ADVERTISEMENT

There goes the perfect B1G bowl record

EvanstonCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Effing Schmuckeyes. Can’t say I was rooting for them, but what an embarrassment to the conference, losing to an SEC team.

Actually I’m glad they lost, but still B1G pride and all. Any reason to crap on them is one I’ll take.

Effing Schmuckeyes. Can’t say I was rooting for them, but what an embarrassment to the conference, losing to an SEC team.

Actually I’m glad they lost, but still B1G pride and all. Any reason to crap on them is one I’ll take.
Day is screwed. To think they were in the hunt for the natty a little over a month ago and coming out flat for the bowl. Day's detractors might be right, he has been just coasting off of what Urban built. He will end up like Cooper. Can't win the big ones. Complacency has taken over the program as a result of their own arrogance.

Obviously opt outs and such are factors, but just always shows how rough football is without a workable QB.

Doesn't matter what other weapons you have if everyone knows the QB can't do much of anything. There is no other position on the team that comes close in terms of importance.

Look at our past 5 years, Ramsey and Bryant delivered 2 great seasons and then maybe a handful of other games we've been able to put together a serviceable offense.

(See why Braun didn't keep Bajakian).

Last edited:
Obviously opt outs and such are factors, but just always shows how rough football is without a workable QB.

Doesn't matter what other weapons you have if everyone knows the QB can't do much of anything. There is no other position on the team that comes close in terms of importance.

Look at our past 5 years, Ramsey and Bryant delivered 2 great seasons and then maybe a handful of other games we've been able to put together a serviceable offense.

(See why Braun didn't keep Bajakian).
Their O-line looked like poopoo. Hard for any qb to do anything. But..this group of QBs is their least talented since 07. Teams in the top 5 can't afford to miss like that

Might be blood in the water gents. They have no heir to MHJ, and Day is a dope

McCord ducking out on the bowl to go to Syracuse was bizarre (Big NIL bucks?? or bad blood with Day???). I can understand guys going pro opting out, but to have your supposed "team leader" bail on you is either an indictment of McCord or Day or both. That game was a sham and so was the Irish beat down of Oregon State after their QB and others blew off the Beavers.

McCord ducking out on the bowl to go to Syracuse was bizarre (Big NIL bucks?? or bad blood with Day???). I can understand guys going pro opting out, but to have your supposed "team leader" bail on you is either an indictment of McCord or Day or both. That game was a sham and so was the Irish beat down of Oregon State after their QB and others blew off the Beavers.
ND had more guys out than Oregon State did. Including their QB. That’s what superior depth does.

I mostly think McCord didn’t enjoy being public enemy #1 for losing to Michigan.

His stats were pretty good, just not CJ Stroud good.

Reactions: zanycat
I saw a few reports that McCord didn't take kindly to being the fall guy for the Michigan loss. I imagine it's tough to simply be a "pretty good" quarterback at Ohio State...following the likes of Fields, Stroud, et al. Expectations are unrealistic, but I do enjoy watching that program bleed to death because of their fans inflict a million paper cuts.

I know the trending sentiment is that bowl games outside the CFP bubble matter less and less, which then leads players to opting out (or vice versa), but one thought I had was how these half-assed bowl starting lineups will ultimately taint the final college football rankings from one year to the next. Maybe those don't matter either, but it will be funny to see Ohio State fall out of the Top 10 in the history books when their offense was playing with one hand tied behind its back but the defense still held a Top 10 opponent to two touchdowns. Can't wait to watch the history books also "prove" how bad Florida State really is/was when they lose 88-7 after two dozen of their players opt out of the Orange Bowl.

Reactions: zanycat and rmndcat
Yep… for me, this is the most joyful watching Ped State get beat up.
Sure glad we didn't hire Tom Allen as DC. In the other direction, what has gotten into Maryland? Second and third string QBs are lighting up Auburn.

Reactions: rmndcat
Meanwhile, Maryland thumping Auburn. Good with that. Helps our SoS for the win against them.

Does this temper expectations about how good Mich will match up against Bama, since OSU and PSU were so awful against second tier SEC competition? Granter there’s the portal blah blah, but I’m sure that affected their opponents too (didn’t look it up).

Does this temper expectations about how good Mich will match up against Bama, since OSU and PSU were so awful against second tier SEC competition? Granter there’s the portal blah blah, but I’m sure that affected their opponents too (didn’t look it up).
Michigan has seen their offense dip since the ‘departure’ of Connor Stalions. I don’t think they have a shot against Alabama.

We knew Penn State was a tier below OSU and Michigan, simply based on their performances against those teams.

It’s good that the B1G is doing relatively well, though Monday’s Wisconsin and Iowa games won’t be pretty…

Reactions: zanycat
I mostly think McCord didn’t enjoy being public enemy #1 for losing to Michigan.

His stats were pretty good, just not CJ Stroud good.
Reportedly, he asked for assurances from Day that he would start next year, and Day wouldn't give that assurance

Michigan has seen their offense dip since the ‘departure’ of Connor Stalions. I don’t think they have a shot against Alabama.

We knew Penn State was a tier below OSU and Michigan, simply based on their performances against those teams.

It’s good that the B1G is doing relatively well, though Monday’s Wisconsin and Iowa games won’t be pretty…
Michigan offense dipped because JJ had an ankle injury. He is now recovered. Alabama was lucky to beat Auburn on the last play of the game, a fourth and thirty one. Maryland without Tua is beating Auburn. Do not know how Big Ten fans can like Alabama

Yep… for me, this is the most joyful watching Ped State get beat up.
Kiffen and Dart vs Franklin and Allar is not a fair fight. Franklin is a long term fraud. Kind of like the well paid RB that gains only what the blocking gives him. And Allar is pedestrian at best.

GOUNUII

I agree about Allar, although he could be helped by better wide receivers. Cats stopped him pretty well until PSU was handed some short fields. PSU defense had a bunch of opt outs but Ole Miss offense is impressive.

Sure glad we didn't hire Tom Allen as DC. In the other direction, what has gotten into Maryland? Second and third string QBs are lighting up Auburn.
Maybe that OC is someone we should look into? Or maybe just the type of system he has. I thought the Terps were going to lose once Tua opted out. They smoked Auburn!!!! A bright spot in the middle of B1G losses.

Reactions: rmndcat
Day is screwed. To think they were in the hunt for the natty a little over a month ago and coming out flat for the bowl. Day's detractors might be right, he has been just coasting off of what Urban built. He will end up like Cooper. Can't win the big ones. Complacency has taken over the program as a result of their own arrogance.

Wasn't that long ago when Harbaugh was more screwed.

In fact, if the game btwn the weasels and bucknuts hadn't been canceled during the Covid season (where Day's team would have reamed Harbaugh's), very likely that it would have been the last game Jimbo would have coached for UM, who, btw, until this season had a worse record in the post-season.

But Harbaugh made drastic changes at D, bringing in an NFL scheme (thanks to his brother) built to slow down dOSU's high powered passing offense, which also set them up against who they faced for the Natty.

Urban's running QB O really no longer worked, which is why he brought in Day as the OC.

Day seems to have found his DC, all he needs to do is to make changes on the offensive side.

I'd say the odds are pretty good that bucknuts win against UM (especially if JJ leaves), so Day would be 1-3 (should be 2-3) against UM.

Bucknuts fans calling for Days' head are just as misguided as those calling for Harbaugh's a few years ago; but for too many injuries to the WR room, dOSU likely would have beaten UGA last season and gone on to win the Natty.

Guess USC should fire Lincoln since he's done a worse job in LA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eurocat and zeek55
Wasn't that long ago when Harbaugh was more screwed.

In fact, if the game btwn the weasels and bucknuts hadn't been canceled during the Covid season (where Day's team would have reamed Harbaugh's), very likely that it would have been the last game Jimbo would have coached for UM, who, btw, until this season had a worse record in the post-season.

But Harbaugh made drastic changes at D, bringing in an NFL scheme (thanks to his brother) built to slow down dOSU's high powered passing offense, which also set them up against who they faced for the Natty.

Urban's running QB O really no longer worked, which is why he brought in Day as the OC.

Day seems to have found his DC, all he needs to do is to make a changes on the offensive side.

I'd say the odds are pretty good that bucknuts win against UM (especially if JJ leaves), so Day would be 1-3 (should be 2-3) against UM.

Bucknuts fans calling for Days' head are just as misguided as those calling for Harbaugh's a few years ago; but for too many injuries to the WR room, dOSU likely would have beaten UGA last season and gone on to win the Natty.

Guess USC should fire Lincoln since he's done a worse job in LA.
100% agree with everything you said.

Day will be fine at Ohio State and getting rid of him now would be a mistake.

This year almost feels like the other side of the coin to the Covid 2020 year, that was a weird year due to cancellations and no fans and all that, but this is equally weird with the Covid eligibility players that have been on squads for 5-6 years.

What we saw from Washington and Michigan is probably not replicable in terms of team composition as the 6+ year players exit the stage.

Day will be fine as the game shifts back to squads being a bit younger on average (more emphasis on recruiting/portal where Ohio State outshines Michigan) than what we saw this year.

The difference between Ohio State and Michigan the past 5-7 years hasn't been all that big. That series is streaky, but the teams aren't as mismatched as the series often appears.

Last edited:
100% agree with everything you said.

Day will be fine at Ohio State and getting rid of him now would be a mistake.

This year almost feels like the other side of the coin to the Covid 2020 year, that was a weird year due to cancellations and no fans and all that, but this is equally weird with the Covid eligibility players that have been on squads for 5-6 years.

What we saw from Washington and Michigan is probably not replicable in terms of team composition as the 6+ year players exit the stage.

Day will be fine as the game shifts back to squads being a bit younger on average (more emphasis on recruiting/portal where Ohio State outshines Michigan) than what we saw this year.

The difference between Ohio State and Michigan the past 5-7 years hasn't been all that big. That series is streaky, but the teams aren't as mismatched as the series often appears.
So is the Big Ten now the best conference again? Or is it still the SEC?

I do think the Big Ten will be more comparable to the SEC from top to bottom in the future with the 4 West Coast additions; they do add needed depth below the top of the conference which was getting top-heavy as Wisconsin and Michigan State pulled back some in terms of strength compared to a decade ago.

There's just been a huge gap between say Penn State and the rest of the conference (with Ohio State/Michigan above Penn State).

That gap is much larger the past few years than before, and those 4 will plug that gap well.

It should benefit us in terms of not always being huge underdogs in bowl games as well; hasn't been a problem of late of course, but it'll be nice to be on a more even playing field given the Big Ten has always scheduled aggressively for bowls for matchups.

Looking at this season and including next years home for school’s changing conferences AP final poll shows the SEC have more top 25 teams (8 vs 6) than B1G. But adding all vote getters, the conferences are equal. In bowl games, SEC had 11 teams (including B12 add-ons) and finished 5-6. B1G had 13 including P12 adds) teams and went 10-5 (include BCS championship game). Although Ohio St, Penn St, and Iowa bombed in their bowl games, Michigan, Washington, and Oregon did well. So, the B1G seems to be slightly ahead this year.

B1G ranked teams (with Pac12 adds)
1 Michigan
2 Washington
6 Oregon
10 Ohio State
13 Penn Stare
24 Iowa
Other votes: USC, UCLA, Notthwestern

SEC ranked teams (with B12 adds)
3 Texas
4 Georgia
5 Alabama
8 Missouri
9 Ole Miss
12 LSU
15 Oklahoma
17 Tennessee
Other votes: Kentucky

Last edited:
Looking at this season and including next years home for school’s changing conferences AP final poll shows the SEC have more top 25 teams (8 vs 6) than B1G. But adding all vote getters, the conferences are equal. In bowl games, SEC had 11 teams (including B12 add-ons) and finished 5-6. B1G had 13 including P12 adds) teams and went 10-5 (include BCS championship game). Although Ohio St, Penn St, and Iowa bombed in their bowl games, Michigan, Washington, and Oregon did well. So, the B1G seems to be slightly ahead this year.

B1G ranked teams (with Pac12 adds)
1 Michigan
2 Washington
6 Oregon
10 Ohio State
13 Penn Stare
24 Iowa
Other votes: USC, UCLA, Notthwestern

SEC ranked teams (with B12 adds)
3 Texas
4 Georgia
5 Alabama
8 Missouri
9 Ole Miss
12 LSU
15 Oklahoma
17 Tennessee
Other votes: Kentucky
All of the top 5. Nine of the top 10. And 12 of the top 15.

The two conferences will dominate everything - NIL, TV coverage, TV revenue and championships - for the foreseeable future. No surprise there. Will the ACC and BIG 12 push the MAC out of the midweek TV slots?

Will NU adapt and thrive? Or die a self imposed death on the golden vine? My guess is it will flirt with a Dark Ages II death and endure being Duke football's Bit(h before there's even a chance any serious consideration is given to adapting.

The people running the railroad just don't get it.

GOUNUII

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT