ADVERTISEMENT

transfer portal

Thanks for posting that link.

I love the use of the phrase "subpar NIL offerings." Thats an opinion, not a fact.

But I find it rather interesting/funny that Michigan is dealing with rejected potential transfers who have not gotten the job done in the classroom and there's (apparently) a bunch of supporters whining about it.

My dislike of that school in Ann Arbor is diminished a bit.

Juwan Howard should probably call Chris Collins and get some pointers on this "academics" thing.

Cam Spencer is on the move. Doesn't this mean he will have to sit out next season?
Holy Cow! I wonder what happened. Or did his big brother advise him to wait until teams are desperate for help, then enter the portal?

He's a grad transfer.

Lets just put it this way... IF Audige is moving on, Cam Spencer would be a damned good backup plan...

(and it wouldn't be crazy to think that Cam Spencer considered NU last year, but went to Rutgers because Collins and the program looked shaky... one year later, NU should be top of his list)

Reactions: IGNORE2
So who would you pick: Chase or Cam?
I would think familiarity w system and main guys along w defensive prowess would make chase more valuable than cam. Cam is more in the Berry role and we still have Berry.

To me it is a tough call.

Looking at statistics Chase played on average 3 more minutes per game.

Adjusting for minutes played I believe their stats would compare as follows:
Cam average 4.1 rebounds per game vs Chase 3.4
Cam averaged 2.2 steals per game vs Chase 2.4. This was closer than I had expected.
Cam averaged 14.4 ppg vs Chase 14.1
Cam had better fg% at 44% vs Chase 37%.
Cam's 3pt avg was 43% vs Chase .33%
Cam also had better assist average of 3.4 vs Chase 2.9.
Cam had better free throw percentage at 89% vs Chase 83%.
Chase was much better at blocked shots with 21 for the season vs Cam having 4.

From intangibles perspective Chase knows the NU system and has good relationship with players. Chase is a better defender and much of his impact can't be measured by statistics. When Chase gets hot he can completely take over a game.

Overall I'd probably take Cam over Chase.

Reactions: rogerkim and NJCat

Cam averaged 2.2 steals per game vs Chase 2.4. This was closer than I had expected.

From intangibles perspective Chase knows the NU system and has good relationship with players. Chase is a better defender and much of his impact can't be measured by statistics. When Chase gets hot he can completely take over a game.

Forgot to mention TO's where Cam had 50 (adjusted) for season vs Chase 82 which is a big factor.

I like Chase. He's my guy. Cam is a Joe Crispin type annoying opponent, I'd prefer not to have to root for him. But I guess I would.

Its a good question.
Obviously a guy like Spencer was also playing on a team that struggled on offense.
On the offensive side, Spencer wins.
Just better efficiency, shooting and ball-handling.
On the defensive side, Audige wins.
Overall, it nets out to be pretty close, because Spencer is a decent defender.

If Audige moves on, we should really chase Spencer.

Interesting that no NU players coming or going made this list:

Transfer Portal Top 150
Well, Roper is all potential and Beran underperformed his HS rating. Last year, not sure he was top five player on the team.

Inbound are all lesser program lottery tickets. Considering the number in the portal, none deserve to be. Doesn’t mean they can’t prove otherwise. I think we got good fits w Boo back and maybe chase too.

Well, Roper is all potential and Beran underperformed his HS rating. Last year, not sure he was top five player on the team.

Inbound are all lesser program lottery tickets. Considering the number in the portal, none deserve to be. Doesn’t mean they can’t prove otherwise. I think we got good fits w Boo back and maybe chase too.
Yeah, just shows how deep the portal is. Still a bit surprised that Langborg and/or Mullins didn't make the list but Brumbaugh did.

Its a good question.
Obviously a guy like Spencer was also playing on a team that struggled on offense.
On the offensive side, Spencer wins.
Just better efficiency, shooting and ball-handling.
On the defensive side, Audige wins.
Overall, it nets out to be pretty close, because Spencer is a decent defender.

If Audige moves on, we should really chase Spencer.
Spencer left for NIL cash, he’s not coming to NU. I’d like to be wrong and get ridiculed, but I don’t see this happening at all.

Spencer left for NIL cash, he’s not coming to NU. I’d like to be wrong and get ridiculed, but I don’t see this happening at all.
Well, since we only have one spot open and it appears to be designated for Chase Audige, I don't think anybody else is transferring in this year.

You get 13 scholarships.

Mullins, Langborg, Buie, Nicholson, Barnhizer, Berry, Hunger, Martinelli, Preston
plus 3 freshmen (Clayton, Barkley, Strauss). And Audige.

So, sure Spencer and Audige are probably both trying to leverage some (or more) NIL money. Or, in Chase's case, maybe some overseas pro money.

Well, since we only have one spot open and it appears to be designated for Chase Audige, I don't think anybody else is transferring in this year.

You get 13 scholarships.

Mullins, Langborg, Buie, Nicholson, Barnhizer, Berry, Hunger, Martinelli, Preston

So, sure Spencer and Audige are probably both trying to leverage some (or more) NIL money. Or, in Chase's case, maybe some overseas pro money.
My bet is Spencer gets paid more than Boo next season. That’s a shame.

• Wow
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy

You get 13 scholarships.

This would be the first time in a while we would be using all available scholarships

We don’t have a scholarship for him.
We don't yet know if we do. If Chase decides to come back we don't but if he does not... And we are talking contacting him not necessarily giving him an offer until the other situation is resolved. In the mean time, it might put some pressure on Audige to make his decision

We don't yet know if we do. If Chase decides to come back we don't but if he does not... And we are talking contacting him not necessarily giving him an offer until the other situation is resolved. In the mean time, it might put some pressure on Audige to make his decision

If you say so…

Kentucky and Indiana rumored to be in contact with Spencer.
"That report says IU is in contact with 6-foot-4 Spencer, along with a list that includes UConn, Georgetown, Kentucky, Miami and Texas.

Spencer led Rutgers in scoring last season, averaging 13.2 points on 44.4 percent shooting from the field overall. His shooting splits were impressive: 45.3 percent on twos, 43.4 percent on threes, and 89.4 percent on free throws.

The Davidsonville, Md. product added 3.8 rebounds, 3.1 assists and two steals in 31.5 minutes per game for the Scarlet Knights. His steal percentage was 44th in the country."

Bunch of recent moves...

Caleb Love, rejected by Michigan admissions, transfers to Arizona. Makes sense.

Grant Nelson of North Dakota State (and one of the top players in the Summit League) withdrew from the draft and is now in the transfer portal, entertaining offers from top programs.

Tyler Burton (of Richmond) withdrew from the draft and is talking to prominent programs, almost certain to transfer.

Mark Sears withdrew from the NBA draft and will return to Alabama.

Jaedon Ledee and Lamont Butler both withdrew from the draft and are returning to San Diego State.

PJ Hall withdrew from draft and is returning to Clemson.

Ryan Kalkbrenner withdrew from the draft and is returning to Creighton.

Blake Hinson (2nd team All-ACC) withdrew from the draft and is returning to Pitt.

Lastly, Cam Spencer has narrowed his prospects to Miami, Oklahoma, UCLA and UConn.

Reactions: GatoLouco
Bunch of recent moves...

Caleb Love, rejected by Michigan admissions, transfers to Arizona. Makes sense.

Grant Nelson of North Dakota State (and one of the top players in the Summit League) withdrew from the draft and is now in the transfer portal, entertaining offers from top programs.

Tyler Burton (of Richmond) withdrew from the draft and is talking to prominent programs, almost certain to transfer.

Mark Sears withdrew from the NBA draft and will return to Alabama.

Jaedon Ledee and Lamont Butler both withdrew from the draft and are returning to San Diego State.

PJ Hall withdrew from draft and is returning to Clemson.

Ryan Kalkbrenner withdrew from the draft and is returning to Creighton.

Blake Hinson (2nd team All-ACC) withdrew from the draft and is returning to Pitt.

Lastly, Cam Spencer has narrowed his prospects to Miami, Oklahoma, UCLA and UConn.
Does anyone know how or why Pat Spencer picked NU?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT