ADVERTISEMENT

A Moment of Joy

Before our blood gets all lathered up again for the second half of this game, let me just express my excitement that I’d guess many of you share at the first half start. Will we be great all year? Maybe maybe not. Will we even win this game? Maybe maybe not. Will we go to a bowl? Still unsure.

But we at least have a competitive squad again, and that means we can be excited to watch the Cats the next 12 weeks rather than dreading our weekly humiliation. This fun part of our life is given back to us! Let’s have a great year.

Play that made me kick the dog

There has been a lot of (understandable) kvetching about the failed 4th down wildcat calls and about over using that formation without a wrinkle as the game went on, but the play that set me over the edge was the OSU punt with a little over 8 minutes to go and the score at 14-7. I understand the terrible conditions, but it was a low line drive, and the coverage was both ragged and no where near Navarro. If he fields it, Cats start probably no worse than the 30, and it is the sort of play on a slick field he might rally break a long one. As it was, it was downed for a 45 yard punt at the 11. The Cats simply need better special team coaching. That play was huge in the outcome of the game, as Fitz did not open it up due to field position and went 3 and out, give OSU the opening to seal the game.

I really fell bad for the players. They left it all on the field today.

• Poll
Ohio State vs. Northwestern: What Simulation Will be More Accurate?

What simulated score will be more accurate?

• Ohio State 62, Northwestern 17

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Ohio State 27, Northwestern 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ohio State 41, Northwestern 10

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Ohio State 49, Northwestern 6

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • Ohio State will win, but by much smaller margin than these

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All wrong, because the Wildcats will reign!

Votes: 1 4.3%

I happened to come across some posted videos simulating the Ohio State game, along a simulation generator. There is significant variation in how these simulations think the game is going to go. A video simulation from August has the game going 62-17 Buckeyes with the game being close (31-17) in the middle of the 3rd Quarter then the Buckeyes pulling away after stopping the Wildcats on a 4th-and-goal at the 2-yard line:
Login to view embedded media
A video simulation posted earlier today still has the Buckeyes winning but in more of defensive struggle (relatively speaking) 27-3:
A video simulation posted yesterday has the Buckeyes winning 41-10:
A game simulation generator run right now has it Buckeyes 49-6:

There are some other simulations out there, but unfortunately, nothing I seen predicts a Wildcat victory.

Thinking of selling my tickets...

I have a couple of friends who are (nice) Ohio State fans...they just texted me asking about getting tickets to the game next week.

I replied, "I might be ready to sell you mine."

There have been times in my life where I'd rather burn my own house down with my season tickets in them to ensure they didn't go to an Ohio State fan...but at this point am I wrong for dreading a trip to the game next week? Ohio State fans everywhere for what promises to be the single worst beating in the last X decades? And let's agree...there have been some really bad ones.

There's that part of me that says "you need to support the players." But at this point I don't know what else we as fans can do to give Fitz a wake up call other than to turn our backs on him.

The floor is open for responses/reactions. Either affirm my disillusionment or talk me out of it because I'm at my life's low with this team that is making Brian Ferentz a candidate for the Broyles Award.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT