ADVERTISEMENT

#13 Coaches and AP polls

That's garbage! At minimum we should be 12 and that was the point of my post yesterday. The media just doesn't want to buy what we are doing. Pisses me off.

That's garbage! At minimum we should be 12 and that was the point of my post yesterday. The media just doesn't want to buy what we are doing. Pisses me off.

It's the coaches, mybrotha. The writers' poll has not yet been released, as Styre pointed out.

Turns out we are also #13 in the AP poll, behind TCU and Baylor.

Also noteworthy...Michigan is #19. I bet there will be a spirited conversation amongst the Citrus Bowl committee today. Apparently we can read about it in almost real-time:

It will be hard for the Citrus to pass us up because Michigan moved so far down in the polls. Of course they can still do it, but I am sure Phillips is working them hard.

We actually travel quite well. I think we go to the Citrus Bowl.

Good year for the Wildcats. As fans we all want to see our teams go undefeated and win it all, but that's not always realistic whether the team is from Northwestern or OSU.

I think being ranked 13 with a victory over a potential Nation Championship team would have been a very attractive outcome if you were transported back in time to the Summer asked if that would be acceptable.

Thanks Klemman.

I don't want to repost or rehash what I posted 24 hours ago....but I have to do it.

We won TEN GAMES this year against teams like Nebraska and Wisconsin (and our hated rival the Illini).

The two teams we lost to are Iowa (who might end up being national champions of college football) and Michigan (okay that sucked we ran into a buzzsaw there, our one crappy game of the year, I don't count Iowa, they are good!).

We are now top 13. Win the bowl and we are virtually certain to be top ten.

Guys I went to NU 1985-1989. The fact that we are top ten is breathtaking to me. So what that we lost two games to the potential national champion and a team on a winning streak.

Okay we have more to aspire to next year. 13-0.

But this was a good year. Now dance the happy dance -

Reactions: iskaboo
The individual ballots for NU are all over the map. For example, a writer for cleveland.com and a radio broadcaster out of Columbus, OH ranked the Wildcats as #8, ahead of Stanford, ND, and Florida State. On the other hand, writers for Albuquerque and Tampa Bay newspapers ranked us 21 and 20, respectively, behind 4 loss USC and 3 loss Utah. That guy from Tampa and about 7 voters from the Southwest region, AZ, NM, and TX, really screwed us.

It really doesn't matter. Being ranked in the top 15 (or top 20 for that matter) and a chance to play in a New Year's Day bowl against a quality SEC opponent works for me. I am proud of our guys for a great season, love being in this position and want to enjoy it.

Let's see what happens on the bowl rankings on Tuesday. They seem to be a bit more "objective."

Let's see what happens on the bowl rankings on Tuesday. They seem to be a bit more "objective."
Our playoff rankings have consistently been higher than both the AP & Coaches polls. I'll be surprised if we're not in the Top 12 come Tuesday.

Maybe they watch the games and see that were lucky to string 2 first downs together on most possessions.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT