ADVERTISEMENT

I rewatched the first quarter and thought to myself

I wish I got paid $5M a year to be as bad at my job as Fitz is at his right now.

Also note it’s guaranteed for 10 more years - much like CCC - thanks to our former AD Phillips. So his buyout is likely a nonstarter for the Bears.

Folks. We’re stuck with JON’s shitty defense for at least a few seasons. And also with the wrong decision on who should start at QB. So deal with it.

I’m sorry, but that is the start of the CatMan TRUTH.

The Polisky fiasco highlights how NU athletics have changed

The hiring of Mike Polisky generated a backlash on campus and off, and his subsequent resignation has garnered a fair amount of media coverage and hand wringing.

Step back in time to 1975. The dirt track still circled the floor in McGaw hall where the last place MBB toiled under Tex Winter. The women’s team had no history of futility: it was just being formed. After reaching the #1 ranking in the early ‘60’s, the football team had experienced a steady decline to the cellar. The team’s training facilities did not match those of many high schools, and we all pissed on the wall in the restrooms of Dyche Stadium. Against that backdrop, Robert Strotz named failing football coach John Pont athletic director. The university community collectively shrugged, as athletics at NU generated very little passion.

Fast forward to 2021: The Fitz Carlton is among the best facilities in the country. The women’s BBall team plays for championships in the renovated basketball arena. Pat Fitzgerald leads his team to consistent winning seasons. In addition to BBall, women’s Softball, Lacrosse and Field Hockey teams are championship caliber. The men’s BBall team in recent history broke the NCAA drought. The university has invested in athletics, and the university community has become invested in how the Athletic Department is run. In contrast to 1975, people care about NU athletics. I am sorry the process of hiring a new director has been a fiasco, but happy that the university community cares. It is not 1975 any more.

Talked to new 2020 QB Carl Richardson: What a story!

If this kid is as cool in the pocket as he was in the recruiting process, he's going to be a star.

Carl camped at NU in the summer of 2018 and hasn't been back since. He's been sending film to NU recruiter Todd McShane and was in touch from time to time, but he knew NU had their QB, so that was it. Then, on Wednesday, he reached out to NU to say he was available. NU contacted his head coach, his QB coach and his parents to do their due diligence, and Coach Bajakian and Coach Fitz talked to him several times over the last couple days. Fitz FaceTime'd him today to offer him and Carl committed on the spot.

This kid decided he wasn't going to deal with recruiting during his senior year to focus on his team at Salinas. As a result, he lost some of his opportunities. His plan all along was to enroll early in college. He just had no idea where he was going until today! Can you believe that? Now he's starting classes at NU on Jan. 4.

He's a very friendly, easy-going but confident kid. Seems like a quarterback personality, with a little bit of a California, laid-back twist. He was laughing a lot as he told me the story. I've talked to a lot of excited kids over the years, but this kid is jacked to be a Wildcat. I can't believe how well things worked out for him -- and neither can he.

It was beyond my imagination...

that we could lose to Minnesota this year. But then, I never thought it possible that we could lose to Southern Illinois, or whatever that team of girl scouts was that we played in September. These games totally embarrass me - ruin my month, and make me take down the diploma from the office wall. Why do I buy season tickets and donate money for this garbage?

Jerry Brown

Coach Brown is building quite a pipeline to the pros with McManis and Campbell making it in recent years. Neither was seen as having a high potential for pro ball when he entered NU. Now I see that scouts are already looking at Van Hoose. Jerry did well in years past, but ran into problems when Coach walker seemed unwilling or unable to recruit DBs - Brown worked mostly with failed RB recruits for years. With the guys we have in the pipeline and solid coaching at the position, DB could be a strength for years. Coach McCall, long known as a great QB coach, sure did well with Trevor as well.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT