ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Illini Woes

I have a question for you. What was your son told about the status of the Lakefront Indoor facility? How big of a factor was/is it in his and other recruits decision to commit? When do YOU think it will be ready for use?
We were told it would be completed for his Freshman year. I think it was pretty big in our decision, not because of the building itself, but because it showed that the school was finally going all in on the football program. Let's face it, NU sports haven't been much of a priority to the school. If you look at Stanford, they have better academics and more support for their football program. I am hoping that the new facilities are a sign of more support from the University to our program.
I am hoping it will be ready for use next year to help develop our players and to help us recruit more top players. There is great competition for good players with high academics. We need to get those kids. We need to convince them that there is no better place to get a great education and play competitive BIG football than NU. The kids looking for self hype will most always by the snake oil from the, "Hey look at me" schools. We want the mature, smart, hard working athletes who like being part of something bigger than just themselves, who are willing to bust their butts to give a University and a city something to celebrate and talk about forever. Us as fans, parents of recruits, recruits, and players need to aide the staff in recruiting. We can't sit back and hope things change. We need to be part of the change.
I understand that going 5-7 blows. Losing to the sorry Illini is beyond disgusting. But dwelling on the past isn't going to help. Recruits and parents of recruits read this stuff. Many don't reply, they just read. If a recruit or parent is reading our coaches can't Coach and need to go, it doesn't help recruiting. We need to try to keep it positive and constructive, as hard as that may be at times.

Reactions: NJCat83588
I'm talking about throughout the season. And yes, I do think our play calling was somewhat constrained by injuries (I was the first person to suggest that on these boards), but that was not the case during the first 3 quarters of the Michigan game. We hardly ran the option all season, and Oliver should be able to run the option effectively if he's our QB even if he is slow.

Come on, shakes! Rolling out is not all that stressful, and he did just fine when he rolled out in the 4th quarter. Should our coaches be sued Illini-style for putting Siemian in physical jeopardy? Fitz and the program are not going to give you free tickets for defending the indefensible, a loss to the Illini. Accepting and making excuses for a loss to Illinois is something I would have thought would be beneath a true NU fan. Fitz's job should be on the line if he loses to Illinois again this season!

Just stop. Too far.

I have a question for you. What was your son told about the status of the Lakefront Indoor facility? How big of a factor was/is it in his and other recruits decision to commit? When do YOU think it will be ready for use?
Just stop. Too far.

Not far enough! I already have the letter written to Phillips asking for Fitz to be replaced if he loses again to the Illini. I wrote it after last years debacle. It's essentially the same letter I wrote when Fitz took points off the board and lost to Duke to end their 22-game losing streak in 2007. The lettter includes a list of good realtors for Phillips to pass on to Fitz.

Not far enough! I already have the letter written to Phillips asking for Fitz to be replaced if he loses again to the Illini. I wrote it after last years debacle. It's essentially the same letter I wrote when Fitz took points off the board and lost to Duke to end their 22-game losing streak in 2007. The lettter includes a list of good realtors for Phillips to pass on to Fitz.

The board bully act is admirable.

Trust me, getting rid of Fitz would be a huge mistake. Fitz is a huge reason recruits pick NU. Parents of recruits love Fitz. I for one, thinks Fitz is awesome. The man genuinely loves NU and cares about the players. He doesn't sacrifice his values to recruit. There is so much more into winning and losing games than just the coaches. Jango didn't pick NU because of Ryan Field, fan support, or past performance. He came because he thinks Fitz gives him the best opportunity to become the best linebacker he can be, he respects Fitz, and he believes he can contribute to something special. Fitz has been a winner at everything he does, he will overcome whatever he needs to and win a few BIG's for his University

Reactions: SciCat
Trust me, getting rid of Fitz would be a huge mistake. Fitz is a huge reason recruits pick NU. Parents of recruits love Fitz. I for one, thinks Fitz is awesome. The man genuinely loves NU and cares about the players. He doesn't sacrifice his values to recruit. There is so much more into winning and losing games than just the coaches. Jango didn't pick NU because of Ryan Field, fan support, or past performance. He came because he thinks Fitz gives him the best opportunity to become the best linebacker he can be, he respects Fitz, and he believes he can contribute to something special. Fitz has been a winner at everything he does, he will overcome whatever he needs to and win a few BIG's for his University

That's what I like about this board. A few loudmouths spout offal, without any knowledge of what they speak. In Gladeskat's case, he's a contrarian. Just recently he was defending Fitz. He goal is to create thoughtful controversy. I seriously doubt he wants Fitz fired. Unfortunately, many readers take him literally.

I'm talking about throughout the season. And yes, I do think our play calling was somewhat constrained by injuries (I was the first person to suggest that on these boards), but that was not the case during the first 3 quarters of the Michigan game. We hardly ran the option all season, and Oliver should be able to run the option effectively if he's our QB even if he is slow.

Come on, shakes! Rolling out is not all that stressful, and he did just fine when he rolled out in the 4th quarter. Should our coaches be sued Illini-style for putting Siemian in physical jeopardy? Fitz and the program are not going to give you free tickets for defending the indefensible, a loss to the Illini. Accepting and making excuses for a loss to Illinois is something I would have thought would be beneath a true NU fan. Fitz's job should be on the line if he loses to Illinois again this season!
Glad I'm not a coach. It would suck to have people that know less than 1% of what I know about a subject questioning my decisions and then suggest something as stupid as running the option with an immobile QB.

Exactly how banged up was Siemians ankle? Please tell me based on your conversations with Trevor, the training staff, the medical staff.... Oh that's right, you don't know. Fitz and McCall did and the chose not to roll him out until the fourth quarter.

I've made no excuses. I've a stated a fact. We had 35 scholarship players active and the Illinois team that played was better than the 35 active scholarship players that played. While it sucks that we lost, you can't get blood from a turnip, you can't turn turn iron into gold and you can't win a college football game when you're missing 50 of your top 85 players.

Reactions: SciCat
That's what I like about this board. A few loudmouths spout offal, without any knowledge of what they speak. In Gladeskat's case, he's a contrarian. Just recently he was defending Fitz. He goal is to create thoughtful controversy. I seriously doubt he wants Fitz fired. Unfortunately, many readers take him literally.
Maybe he's taking over for Turk. Also IMHO there is no way the practice facility will per ready in 2016, as stated by CatsDad, when they asked Fitz. The lying needs to stop and the building started.

Maybe he's taking over for Turk. Also IMHO there is no way the practice facility will per ready in 2016, as stated by CatsDad, when they asked Fitz. The lying needs to stop and the building started.
When will the facilities be done ? Does anyone know for sure ? I know they are having trouble with permits because it is being built on a landfill..

Actually, it is being built on a Lakefill, where Lake Michigan used to be!
Do you have an idea when it will be built. Jango and I are visiting the 14th or the 15th. I will ask Fitz if he knows when and post projected date for you all. I believe the Coaches are not telling lies, I think they are as much in the dark as anyone. They want the facilities as much if not more than anyone.

Life was so much more enjoyable around here when you were bitching about the pot holes. I'm curious, Willy, how much money have you donated to the capital campaign for the new sports facility?

Yep, Glades is stirring the pot. His tirades against Rantoul on Scout are priceless. He loves Mikey Dudek and is still steamed we missed on him. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn sometimes.

Unfortunately, I think this season could be a challenge. A lot of close games we could be on the short side of due to inexperience at key spots. A bunch of folks on the board forget that other schools in the B1G recruit good players too. Hopefully we can beat teams by out working them and yes out coaching them. It's happened before and can happen again. Read the comments from our recruits each year and even some we ultimately miss on! Fitz is one of the primary reasons they come to NU. Almost everyone brings it up. How many say that about Becky? Not many with comparable offers. So all this talk about dumping Fitz is fools talk and even with a loss to Rantoul won't happen. If there is failure next year, expect some of the supporting cast, but Fitz is the right guy right now.

Reactions: CatsDad
I have no clue what to expect this season . I am a newby to the Cats. I know last years recruiting class had some players I really like. This years class has some players too. I am hoping for at least a 6 win season and to continue improving on that over the next few years. I expect 2018, 2019 and 2020 to be BIG years for us.

When will construction be completed?
The renovation of the playing fields and construction of the outdoor practice field is expected to be completed in spring 2016, with some portions done sooner. The construction timeline for Ryan Fieldhouse will be determined after permits have been approved. - See more at: http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2015/03/faq-permit-to-build-lakefront-athletics-and-recreation-center.html#sthash.9Z1DMIVM.dpuf

Yes, I have seen that. I was just curious what the staff were telling the recruits. The permit process is a black hole with no definite timeline. I was surprised when you said it would be ready when Jango was a Freshman! I hope it is!

Yes, I have seen that. I was just curious what the staff were telling the recruits. The permit process is a black hole with no definite timeline. I was surprised when you said it would be ready when Jango was a Freshman! I hope it is!
I think the Coaches honestly believe that and are hopeful. Each month it is delayed is another month of not being able to train at our best and not being able to recruit at our best. I since being on this site am a little concerned and disappointed at the lack of support Evanston gives it's University and football team.. Evanston needs an attitude of gratitude for having NU. Hopefully the permits are approved in a timely manner and we can begin a new chapter in NU football

I think the Coaches honestly believe that and are hopeful. Each month it is delayed is another month of not being able to train at our best and not being able to recruit at our best. I since being on this site am a little concerned and disappointed at the lack of support Evanston gives it's University and football team.. Evanston needs an attitude of gratitude for having NU. Hopefully the permits are approved in a timely manner and we can begin a new chapter in NU football
At this point, the coaches will have a construction schedule provided by the design team rather than the construction team. Such a schedule tends to be somewhat optimistic. 2016 would be what such a schedule would probably say. I, of course, do not know but I doubt the coaches are lying at all. Just going with the best information they have in hand.

The schedule at this phase is based on published schedules of how long permitting takes and guesses as to backorder times for structural steel, etc. They rarely take into account weather delays and other items which mount up during a construction project.

Judging from similar projects I have worked on, if they have the funding in place now to start, then Fall 2016 is a bit of a stretch but Fall 2017 is very reasonable and it being open for practices before a bowl game at the end of 2016 is attainable.

We were told it would be completed for his Freshman year. I think it was pretty big in our decision, not because of the building itself, but because it showed that the school was finally going all in on the football program. Let's face it, NU sports haven't been much of a priority to the school. If you look at Stanford, they have better academics and more support for their football program. I am hoping that the new facilities are a sign of more support from the University to our program.

WOW! to be honest, I'm sorry to hear that. Not that it would be ready but that they told you it would be ready. I just don't believe that is a possibility. I don't know anything but that would mean, if they started today, it would take 14-20 months to complete. I don't think a building of that nature can be built that fast. 20 months would be the middle of Jango's freshman year, right? I would be excited to hear that it would be started by his freshman year because that sounds more realistic.

Hope I am wrong and full of pessimism but they have been talking about this building for along time. I don't like the idea that a guy like you, with so much enthusiasm for his son, would be made a promise that can't be kept. Perhaps I should just take their word for it and celebrate, but I'm skeptical.

WOW! to be honest, I'm sorry to hear that. Not that it would be ready but that they told you it would be ready. I just don't believe that is a possibility. I don't know anything but that would mean, if they started today, it would take 14-20 months to complete. I don't think a building of that nature can be built that fast. 20 months would be the middle of Jango's freshman year, right? I would be excited to hear that it would be started by his freshman year because that sounds more realistic.

Hope I am wrong and full of pessimism but they have been talking about this building for along time. I don't like the idea that a guy like you, with so much enthusiasm for his son, would be made a promise that can't be kept. Perhaps I should just take their word for it and celebrate, but I'm skeptical.
The fact the University has attained the funding and they are in the process of getting the permits is fine with me. I am guessing that Jango will redshirt anyway as to put on more size while keeping his speed. I am a huge fan of redshirting anyway. Would love to see my son and the rest of his class get 4 years in that new facility, but it is what it is. Fitz and them never guaranteed us a completion date. I think they stated they are hoping to have it completed then. Fitz does NOT use the usual recruiting tactics used by most programs. He is a straight shooter who always upholds his and the Universities principles above anything else. Fitz had plenty of opportunities to not be honest or bend the recruiting rules, he never did. I honestly trust him, more than that I trust him to mentor and Coach my son.

"Sorry?" Really?

Fitz has a tough job. NU would not tolerate ANYTHING that tarnishes the University. He has to, and I am certain wants to, recruit ethically and honestly. He has to do this against schools with better facilities, fan support, tradition, and success. He has to recruit kids across the nation who not only are good players, but must have academics that will be accepted by admissions. Most recruits as much as they say care about academics, they don't. Most care about big time football. They care about bragging rights. Fitz with a lower recruiting budget than most has to convince a recruit that NU is the school for them. That the teams like OSU, ND, PSU, Michigan, MSU, Whisky, Stanford, Oregon and others are not better choices. He is out recruiting your State school with less recruiting dollars and higher standards. Don't even get me started on that staff. Then Fitz, since he has no depth, can't have any injuries and compete against these football dynasties. We will never be able to compete for the best athletes. But I believe we can get the best all around players and develop them and compete as a team to beat these Jaugernauts. I love being the Underdog, and want to dethrone these teams. I believe in Fitz and this program.

Fitz has a tough job. NU would not tolerate ANYTHING that tarnishes the University. He has to, and I am certain wants to, recruit ethically and honestly. He has to do this against schools with better facilities, fan support, tradition, and success. He has to recruit kids across the nation who not only are good players, but must have academics that will be accepted by admissions. Most recruits as much as they say care about academics, they don't. Most care about big time football. They care about bragging rights. Fitz with a lower recruiting budget than most has to convince a recruit that NU is the school for them. That the teams like OSU, ND, PSU, Michigan, MSU, Whisky, Stanford, Oregon and others are not better choices. He is out recruiting your State school with less recruiting dollars and higher standards. Don't even get me started on that staff. Then Fitz, since he has no depth, can't have any injuries and compete against these football dynasties. We will never be able to compete for the best athletes. But I believe we can get the best all around players and develop them and compete as a team to beat these Jaugernauts. I love being the Underdog, and want to dethrone these teams. I believe in Fitz and this program.
In the off season, when we are dissecting the team down to the number of freckles on the left ankle of the OT, we need posts like this to just remember why we love being Cats fans.

Thanx CD.

-G

Amen.

In Gladeskat's case, he's a contrarian. Just recently he was defending Fitz. He goal is to create thoughtful controversy. I seriously doubt he wants Fitz fired.
Glades is a contrarian but not necessarily in this case. I see him defending our coaching staff. Simultaneously, I see him stating that we need to take the Illini very seriously and recognize that we HAVE to dominate them (not squeak by but dominate) in order too consider ourselves as climbing to the next wrung of the B1G ladder. These are not mutually exclusive viewpoints.

The fact that the last five years against the Illini is not in keeping with the goals of either the fans or the coaches and that a continued similar trend against the Illini has to be a key indicator of the success of the coaching staff is also not at variance with either statement above.

Reactions: NJCat83588

And how do you know this exactly?

Not according to their board moderator, Doug Bucshon. He feels they have been recruiting at least as well as NU and even better than NU last year. Considering the best way to evaluate recruiting is how well players and teams do on the field, one has to wonder if he's right. In the past 3 years, Illinois against NU has gone from 14-50 (2012) to 34-37 (2013) to 47-33 (2014), and from 2 to 4 to 6 wins.

Just sayin'. We've GOT to right the ship, beat Illinois, and go bowling this year.

Their board moderator is an assclown for thinking that. We have not lost a recruit to Illinois in recent memory. Aaron Bailey was the last Illinois pledge that had an NU offer, but he was told we would not take him as QB when Alviti (who rejected the Illini) committed, so not sure that counts. Before that, you have to go back to I think to a kid whose brother was at Illinois. And I think he may be the only one since 1995.

We do have to right the ship though. Our recent troubles do not have anything to do with being outrecruited by Illinois.

Their board moderator is an assclown for thinking that. We have not lost a recruit to Illinois in recent memory. Aaron Bailey was the last Illinois pledge that had an NU offer, but he was told we would not take him as QB when Alviti (who rejected the Illini) committed, so not sure that counts. Before that, you have to go back to I think to a kid whose brother was at Illinois. And I think he may be the only one since 1995.

We do have to right the ship though. Our recent troubles do not have anything to do with being outrecruited by Illinois.

Don't forget Darius Mosely in the 2013 class chose Illinois over NU. Who we beat out for recruits means nothing if our recruits don't perform and theirs do. See MRCat95's excellent post on stars and ratings.

Ok, I admit it. SciCat, Glidecat and PurplePile Driver are correct. I suffered a mini Turk seizure and ripped on Fitz a bit too much. No letters to Phillips have been written...yet. However, I get tired of reading all this "we beat Illinois all the time in recruiting" and then lose to them on the football field. The Illinois game needs to be taken more seriously, IMO. It's embarrassing to be beaten by Illinois, and I don't care what excuses the apple polishers make for such a humiliating loss. Chairs and blackboards should be busted for this game.

Because the coaches took the best information available to them at the time and shared it with a recruit?

It's amazing how condescending people around here are getting about the new facility. It's as if they're talking about their own private house. It's also amazing how people fill in the blanks when they don't have the full story.

Just plain sad.

It's amazing how condescending people around here are getting about the new facility. It's as if they're talking about their own private house. It's also amazing how people fill in the blanks when they don't have the full story.

Just plain sad.

I don't know the first thing about the status of the facilities. I doubt that the coaches know every single detail either.

What I do know for sure is that there is no way in hell Fitz and the staff would outright lie to recruits. CatsDad would likely attest. They're sharing the best information they have available.

Reactions: lunker35 and SciCat
When will the facilities be done ? Does anyone know for sure ? I know they are having trouble with permits because it is being built on a landfill..
Don't think anyone knows but even if the start digging now, it will be take at least 2 years to complete. Summer building season is about half over.

I don't know the first thing about the status of the facilities. I doubt that the coaches know every single detail either.

What I do know for sure is that there is no way in hell Fitz and the staff would outright lie to recruits. CatsDad would likely attest. They're sharing the best information they have available.
There is no way Fitz or his staff would lie about that. They just pass on what they hear. They are just as anxious as we are to get it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT