ADVERTISEMENT

When do we get excited?

Evan Miya does something similar with individual players. He therefore can estimate the quality of the team once a valuable player, such as Mawot Mag of Rutgers, is lost for the season.
That's cool. Looking at the player ratings in the B1G, the Cats' best player is Audige at #39. This would suggest that despite not having great individual players, the team overall somehow it getting it done. Intuitively that feels right. The rating of Buie at #55, directly below Robbie Beran, seems too low.

Last edited:
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
That's cool. Looking at the player ratings in the B1G, the Cats' best player is Audige at #39. This would suggest imply that despite not having great individual players, the team overall somehow it getting it done. Intuitively that feels right. The rating of Buie at #55, directly below Robbie Beran, seems too low.
Miya's website is frustrating in that it doesn't allow the user to filter.
Buie was quite poor (for Buie) in our non-conference. Audige was good (for Audige).
If you limited the dataset to conference games only, I'm sure his ratings would align more reasonably.
Since I've looked at it throughout the season, I can tell you that Audige used to be around a 4 and Ty Berry at one point surpassed him. Nicholson, Barnhizer and Buie have slowly been moving up. I think they were all below 1 in December.

I give him credit for trying to rank players, but there's work to be done.

I know yesterday was a bit lackluster (but still a win!), but NU now has the second-best overall record in the Big Ten, one conference win already in its pocket, and winnable games coming up.

Meanwhile, some of the bracketologists are already putting NU in the tourney or in the "first four out," etc. sections. They seem like, based on what we've seen so far, around 50-50 chances of getting in. Obviously a lot of basketball - including most of NU's toughest games - to be played, but with the 2022 portion of the schedule done with, I'm starting to get excited.

If you prefer not to be excited yet, that's fine by me. I know all the reasons not to get my hopes up yet - I am an NU fan, after all - but...it's getting interesting.

Meanwhile, here's the Bracket Matrix, which keeps track of a lot of bracketologists. Some have NU as high as a nine seed!
Now, now is the time to get excited!

This has been a fun and interesting thread, but the one thing it really shows is that terms like “unbiased” and “objective” are kind of silly in this context. Every rating, computer or otherwise, is based on what the evaluator decides is important. There is no perfect system.

NU is the third #7 In BracketMatrix today.

Duke and MSU are ahead of NU on the 7 line. Iowa State, Kentucky, Creighton, TAMU are in the 6 lines.

A six would be ideal, a 7 would be very good.

Reactions: GatoLouco
NU is the third #7 In BracketMatrix today.

Duke and MSU are ahead of NU on the 7 line. Iowa State, Kentucky, Creighton, TAMU are in the 6 lines.

A six would be ideal, a 7 would be very good.
Still haven't updated since last night. I wouldn't expect NU to get a HUGE bump, but change enough 8's to 7's and 7's to 6's and maybe NU gets up to 6.

And just looking at the Bracketmatrix generally, there are a few bracketologists that just rank all the teams based on a formula and such, and NU doesn't fair as well on computer rankings. Could be they're dispassionately underrating NU compared to what the committee might like.

FWIW, Jerry Palm has us as a 6 as of this morning. Lunardi's a seven but was last updated right before our game ended and probably didn't take it into account.

Of course none of it truly matters yet until Sunday, but I can't wait that long!

Of course none of it truly matters yet until Sunday, but I can't wait that long!
None of us can around here buddy. You saw that crazy ass thread on the scenarios. Even involved speculation of updates while on a plane to Sweden. Personally I would be tempted to research the Swedish art of downsizing for death.

It was like watching Carrie Matteson in Homeland when borderline suffering from being bipolar. And I loved it.

4afa4c5e6fa666bbccd8ae9d27050820.jpg

I have actually just arrived at my hotel in Sweden after being up for about 30 hours straight, so the update thread fit my mood well.

Reactions: SmellyCat
Like the effort, don’t like the overall talent level. I expect us to crash, but hope I am way off.
If it was about talent, OSU would be way ahead of us. They have a three 4 star freshmen plus experienced players from the portal and they won 13 games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT