ADVERTISEMENT

Season Ticket Renewals...

Sheffielder

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2004
Just checked my inbox and it looks like I had a season ticket renewal message sent to me mid-Feb. last year. I'm wondering if the timeline will be the same and what (literally) they will even have to say about where the games will be played. I've heard vague references to Soldier, Wrigley, and Seat Geek Stadium but ironically nothing actually official from the Athletic Dept or Ticket Sales Rep. Do we think that's quite because they're not actually sure what's going to happen yet...or where...or when?

I think NU would be wise to offer a good discount for ALL "home" games across multiple venues but also packages that include one or two venues. I worry this is really going to be a mess for those of us who would generally like to be at every home game.

Reactions: 2388bb
Just checked my inbox and it looks like I had a season ticket renewal message sent to me mid-Feb. last year. I'm wondering if the timeline will be the same and what (literally) they will even have to say about where the games will be played. I've heard vague references to Soldier, Wrigley, and Seat Geek Stadium but ironically nothing actually official from the Athletic Dept or Ticket Sales Rep. Do we think that's quite because they're not actually sure what's going to happen yet...or where...or when?

I think NU would be wise to offer a good discount for ALL "home" games across multiple venues but also packages that include one or two venues. I worry this is really going to be a mess for those of us who would generally like to be at every home game.
It’s on the Rock

The Ticket Office certainly has a challenge in coming up with a good plan for selling and allocating seating the next two years, probably in multiple venues, and then moving to a new permanent venue. I hope they're up to the task. I was not very satisfied with how things went when basketball went through this process.

A couple self-serving ideas I have would be: 1) renewing STH are allocated seats in the best seating tier at the price of the cheapest seating tier during the next two years; and 2) if you keep your season tickets during the next two years then you get a bump in your seating tier at the new Ryan Field. Ideally these ideas would entice people to continue getting tickets without costing NU an unreasonable amount of revenue.

The Ticket Office certainly has a challenge in coming up with a good plan for selling and allocating seating the next two years, probably in multiple venues, and then moving to a new permanent venue. I hope they're up to the task. I was not very satisfied with how things went when basketball went through this process.

A couple self-serving ideas I have would be: 1) renewing STH are allocated seats in the best seating tier at the price of the cheapest seating tier during the next two years; and 2) if you keep your season tickets during the next two years then you get a bump in your seating tier at the new Ryan Field. Ideally these ideas would entice people to continue getting tickets without costing NU an unreasonable amount of revenue.

Existing STHs really have no concern. Keep in mind all the people that dropped tickets last year go to the bottom of the list.

Reactions: ubercat and phatcat

Not sure how they could put out renewals if they don't even know where the games would be played

Not sure how they could put out renewals if they don't even know where the games would be played
I guess the good news is, they sort of have to tell us at that time, or they won't sell ANY STs. They probably know, but wanted the Ryan Field demo 😥 finalized. My hypothesis is that Wrigley will only be one or two games a year, maybe none, and the rest at SeatGeek and/or Soldier. Heck I'd rather go to DeKalb than Wrigley

For what it's worth, two of the players I spoke with in Las Vegas told me that next year's home games would be played at Soldier Field. That would make sense if the football team's primary concern is retaining its better players. Both guys I talked with are starters.

Last edited:
That would make sense if the football team's primary concern is retaining it's better players
Its *

Why would that help retain players? Every B1G game would be an away game, and the non-cons would be a mausoleum.

Regardless, I feel like any venue is going to feel like away games. I suppose that Soldier is better than Wrigley, but that's about it.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
Its *

Why would that help retain players? Every B1G game would be an away game, and the non-cons would be a mausoleum.

Regardless, I feel like any venue is going to feel like away games. I suppose that Soldier is better than Wrigley, but that's about it.
Because players do want to play in an NFL stadium. I get it. I was hoping SeatGeek would be the play for the early season games but either way Soldier > Wrigley. Wrigley sucks for football.

Reactions: No Chores
Its *

At least Soldier Field offers tailgating and an NFL field where players would enjoy playing. They certainly enjoyed playing in Allegiant stadium in December, and I and many others enjoyed watching them there. Wrigley, on the other hand, was awful and does not offer tailgating.

Because players do want to play in an NFL stadium. I get it. I was hoping SeatGeek would be the play for the early season games but either way Soldier > Wrigley. Wrigley sucks for football.
But Soldier Field is a dead NFL stadium walking, with the Bears looking to move to Arlington Heights.

But that's not really the issue. In my opinion, the team would rather play in an NFL stadium than Wrigley or any of the other options
I don’t disagree with that, but I would question playing Sat/Sun games back to back at Soldier.
They have had turf issues at Soldier for years, I’m not so sure the NFL would be happy with a college game being played on that turf before their games.

I don’t disagree with that, but I would question playing Sat/Sun games back to back at Soldier.
They have had turf issues at Soldier for years, I’m not so sure the NFL would be happy with a college game being played on that turf before their games.
Turf issues at Soldier Field are in the past. They used a different type of grass to re sod a few years ago and it has held up very well since

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
But that's not really the issue. In my opinion, the team would rather play in an NFL stadium than Wrigley or any of the other options
Soldier Field doesn't have the sparkle of other NFL stadiums that have an NFL future.

Soldier Field doesn't have the sparkle of other NFL stadiums that have an NFL future.
Again, not the issue. There are a limited number of choices available to NU as to where they play their home games, and Soldier Field is far and away the best. Where would you rather play those games?

Again, not the issue. There are a limited number of choices available to NU as to where they play their home games, and Soldier Field is far and away the best. Where would you rather play those games?
I'd prefer either SeatGeek or DeKalb, and it's not even close.

I'd prefer either SeatGeek or DeKalb, and it's not even close.
To each his own. Can't imagine the players would agree with you, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion. Why is it that you would prefer those two? I know nothing about either one. Is it tailgating, parking or something else?

Perhaps, but given ticket sales/attendance at Wrigley are likely to be much higher, I'd be surprised if we're not playing Wrigley games the next 2 seasons late in the seasons.

Football ticket revenue is going to be a problem the next 2 years even more than it was this year. Yeah we're at least getting a big bump up in conference distributions (2nd year of TV deal is a big increase and 12 team CFP will be another big increase), but I think you take a game or two at Wrigley each season if it means a couple more million for the AD.

We're at least fortunate to be in a situation where the timing matches the big increases in the TV deal + 12 team CFP starting, but I do think the AD will want some full games at Wrigley where possible. Those games are always going to have high attendance.

Perhaps, but given ticket sales/attendance at Wrigley are likely to be much higher, I'd be surprised if we're not playing Wrigley games the next 2 seasons late in the seasons.

Football ticket revenue is going to be a problem the next 2 years even more than it was this year. Yeah we're at least getting a big bump up in conference distributions (2nd year of TV deal is a big increase and 12 team CFP will be another big increase), but I think you take a game or two at Wrigley each season if it means a couple more million for the AD.

We're at least fortunate to be in a situation where the timing matches the big increases in the TV deal + 12 team CFP starting, but I do think the AD will want some full games at Wrigley where possible. Those games are always going to have high attendance.
You might very well be correct, but after the farce this year I wouldn't be interested in attending. Having to fill in a 2 foot deep hole near the goal line is not my idea of playing on a football field.

Wrigley turf tho

Not r

Lot harder to get the attendance there if it is not special. This last one was full because it was IA, and the attendance was something like 5-10 to 1 IA. But who else would that help? And they have so far made those games separate and they tend to be really expensive and are a real pain in the ass to get to

You might very well be correct, but after the farce this year I wouldn't be interested in attending. Having to fill in a 2 foot deep hole near the goal line is not my idea of playing on a football field.
That sequence would have been comical if it weren’t so dangerous and embarrassing. Yeesh. 🙈

For me, it’s most important that a) students have a good way to get there, and it works, and b) the team is able to operate a consistent day-before schedule.

Fan attendance will be rough and inconvenient either way.

I think the impact of the 2 years without a home field on recruiting is negligible.. The class of 2024 is done, and none of these kids will likely play in 2024 anyway. The class of 2025 will mostly take redshirts that year, so they will have their first playing year in the brand spanking new Ryan Field. As will the class of 2026.....

If NU is indeed playing at Soldier Field, the NFL will design the Bears schedule to avoid games on back to back days.

Reactions: No Chores
If NU is indeed playing at Soldier Field, the NFL will design the Bears schedule to avoid games on back to back days.
I hope that is the case, and that's what the players I talked to in Vegas, both starters, believe will be the case. This old man from Pa. will come out for games at Soldier Field, but not for games at any other locations. Tailgating and excellent nearby hotels seal the deal for me! :)

Aren't our home game dates already set?

Yes, other than the Eastern Illinois game. College schedules are set years in advance so the NFL just works around them. It's not guaranteed - there was a weekend last year where Temple and the Eagles played on consecutive days, for example - but they do the best they can.

Yes, other than the Eastern Illinois game. College schedules are set years in advance so the NFL just works around them. It's not guaranteed - there was a weekend last year where Temple and the Eagles played on consecutive days, for example - but they do the best they can.
Thanks! I'm feeling better and better about Soldier Field. What are your thoughts on where we will be playing for the next couple of years.

Thanks! I'm feeling better and better about Soldier Field. What are your thoughts on where we will be playing for the next couple of years.
Oddly enough,.coming from Wisc as I would be, Soldier is going to be more convenient than Wrigley. It only takes a little longer, has actual parking, and it's a football stadium. I'm sure we will get shunted over Wrigley here and there.

These games will be largely empty, or full of visiting fans. But I'll be there except probably OSU. Entirely sick of them.

I live within walking distance of Soldier Field so I would definitely prefer we play there. I understand why people traveling in from the suburbs don't like that idea, though, because driving to Soldier Field can be a nightmare. Unfortunately there isn't an option that'll make everyone happy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT