ADVERTISEMENT

OT: World Cup Open Thread to Entertain Us In the Runup to Bowl Season

The current coach has improved the team, but it is time for a change.

You're right of course. "Grumpy" and "old" are adjectives my wife often uses to describe me. You've spoken with her recently, right? 🥴
Yes, we have been conversing while the 5 of you youngsters on the board that actually care about Soccer debate rules changes that might result in a shot on goal. You can have her back for the next 4 years😀

Reactions: corbi296
The quality of this thread has improved markedly, in my view.

The earlier discussion re proposed rules changes (such as abolition of offside, etc.) managed to combine a high degree of ignorance and arrogance.
Yeah, but also PKs suck.

Roberto Baggio lololololololololol

Mbappe putting on a show against Poland. Two deadly goals and France is through to the next round.

France is good.There last game against Tunisia they started 9 players who are basically 2nd string to give their main guys a couple of extra days of rest.Very impressive team.

France is good.There last game against Tunisia they started 9 players who are basically 2nd string to give their main guys a couple of extra days of rest.Very impressive team.
If England wins against Senegal today, the upcoming France-England match will be one of the best of the tournament. France looks vulnerable in the midfield because both Kante and Pogba are out with injuries.

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
Spain continues with their philosophy that they don't want to score a goal unless it's on some cute, no look pass. It doesn't count more if the goal can be described as clever.

Spain continues with their philosophy that they don't want to score a goal unless it's on some cute, no look pass. It doesn't count more if the goal can be described as clever.
It's not as bad as it used to be in the height of Barcelona's dominance. Luis Enrique is a Barcelona guy, played there and actually took over after Guardiola went to Man City.

Term often used is Tiki-taka. I fall on the side of those, and there are many, that prefer describing it as boring.

Just incredible that you can have these stats at 1/2 time:

Ball Possession - Morocco 31% - 69% Spain
Shots - Morocco 3 - 1 Spain

• Haha
Reactions: NUCat320
It's not as bad as it used to be in the height of Barcelona's dominance. Luis Enrique is a Barcelona guy, played there and actually took over after Guardiola went to Man City.

Term often used is Tiki-taka. I fall on the side of those, and there are many, that prefer describing it as boring.

My wife is Spanish so I have been following Spain for a number of years. This style was exciting to watch back in 2010, but now it is just boring. It reminds me a lot of this classic Simpsons' clip.

Real Madrid is the power in Spain these days. It's time to end the dominance of Barcelona on the Spanish National Team. Another failure at the World Cup for Spain and that maddening style.

Real Madrid is the power in Spain these days. It's time to end the dominance of Barcelona on the Spanish National Team. Another failure at the World Cup for Spain and that maddening style.
What about Fake Madrid?

What a goal, and what runs, by Neymar. We’ll get some entertainment value in these final 15.

What a goal, and what runs, by Neymar. We’ll get some entertainment value in these final 15.
Awesome goal by Neymar. It looks like the Brazil national diving team will be going through unless Croatia pulls a stunner in the last 15 minutes.

I really dislike Neymar but that was a thing of beauty.

Croatia is like the Queen of advancing on penalties. Perennial decent team that overachieves in big moments.

Why in international soccer are countries referred to in the plural? Example- "And Brazil are out!" In all other circumstances, countries are singular entities ("China is the most populous country in the world").

Messi's assist was sublime.

Sublime Messi's assist was.

yoda GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Hungry Jack
I was going to comment that I’d never noticed a team use a dude to lay behind the wall, and how that was pretty cool, but that guy probably could have had some value marking a Dutch player.

I was going to comment that I’d never noticed a team use a dude to lay behind the wall, and how that was pretty cool, but that guy probably could have had some value marking a Dutch player.
That's a common tactic for free kicks.

Dutch made a great comeback, and I didn't like all the diving by Argentina. Overall it was entertaining, sometimes resembled hockey with the bench clearing near brawl.

Why in international soccer are countries referred to in the plural? Example- "And Brazil are out!" In all other circumstances, countries are singular entities ("China is the most populous country in the world").
Because soccer is dumb

(ducks)

Reactions: NU Houston
Because soccer is dumb

(ducks)
No, because soccer is special.

My son really wants to go to a World Cup game in 2026. There will be 5-6 games played here in Houston. I think it would be fun. Hopefully we get to see Japan vs. Uruguay.

Reactions: corbi296
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT