ADVERTISEMENT

10 Worst Major College Football Programs - Article

GlideCat

Jan 19, 2013
This is one of those FB links that requires 100 clicks to get through it. Unless you are really interested, it is annoying.

High point: NU is not on the list.

Higher point: Illinois is.

Expected: Indiana is on the list.

Rounding out the B1G: Maryland

Biggest surprise: They have Duke on the list. Even though the list is intended to be over a span of years, I would not have expected Duke to be included right now.

Others on the list: Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Kansas, Washington State, Iowa State, Wake Forest

Link:

http://www.answers.com/article/1183...&param5=1388566064709251&param6=6037538924386

Reactions: concrete17
This is one of those FB links that requires 100 clicks to get through it. Unless you are really interested, it is annoying.

Biggest surprise: They have Duke on the list. Even though the list is intended to be over a span of years, I would not have expected Duke to be included right now.

Others on the list: Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Kansas, Washington State, Iowa State, Wake Forest

Link:

http://www.answers.com/article/1183...&param5=1388566064709251&param6=6037538924386
3 of the 10 worst college football programs are in the BiG? That doesn't sound good. Nor am I sure I believe it.

They must be going by recent seasons. Otherwise, no way Maryland is on that list and we're not.
Maryland was a weird one. They specifically mentioned that Maryland had three 10 win seasons in a row not very many years ago. They seem to discard those seasons as an aberration against a more overwhelming trend.

Their arguments seemed to contradict between teams. I read one where they said that the team consistently won about 50% of their games and that put them in this bottom 10 while for other teams, their verbiage seemed to indicate that such a performance would keep a team off of this list.

Very subjective and frequently weak logic. I only read it all of the way through because I was afraid that we might be named based on some of their reasoning.

These sorts of rankings are really unworthy. But I think this is interesting - Four of the ten are private schools. Other similar schools in the P5 that arguably belong: BC and Syracuse. That only leaves three, Northwestern, Miami and Stanford, deservedly omitted from the list of shame.

These sorts of rankings are really unworthy. But I think this is interesting - Four of the ten are private schools. Other similar schools in the P5 that arguably belong: BC and Syracuse. That only leaves three, Northwestern, Miami and Stanford, deservedly omitted from the list of shame.

Actually, Miami has been a mess since they cleaned up the program and eliminated the drugs, money and extracurricular events.......

Maryland was a weird one. They specifically mentioned that Maryland had three 10 win seasons in a row not very many years ago. They seem to discard those seasons as an aberration against a more overwhelming trend.

Their arguments seemed to contradict between teams. I read one where they said that the team consistently won about 50% of their games and that put them in this bottom 10 while for other teams, their verbiage seemed to indicate that such a performance would keep a team off of this list.

Very subjective and frequently weak logic. I only read it all of the way through because I was afraid that we might be named based on some of their reasoning.
I would consider NU, Rutgers and Minnesota all weaker football brands than Maryland and I think Purdue is pretty close too.

Link:

Before Barnett arrived, we would have been the clear number one here!

Before Barnett arrived, we would have been the clear number one here!
I used to hate that "Bottom 10" List. I think it was Sports Illustrated at the time, now ESPN.

We were always #1. They called us the "Mildcats"

Hated it. But before the internet and living in the South, it was the easiest place to find our latest scores since it was posted in the local newspaper on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.

That list is funny to me now. It wasn't then.

Last edited:
The article is wrong.
Here is who should be #1 on that list.
Agree?

KU_zpstp4lvjug.png

As a B1G fan, it is hard to see Iowa State on the list since they have had Iowa's number for the past few years.

Link:

The list seems dopey to me. It is a list that blames some schools for being good inBB and others for having production drop off recently even if they have been good from time to time.

I would consider NU, Rutgers and Minnesota all weaker football brands than Maryland and I think Purdue is pretty close too.

Hard to argue with this. When you think, "bad football", Maryland would hardly be one of the first few names that popped into your mind.

Purdue could be there if the trends of recent years continue, but historically they've been a competitive program with an all-time winning record. Hardly one of the ten worst.
Purdue has a worse all time winning % and significantly fewer conference championships and bowl games than Maryland. Neither one is probably a ten worst, but Maryland isn't even close

I would include Idaho, Eastern Michigan, Georgia State and Hawaii.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT