ADVERTISEMENT

WildAboutThePurple

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2018
The fact that we finished the season ranked #17 in the nation is all that matters. Preseason rankings mean absolutely nothing. Hopefully we arn’t even in the preseason rankings again next season. No need to have that target on our backs or put too much pressure on what may be a new QB. This program has never had this much momentum. Let the countdown begin until we paint West Lafayette Purple. No reason for a large purple crowd to not make the short trip. This team deserves the support.

The matchup vs Purdue should be interesting, though a tough one to scout. PU loses some good players on what was a good front 7, and I will assume we will need to run against them as I doubt CT will be ready to go for week 1. Will also be interesting to see who is at QB for PU: the big armed Sindelar or the more mobile Blough. It’s possible we see both, though Blough’s injury was significant.

But the biggest X factor will be week 1 on a Thursday night. Week 1 is always a crapshoot. Thursday night is typically the domain of high scoring MAC games, not power conference tilts.

Reactions: Noah121
The matchup vs Purdue should be interesting, though a tough one to scout. PU loses some good players on what was a good front 7, and I will assume we will need to run against them as I doubt CT will be ready to go for week 1. Will also be interesting to see who is at QB for PU: the big armed Sindelar or the more mobile Blough. It’s possible we see both, though Blough’s injury was significant.

But the biggest X factor will be week 1 on a Thursday night. Week 1 is always a crapshoot. Thursday night is typically the domain of high scoring MAC games, not power conference tilts.

Sindelar also had ACL surgery after the bowl, so status may be up in the air.

Thursday shouldn’t matter all that much because it can be planned for throughout camp.

Reactions: ricko654321
Sindelar also had ACL surgery after the bowl, so status may be up in the air.

Thursday shouldn’t matter all that much because it can be planned for throughout camp.

I agree. The only tim they should play on Thursday or Friday night is the first game of the season or following a bye week.

Reactions: Noah121
Isn't Sindelar's injury the same as CT's? How in the hell did he play 4 games on it? Was Sind's not as severe- is that even possible/ a tear is a tear right? I am really in awe of Sind's toughness or craziness? What year is Blough- a junior or senior in the Fall? Did he tear an acl too??

The CFP committee does a final ranking, right? I’m most interested to see where NU finishes relative to Stanford, for recruiting purposes and bragging rights. 3 spots ahead in AP and 2 ahead in Coaches.

The CFP committee does a final ranking, right? I’m most interested to see where NU finishes relative to Stanford, for recruiting purposes and bragging rights. 3 spots ahead in AP and 2 ahead in Coaches.
Nope I don't think so. The purpose of the ranking is to select the participants in the CFP, so now that that's over not sure why there would be value add in doing another ranking - we already know who won

There's no post playoff CFP poll.

The AP, Coaches etc. do their poll and announce their champions after but the playoff doesn't need a post poll to determine their champion.

#17 is a fair ranking for us based on body of work.

There's no post playoff CFP poll.

The AP, Coaches etc. do their poll and announce their champions after but the playoff doesn't need a post poll to determine their champion.

#17 is a fair ranking for us based on body of work.
Isn't that what the BB team was ranked all off season? :(

Isn't that what the BB team was ranked all off season? :(
True, well you should be happy to know that our football team is likely to get a preseason rank around 22-23.

...But that matches our preseason ranking going into the 2013 season. We started that season brilliantly riding 4-0 to Gameday in Evanston against Ohio State. Of course, we lost that game in the 4th quarter and the next 6 games too.

Hopefully this time, it goes better. I'm much more optimistic about this coming season than I was after 2012. Even with the CT injury, I think we're much deeper than we were in 2013-2014.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT