ADVERTISEMENT

NU Hoops (the last 10 years)

I tracked down efficiency stats for NU basketball as far back as this source goes... (https://evanmiya.com)
Only D1 games are included. There are about 355 D1 teams. There are about 75 teams in the Power 6 conferences.

What is immediately obvious is that...

a) under Chris Collins, we have never been a good offensive team.
b) Our best national rank (offensively) in 9 years is 74th. Thats bad.
c) under Collins we have been better on defense than offense 7 out of 9 seasons.
d) the NCAA tournament team was anchored by a strong defense, ranked 19th overall.
e) the injury-riddled team that led to Carmody's dismissal was better offensively than 6 of Collins' 9 teams, but worse on defense than 8 of 9.

SeasonCoachOff PerfOff RankDef PerfDef RankOverall PerfWinsLosses
2012-13Carmody7.71061.61529.31319
2013-14Collins-5.42379.6764.21419
2014-15Collins-2.220812.0549.91517
2015-16Collins11.4749.77621.12012
2016-17Collins9.68120.01929.62412
2017-18Collins10.0796.510416.51217
2018-19Collins1.017014.33815.31318
2019-20Collins-1.11921.21550.1724
2020-21Collins3.61265.6989.2815
2021-22Collins4.91227.29112.11416
Reactions: benoitdenizetl

(Semi) OT - the Phillies

The Phillies made it all the way to the WS, but couldn't close the deal against the cheaters.

But still, quite an accomplishment after starting the season so poorly under Joe.

I like Joe, but one can't help but wonder if his coaching style is no longer suited for today's game.

One can't also help but wonder if the same thing applies to Fitz, another old-school Chicago guy.

One sports radio host had a daughter who had worked w/ Joe when he was working for MLB, who had nothing but the nicest things to say about Joe as a person, but that doesn't get you results in the field.

Sometimes a coach's way of doing things is outdated, is at a place too long (things get stale) and is too stubborn to change or admit that he had made a mistake.

Another example is Tomlin in Pittsburgh.

Matt Canada was simply the wrong hire for OC (in a string of bad hires).

Instead of rectifying that mistake early, Tomlin doubled down on his mistake by allowing Canada to bring in his own guys after numerous assistants departed (not a good sign when assistants don't see it in their best interest to work w/ an OC).

If you want to see the NFL equivalent of the NU O (staid, unimaginative, predictable - and w/ a bad O-line to boot) - watch Steelers football.
Reactions: Figrating

Scheduling philosophies

Happened to be looking through Big Ten schedules and was taken aback by Michigan State's absolutely insane start to the season this year, against ours.

MSU starts with one game against patsy Northern Arizona, but follows that up over the next 4 weeks with Gonzaga on an aircraft carrier, Kentucky in Indy, Villanova at home, Alabama, Uconn/Oregon and one of UNC/Portland/Iowa St/Villanova at their tourney in Portland, at Notre Dame in B1G/ACC challenge. Average Kenpom rating - 48-54 depending on opponents.

In that same 4 week span, we will have faced Chicago State, Northern Illinois, at Georgetown, Fort Wayne, Liberty and Auburn/Bradley in Mexico, and Pitt. Average Kenpom rating - 154-170 depending on tourney opponent.

After that 7 game death march for MSU, they face...us. So either they will be demoralized from taking a bunch of high-profile L's, or they will just wipe the floor with us after that stretch.

Which team is likely to be more prepared for the first conference game?
Reactions: CatJones

I cannot complain about how long the QB change took

If you look at Hilinski's first 2 games, he lit up the stat sheet and looked good. The next two, he was erratic but still showed flashes. PSU was horrible, but in bad weather. The wheels came off v Wisconsin and he came out and stayed out (possibly due to injury).

Anyway, to me, it wasn't crystal clear to take him out until they did.

What I hope next season looks like

New OC/DC. Obviously the DC part is a no brainer. Mike Bajakian while he isn’t nearly as bad by comparison, is frustrating in his own right. Between the ultra conservative play calling and untimely stupid trick plays his time at NU should come to an end too. Brendan Sullivan is QB1 from week 1 and with his athleticism, improvisation and with some starts under his belt he should play adequate. We should lean heavily into the run game with Porter and Hull hopefully both returning and again with an athletic Sullivan. I think the offensive scheme can be largely the same due to our personnel and their strengths but still would like to see Bajakian go. Most of all I want this team to have an identity and be competent again. I think that definitely possible with some much needed change in the coaching staff.

oh and maybe fire some position coaches as well.
Reactions: EvanstonCat

NU football on TV in the latter stages of the Dark Ages

Thanks to @GoUPurple for this history lesson on Twitter about Northwestern football on TV:

The last time NU was on a network before 1992 was way back on Oct. 1, 1988 when ABC regional broadcast (of all things) Indiana at NU.

Between 10/1/1988 and 1992, NU football was shown only a handful of times on cable. The old SportsChannel showed a few games, and NU made it to ESPN only twice during this stretch (Rutgers @ NU, 1989; NIU @ NU, 1990). No Big Ten games?!

From 1988 to 1992 there were two NU games (1988 Wisconsin; 1989 Air Force) that had no coverage whatsoever! No TV, no TV tape delay, no radio of any kind.
• • •

Officially the worst team in the Big Ten.

Cats are 0-5 at home and 0-3 on the road and sitting in DFL (dead last) in the Big Ten. Haven't won a game in the United States in over a year! A blind bat can see the team is poorly coached and not making the most of the talent they have.

If there aren't wholesale changes in the staff and throughout the entire program after the season this program is headed headed down for years and years to come. Other than the academics, why would a top recruit want to enter this program and win a game or two a year. There are plenty of schools that offer good academics and also field competitive teams, and frankly most are a lot more fun than Northwestern. Another year like this and NU may be looking for a new conference and not by their choice. #ivyleague

Stats are for losers, but Cats ran the ball well v. OSU

Cats 200+ yards rushing were most OSU had allowed this year, and YPC was 3rd best on a field where defense knew NU would run almost every play. A couple of thoughts:
1) The wet conditions put defense a little on roller skates and slowed down pursuit
2) Hull’s running style took advantage of slow pursuit. His dancing is a killer on wet turf.
3) Sullivan has real potential to be a good RPO QB
4) Porter is a real talent. Full bounce back has taken a while, but he is a horse.
5) Banged up O Line is better on runs than pass protection, and defenses are overmatched by Skoronski.

HOOPS RECRUITING NU among finalists as 2023 G Cameron Carr's decision nears

Here's the latest from Rivals' Travis Graff:

Carr told Rivals that he plans on making a decision “either Monday or Tuesday”. After talking to some sources, Northwestern and Tennessee are sticking out late here, with Northwestern having recent momentum. His family is very familiar with the Wildcats’ coaching staff.

Awful Conditions Wind at Your Back No Help

I am reading posts from the armchair coaches and you are all full of it. I have been to games for 26 years. This was the worst game conditions I have seen. During the game, they warned that the stadium may be cleared because of weather. The wind picked up as the game went on. Stroud throws a beautiful ball. With the wind, his ball was going all over the place. It was not only directional, but the wind swirled all over the place. A passing game was out. Both teams kept their defense close to the line of scrimmage. I could dispute some of the calls, but unless you were at the game, any of your opinions are full of crap.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT