ADVERTISEMENT

OT: World Cup Open Thread to Entertain Us In the Runup to Bowl Season

I try to refrain from conspiracy theories, but man does this not look good.
The Twitterati response:
RIP, a legend: 40%
RIP, did they murder him?: 35%
Tough break, I think the COVID vaccine killed him: 24.9999%
He violate Qatari law, harassed our leadership, and I bet they try to spin it as murder: .0001%

Not good. What a disaster.

Was detained for wearing a rainbow shirt at the US opener. Had spent time in Qatari medical care. Was given an Uber to the hospital after CPR was attempted.

One of my son’s wife is Colombian so I try. I really do try.

I watch and a team gets the ball near the goal, but as usual, it’s doesn’t mean a thing. Nothing happens. (When an American football gets inside the 20, it means something, dammit)

90 minutes and maybe one or two important things happen in a very, very, very, very long time. I’m not sure how long because I’m asleep by the end.

The reason the rest of the world does not have a viable space program is because soccer - otherwise known as fooooooooootball - never taught citizens of the planet what a countdown is.

Oh, doesn't Switzerland play soccer? Couldnt they teach Europe how to stop a clock? No, no, no, let's just add 5 minutes at the end for no apparent reason. No, make it 6. It's time for the Swiss to step up!

I'll give them this. Football is a better name for their game. Maybe we could call our game Entertaining Ball.

I love watching a skinny life-support system for legs roll around in agony after getting brushed by another player’s nylon shorts. Oh the agony!

Another son, who played the game, told me that part of the game is strategic resting. Why don't the announcers ever point out the players who are good at resting while the game is proceeding. Now there's a part of the game I could relate to.

Here's more: “No, StreamCat, you don’t understand, that ball is not out of bounds. Even though it's touching out of bounds, a tiny sliver of it is up there somewhere hanging in the vacinity of the line. Only a skilled referee can ascertain in which part of the space-time continuum the ball exists. It has someting to do with particle-wave paradox.“ Or it's just stupid.

Finally, the fans have costumes, ritual cheers, beer bottles for weapons, taunts, naked threats, and Molotov cocktails. Why? Because secretly they're bored, too.

Here's more: “No, StreamCat, you don’t understand, that ball is not out of bounds. Even though it's touching out of bounds, a tiny sliver of it is up there somewhere hanging in the vacinity of the line. Only a skilled referee can ascertain in which part of the space-time continuum the ball exists. It has someting to do with particle-wave paradox.“ Or it's just stupid.
In Entertaining Ball, we have the same line thing, and we spend eight minutes asking DID HE BREAK THE PLANE? THE BALL’S SOMEWHERE IN THERE. OH LOOK, ITS BEHIND HIS KNEE. DID HE BREAK THE PLANE? INSUFFICIENT VIDEO EVIDENCE, AGAIN!

I like that they know how to celebrate properly after scoring. (Soccer players, that is, BECAUSE IT’S THE WORLD’S GREATEST JOY!)

In Entertaining Ball, we have the same line thing, and we spend eight minutes asking DID HE BREAK THE PLANE? THE BALL’S SOMEWHERE IN THERE. OH LOOK, ITS BEHIND HIS KNEE. DID HE BREAK THE PLANE? INSUFFICIENT VIDEO EVIDENCE, AGAIN!
Oh, crap. That's an excellent point. I hereby withdraw my post and ask the board’s forgiveness. 😀

The main reason Americans cannot get into football is the same reason the rest of the world will never get into baseball. It requires being addicted to it from a young age. So you get to the point of understanding the nuances of what you are looking at and what to look forward to.

American football might well be renamed handegg. Fits better.

Welcome to Monday Night Hand Egg. Tan tan tan tan.

Reactions: corbi296
I was pretty much done with this World Cup once Spain went out, but now I think I am firmly behind Argentina. Messi is the best in the world and he should win a World Cup before he's done.

Reactions: NUCat320
I missed the first half hour of Morocco-France, but holy crap a bicycle kick ‘off the woodwork’! Wow!

Big second half coming for the Atlas Lions.

Morocco is fun to watch. Just hope they can score one on Lloris who is stopping everything including that bicycle kick.

Great control - and gravity - in a tight space.

It appears we’re headed to an ideal result, with two Cinderellas and two of the best in the final.

Regardless of today’s outcome, bowl season is here and North Texas-Boise was a thriller. (Well, the score was close anyway.)

I want Messi to win. It’s a great sport where one of the all time greats kind of looks like he’s wearing his dad’s clothes.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosboot
A brilliant coaching move by Argentina to start DiMaria, who is shredding the French defense. He drew the penalty that resulted in Messi's PK, and then scores the second on that counterattack. MVP of the first half.

So far France is playing like a team in Serie B.

Watching on Telemundo. Fox announcers talk too much about history rather than the game.

I spoke too soon. What a change of fortune.

Finally a game.

Conversely both penalties were BS calls. Total flops.
I was very confused on both. I don’t know they are bad calls or not. But it seems they were not reviewed enough. Both seem situations you can interpret as the defender was there, and it was not his fault the attacker trips on his legs. Though in the 2nd there is also some serious hand issues.

Unpopular take perhaps: I don’t care for Messi and think there’s been incredible pressure to crown him after an undeniable career worthy of GOAT discussions.

But the dude is an a hole. He benefits greatly from smartly staying quiet off the pitch. On the pitch he’s a total a hole without most noticing as he does not make a lot of gestures or dramatic expressions.

I was very confused on both. I don’t know they are bad calls or not. But it seems they were not reviewed enough. Both seem situations you can interpret as the defender was there, and it was not his fault the attacker trips on his legs. Though in the 2nd there is also some serious hand issues.

Unpopular take perhaps: I don’t care for Messi and think there’s been incredible pressure to crown him after an undeniable career worthy of GOAT discussions.

But the dude is an a hole. He benefits greatly from smartly staying quiet off the pitch. On the pitch he’s a total a hole without most noticing as he does not make a lot of gestures or dramatic expressions.
What a weird take.

Reactions: hoosboot
I just disagree. I think this ref has been really good and got both right.
They offset each other so it won’t be viewed as a big deal but both were bad calls. A penalty call is essential awarding a goal. In my opinion fouls have to be clear and determinative in order for them to be called in a World Cup final. I would have preferred a no call in both instances.

They offset each other so it won’t be viewed as a big deal but both were bad calls. A penalty call is essential awarding a goal. In my opinion fouls have to be clear and determinative in order for them to be called in a World Cup final. I would have preferred a no call in both instances.
I mean, you’re just wrong.

just an incredible final extra period.

As a proud Polish-American, my countrymen have been excellent.

If there was just some way to know whose opinion is also backed up by trained professionals at the peak of their career and multiple levels of video review, and whose is just a lasagna fart in the wind. Oh well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT