ADVERTISEMENT

When do we get excited?

Fans were really behind this team last night and stayed engaged despite the horrific start. They are scrappy and give it their all, as exemplified by Nicholson's dive to the floor with the team hopelessly behind. I have no expectations but if they keep competing like this, I will continue to enjoy the season for what it is, a nightly adventure. Look around if you want to see disaster. Cal is 1-13 this year. Once Mighty Georgetown hasn't won a Big East game in two years.

One change I think they should consider is starting Roper for Berry. Last couple of games they have tried to get Berry some early shots and they are not falling.

Starting Roper, they are physically bigger. Maybe he and Chase can get some steals and get some easy baskets. Then bring in Berry with less pressure

My assessment of this team is they need a third scoring option this team plays excellent defense , but what is always going to haunt me is what this team could’ve been if Nance had not transferred particularly this year with the way the defense has been playing. I know everybody had their gripes saying that Nance was soft but if you put Nance on this team right now, this is a legit team and borderline NCAA tournament quality worthy team, and Buie has not looked himself at all this year, but also, this is what happens when you don’t have a third option. It makes it easier for teams to just lock on your two most proven scorers.

My assessment of this team is they need a third scoring option this team plays excellent defense , but what is always going to haunt me is what this team could’ve been if Nance had not transferred particularly this year with the way the defense has been playing. I know everybody had their gripes saying that Nance was soft but if you put Nance on this team right now, this is a legit team and borderline NCAA tournament quality worthy team, and Buie has not looked himself at all this year, but also, this is what happens when you don’t have a third option. It makes it easier for teams to just lock on your two most proven scorers.
Provided Nance plays at the 4 and not the 5… tho Beran has been excellent defensively.

Mike DeCourcey (sp?) before the game that he likes Beran because he can score in so many ways, and I wondering maybe he hasn’t seen Beran play since he put up a dozen points in 20 minutes against Illinois in his conference debut. (Memory is blurry but generally accurate-ish here.)

I think they miss the backup guard from last year the most. He could spell Boo and keep Chase in the wing. He was also a good defender.

Reactions: drewjin
Provided Nance plays at the 4 and not the 5… tho Beran has been excellent defensively.

Mike DeCourcey (sp?) before the game that he likes Beran because he can score in so many ways, and I wondering maybe he hasn’t seen Beran play since he put up a dozen points in 20 minutes against Illinois in his conference debut. (Memory is blurry but generally accurate-ish here.
Yes, starting five would be Buie, Audige, Nance Nicholson, berry/ roper.

C’mon, you guys don’t really believe it’s Coaches fault when wide open shots don’t drop? We have a starter that 0-7 from the floor and 0-4 from the line. The 0-7 were all within 8 feet. CCC and staff did the ONLY thing that is really possible with this roster and focused on a defense first approach. There was always going to be games like this. We are offensively challenged with only two guys that can potentially go off. Pretty easy for B1G athletes to defend.

Personally, I like this team a lot better than what we have been watching the last few years. Keeps fighting. Hope they mentally keep too it, because the front end of this B1G schedule is brutal. Illinois has a ton of talent and on paper we shouldn’t be close. I expect a much better performance against them.
Whose responsible for filing the roster and developing the players?

Asset coaches go and fi d the players. Usually on the shoe circuits.
Al the coaches figure out who they want to go after
They co tact the players coaches to check grades, character.
Contact the player and build relationship.
Get a copy of the transcripts, needed to make offer and set up official visit.
Few more steps the. Commit.

On campus get 4 hours with coaches per week in summer, have access anytime to team managers to work out.

Season practice and can work out in free time.

Coaches do have some responsibility for player development, but like any real job, you are only as good as the time you put in. If you are not eating right, putting work in the weight room and working to improve your shot, you will struggle whe. You come up against talented players

It's like the belachek/brady question. Who is responsible for the 6 titles. Did the coach help the player or did the player make the coach look good. Brady had an insane off season workout and was always prepared. Cam newton and Mac Jones, not so much

You can literally save that about every component of the program. To use this logic, the HC deserves ALL the credit for anything good and ALL the blame for anything that goes wrong.
Yes. And that’s why it used to be that the ones that excelled got paid and often stolen to better programs. Weird - coaches being measured by their success on the field…

Asset coaches go and fi d the players. Usually on the shoe circuits.
Al the coaches figure out who they want to go after
They co tact the players coaches to check grades, character.
Contact the player and build relationship.
Get a copy of the transcripts, needed to make offer and set up official visit.
Few more steps the. Commit.

On campus get 4 hours with coaches per week in summer, have access anytime to team managers to work out.

Season practice and can work out in free time.

Coaches do have some responsibility for player development, but like any real job, you are only as good as the time you put in. If you are not eating right, putting work in the weight room and working to improve your shot, you will struggle whe. You come up against talented players

It's like the belachek/brady question. Who is responsible for the 6 titles. Did the coach help the player or did the player make the coach look good. Brady had an insane off season workout and was always prepared. Cam newton and Mac Jones, not so much
I’m wondering if you are simply missing some keys on the keyboard or fingers…

They are scrappy and give it their all, as exemplified by Nicholson's dive to the floor with the team hopelessly behind.
There is a lot to like about Matt's game. He stays aggressive. I have a question for those who know basketball rules: Matt dove for the ball, gained possession, turned and slid on his back with the ball in his possession for at least five feet. Is this traveling or not? I believe Matt passed the ball while on the floor and we went down and scored.

Mike DeCourcey (sp?) before the game that he likes Beran because he can score in so many ways, and I wondering maybe he hasn’t seen Beran play since he put up a dozen points in 20 minutes against Illinois in his conference debut. (Memory is blurry but generally accurate-ish here.)
It feels like every commentator hypes Beran. It always feels weird to me. I have two theories for that:

-CC has hyped him for a long time. Going back to last season we heard over and over again how CC talked about him as the “X factor”. Commentators, for as much as they can be professional, do their homework, are not balls deep into a program. They rely heavily on the Kool Aid fed to them by yhe coach

-Beran is smooth. He’s a big guy with a nice stroke. He looks coordinated. Usually guys that tall look more clumsy. You look at him from time to time and you believe he will start giving you more offensively than he does. Unfortunately for us, he has nothing in his offensive arsenal other than a jump shot.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
C’mon, you guys don’t really believe it’s Coaches fault when wide open shots don’t drop? We have a starter that 0-7 from the floor and 0-4 from the line. The 0-7 were all within 8 feet. CCC and staff did the ONLY thing that is really possible with this roster and focused on a defense first approach. There was always going to be games like this. We are offensively challenged with only two guys that can potentially go off. Pretty easy for B1G athletes to defend.
This is one of the more spot-on comments about last night. There were PLENTY of open shots early in the game to keep it within reason. And that rim on the west end simply had a lid on it.

However, if you need the indictment against Collins that so many desperately need, it's pretty obvious off the ball when you look at these two teams. Holtmann's team is sharp, hustling with strong, quick cuts. There is an obvious, different level of intensity.

It feels like every commentator hypes Beran.
I'm somewhat done with Beran. He's an absolute deer-in-the-headlights when the games get big. It's so obvious that it's so much is in his head. Against a mid-major, he has no problem throwing up that slow release from three.

And then OSU comes to town. Poof!!

I'm not as big a Barnhizer guy as some out here. But I can see why Collns would go with that 2nd half starting lineup from here on out. If Beran can't bring some toughness to EVERY game at least on defense, let him earn his way back. At least Barnhizer can mix it up on defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: NUCat320 and Styre
This is one of the more spot-on comments about last night. There were PLENTY of open shots early in the game to keep it within reason. And that rim on the west end simply had a lid on it.

However, if you need the indictment against Collins that so many desperately need, it's pretty obvious off the ball when you look at these two teams. Holtmann's team is sharp, hustling with strong, quick cuts. There is an obvious, different level of intensity.
No, the difference is mostly the ATHLETES that Holtman has on the floor, but they are well coached. Tell me, who on the Cats would start at OSU (maybe Chase)

There is a lot to like about Matt's game. He stays aggressive. I have a question for those who know basketball rules: Matt dove for the ball, gained possession, turned and slid on his back with the ball in his possession for at least five feet. Is this traveling or not? I believe Matt passed the ball while on the floor and we went down and scored.

This was a legal play by Nicholson. In that situation, you are allowed to slide as far as your momentum carries you. Once you come to a stop, you can pass or shoot from that spot on the floor, but you cannot roll over or stand up unless you start to dribble simultaneously.

No, the difference is mostly the ATHLETES that Holtman has on the floor, but they are well coached. Tell me, who on the Cats would start at OSU (maybe Chase)
I don't disagree, CR. But they really are considerably sharper and faster in their movement off the ball. They don't waltz through screens and the space between the screen and cutter is tight.

I'm somewhat done with Beran. He's an absolute deer-in-the-headlights when the games get big. It's so obvious that it's so much is in his head. Against a mid-major, he has no problem throwing up that slow release from three.

And then OSU comes to town. Poof!!

I'm not as big a Barnhizer guy as some out here. But I can see why Collns would go with that 2nd half starting lineup from here on out. If Beran can't bring some toughness to every game at least on defense, let him earn his way back. At least Barnhizer can mix it up on defense.
I think we will get back to the regular program and you won’t see BB starting on either half. But I understand last night’s option, BB is the guy who will get physical and chippy just to get the other players’ juices flowing. He’s the closest we have to the a-hole on the floor that is often needed. Wish he had a 3 pt shot and he could stay out there, just based on that, a lot more.

Watching Barnhizer shoot threes in practice, he seems to have pretty good form, but I don't think he has confidence in it during games. I agree, he would be a real asset with that in his arsenal. He's only a sophomore so maybe it will happen yet.

Agree with everything Styre said above.

A little to add: Not traveling. If you possess the ball BEFORE you start to go down to the floor - that's illegal = traveling. If you dive to the floor in order to get the ball, and then your body slides on the floor - legal. If your body moves side to side on the floor as you're sliding and attempting to pass - that's a judgment call.

Last edited:
Nice link - will have to keep referring to that throughout the season.

For not motivated enough to click on the link: as of Dec 26, we are projected as making the tournament by 12 out of the 35 brackets tracked by the site, and our average projected seed in those 12 brackets is 10.58.
Post OSU, Jan 4th update, we are in 6 brackets with an average seed of 10.67.

Personally, I like this team a lot better than what we have been watching the last few years. Keeps fighting. Hope they mentally keep too it, because the front end of this B1G schedule is brutal. Illinois has a ton of talent and on paper we shouldn’t be close. I expect a much better performance against them.
Hey Bob, enough shots went in. Players or Coaches?

When Ty Berry gets in double figures, The Cats have a chance to win. Need that third scorer and Beran just isn't it. Berry's two threes that put NU ahead to stay were the two biggest shots of the game (although Audige hit plenty of big shots in the first half) Audige vs. Shannon was a huge matchup in this game and Chase won it big over a guy projected to be all Big Ten.

Yes, the weather sure has gotten more fair. :p
As folks told the other corbi on another thread, fair weather fans pay no mind to a team except when they do well. Hard suffering fans that care express their objections to their teams management choices by not going to games or buying their merch when they feel team sucks as a result of those choices. But I don’t want to let facts or reality interfere with PPDs derivative.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
28 is half the respondents. We are now in second place among the at-large teams. One respondent ranks us as high as a 7 seed!

Most of the empty ones were last updated 1/8 or earlier. I count only 3 out of 20 of those brackets picking NU, and I'd imagine when they're updated, NU will be on a lot of them. I know it's silly and premature to be looking at that data in such ways, but then again I'm silly and immature.

• Haha
Most of the empty ones were last updated 1/8 or earlier. I count only 3 out of 20 of those brackets picking NU, and I'd imagine when they're updated, NU will be on a lot of them. I know it's silly and premature to be looking at that data in such ways, but then again I'm silly and immature.
In other words, you're a fan. Carry on, Smelly!

He's our only power forward. He has to play. He may not be that great, but we need him.
Let's put it this way.... for NU to compete going forward and stand a chance to make the tournament, he needs to be 'good' Robbie Beran. I think his play at IU was fantastic and if he can keep that up, things could continue to be interesting.

NU needs to go 3-1 the rest of the month to hit my 5-4 excitement threshold…

NU’s likelihood, per ESPN ‘matchup’ indicator:

at Iowa: 26%
v. Wisconsin: 68%
at Nebraska: 59% (!)
v. Minnesota: 90%

These Cats are kind of good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT