ADVERTISEMENT

OT: World Cup Open Thread to Entertain Us In the Runup to Bowl Season

Ugh. Two opportunities missed. This one should be tied, or could be tied anyway.

Pulisic botched the early opportunity and now Ream.

@corbi296 you’re a fair weather fan and you disgust me.
LOL, nice try but no, I am not really a USMNT fan, more of an interested observer. My allegiance when it comes to National team soccer lies elsewhere.

US lacks a true finisher/striker. Pulisic ain’t it.
Several teams lack one. In the past everyone played an old school “9”. You would play a “striker”, you would just go with the best available.

Modern soccer, if you don’t have a great one, you don’t play a traditional “9”. Man City, before Haaland, might have been the best team in the world in the last 5 years, and did not play one.

Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Argentina, Brazil, not playing with a traditional true striker. Having said this, everyone would love to have Lewandowski on their team.

The difference so far is the two pinpoint cruises by Dumfries for the two Dutch goals. Otherwise pretty even game.

The difference so far is the two pinpoint cruises by Dumfries for the two Dutch goals. Otherwise pretty even game.
Arguably the US has been better apart from those two plays. Which, to be fair, were kind of moving penalties in terms of how well set the scorers were.

And the piss poor marking in the box. Dest cannot let a player cut through the US penalty box with 2 yards of space.

Reactions: NU Houston
Several teams lack one. In the past everyone played an old school “9”. You would play a “striker”, you would just go with the best available.

Modern soccer, if you don’t have a great one, you don’t play a traditional “9”. Man City, before Haaland, might have been the best team in the world in the last 5 years, and did not play one.

Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Argentina, Brazil, not playing with a traditional true striker. Having said this, everyone would love to have Lewandowski on their team.
Fair.

I’ll admit to yelling ‘DIVE’ a few times in the last five minutes. USMNT was good enough, except for the defensive lapses and failures to finish. (Lol. Bad Saturdays. Except for the turnovers…)

It’ll be fun to be in North America in ‘26. I hope we’ll be able to avoid Azteca.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
The US continues to not be a serious player in soccer
Mr in game dramatic! You are right, it was like that before the game, it will be so after the game.

But I think the future is brighter than ever. This team is young and I’ve never seen more young talent coming up than I see now.

And not so serious soccer powers have shocked the world. Greece 2004 being the most evident example that comes to mind

Reactions: DaCat and NUCat320
Mr in game dramatic! You are right, it was like that before the game, it will be so after the game.

But I think the future is brighter than ever. This team is young and I’ve never seen more young talent coming up than I see now.

And not so serious soccer powers have shocked the world. Greece 2004 being the most evident example that comes to mind
I think I agree. It's a young squad and getting better, but we need to find that guy who can put it in the net.

Reactions: DaCat

I agree with you regrading the young talent but the mental breakdowns suggest they don’t have the experience and ability for that talent to shine under the pressures of playing against a prime time opponent on the World Cup Stage. It may be a coaching and preparation issue. I was not impressed by Berhalter. .

Ninety percent of the teams all say the same thing about getting a guy to put it in the net.
Pulisic is in his early 20s and has scored in nearly 40% of his national team appearances. He’s a unique talent.

Given that Gio and Ferreira are 20 and 21, and Weah 22, there’s a reasonable expectation they’ll get better. We’ll have goal-scorers in 3 1/2 years.

And now I’ll forget their names for two years, but I love this stuff.

Ninety percent of the teams all say the same thing about getting a guy to put it in the net.
I'm sure. But 3 goals in 4 games seems a bit pathetic. I guess that's the game.

U.S. second youngest team in the WC.With young players come mistakes and the only way you get experience is by playing.We see that scenario in every sport whether in college or pros.Very valuable experience for the U.S.and in 2026 the tournament will be played in North America.This young team has 4 years to get better as a team and individually and with many games on our own turf the U.S. can really be a legitimate threat to compete for the FIFA Trophy.

In 2026 the W.C. will be hosted by three countries.The U.S. Canada and Mexico.First time ever that will occur.And no restrictions on beer sales.GO U.S.A.

In 2026 the W.C. will be hosted by three countries.The U.S. Canada and Mexico.First time ever that will occur.And no restrictions on beer sales.GO U.S.A.
And the good thing is the host countries automatically qualify.

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
I agree with you regrading the young talent but the mental breakdowns suggest they don’t have the experience and ability for that talent to shine under the pressures of playing against a prime time opponent on the World Cup Stage. It may be a coaching and preparation issue. I was not impressed by Berhalter. .
You are right but that’s a part of the game, developing and hoping for the best.

Ask any Belgian fan if it’s not frustrating having had a favorite to win it and no trophy to show for it. And they even have the Euros which for the involved teams is just about as important as the WC.

Portugal had the best midfield in the world in the late 90’s and early 2000’s. Golden generation. Did not win anything. Until they did, a decade later.

If the best roster always won it Brazil would have 20 world cups anyway. It’s still just one team taking the hardware home.

You are right but that’s a part of the game, developing and hoping for the best.

Ask any Belgian fan if it’s not frustrating having had a favorite to win it and no trophy to show for it. And they even have the Euros which for the involved teams is just about as important as the WC.

Portugal had the best midfield in the world in the late 90’s and early 2000’s. Golden generation. Did not win anything. Until they did, a decade later.

If the best roster always won it Brazil would have 20 world cups anyway. It’s still just one team taking the hardware home.
As a life long fan of the Azzurri, I know the World Club Champions Club is a very select one. For the US, the next step should be regular quarterfinals with a chance at the semifinals. A country our size with the resources we have going 30 plus years since we made a serious push to develop a competitive International caliber soccer program should be further along by now.

As a life long fan of the Azzurri, I know the World Club Champions Club is a very select one. For the US, the next step should be regular quarterfinals with a chance at the semifinals. A country our size with the resources we have going 30 plus years since we made a serious push to develop a competitive International caliber soccer program should be further along by now.
Corbi, don't get caught in this common fallacy trap. It's a bad take. Just be happy with each accomplishment, celebrate this group of players, and hope for another good run in 2026. A football rich nation like Italy failed to make it to the World Cup for the second straight cycle. Germany got knocked out in the group stage for the second straight WC. Nothing is guaranteed. China and other largely populated nations should be FIFA giants but are really bad despite their efforts to invest and improve.

Corbi, don't get caught in this common fallacy trap. It's a bad take. Just be happy with each accomplishment, celebrate this group of players, and hope for another good run in 2026. A football rich nation like Italy failed to make it to the World Cup for the second straight cycle. Germany got knocked out in the group stage for the second straight WC. Nothing is guaranteed. China and other largely populated nations should be FIFA giants but are really bad despite their efforts to invest and improve.
You may be right.

Reactions: DaCat

Uruguay’s Golden Generation went home yesterday too. They peaked 12 years ago.

It is a uniquely and wonderfully random sport.

Reactions: GatoLouco and DaCat
Argentina-Australia is just mind-numbing.

Everyone behind the ball at all times.

Even I, an every-four-years watcher, can see them settle into an actual 4-4-2 defensive posture.

(And what a goal, in a flash, by Messi!)

Last edited:
Wonderful goal by Messi. But agreed, it's a boring game though.

Goal was peak Messi. Half chance he made look easy.

Agreed that it’s not an exciting game. But the roos did not have much choice but try to make it a slow affair. Score happened so the 2nd half might be different.

Or it might not. Australia is probably the worst team left.

Don’t know how the ambient sound is coming through on Fox. But I find it incredible how, in a fairly boring game, the Argentinians in the stands still sound like they are at the La Bombonera, watching an intense local rivalry.

Geez, three shots combined, with Messi’s the only on goal, in the first half.

USMNT outshot NED 17/8 to 11/6, and outpossessed 58-42. Two huge breakdowns.

The quality of this thread has improved markedly, in my view.

The earlier discussion re proposed rules changes (such as abolition of offside, etc.) managed to combine a high degree of ignorance and arrogance.

Reactions: thewildcat2011
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT