ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: An all Big Ten NCAA Championship Game?

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
Although almost everyone has Kentucky penciled in to win the NCAA Mens' Tourney, with Notre Dame having exposed their weaknesses, Wisconsin has to have a decent chance of pulling the upset. Michigan State looks like an easier road to the Championship Game so what say you as to the likelihood we can actually be watching an all Big Ten Championship game next week?

Originally posted by pawildcat:
Both are underdogs, and the odds of both winning are pretty slim.
Good point. Still, with 11 voters it is interesting no one has given it a 0% chance that both will be playing for the National Championship. To a Northwestern fan those are pretty good odds.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I'd love to see it, but as pawildcat pointed out, they're both dogs . . . the chances are certainly better than a needle in a haystack, but 25% is a bit high. Realistically, there's probably something like one chance in ten that they both pull upsets. Not even sure which is more likely, but both should be terrific games.

I was also thinking there should be a one in 10 choice in the poll. Seriously, though, are there any two teams it would be sweeter to knock off than Duke and Kentucky?

If you respect the updated, season-long metrics of kenpom, Michigan State has a 30% change of winning, and Wisconsin has a 35% chance of winning. Help me stats people, but I believe that this means that the chance of an all B1G Championship Game per kenpom is 10.5%

For as much as I would love to see an MSU vs. UW final, a Duke/Kentucky final would also be pretty great. And either of the other two combinations would be fun, too. It's a no lose situation as a college basketball fan!

Originally posted by backdoorpass:

For as much as I would love to see an MSU vs. UW final, a Duke/Kentucky final would also be pretty great. And either of the other two combinations would be fun, too. It's a no lose situation as a college basketball fan!
That's my feeling as well. I'll certainly be rooting for MSU and Wisconsin, but in reality, that Duke-UK game is probably the game I want to watch. That would be amazing.

Nah. Agree it would be a good game, but both those teams have won quite enough to suit me. I want at least the Badgers to get in there.

I'm not sure how you came up with your choices. The answer is some where between 0 and 25 percent. If you figure all teams are equal, then it would be 1/2 * 1/2 or 1/4 aka 25%. Since Wisconsin and MSU are underdogs, I'll say it's about a 1/4 chance each team wins so 12.5% chance we see an all big ten final.

Originally posted by shakes3858:
I'm not sure how you came up with your choices. The answer is some where between 0 and 25 percent. If you figure all teams are equal, then it would be 1/2 * 1/2 or 1/4 aka 25%. Since Wisconsin and MSU are underdogs, I'll say it's about a 1/4 chance each team wins so 12.5% chance we see an all big ten final.
Big 10 Bias.

Palindrome Opinion: Most likely 12.21%. So the closest/best option in the poll choices is 0%.

Palindrome Hedge: Maybe 13.31% or 14.41%. Possibly even 15.51% But less than a 11.11% chance that it would be 16.61% or higher.

Wise guys say:

The odds of Kentucky meeting Duke in the NCAA Championship have been set at -150.
Kentucky vs. Michigan State and Wisconsin vs. Duke are the second-most likely matchups, tied with +300 odds.
A Wisconsin vs. Michigan State final is the least likely outcome, having been given +700 odds.

This post was edited on 3/31 3:16 AM by Palindrome

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT