ADVERTISEMENT

OT: World Cup Open Thread to Entertain Us In the Runup to Bowl Season

The US is playing very well so far. Soccer can be very cruel with the one off fast breaks. But man, suffocating midfield game being able to recover the ball often very high up on the field.

Reactions: DaCat
I hope the USA keeps playing on the offense, trying to score a 2nd goal. Now's no time to start playing prevent.

Reactions: NUCat320
The Iranian players did not sing the anthem before in the WC. As an amplifier of the women's struggles in the country. And that 100% reverberates in Tehran. Supporters in the stands have also flown banner of support to the struggles in the country.

Well today they sand the anthem. Maybe they hate the US more than they hate women's right being crushed. Or maybe I am just reading too much into this.

High stakes baby!
The Iranian players were told they must sing, or else their families would suffer. Not joking. Just a miserable situation there.

• Angry
Reactions: GatoLouco
I hope the US, specifically the midfield, has legs and lungs to keep this up.

I can envision Iran making adjustments to stop the right side of the US attack. The Dest/Weah combo (I guess also Musah) was where most of the offense went through.

Having a second half as good as the first one would be a bit unrealistic. Iran did not have a single shot at the half.

It is going to be nerve wrecking to close this out

These subs are deciding to try to win this 1-0. It works, it was the best decision. It doesn't and the coach is an idiot who gave up on trying to score.

Reactions: NUCat320
These subs are deciding to try to win this 1-0. It works, it was the best decision. It doesn't and the coach is an idiot who gave up on trying to score.
Sometimes the best defense is a good offense. If the ball is on Iran's side of the field, then it's not on the USA's side.

(Of course, overextending can lead to quick counterattacks. But how many chances has Iran had this half?)

But not having Pulisic certainly changes the equation.

As someone who still doesn’t watch enough soccer to know what I’m seeing, I learn so much from Stu Holden. I think he’s excellent.

animation flag GIF by aap

Football Amsterdam GIF by Manne Nilsson

Great game by USA! Our subs gave me a nervous breakdown.

I had to do my damn job this afternoon and so couldn't watch this game. Great to see they won! Amazing... I go work for a couple hours and then come back to find the US has advanced and JON was let go. Busy afternoon!!

I had to do my damn job this afternoon and so couldn't watch this game. Great to see they won! Amazing... I go work for a couple hours and then come back to find the US has advanced and JON was let go. Busy afternoon!!
Same here. Crazy, some places actually expect you to work and perform. Maybe we should apply for a job on NU’s football staff!

Same here. Crazy, some places actually expect you to work and perform. Maybe we should apply for a job on NU’s football staff!
I watched some of the replay this evening. I don't know how they could see their coach. He was wearing camo!

Confirmed that Pulisic was hospitalized with an abdominal (read: testicles) injury. He says he’ll be available to Knock out the Knetherlands on Saturday.

As an American citizen of Polish and Belgian heritage, it looked like this would be a banner World Cup for me. Alas, Belgium. Just. Can’t. Finish.

Lukaku is going to be regretting the final minutes for a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT