ADVERTISEMENT

"Rebuilding year" without BMac?

freewillie07

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2017
One thing I've been thinking about a lot ahead of this season is how much I am going to miss BMac after he graduates. I'm sure you all feel the same way. I'm sure Collins does, too. After all, he's been the maestro of the NU offense for years.

So that gets me wondering about what the 2018-19 Wildcats will look like, and what we should expect. If Law sticks around for a fifth year (which I really hope he does, would be great to see him shine at the new W-R), he should be in the All Big Ten conversation, along with Pardon. Falzon will be an upperclassman. We'll have the highly rated freshman class. Turner will be eligible.

In theory, Collins has built a deep program in which should compete year in and year out. But, will there be a post-BMac drop off? Should we expect this year's veteran team to be the most likely in the next couple of years to contend for a Big Ten title?

Just some thoughts.

For sure the cupboard will not be bare and in some ways it would be poetically fitting for Law to be the marque player in the open ing season at the new WR arena. I could see some drop off. It will be a new situation and in some ways a test of CCC's ability to sustain a highly competitive program over the long haul.

One thing I've been thinking about a lot ahead of this season is how much I am going to miss BMac after he graduates. I'm sure you all feel the same way. I'm sure Collins does, too. After all, he's been the maestro of the NU offense for years.

So that gets me wondering about what the 2018-19 Wildcats will look like, and what we should expect. If Law sticks around for a fifth year (which I really hope he does, would be great to see him shine at the new W-R), he should be in the All Big Ten conversation, along with Pardon. Falzon will be an upperclassman. We'll have the highly rated freshman class. Turner will be eligible.

In theory, Collins has built a deep program in which should compete year in and year out. But, will there be a post-BMac drop off? Should we expect this year's veteran team to be the most likely in the next couple of years to contend for a Big Ten title?

Just some thoughts.
Always impossible to say, but on paper, we should have the most incredible talent at NU ever. I expect a slight drop off in the beginning as the team figures out its new identity without its leader, but I don't think that will last. The only concern will be if none of the new guards are able to truly handle the ball and beat pressure (full court or even just hard half court man defense).

Always impossible to say, but on paper, we should have the most incredible talent at NU ever. I expect a slight drop off in the beginning as the team figures out its new identity without its leader, but I don't think that will last. The only concern will be if none of the new guards are able to truly handle the ball and beat pressure (full court or even just hard half court man defense).

Isiah Brown has a handle and can beat full court pressure with his dribble...his turnovers last year weren't on the press

As the original poster said, we'll have a lot of returning talent and three very strong starters in Law, Falzon and Pardon. I think we should expect a drop-off because Mac is that important. I'd guess that team will lose a few games it shouldn't lose, but make up for it with a few unexpected wins and hopefully be on the bubble again.

Just some thoughts.
Don't think the drop off will be very significant. A lot of talent will be here at all positions.

The pressure will be on Lathon to perform early in his career.

Brown as a JR, Ash as a SR should both be capable of providing stability at the position as Lathon develops in the system. Plus, the ballhandling skills of the rest of the team in 18-19 will be solid. Most of the wings have had experience bringing the ball up, so it should not all fall on the Lead Guard. It will not be your father's (or slightly older brother's) NU MBB team where a press completely disrupts the team's flow. I would argue that the team would welcome a press and pick it apart for easy baskets, pushing the ball up the court quickly. We're in a whole new era of Cats basketball with respect to raw talent and athleticism.

What will be interesting to watch this year is how the offense flows when BMac is resting. It may give us some hint of the future. Last year it was pretty apparent that when BMac sat down, the offense stagnated. Hopefully that improves this year.

Reactions: harkesnu
Hopefully we're at a point now where "rebuilding year" means NIT.

No, hopefully a rebuilding year means something like what we saw last year.

Reflect on the fact that it's very likely that we may never have a team that is less talented than our team last year ever again under CCC's watch (and hopefully beyond).

Last edited:
Reflect on the fact that it's very likely that we may never have a team that is less talented than our team last year ever again under CCC's watch (and hopefully beyond).
I don't know how you can make that assertion until we know who will fill in for McIntosh. The point guard is the lynchpin of the offense and McIntosh is one of our best point guards ever. I'm sure Collins will always recruit good point guards, but McIntosh is special. We might not be able to simply "reload" at that position. His replacement might need a year of development before his production approaches McIntosh's.

In that event, I would hope we're at a point now where we have enough talent at the other positions that we would fall no lower than the NIT.

I don't know how you can make that assertion until we know who will fill in for McIntosh. The point guard is the lynchpin of the offense and McIntosh is one of our best point guards ever. I'm sure Collins will always recruit good point guards, but McIntosh is special. We might not be able to simply "reload" at that position. His replacement might need a year of development before his production approaches McIntosh's.

In that event, I would hope we're at a point now where we have enough talent at the other positions that we would fall no lower than the NIT.

Wow.

I would hope that we never even have to think of the word NIT ever again.

Mac started as and untested freshman, correct?

Mac started as and untested freshman, correct?
As I said: Mac is special. He made the Big Ten All-Freshman Team. He holds the Northwestern career and single-season assist records with a full season to go.

Wow.

You are delusional. Who's going to "reload" for McIntosh? Who's going to step right in and give us his production?

We're not Duke or Michigan State yet. There are going to be a couple of NITs along the way before we reach that level.

As I said: Mac is special. He made the Big Ten All-Freshman Team. He holds the Northwestern career and single-season assist records with a full season to go.

You are delusional. Who's going to "reload" for McIntosh? Who's going to step right in and give us his production?

We're not Duke or Michigan State yet. There are going to be a couple of NITs along the way before we reach that level.
Absolutely. There may be a year here and there when we don't reach either. And I am not convinced that last year's team had the least talented roster we will ever have either. I am guessing that BMac is better than some of our future point guards. Ditto for Lindsey at shooting guard, Law at small forward and Pardon at center. We will likely always be deeper but these guys are very good B1G players, regardless of high school rankings.

Wow.

I'm extremely bullish on NU hoops, but it's simply not realistic that this program is entirely beyond the NIT and only NCAA-bound.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect that the 2017-18 team repeats in the Big Dance. But without BMac, without Scottie, NU could absolutely be a bubble team again. So NIT might be where they land.

Now, if you said "I would hope that we never even have to think of the word CBI ever again," we'd be in total agreement.

UConn and Syracuse didn't make the tourney last year. Did Georgetown? Never say never.

UConn and Syracuse didn't make the tourney last year. Did Georgetown? Never say never.
It is funny how quickly I have become jaded. I would be disappointed by an NIT season. If I step back however and you told me that during the next ten years our worst season would be NIT, I'd take it. An NIT championship wouldn't be too disappointing.

The argument is premature. While we will lose NU’s best PG of all time, you are not projecting a RS Senior like Vic Law who will improve from his junior and senior year and become NU’s most talented wing player of all time. Also, Pardon will improve as a senior and Benson as a junior and that will be a net improvement for NU. Also Falzon will be better as a soph and Brown will be a more efficient player as a Junior. As for Lathon, without seeing him play, I will refrain from projections for him right now. My point is that it is possible that others will step up and compensate for the loss of McIntosh in 2018-2019 similar to how Lindsey, Law, McIntosh, Pardon, Skelly and Brown stepped up to compensate for the loss of Demps and Olah on last year’s squad.

I always get a chuckle out of prognostications where it is a given that every player will improve with each successive season. Some don't. Some regress or get hurt. But I'm just gonna enjoy the hell out of this season and let the chips fall where they may.

Reactions: JournCat
The argument is premature. While we will lose NU’s best PG of all time, you are not projecting a RS Senior like Vic Law who will improve from his junior and senior year and become NU’s most talented wing player of all time. Also, Pardon will improve as a senior and Benson as a junior and that will be a net improvement for NU. Also Falzon will be better as a soph and Brown will be a more efficient player as a Junior. As for Lathon, without seeing him play, I will refrain from projections for him right now. My point is that it is possible that others will step up and compensate for the loss of McIntosh in 2018-2019 similar to how Lindsey, Law, McIntosh, Pardon, Skelly and Brown stepped up to compensate for the loss of Demps and Olah on last year’s squad.

How does Pardon step up to replace a point guard? How can he contribute if there is no quality PG to initiate the offense and get him the ball? It's like having 4 all-B1G receivers and a horrible, inaccurate QB. Their play is dependent upon the QB (and OL), or in this case, the PG. This isn't just a matter of everyone stepping up their game. We have to have good PG play to be successful.

How does Pardon step up to replace a point guard? How can he contribute if there is no quality PG to initiate the offense and get him the ball? It's like having 4 all-B1G receivers and a horrible, inaccurate QB. Their play is dependent upon the QB (and OL), or in this case, the PG. This isn't just a matter of everyone stepping up their game. We have to have good PG play to be successful.

Lathon.

Let's hope.

It will be a completely different team in 2018?with its own strengths and weaknesses. It's own identity...I hope. My biggest concern is how well the team functions without B-Mac AND Lindsey. I think CCC will have a big challenge on his hands. Finding what I expect will be a much different way to win. Sure hope Brown and Ash and Lathon and Gaines and Turner give Collins some options he can work with. Their skill sets next year are not likely to have much in common with what we know B-Mac and Lindsey bring to the 2017-18 team. As Glades mentions, gotta find a straw or two to stir the drink.

GOUNUII

Actually we are not quite there, but soon. I have us as the #2 team in the B1G this year, so on the cusp. And while we aren't what Duke was today, we are in fact ahead of where Coach K was in year 4.

You may be right about an NIT or two, but then we'd be falling behind the Coach K plan and trajectory at Duke. Right now CCC is actually ahead of plan, so something would have to go wrong.

Mac is special and very good indeed, but I'm not sure I elevate him to the irreplaceable asset that you do. Perhaps, if this were a Carmody team bereft of talent and pipeline. However, Lathon comes in more highly regarded and recruited. And there is a lot more talent and experience. Let us see.

And while we aren't what Duke was today, we are in fact ahead of where Coach K was in year 4..
How do you figure? In Year 4 of the Coach K tenure, Duke was 24-10 and lost in the Second Round of the NCAA. They finished ranked 14th in the AP. Seems like at worst that is the same as NU, give K a slight edge for being ranked higher.

Year 5 saw K ranked as high as #2. I'd take that in CCC's fifth year......

Actually we are not quite there, but soon. I have us as the #2 team in the B1G this year, so on the cusp. And while we aren't what Duke was today, we are in fact ahead of where Coach K was in year 4.

You may be right about an NIT or two, but then we'd be falling behind the Coach K plan and trajectory at Duke. Right now CCC is actually ahead of plan, so something would have to go wrong.

Mac is special and very good indeed, but I'm not sure I elevate him to the irreplaceable asset that you do. Perhaps, if this were a Carmody team bereft of talent and pipeline. However, Lathon comes in more highly regarded and recruited. And there is a lot more talent and experience. Let us see.

I think everything has to go right for us to end up second in the B1G. Don't get me wrong, it's possible, but I think we might need to slow our roll here. We were 10-8 last year. A two game improvement gets us to 12-6. A very good record but might not be second. The reason I see it as difficult is that most every other team improved in the B1G. We could end the season in the top 25 and still be 4th in the conference.

I think everything has to go right for us to end up second in the B1G. Don't get me wrong, it's possible, but I think we might need to slow our roll here. We were 10-8 last year. A two game improvement gets us to 12-6. A very good record but might not be second. The reason I see it as difficult is that most every other team improved in the B1G. We could end the season in the top 25 and still be 4th in the conference.

Don't sleep on our chances of winning the B1G.

Good post.

Minnesota may be very good this year. I also think Iowa can make some noise in the middle of the pack. Iowa is going to be very good in two years. Wiscy has tons of talent, just needs to develop.

I think what's different for NU this year is the mental aspect. They're not carrying around baggage they did pack. Oh, and the bench. Never had a bench like that at NU.

No, hopefully a rebuilding year means something like what we saw last year.

Did you learn nothing from your delusional expectations of our football team?

Did you learn nothing from your delusional expectations of our football team?

Yes, I learned that high expectations aren't valid for the football program under the current regime and that we are actually a basketball school.

Stop stalking me.

Last edited:
I think people need to read up on Lathon. He has a great amount of potential and is more highly rated out of high school than BMac. My point is that our PG in 2018-2019 will have less responsibility on offense than Mac did with a depleted roster his frosh year with the continued development of our most talented wing player of all time at NU in Vic Law and continued development of Falzon, Pardon, Benson and Brown. I believe another issue is who replaces Lindsey. We have to hope that Gaines is as good as advertised which according to all reports he is.

As for this year, NU will compete for the upper tier in the Big 10 (MSU, Minny and PU and maybe Maryland are listed as top tier teams). MSU's talented freshmen never showed it on a consistent basis, but Bridges and FR Jackson are lottery picks per all the mock drafts that I have seen. Minny is a talented team, but lost 6'9" Forward Aaron Curry to a season ending knee injury and Purdue will be tough with PG Carsen Edwards, Forward Vince Edwards and Isaac Hawes at 7'2", 300 lbs. The issue is whether Hawes can stay on the floor more than 20-24 minutes a game and who will compensate for the loss of the BTN POY Caleb Swanigan. The point is that all of the teams have questions right now. NU has a shot with its most talented and deep roster 1-11 ever, but has to play with the same or more fire than they played last season. It will be fun and I will refrain from making comments on 2018-2019 as the 2017-2018 is here.

I think people need to read up on Lathon. He has a great amount of potential and is more highly rated out of high school than BMac. My point is that our PG in 2018-2019 will have less responsibility on offense than Mac did with a depleted roster his frosh year with the continued development of our most talented wing player of all time at NU in Vic Law and continued development of Falzon, Pardon, Benson and Brown. I believe another issue is who replaces Lindsey. We have to hope that Gaines is as good as advertised which according to all reports he is.

As for this year, NU will compete for the upper tier in the Big 10 (MSU, Minny and PU and maybe Maryland are listed as top tier teams). MSU's talented freshmen never showed it on a consistent basis, but Bridges and FR Jackson are lottery picks per all the mock drafts that I have seen. Minny is a talented team, but lost 6'9" Forward Aaron Curry to a season ending knee injury and Purdue will be tough with PG Carsen Edwards, Forward Vince Edwards and Isaac Hawes at 7'2", 300 lbs. The issue is whether Hawes can stay on the floor more than 20-24 minutes a game and who will compensate for the loss of the BTN POY Caleb Swanigan. The point is that all of the teams have questions right now. NU has a shot with its most talented and deep roster 1-11 ever, but has to play with the same or more fire than they played last season. It will be fun and I will refrain from making comments on 2018-2019 as the 2017-2018 is here.

I'm not saying Lathon doesn't have potential. But potential is very different from having a point guard who has proven himself time and again, including in NU's first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance and win.

As for who will replace Scottie, there's A.J. Turner and Miller Kopp, in addition to Gaines.

I am thrilled with the direction of the program, but I do think people tend to forget just how good the Big Ten conference is in basketball. Even with good coaching and the best recruits in school history, it will be extremely difficult to win the B1G.

I believe another issue is who replaces Lindsey. We have to hope that Gaines is as good as advertised which according to all reports he is.

AJ Turner started and played 30 minutes for an ACC team and reports this summer indicated he's good. Miller Kopp looks like he knows how to put his shoes on the right feet.

There's going to be a ton of experienced players, including at the guard spot, to help Lathon along.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT