed positive, then it seems pretty obvious that the virus is in both those rooms and that the entire position group has likely been exposed even if they test negative.

Reactions: freewillie07
Whittaker? I don’t remember him ever seeing the field except from the sideline.
He just switched to TE after last year. not sure what he got in practice reps but he might have helpe
How is their punter important? If you listen to the whole world, he hasn't even seen the field this year, their offense is so good!
They haven't faced NU D

Reactions: SmellyCat
I don’t think they would try to falsify testing but certainly the contact tracing is up for subjectivity - saying the other WRs were not in close enough or long enough proximity is really just a self reporting as they don’t have constant video surveillance. Some of those guys would need to sit out a certain period regardless of daily antigen testing because it could be too early to be positive.

In other team outbreaks it seemed much more common to be clustered by position group which makes total sense. In this case it’s single players from multiple position groups which is odd.
Actually, there are 2 WRs and the WR Asst. coach

Going with the What If game, our starting OL could've looked a lot different (and better):

LT - Slater (opted out for NFL)
LG - Urban
C - Gerak
RG - Stovall (medical retirement)
RT - Skoronski (current LT)

I would dare say that this line would've been the best in the B1G. Oh well...
As it is, we have first time starters at LT, C, and G. Note that Gerak started at RG last year but this is his first year playing center at the college level.
As one guy said, the third guy MIA this year was Herbert. I am not sure it would have been the best OL in the BIG but it would have been more formidable that what we were able to field.

It’s less a potential cover-up and more that the virus has an incubation period where an infected person could be infectious before testing positive. If the LB Coach and one LB in addition to the WR Coach and two WRs are confirmed positive, then it seems pretty obvious that the virus is in both those rooms and that the entire position group has likely been exposed even if they test negative.
Yeah, that incubation period is the tricky part

I mean injuries happen in college football - that's why, with the exception of Slater which was a voluntary opt out (that I am no way complaining about - excited to see Rashawn play in the NFL), I think the what-if game is kind of silly. Also, nothing against Stovall, but I don't think he's a game-changer regarding the overall OL like adding Rashawn back would be.

Re what you have above, I don't think that's the top OL in B1G (that still has to go comfortably to OSU), but i think it would be well into the top half. Vs ours now which might be in the middle or somewhat below that right now.
He did not have to be a game changer to make a difference. It was one guy we would not have to replace with a guy who would not normally have been able to start. I for one did not suggest we would have been the top OL in the BIG. But it would have been average or better and that could have made a difference

Most of tOSU's "subs" would start anywhere else in the B1G, so I'm not expecting much of a drop in strength.
They will have plenty of talent. But the replacements won't have the game experience or the reps with first team. Being off just a bit in timing could the difference between a td and pick.

They will have plenty of talent. But the replacements won't have the game experience or the reps with first team. Being off just a bit in timing could the difference between a td and pick.

Their backups have more experience than most teams in the country because they usually have big leads and can sub at will.

But is there anything that can be done? I agree that if 2 WRs and the WR coach test positive, it’s likely only a matter of time for the rest of the WRs. If there aren’t more sitting out for contact tracing reasons, that’s suspect.

We don’t want our DBs potentially infected.

I am looking forward to the day that NU beats Ohio State and seeing what Evanston Cat does with his life (my guess is he'll just double down for the next meeting, because...why not?). Still, he'd be like the proverbial dog catching the proverbial car. While the rest of the NU fans would rejoice at the big win, it will mean something on a completely different level to him. And I'm there for that.

Oh, Smelly, when we win, inasmuch as I wish it were not so, it won't be settled. Not by a longshot. dOSU will still be the gutter scum when it comes to institutionalized academic fraud and the epitome of win-at-all-costs football factory culture. Our win on the field will just be a solitary battle victory. The war will continue on as long as they cheat and steal, which means in perpetuity.

Reactions: SmellyCat
Just reported that both NU and OSU were Covid free with the players that were brought & tested upon their arrival in Indy.

Inactive list (as reported by Lou)
WR CHRIS OLAVE
LB BARON BROWNING
P DRUE CHRISMAN
DE TYLER FRIDAY
DE JAVONTAE JEAN-BAPTISTE
WR JAXON SMITH-NJIGBA
RB STEELE CHAMBERS
S BRYSON SHAW
QB GUNNAR HOAK
WR JAYLEN HARRIS
LB TOMMY EICHENBERG