ADVERTISEMENT

Sanborn vs. Fisher

I watched former Badger Jack Sanborn have a pretty solid game for the Bears yesterday. With nothing more to say about the current Cats situation, I thought we might discuss how Paddy Fisher might have done in a similar situation. As Big Ten players, I thought they were somewhat similar. Both were heady guys with better athleticism than you would think, but not prototypical NFL linebacker speed. Sanborn went undrafted as did Fisher. What do some of you film experts think? If Fisher were given a low-pressure starting MLB job on a non-competitive NFL defense like the Bears, could he have been as good as Sanborn?

This team is epic bad

The Big 10 West isn’t even very good this year and yet NU is still far and away the absolute dregs of the conference.

Fitz and his coaching staff should be embarrassed. Painful to even watch for two quarters now.

Dumpster fire of epic proportions…

I’ll be shocked if there isn’t a mass exodus of players (at least anyone who isn‘t at NU mainly for the degree)

Pat Spencer

Is on the Golden State Warriors pre season roster with chance to make the team and has a big fan in Steve Kerr, per NBC article,

"Of all the new names showing up on a daily basis at Chase Center, Spencer easily is the biggest wild card -- for a number of reasons. After a dominant four-year lacrosse career at Loyola and winning what amounts to college lacrosse's Heisman Trophy as a junior, Spencer used his college graduate eligibility year to play basketball at Northwestern. In his lone season of college basketball, Spencer averaged 10.4 points, 4.1 rebounds and 3.9 assists.

Golden State holds the 26-year-old's G League rights, and Kerr loves what he has seen from him.

"Big fan of Pat's," Kerr said. "Great competitor, great athleticism in terms of his balance and his coordination and his core strength. He jumps with more explosiveness than I realized. He had the play in Tokyo where he tried to dunk on the whole team and got fouled.

"I love that he's a lacrosse guy. I think sports like soccer and hockey and lacrosse kind of establish vision that you need in basketball where you have to see the field in front of you or the court in front of you and see everything positioning-wise. I think all of those things are helpful for Pat.

"He needs to play. He just doesn't have a ton of basketball experience. He's a really intriguing prospect."

Observations and thoughts on todays game

#37 is not a starting big 10 middle line backer-can’t tackle
#50 is not a big ten DL-was getting manhandled on the line
#9 is not a D1 scholarship
Worthy QB
#84 had no last name on his jersey
Pj fleck is a D-bag
Wendell Davis, henrink barndt still didn’t see the field as upperclassman and transfers.
This list goes on and on and on. Last but not least we have no QB for the next two games.

Injuries

It seems like we have an abnormally high # of players that get injured during a game or are out with long term injuries. Offense-
Hilinski, prebe, Rowley, olsen, d’antonio
Defense-
Pate, Johnson, Davis, Hollis, Gallagher, Holmes, Alena, Joseph. Is this normal, bad luck, or am I missing something?

Big Ten TV Schedule: Week Two (11/14-11/20)

All times CENTRAL. All games nationally televised unless otherwise indicated. I will add announcers and future tournament opponents as they are assigned.

First, the NU games:

Northwestern @ Georgetown (Gavitt Games)
Tuesday, November 15
5:30 PM, FS1
PxP: Brandon Gaudin
Color: Dickey Simpkins

Purdue Fort Wayne @ Northwestern
Friday, November 18
7:00 PM, UNTELEVISED (BTN+)

And the rest:

Monday, November 14

DePaul @ Minnesota (Gavitt Games)
6:00 PM, BTN
PxP: Jeff Levering
Color: Shon Morris

Butler @ Penn State (Gavitt Games)
7:30 PM, FS1
PxP: Aaron Goldsmith
Color: Casey Jacobsen

Monmouth @ Illinois
8:00 PM, BTN
PxP: Kevin Kugler
Color: Stephen Bardo

Tuesday, November 15

Michigan State vs. Kentucky @ Indianapolis, IN (Champions Classic)
6:00 PM, ESPN
PxP: Dan Shulman
Color: Dick Vitale

Binghamton @ Maryland
PxP: Chris Fisher
Color: Len Elmore

Marquette @ Purdue (Gavitt Games)
7:30 PM, FS1
PxP: Jason Benetti
Color: Bill Raftery

Green Bay @ Wisconsin
PxP: Jeff Levering
Color: Brian Butch

Wednesday, November 16

Michigan vs. Pittsburgh @ Brooklyn, NY (Legends Classic)
5:00 PM, ESPNU
PxP: Kevin Brown
Color: Jon Crispin

Eastern Illinois @ Ohio State
PxP: Connor Onion
Color: Jess Settles

Iowa @ Seton Hall (Gavitt Games)
6:30 PM, FS1
PxP: Tim Brando
Color: Donny Marshall

Thursday, November 17

Penn State vs. Furman @ Charleston, SC (Charleston Classic)
10:30 AM, ESPNU
PxP: Derek Jones
Color: Perry Clark

Nebraska @ St. John’s (Gavitt Games)
5:30 PM, FS1
PxP: Tim Brando
Color: Donny Marshall

Michigan vs. Arizona State @ Brooklyn, NY (Legends Classic)
8:00 PM, ESPN2
PxP: Kevin Brown
Color: Jon Crispin

Central Michigan @ Minnesota
PxP: Jason Ross Jr.
Color: Andy Katz

Friday, November 18

Penn State vs. Virginia Tech @ Charleston, SC (Charleston Classic)
11:00 AM, ESPN2
PxP: Derek Jones
Color: Perry Clark

Rutgers vs. Temple @ Uncasville, CT (Basketball Hall of Fame Showcase)
4:00 PM, ESPNU
PxP: Doug Sherman
Color: Sean Farnham

Indiana @ Xavier (Gavitt Games)
5:00 PM, FS1
PxP: Kevin Kugler
Color: Jim Jackson

Villanova @ Michigan State (Gavitt Games)
7:00 PM, FS1
PxP: Aaron Goldsmith
Color: Bill Raftery

Illinois vs. UCLA @ Las Vegas, NV (Continental Tire Main Event)
8:30 PM, ESPNU
PxP: John Schriffen
Color: Fran Fraschilla

Saturday, November 19

Maryland vs. St. Louis @ Uncasville, CT (Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off)
12:00 PM, ESPNEWS

Sunday, November 20

Maryland vs. Miami (FL) @ Uncasville, CT (Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off)
12:00 PM, ESPN

Illinois vs. Virginia @ Las Vegas, NV (Continental Tire Main Event)
2:00 PM, ESPN
PxP: John Schriffen
Color: Fran Fraschilla

Arkansas-Pine Bluff @ Nebraska
2:30 PM, BTN
PxP: Cory Provus
Color: Nick Bahe

Indiana vs. Miami (OH) @ Indianapolis, IN (Hoosier Classic)
4:30 PM, BTN
PxP: Matt Schumacker
Color: Stephen Bardo

Penn State vs. Colorado State @ Charleston, SC (Charleston Classic)
5:00 PM, ESPNU
PxP: Jay Alter
Color: Debbie Antonelli

Ohio @ Michigan
6:30 PM, BTN
PxP: Connor Onion
Color: Rapheal Davis
Reactions: drewjin

QB coaching

There are many things to be disappointed in this season, but QB coaching/development/talent evaluation has to be near the top. Hilsinki does not appear to be the answer, he still seems to throw off of his back foot. Sullivan the jury is out, but the offense has not done much with him at the helm. Richardson's throwing motion looks very unnatural and I cannot believe that they have not been able to coach him to improve that. The team will not improve until we can identify, recruit, and coach a QB. Look at the QBs under Walker and look at QBs under FItz there is no comparison.I do not know if it is the offensive philosophy under Fitz that has prevented us from being successful in recruiting or just poor talent evaluation. We need a drastic change similar to what Walker did with the offense. Walker seemed as old school as it gets, but if he can adapt, there is no reason Fitz should not be able to adapt. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. Fitz needs to look himself in the mirror and admit what he is doing is not working.
  • Love
Reactions: drewjin and NUCats

Little help here

So there had to be between 5 and 10 instances where our defensive player , usually a line backer got in the hole hit the runner slid to his ankles to try and make the stop and....the runner just kept on running!...was this proper technique or was this a matter of us just not being strong enough?
The second was I kept seeing defensive lineman coming into the picture then exiting the picture like they were on roller skates with the UM offensive lineman just shoving him laterally...seemed like we just offered no resistance...was this a strength issue as well???
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT