ADVERTISEMENT

10 Years and Counting

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
Don't look for any changes to the staff next season....

DP-xqDEX0AECldm.jpg:large

As the coaching carousel spins, we're getting ready to try and earn win No. 10 with the most consistent staff in the nation. One committed to the students they recruit.
https://twitter.com/NUFBFamily

And we should be thankful. Goodness. I’m not going to say we have the best coach at every single position we could possibly have. Because I have NO IDEA. And neither do 99.99% of the ‘fans’ bitching each week about who should or shouldn’t be fired. But my god, if you can’t look around the country (Tennessee) and see the damage that can be done to a program (Tennessee) by an AD capitulating to unknowledgable fans on message boards and other social media platforms, then I’m not going to debate it with you because the most glaring argument against your points isn’t swaying you.

God, how many programs have scuttled coaching staffs after strong seasons because the fans expected more? Expected CHAMPIONS!!! This is what has killed Nebraska, firing Solich after a 9-3 year. They only began to recover under Pelini, who they then fired after a 9-3 year. How has that worked out for the once DOMINANT program?

We are 9-3! We may have our THIRD 10 win season in the last six years this year, after having ONE such season in the prior 130 years. Yeah, let’s start firing people. We expect more!

Jesus.

And we should be thankful. Goodness. I’m not going to say we have the best coach at every single position we could possibly have. Because I have NO IDEA. And neither do 99.99% of the ‘fans’ bitching each week about who should or shouldn’t be fired. But my god, if you can’t look around the country (Tennessee) and see the damage that can be done to a program (Tennessee) by an AD capitulating to unknowledgable fans on message boards and other social media platforms, then I’m not going to debate it with you because the most glaring argument against your points isn’t swaying you.

God, how many programs have scuttled coaching staffs after strong seasons because the fans expected more? Expected CHAMPIONS!!! This is what has killed Nebraska, firing Solich after a 9-3 year. They only began to recover under Pelini, who they then fired after a 9-3 year. How has that worked out for the once DOMINANT program?

We are 9-3! We may have our THIRD 10 win season in the last six years this year, after having ONE such season in the prior 130 years. Yeah, let’s start firing people. We expect more!

Jesus.
NU is not Tennessee. And Jim Phillips isn't some buffoon who is reading and responding to message board doofuses. But it is hard to believe that there isn't a single position group that could benefit from an upgrade over a 10 year period......

Jesus.
Not arguing against your point but since this is an NU Board, I feel I must discuss your statistical analysis method. The 10 win metric is clearly misleading given that during most of the 130 years, them team played 10 or fewer games. So to say that our winning 10 out of 13 is the same level of achievement as winning 10 out of 11 (most of those years) or 10 out of 8 (added to make a cute point - my forte) is - as said earlier - misleading.

That being said, the present coaching staff has us where we are at. It is not where we want to be but it is a good place. I wholeheartedly agree that large scale changes to the coaching staff would be absurd. But a surgical change to bring in new blood and new ideas conducted in the correct way usually tends to reinvigorate the staff as a whole. I am talking generally - not just football. Hopefully the additional coach can provide this spark and help us take the next step to where we want to go.

“But a surgical change to bring in new blood and new ideas conducted in the correct way usually tends to reinvigorate the staff as a whole. I am talking generally - not just football. Hopefully the additional coach can provide this spark and help us take the next step to where we want to go.”

Says who? On what basis of experience are you stating that bringing in a new OL coach will invigorate Bates and Springer? “Invigorate a staff as a whole.” What made up garbage.

This is my problem with statements like yours. You state as FACT something of which you have absolutely no knowledge nor experience whatsoever. None. Yet you state this as a fact upon which your point can be based. You have no idea how a college coaching staff works, their responsibilities, nor how they interact. Yet here you are making up facts about that process, and then giving your expertise in how it can be improved. Ridiculous.

As for my statement of three 10 win seasons in the last six years, fine. Change it to number of seasons with at least a .769 winning percentage. We have two of those in the last five seasons, and could have our third in sixth. How many of those have we had in the 130 years prior to 2012? Only one in my lifetime, 1995. Yours?

“It’s not where we want to be”? Honestly?! This is our best stretch in history, our facilities are the best they’ve ever been, the investment in the program is at an all time high, we’ve won 2 of our last 3 bowl games after one win in our history, and been in eight bowl games in the last 10 years. And to you, “it’s not where we want to be”? If this isn’t what you’ve wanted, you’ve been a NU fan during the dark years hoping for better than this? Really? Only BT Championships and NC for you, huh?

Last edited:
Reactions: JVENETOS
“But a surgical change to bring in new blood and new ideas conducted in the correct way usually tends to reinvigorate the staff as a whole. I am talking generally - not just football. Hopefully the additional coach can provide this spark and help us take the next step to where we want to go.”

Says who? On what basis of experience are you stating that bringing in a new OL coach will invigorate Bates and Springer? “Invigorate a staff as a whole.” What made up garbage.

This is my problem with statements like yours. You state as FACT something of which you have absolutely no knowledge nor experience whatsoever. None. Yet you state this as a fact upon which your point can be based. You have no idea how a college coaching staff works, their responsibilities, nor how they interact. Yet here you are making up facts about that process, and then giving your expertise in how it can be improved. Ridiculous.

As for my statement of three 10 win seasons in the last six years, fine. Change it to number of seasons with at least a .769 winning percentage. We have two of those in the last five seasons, and could have our third in sixth. How many of those have we had in the 130 years prior to 2012? Only one in my lifetime, 1995. Yours?
Decaf for you. ;)

“It’s not where we want to be”? Honestly?! This is our best stretch in history, our facilities are the best they’ve ever been, the investment in the program is at an all time high, we’ve won 2 of our last 3 bowl games after one win in our history, and been in eight bowl games in the last 10 years. And to you, “it’s not where we want to be”? If this isn’t what you’ve wanted, you’ve been a NU fan during the dark years hoping for better than this? Really? Only BT Championships and NC for you, huh?
Disagree and agree.
The second half of your post is totally legit. We really are in a good place. 8 bowls in 10 years alone is a huge success historically speaking. I remember thinking how great it would be if we could just average 5 bowls every 10 years; How fun would it be to cheer for a program that could do that? This year many of us had such high hopes, I think it tainted our feelings about the season but if you step back...man, 9 wins and all the facility changes that are just around the corner. Things are awesome at NU right now.
The first part though, not that Glide can't defend himself, but he did say "usually" and that he was talking "generally not just football". I assembled seasonal staffs and leadership teams every year for 25 years and I can tell you that one well chosen (or poorly chosen) member of your leadership team and make or break a good season.

Not disagreeing at all that “one well chosen (or poorly chosen) member of a leadership team can make or break” that team’s goals. But 1) that’s NOT what was said and 2) this leadership team has presided over more successful NU seasons in history. This is what you consider being ‘broken’?

I have NO idea what your teams do, their responsibilities, how they interact with one another, or do not. So for me to tell you what you should do with that team, that you should fire someone based on my uniformed perception of my interpretation of their performance would be ridiculous. Yet that is what posters on this board do A LOT. And then to make claims that despite our decade of unprecedented success, this staff NEEDS to be invigorated and point out how they KNOW that could be done, is completely ridiculous.

Last edited:
Not disagreeing at all that “one well chosen (or poorly chosen) member of a leadership team can make or break” that team’s goals. But 1) that’s NOT what was said and 2) this leadership team has presided over more successful NU seasons in history.

I have NO idea what your teams do, their responsibilities, how they interact with one another, or do not. So for me to tell you what you should do with that team, that you should fire someone based on my uniformed perception of my interpretation of their performance would be ridiculous. Yet that is what posters on this board do A LOT. And then make claims that despite our decade of unprecedented success, this staff NEEDS to be invigorated and how that would be done is completely ridiculous.

This remind me f something Dick Cheney used to do. He'd plant a rumor about something and the NY Times (or similar organization) would report on it. He'd then claim it as fact since it was reported by the media.

Posters here say it, so the Dick Cheney's say it must be true.

A. Hello pot, you speak strongly to kettle. You state as FACT that glide has zero knowledge. You do not KNOW that. It is an assumption. I haven’t seen anyone around here disclose the credentials to justify their thoughts and opinions. And yours rank right with glide in terms of value.

2. As shocking as it may be to you, there is a palpable presence of folks with higher expectations than better than the dark ages. You are not one. Ok. That does not make you better or right. Just different. Are you condemning those different than you? Not very PC....

1. We should have higher expectations than 10 wins, i.e. at the minimum a B1G West title and then beyond to B1G title and so on.
2. Just because we have greater expectations doesn't mean firing assistant coaches will help. In fact it might destabilize the rest of the staff and make them more likely to pursue other jobs if they think they might be next.
3. We are likely in the era of greatest consistent win % the program has seen in the last several decades, which I think is a good "normalized" metric to account for differences in # of games played/season, # of bowls etc. I tried to go to cfbdatawarehouse.com which is an easy way to visualize this but it's not working. Hailtopurple.com has a chart here (http://www.hailtopurple.com/cde/seasons2016.gif) which on my visual inspection seems to confirm it.
4. On the flip side you can't use Nebraska and Tennessee as examples of what might happen because 99% here are not advocating firing the head coach and AD. Programs don't go in the tank because they fire assistant coaches.

A. Hello pot, you speak strongly to kettle. You state as FACT that glide has zero knowledge. You do not KNOW that. It is an assumption. I haven’t seen anyone around here disclose the credentials to justify their thoughts and opinions. And yours rank right with glide in terms of value.

2. As shocking as it may be to you, there is a palpable presence of folks with higher expectations than better than the dark ages. You are not one. Ok. That does not make you better or right. Just different. Are you condemning those different than you? Not very PC....

You’re absolutely right. Glade, can you please share your credentials and experience as it pertains to building and maintaining a college football coaching staff, and please share where your moves regarding firing and replacing a member of that staff has ‘invigorated’ those who were kept?

You’re absolutely right. Glade, can you please share your credentials and experience as it pertains to building and maintaining a college football coaching staff, and please share where your moves regarding firing and replacing a member of that staff has ‘invigorated’ those who were kept?
Me? I was completely content with being described as having no experience or knowledge regarding running a college football program. Simple statement of fact. I thought my post was something of a water pistol and your response was something of a shotgun blast. I thought that was funny.

Me? I was completely content with being described as having no experience or knowledge regarding running a college football program. Simple statement of fact. I thought my post was something of a water pistol and your response was something of a shotgun blast. I thought that was funny.

You’re right. I did have a lot of coffee this morning. :-/

I think glade, gcg, Corbin and former players have all expressed a belief that Cushing should go.

I think glade, gcg, Corbin and former players have all expressed a belief that Cushing should go.

I don't recall ever saying Cushing should be fired. You're confusing me with Glidecat, I think.

I don't recall ever saying Cushing should be fired. You're confusing me with Glidecat, I think.
For the record, I never said that, either. It is implicit in several of my posts, granted, but not directly stated. Since I am somewhat on the fence on the issue.

It’s easy to get Glades and I confused. We favor around the eyes.

Reactions: DarthCat

Dude, you are literally a cockroach. All the posts all over the board about NU All Big Ten selections, bowl destinations, other feel good elements about NU football, like, you know, a seven game BT win streak that hasn’t been accomplished in 20 years. Nothing from you. But a thread gets started about firing members of the staff, and you scurry out from your little hidey hole and nibble away at the decay.

How can you claim to care at all about the success of NU football when all you care about discussing is firing people, and all the good news stories about the program are seemingly irrelevant to you unless we start swinging the axe?

Dude, you are literally a cockroach. All the posts all over the board about NU All Big Ten selections, bowl destinations, other feel good elements about NU football, like, you know, a seven game BT win streak that hasn’t been accomplished in 20 years. Nothing from you. But a thread gets started about firing members of the staff, and you scurry out from your little hidey hole and nibble away at the decay.

How can you claim to care at all about the success of NU football when all you care about discussing is firing people, and all the good news stories about the program are seemingly irrelevant to you unless we start swinging the axe?

And you are simply an ignorant bully. I don't care which bowl we play as I'm unlikely to make and they will all be on the tube. I have said repeatedly across this board that I am interested to see how we perform.

You choose to stick your head in the ground as a fully purple tinted, koolaid slurping klanner. A thread that I don't start speaks to retaining the full staff and I read. Then you attack another poster for his opinions and I call you out.

Ignore is your friend. I am not. Your attitude and mind embarrass me to have shared sheepskin.

Reactions: DarthCat
And you are simply an ignorant bully. I don't care which bowl we play as I'm unlikely to make and they will all be on the tube. I have said repeatedly across this board that I am interested to see how we perform.

You choose to stick your head in the ground as a fully purple tinted, koolaid slurping klanner. A thread that I don't start speaks to retaining the full staff and I read. Then you attack another poster for his opinions and I call you out.

Ignore is your friend. I am not. Your attitude and mind embarrass me to have shared sheepskin.

Hahahahaha. Classic psychological projection at its best. Made my day.

If the ground is full of 9 and 10 win seasons, massive facility upgrades and bowl victories, I’ll enjoy my tasty purple koolaid down there all day long.

But so glad we have your ‘interest’ so you can be sure to remind us how we shouldn’t be enjoying the greatest period of growth and success in the program’s history. Such a burden you must bear to be the only one who sees the truth, and isn’t blinded by all the false trappings of winning, stability and program investing going on. I’m sure you WANT to be happy and enjoy this success, but being a such beacon of truth and needing to warn we mindless sheep of our blindness is just too large of a responsibility to ignore.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: thewildcat2011
If the ground is full of 9 and 10 win seasons, massive facility upgrades and bowl victories, I’ll enjoy my tasty purple koolaid down there all day long.

But so glad we have your ‘interest’ so you can be sure to remind us how we shouldn’t be enjoying the greatest period of growth and success in the program’s history. Such a burden you must bear to be the only one who sees the truth, and isn’t blinded by all the false trappings of winning, stability and program investing going on. I’m sure you WANT to be happy and enjoy this success, but being a such beacon of truth and needing to warn we mindless sheep of our blindness is just too large of a responsibility to ignore.

Thank you.

You are a fruitcake. There are plenty on this board and in the nu community that have raised the bar. Take a poll fool. Division championships, nyd bowls, guys playing on Sundays.

Keep your head in the sand and pretend everyone agrees with you. Again, embarassment to the parchment with such closed minded thinking and intolerance for those that chose to hold opinions different from yours.

Maybe you would live happier in a country where the right to have and speak different opinions is condemned. Your kids must really enjoy you...

You are a fruitcake. There are plenty on this board and in the nu community that have raised the bar. Take a poll fool. Division championships, nyd bowls, guys playing on Sundays.

Keep your head in the sand and pretend everyone agrees with you. Again, embarassment to the parchment with such closed minded thinking and intolerance for those that chose to hold opinions different from yours.

Maybe you would live happier in a country where the right to have and speak different opinions is condemned. Your kids must really enjoy you...

Who’s disagreeing with you?! Where am I arguing against your right to voice a discerning opinion?

Again, you are a shining light all of those wandering around in the darkness, and we can only hope you will guide us out of our complacancy with mediocrity.

So far, after questioning why I can only find posts from you that are related to firing people, and cannot find a single statement with anything positive to say about any aspect of the program, I have been called......

‘Ignorant’.
A ‘bully’.
A ‘koolaide slurping klanner’.
An embarrassment to you.
A ‘friitcake’
A ‘fool’...
with my ‘head in the sand’
An ‘embarrassment to the parchment’
‘Close minded’
‘Intolerant’
And somehow/someway, of no enjoyment to my children?!?

Thank you. I knew I was lost, but had no clue there were so many aspects where you could help me. Thank you for being so kind in your guidance and showing me all the areas I have hurt my school, my children and you. I am truly truly sorry. Where do I go from here? Help me.

Who’s disagreeing with you?! Where am I arguing against your right to voice a discerning opinion?

Again, you are a shining light all of those wandering around in the darkness, and we can only hope you will guide us out of our complacancy with mediocrity.

So far, after questioning why I can only find posts from you that are related to firing people, and cannot find a single statement with anything positive to say about any aspect of the program, I have been called......

‘Ignorant’.
A ‘bully’.
A ‘koolaide slurping klanner’.
An embarrassment to you.
A ‘friitcake’
A ‘fool’...
with my ‘head in the sand’
An ‘embarrassment to the parchment’
‘Close minded’
‘Intolerant’
And somehow/someway, of no enjoyment to my children?!?

Thank you. I knew I was lost, but had no clue there were so many aspects where you could help me. Thank you for being so kind in your guidance and showing me all the areas I have hurt my school, my children and you. I am truly truly sorry. Where do I go from here? Help me.
“Says who? On what basis of experience are you stating that bringing in a new OL coach will invigorate Bates and Springer? “Invigorate a staff as a whole.” What made up garbage.

So for me to tell you what you should do with that team, that you should fire someone based on my uniformed perception of my interpretation of their performance would be ridiculous. Yet that is what posters on this board do A LOT. And then to make claims that despite our decade of unprecedented success, this staff NEEDS to be invigorated and point out how they KNOW that could be done, is completely ridiculous.

Thank you.

Gee Darth, is the kitchen a little warm for you? Did I hurt your little feelings? I am so sorry, I hope you had access to a safe space. Funny thing about bullies and picking fights - when they get hit square in the nose, they tend to run and cry.

Wait, don't go, I truly am deeply sorry for calling you all those bad things. It was very insensitive of me to choose such hurtful words. I should remember the golden rule and treat those the way I want to be treated. Well, rest assured, I will spend my afternoon in confession and performing my penance - may God have mercy on my soul. I can only hope in the spirit of the Holidays, that you can find a way to forgive me for my transgressions. Now excuse me, someone has walked into my office looking to buy a bridge...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT