ADVERTISEMENT

“struggled mightily”

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
It’s only used in sports context, and it sounds effing stupid. I hate it.

Here’s an example of our defense struggling mildly with the game on the line.

Looking at that run again, I’m struggling mightily.
I've struggled mightily to watch them this whole season.

For those of you that like grammar, there is this Podcaster called Grammar Girl. In addition to being adorable, she gives good advice and opinion on challenging grammar issues

Reactions: NUCat320
There’s no other context, except sports reporting, where the phrase “struggl mightily” is used.

“Biden struggled mightily when asked about oil prices.”
“After a stone cold classic debut and a worthy, expansive follow-up, The Strokes struggled mightily to maintain their momentum on their third record.”
“The word’s on the tip of my tongue — I’m struggling mightily to find it.”
“My kid is doing great in most subjects, but he’s struggling mightily in math.”

Just ‘struggling’ does the trick.

It’s a stupid, stupid phrase.

That’s all.
Get off my lawn, though it’s been dumb since the ESPN dorks started doing it two decades ago.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I've struggled mightily to watch them this whole season.

For those of you that like grammar, there is this Podcaster called Grammar Girl. In addition to being adorable, she gives good advice and opinion on challenging grammar issues
Is this like a fetish thing for people who get their rocks off having a cute woman lecture them about technicalities?

Abandon mightily, all ye who enter here…
I found our team’s ride back from Maryland:

struggle-bus.gif

Doc,

i believe it is from Dante’s, Inferno. And given the state if NU football recently is an apt description of where we’ve been on autumn Saturdays the last two years.
Fitz as Ozymandias ?

Fitz as Ozymandias ?
Luckily not. Ozymandias was the Egyptian pharaoh, Ramesses II. The poem ends describing how all the culture that surrounded that pharaoh had disappeared. We still have a university, team, stadium, fan base, etc. But if the losses keep piling up and continue into ‘23, dies he become Custer at the Battle of the Little Big Horn?

Luckily not. Ozymandias was the Egyptian pharaoh, Ramesses II. The poem ends describing how all the culture that surrounded that pharaoh had disappeared. We still have a university, team, stadium, fan base, etc. But if the losses keep piling up and continue into ‘23, dies he become Custer at the Battle of the Little Big Horn?
And the new stadium will be named The Little Big Horn?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT