ADVERTISEMENT

2016: A Look Back and Ahead

gocatsgo2003

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2006
With the bowl game played and the calendar turning over to 2017, feels like a good time for another one of these... and we're off!

What a weird year. The first two games were an unmitigated train wreck (that had me calling for people to be fired). To their credit, the players and coaches turned the season around to finish 7-4 (5-4) with a win over a game Pitt team to finish out the year; not "the destination" by any means, but worlds better than pretty much anyone would have predicted after the first two weeks and some decent momentum for the offseason.

My over/under for a "successful season" remains 6.5 regular season wins with a bowl win. I therefore wouldn't really consider this season a "success," though it's going to be a whole lot easier to sit through the loonnnggggg offseason coming off a bowl win.

Much to my disbelief, Austin Carr has to be the season MVP with Justin Jackson a clear second. I don't know that anyone could have seen Carr's breakout year coming (I mean seriously... 23 career catches to B1G Receiver of the Year and a Biletnikoff Award finalist?) while Jackson was the difference in a lot of games.

In my opinion, the uneven performances were driven primarily by the up-and-down play we got from our OL. Butler taking over for Mahoney starting with the Michigan State game seemed to turn things around (do I get partial credit for my "PEOPLE NEED TO LOSE THEIR JOBS" rant?), which can be seen in the statistics: after giving up 3, 3, 5, 4, and 1 sacks in the first five games (3.2/game), the MSU started a string of 1, 3, 1, 2, and 0 over the next five games (1.4/game). However, the final three games closed out with 7, 5, and 4 (5.3/game) when Minnesota, Illinois, and Pitt realized they could simply overpower our OL in passing scenarios. Credit to the OL in becoming more physical in the run game over the course of the season, but their performance was the key driver over the course of the season.

Recruiting

The class of 2017 looks to mostly be set absent a decommitment or otherwise unexpected turn of events toward the end of the process. Ellis Brooks seems to be the most legitimate target left on the board and would be a great get at a position that is suddenly a near-desperate need; here's hoping he really likes his upcoming official visit because he seems like a pretty solid Maryland lean at this point. Jax Wacaser has an offer and is a good-looking prospect, but I don't get the feeling that we have a great shot there. If we land anyone besides Brooks, my guess would be someone more like Andrew Stueber or Joel Honigford if Harbaugh starts using his "meritocracy" method to cut guys or a decommit who isn't even on the radar yet.

Either way, the class seems yet again pretty solid... click a name below for a link to the most recent Hudl tape I could find:

QB Andrew Marty
WR Berkeley Holman
WR Jace James
WR Kyric McGowan
SB Trey Pugh
OL Sam Gerak
OL Rashawn Slater
OL Ethan Wiederkehr
DL Earnest Brown
DL Trevor Kent
DL Sam Miller
LB Blake Gallagher
LB Peter McIntyre
DB Austin Hiller
DB Bryce Jackson
DB JR Pace
DB Cameron Ruiz
K Charlie Kuhbander

I'll save my full "recruiting wrap" post for after Signing Day, but the long story short is that this is another quality class top-to-bottom. Brown is the clear headliner on defense, but the whole DL group is strong. I'm pleasantly surprised by Holman (not "fast fast," but runs better than I thought) and Hiller (good size and makes a lot of plays against top competition). McIntyre and Ruiz are both developmental guys, but have interesting athletic talents. Given our current roster construction, I wonder if Pace or Hiller might be considered for a move to LB (in addition to guys already on the roster who might have the frame, like Murray).

Season

While Walker leaving early clearly puts a damper on our 2017 prospects, at least we have Igwebuike back. The defense should again be pretty darn good, though I suspect we might see a lot more nickel than in years past as the trio of Igwebuike/Queiro/McGee is pretty good (especially considered against our suddenly-thin LB corps). Production from Robbins and Odenigbo can likely be replaced by a combination of Gaziano, Goens, Carnifax, and Alex Miller; it will be interesting to see if Gooden can physically develop enough to provide a pass rush threat. DTs should remain stout with Lancaster and Thompson starting; Wyatt showed flashes and Saunders looked physically ready on senior tape.

Similar to 2016, the offensive line will likely be the key on that side of the ball. Doles, Oxley, and Vogel are all decent candidates to replace Olson at RT (who struggled mightily at times anyway). The rest of the guys need to get stronger to firm up their pass sets, which were occasionally still quite soft. Replacing Carr will likely by "by committee," but I'm hopeful that another year with Thorson will lead to better chemistry throughout the room rather than with just one guy. Nagel and Wilson flashed on occasion, but their ability to be lead WRs might be limited by size/speed (though I was wrong on Carr in that regard, so who knows?). Jackson/Long/Moten will be a potent RB group and any contributions from Anderson, Larkin, or Brown will likely be on special teams. Dickerson came on at SB as the year played out and I suspect we might see more of Green as a pass catcher.

Good news is that the schedule is pretty favorable. OOC is pretty weak with Nevada, Duke, and Bowling Green, but we will find out REALLY QUICKLY whether we are for real with Wisconsin and Penn State to open the B1G slate. We should have a decent shot in all the remaining B1G games and get most of the better teams at home (Iowa, MSU, Minnesota); Nebraska is a tough call post-Armstrong and I don't anticipate too much of a bounce for Maryland, Purdue, or Illinois based purely on the personnel of those two programs. With another year of development for the OL and WR along with better health and a couple lucky bounces, we could pretty easily make some noise in the B1G West.

With the bowl game played and the calendar turning over to 2017, feels like a good time for another one of these... and we're off!

What a weird year. The first two games were an unmitigated train wreck (that had me calling for people to be fired). To their credit, the players and coaches turned the season around to finish 7-4 (5-4) with a win over a game Pitt team to finish out the year; not "the destination" by any means, but worlds better than pretty much anyone would have predicted after the first two weeks and some decent momentum for the offseason.

My over/under for a "successful season" remains 6.5 regular season wins with a bowl win. I therefore wouldn't really consider this season a "success," though it's going to be a whole lot easier to sit through the loonnnggggg offseason coming off a bowl win.

Much to my disbelief, Austin Carr has to be the season MVP with Justin Jackson a clear second. I don't know that anyone could have seen Carr's breakout year coming (I mean seriously... 23 career catches to B1G Receiver of the Year and a Biletnikoff Award finalist?) while Jackson was the difference in a lot of games.

In my opinion, the uneven performances were driven primarily by the up-and-down play we got from our OL. Butler taking over for Mahoney starting with the Michigan State game seemed to turn things around (do I get partial credit for my "PEOPLE NEED TO LOSE THEIR JOBS" rant?), which can be seen in the statistics: after giving up 3, 3, 5, 4, and 1 sacks in the first five games (3.2/game), the MSU started a string of 1, 3, 1, 2, and 0 over the next five games (1.4/game). However, the final three games closed out with 7, 5, and 4 (5.3/game) when Minnesota, Illinois, and Pitt realized they could simply overpower our OL in passing scenarios. Credit to the OL in becoming more physical in the run game over the course of the season, but their performance was the key driver over the course of the season.

Recruiting

The class of 2017 looks to mostly be set absent a decommitment or otherwise unexpected turn of events toward the end of the process. Ellis Brooks seems to be the most legitimate target left on the board and would be a great get at a position that is suddenly a near-desperate need; here's hoping he really likes his upcoming official visit because he seems like a pretty solid Maryland lean at this point. Jax Wacaser has an offer and is a good-looking prospect, but I don't get the feeling that we have a great shot there. If we land anyone besides Brooks, my guess would be someone more like Andrew Stueber or Joel Honigford if Harbaugh starts using his "meritocracy" method to cut guys or a decommit who isn't even on the radar yet.

Either way, the class seems yet again pretty solid... click a name below for a link to the most recent Hudl tape I could find:

QB Andrew Marty
WR Berkeley Holman
WR Jace James
WR Kyric McGowan
SB Trey Pugh
OL Sam Gerak
OL Rashawn Slater
OL Ethan Wiederkehr
DL Earnest Brown
DL Trevor Kent
DL Sam Miller
LB Blake Gallagher
LB Peter McIntyre
DB Austin Hiller
DB Bryce Jackson
DB JR Pace
DB Cameron Ruiz
K Charlie Kuhbander

I'll save my full "recruiting wrap" post for after Signing Day, but the long story short is that this is another quality class top-to-bottom. Brown is the clear headliner on defense, but the whole DL group is strong. I'm pleasantly surprised by Holman (not "fast fast," but runs better than I thought) and Hiller (good size and makes a lot of plays against top competition). McIntyre and Ruiz are both developmental guys, but have interesting athletic talents. Given our current roster construction, I wonder if Pace or Hiller might be considered for a move to LB (in addition to guys already on the roster who might have the frame, like Murray).

Season

While Walker leaving early clearly puts a damper on our 2017 prospects, at least we have Igwebuike back. The defense should again be pretty darn good, though I suspect we might see a lot more nickel than in years past as the trio of Igwebuike/Queiro/McGee is pretty good (especially considered against our suddenly-thin LB corps). Production from Robbins and Odenigbo can likely be replaced by a combination of Gaziano, Goens, Carnifax, and Alex Miller; it will be interesting to see if Gooden can physically develop enough to provide a pass rush threat. DTs should remain stout with Lancaster and Thompson starting; Wyatt showed flashes and Saunders looked physically ready on senior tape.

Similar to 2016, the offensive line will likely be the key on that side of the ball. Doles, Oxley, and Vogel are all decent candidates to replace Olson at RT (who struggled mightily at times anyway). The rest of the guys need to get stronger to firm up their pass sets, which were occasionally still quite soft. Replacing Carr will likely by "by committee," but I'm hopeful that another year with Thorson will lead to better chemistry throughout the room rather than with just one guy. Nagel and Wilson flashed on occasion, but their ability to be lead WRs might be limited by size/speed (though I was wrong on Carr in that regard, so who knows?). Jackson/Long/Moten will be a potent RB group and any contributions from Anderson, Larkin, or Brown will likely be on special teams. Dickerson came on at SB as the year played out and I suspect we might see more of Green as a pass catcher.

Good news is that the schedule is pretty favorable. OOC is pretty weak with Nevada, Duke, and Bowling Green, but we will find out REALLY QUICKLY whether we are for real with Wisconsin and Penn State to open the B1G slate. We should have a decent shot in all the remaining B1G games and get most of the better teams at home (Iowa, MSU, Minnesota); Nebraska is a tough call post-Armstrong and I don't anticipate too much of a bounce for Maryland, Purdue, or Illinois based purely on the personnel of those two programs. With another year of development for the OL and WR along with better health and a couple lucky bounces, we could pretty easily make some noise in the B1G West.
Thanks for your insight. What about special teams? Who will be the place kicker? Is Kuhbander a punter or place kicker? I don't see anyone on the current roster ready to step up with Miccuci being listed as the back up to Mitchell on the depth chart and both are graduating.

Thanks for your insight. What about special teams? Who will be the place kicker? Is Kuhbander a punter or place kicker? I don't see anyone on the current roster ready to step up with Miccuci being listed as the back up to Mitchell on the depth chart and both are graduating.

Kuhbander is a kicker and I would anticipate he takes over the FG job. Weissenhoffer might have the leg for KO, not sure on Kuhbander.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Great recap, thanks! Didn't see a mention of Xavier Washington. Doesn't he have eligibility remaining? If so, it would seem he would be a key returnee to the D line?

Great recap, thanks! Didn't see a mention of Xavier Washington. Doesn't he have eligibility remaining? If so, it would seem he would be a key returnee to the D line?

For sure. The DEs mentioned above were more in the context of replacing Robbins and Odenigbo opposite Washington.

The main question is: do we have the team to win the Big 10 West next season?

On defense, how much will we miss Walker? Will we have a championship caliber defense?

On offense, how much will we miss Carr? We know Justin will get 1,000+ yards barring injury. Will Thorson improve? Will the OL get better?

Washington should move to linebacker. He is athletic and fast. A bit undersized at the DE spot. Thoughts ?

Washington should move to linebacker. He is athletic and fast. A bit undersized at the DE spot. Thoughts ?

Not nearly fast or athletic enough to play LB. Plus would be robbing Peter to pay Paul as it would leave us with zero experienced DEs and no more experienced LBs.

On defense, how much will we miss Walker? Will we have a championship caliber defense?

On offense, how much will we miss Carr? We know Justin will get 1,000+ yards barring injury. Will Thorson improve? Will the OL get better?

Im not as informed as the OP, but I think we have a real shot. Yes we are losing Walker and Carr, but Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Iowa are going to lose key players to the draft as well and all three need to replace starting QB's. Minnesota is in that boat as well.

The pundits will pick Whisky. They have a ton coming back too.

They have a couple of guys who might leave early too.

Also I agree they are the favorites, but if Thorson takes another step forward and because a Kafka level QB in his junior year it would be huge.

Im not as informed as the OP, but I think we have a real shot. Yes we are losing Walker and Carr, but Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Iowa are going to lose key players to the draft as well and all three need to replace starting QB's. Minnesota is in that boat as well.

The B1G West should be pretty open next year. Tough to call pretty much any team at this point.

Recruiting

QB Andrew Marty
WR Berkeley Holman
WR Jace James
WR Kyric McGowan
SB Trey Pugh
OL Sam Gerak
OL Rashawn Slater
OL Ethan Wiederkehr
DL Earnest Brown
DL Trevor Kent
DL Sam Miller
LB Blake Gallagher
LB Peter McIntyre
DB Austin Hiller
DB Bryce Jackson
DB JR Pace
DB Cameron Ruiz
K Charlie Kuhbander

Season

I was sure Wilson was a senior and even stated so in an earlier thread. Therefore, I must say:"WILSON!!! I'm sorry Wilson, I'm sorry!!"

Recruiting

QB Andrew Marty
WR Berkeley Holman
WR Jace James
WR Kyric McGowan
SB Trey Pugh
OL Sam Gerak
OL Rashawn Slater
OL Ethan Wiederkehr
DL Earnest Brown
DL Trevor Kent
DL Sam Miller
LB Blake Gallagher
LB Peter McIntyre
DB Austin Hiller
DB Bryce Jackson
DB JR Pace
DB Cameron Ruiz
K Charlie Kuhbander

Season

Thanks and good look ahead. Going a step further, Lancaster and Thompson suddenly become a hell of a lot more important to the success of our LBs given Walker is leaving.

Think we all agree - returning talent and strong schedule (despite Walker loss) is making 2017 look damn exciting, but need somebody (anybody?) to step up in the OL and have any of our several WR2s become a WR1.

Will also say that in the past, recruiting always seemed to lag a year with results, but with the acceleration in commits - think we should expect a 2018 class that will rival 2014s, if not better, given the momentum, facilities and expected results.

Thanks and good look ahead. Going a step further, Lancaster and Thompson suddenly become a hell of a lot more important to the success of our LBs given Walker is leaving.

Think we all agree - returning talent and strong schedule (despite Walker loss) is making 2017 look damn exciting, but need somebody (anybody?) to step up in the OL and have any of our several WR2s become a WR1.

Will also say that in the past, recruiting always seemed to lag a year with results, but with the acceleration in commits - think we should expect a 2018 class that will rival 2014s, if not better, given the momentum, facilities and expected results.

We shouldn't anticipate much uplift in recruiting due to the facilities until 2019 (at the earliest) and, really, "expected results" don't play much of a role in recruiting either. 2018 has some momentum coming off the bowl win, but also some things working against that momentum (WMU/ISU, etc.).

We shouldn't anticipate much uplift in recruiting due to the facilities until 2019 (at the earliest) and, really, "expected results" don't play much of a role in recruiting either. 2018 has some momentum coming off the bowl win, but also some things working against that momentum (WMU/ISU, etc.).

We have already seen an uplift and it will only get stronger once the first concrete is poured. An RS Fresh will have four years in those facilities and 2018 kids know that now. Same reason why recruits gave consideration to facilities way back in 2014, even those that thought they only had one or two years to use them (oops). This stuff matters, especially given the perception of Northwestern. Academics we can control easily, commitment to football is more difficult for us. Having that hole in the ground is a great counterpart for the latter, especially given the negative recruiting you and our team have seen in the past.

We also have the ability right now to recruit against the anticipation of a future event (the facility), which, depending how we play it, can also be helpful.

Re: expected results - I hate typing and have a tendency to be too brief in my descriptions. Meant our schedule next year sets up well for recruiting. Expecting a strong OOC (knock on wood) record and several marquee games at home where we can get a big win for the visitors that day - which fits recruiting timing well.

And momenum - point taken. Sure, other teams recruiting against NU will point to ISU (think the WMU loss doesn't fit here), but that win against Pitt and game against OSU will be damn good counterpoints. But that argument can be made for many of our competitors as well (e.g., Iowa), and several of our typical rivals in recruiting have even worse momentum (MSU, ND, Duke, Vandy, etc).

I am expecting big things for the class of 2018.

We have already seen an uplift and it will only get stronger once the first concrete is poured. An RS Fresh will have four years in those facilities and 2018 kids know that now. Same reason why recruits gave consideration to facilities way back in 2014, even those that thought they only had one or two years to use them (oops). This stuff matters, especially given the perception of Northwestern. Academics we can control easily, commitment to football is more difficult for us. Having that hole in the ground is a great counterpart for the latter, especially given the negative recruiting you and our team have seen in the past.

We also have the ability right now to recruit against the anticipation of a future event (the facility), which, depending how we play it, can also be helpful.

Re: expected results - I hate typing and have a tendency to be too brief in my descriptions. Meant our schedule next year sets up well for recruiting. Expecting a strong OOC (knock on wood) record and several marquee games at home where we can get a big win for the visitors that day - which fits recruiting timing well.

And momenum - point taken. Sure, other teams recruiting against NU will point to ISU (think the WMU loss doesn't fit here), but that win against Pitt and game against OSU will be damn good counterpoints. But that argument can be made for many of our competitors as well (e.g., Iowa), and several of our typical rivals in recruiting have even worse momentum (MSU, ND, Duke, Vandy, etc).

I am expecting big things for the class of 2018.

Facilities: I don't think you're going to see any quantifiable recruiting uplift based on a hole in the ground or framework going up; you're going to see the uplift when a recruit can actually walk into a functioning lakefront facility and that's not going to happen for a while (scheduled for summer 2018 completion).

"Expected Results:" With the accelerated schedule of recruiting nowadays, we might have 85-90% of our 2018 class committed before we kick off the season against Nevada on September 2. Just look at the class of 2017 -- our most recent commitment was McGowan on 7/27, a full month before we kicked off on 9/3. The class of 2016 was similar with Larkin as the only commitment to occur during or after the season; Gooden was the next-to-last commitment and was on 7/8, almost two months before the opener on 9-5. Again, positive results on the field in 2017 will likely be more important for the class of 2019 than the class of 2018.

Momentum: It's very difficult to spin a loss into a recruiting positive, even if it is a close loss to OSU in The Shoe. VERY difficult. It's much easier for opponents to spin a loss to ISU into a gigantic negative.

I think the class of 2018 could very well be better than the class of 2017, but will be more because (i) the classes of 2016 and 2017 wrapped up pretty early, allowing the staff to shift their focus to 2018 earlier and (ii) Fitz and his staff are consistently improving recruiting year-over-year. Any "bump" will likely not be seen until 2019, then a bigger "bump" in 2020.

Reactions: CatsDad
I see a large dropoff in playmakers on defense right now. Who's gonna make up for all the sacks and TFL's graduating this year now that Odenigbo and Walker are leaving? Robbins was a pretty good DE/DT as well. Do we blitz the safeties more next year?

I see a large dropoff in playmakers on defense right now. Who's gonna make up for all the sacks and TFL's graduating this year now that Odenigbo and Walker are leaving? Robbins was a pretty good DE/DT as well. Do we blitz the safeties more next year?

I think Xavier Washington was our best DE this past year and if he stays healthy I think he is poised to have a big year with the potential for double digit sacks. I also think that with the experience he has accumulated and one more offseason in the weight room Gaziano is poised to break out. These two guys, if healthy, have shown that they can easily meet or exceed this year's production at the DE spot while providing more balanced play in the run game. Replacing Walker is a different story. We have no one at the MLB position that is proven. Fox and Fisher are promising prospects but neither have done anything on the field to give us certainty of production next year. I do think Fox and Fisher will step and play well but in the absence of that I think we can feel comfortable that Hall is poised to step up his game and replace some of that production and we are also likely to see us McGee play more as a hybrid safety/linebacker alongside Quiero/Godwin/Hall/Walsh next year. Overall, I have no concerns about replacing Ifeadi's production. While I wish Walker was coming back, I think through a combination of players we will be able to replace his production as well.

I think we should just add another player to replace Walker. Go with a 4-4-4 alignment. That or convert Auston Anderson to the Mike.

I give a lot of credit to Thorson in the Duke game in settling the OL. Against Duke, he showed that he could beat all out blitzes by going over the top. Once blitzes became rarer, OL communication and pass protection improved. I agree that OL deserves credit for improving in the run game.

I have to put some blame on the coaches at the start of the season. They had the OGs set way back allowing DEs to build up speed before any blocking contact.

I give a lot of credit to Thorson in the Duke game in settling the OL. Against Duke, he showed that he could beat all out blitzes by going over the top. Once blitzes became rarer, OL communication and pass protection improved. I agree that OL deserves credit for improving in the run game.

I have to put some blame on the coaches at the start of the season. They had the OGs set way back allowing DEs to build up speed before any blocking contact.

The soft pass sets have been happening for three or four years now. Might be the thing I like least about our schemes. Dislike that almost as much as I dislike the Hands in the Air "tradition."

Are the soft pass sets an indication that our tackles lack the foot speed to slide back with faster DEs?

It's an indication that our coaches don't think they have the foot speed to kick-step with elite edge rushers. Maybe that will change with another year of experience for Hance and the departure of Olson (who... struggled this year to put it nicely).

Reactions: Hungry Jack
It's an indication that our coaches don't think they have the foot speed to kick-step with elite edge rushers. Maybe that will change with another year of experience for Hance and the departure of Olson (who... struggled this year to put it nicely).
That seems to be the thing that really sets the good ones apart. It seemed that vs. Pitt we used JJ more to chip on the edge than in other games. It does not help much if the interior is getting blown up like it was vs. Minny, but I always thought we should have our backs blocking more in pass protection.

S

Stats are for losers, Thorson doubled his passing yardage this year and tripled his TD passes. At the same time threw one fewer pick. In the event he improves he should be special to watch. I anxiously await.

Stats are for losers, Thorson doubled his passing yardage this year and tripled his TD passes. At the same time threw one fewer pick. In the event he improves he should be special to watch. I anxiously await.

The bigger question is who he will be throwing to with Carr gone (and, to a lesser extent, Scanlan). Nagel and Wilson seem better complementary receivers. Vault has the physical skills, but hasn't yet put it all together as a wideout. Skowronek has a lot of work to do physically if he wants to be a lead wideout. Roberts seems limited to being a "gadget player" due to his size. Fessler was conspicuously quiet this year. We don't really know anything about Reese, Bowman, or Lees. McGowan, Holman, and James seem to be decent prospects but are months away from even setting foot on campus.

Spring ball will be extremely important for our WR corps and I hope Thorson is already out there throwing routes to them, because we really REALLY need at least two guys to emerge as consistent threats if we want our offense to improve in 2017.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Facilities: I don't think you're going to see any quantifiable recruiting uplift based on a hole in the ground or framework going up; you're going to see the uplift when a recruit can actually walk into a functioning lakefront facility and that's not going to happen for a while (scheduled for summer 2018 completion).

"Expected Results:" With the accelerated schedule of recruiting nowadays, we might have 85-90% of our 2018 class committed before we kick off the season against Nevada on September 2. Just look at the class of 2017 -- our most recent commitment was McGowan on 7/27, a full month before we kicked off on 9/3. The class of 2016 was similar with Larkin as the only commitment to occur during or after the season; Gooden was the next-to-last commitment and was on 7/8, almost two months before the opener on 9-5. Again, positive results on the field in 2017 will likely be more important for the class of 2019 than the class of 2018.

Momentum: It's very difficult to spin a loss into a recruiting positive, even if it is a close loss to OSU in The Shoe. VERY difficult. It's much easier for opponents to spin a loss to ISU into a gigantic negative.

I think the class of 2018 could very well be better than the class of 2017, but will be more because (i) the classes of 2016 and 2017 wrapped up pretty early, allowing the staff to shift their focus to 2018 earlier and (ii) Fitz and his staff are consistently improving recruiting year-over-year. Any "bump" will likely not be seen until 2019, then a bigger "bump" in 2020.

1) One, you can rarely quantify any uplift from any one particular factor. But from just observation, I see an uptick in the quality since the announcement. And based on the number of recruits discussing it, I would say it plays a part.

It is really a two-step gain. An announcement helps counter the argument against NU not being committed to football. Then, another gain as recruits can walk the actual facility, and compare to others

2) Which was my original point. That said - it's not so much having the class locked up early, its also keeping them, which is why a strong start and a few marquee home games help (though, admittedly, the team did a great job retaining the recruits we had this year). But do agree there is a halo effect for the ensuing year as well

3) Fair point. I would say though, if anyone can do it (given our rep/history) it would be us. We are still fighting 25 year old perceptions of us, whether we like it or not. Sometimes even a loss like OSU can overcome those specifically stuck in the days Notre Dame and Miami were powers.

There are a few other mitigating circumstances in favor of 2018
  • Weak seasons by traditional rivals (e.g., ND, MSU, etc.)
  • More instate, offer-able talent
  • Lots of starters graduating in 2017
  • Early start in 2018 recruiting
  • Win over a strong rust-belt team
  • Having a QB be our first commit (more helpful than you think)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT