ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting

Overly_Invested_Cat

Sep 10, 2015
Does anyone have an accurate count of how many scholarships we have left for 2018? We've been holding steady at 13 recruits, but also have been extending a few more offers. I know that both Jalen Brown and Troy Klock have another year of eligibility in 2018, so that may alter the equation.

Does anyone have an accurate count of how many scholarships we have left for 2018? We've been holding steady at 13 recruits, but also have been extending a few more offers. I know that both Jalen Brown and Troy Klock have another year of eligibility in 2018, so that may alter the equation.

Also have to factor in that Vault will RS next year and then come back for a 5th year. We have no more than 4 to give and that assumes a few RS juniors not being asked back for a 5th year.

Also have to factor in that Vault will RS next year and then come back for a 5th year. We have no more than 4 to give and that assumes a few RS juniors not being asked back for a 5th year.

I can never back into the right number, but the 2014 class was strong and I am not sure we'll have more than two RS not asked back for a fifth year. I was thinking 16 total or 3 more. So RB, LB and WR. If 4th opens up, either another RB or LB.

I can never back into the right number, but the 2014 class was strong and I am not sure we'll have more than two RS not asked back for a fifth year. I was thinking 16 total or 3 more. So RB, LB and WR. If 4th opens up, either another RB or LB.

If you assume that everybody with eligibility comes back, then we only have 1 left to give. That includes the transfers (Brown and Klock) and Vault now coming back for the 2018 season. I think there are 3 RS juniors who are unlikely to come back given their careers have been largely injury plagued to date. That would give us 4 more for this class.

Not going to name names out of respect for the kids, but I could see at least three and maybe four guys not coming back for a fifth year (whether due to injury, lack of production, or placement on the depth chart) unless they have a significant breakthrough in 2017.

And, as we unfortunately learned last year, there's always the potential for a medical retirement or unanticipated transfer.

It's also not completely out of the question that XWash could take a redshirt this year and come back in 2018.

(There's a reason it's extremely difficult for outsiders to correctly calculate remaining scholarships... just so many variables.)

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Can a player redshirt for disciplinary reasons? Has there been any official legal action/convictions yet? Still so disappointed- really like X-Man

I am not sure if XWash will get invited back for a 5th year. Especially with all the serious studs we have in the form of reinforcements coming into the program at the DE position. Still, I think XW should get a second chance to finish his football and academic career with NU. Young people make mistakes in their personal lives- and that can get them in trouble. Even so, redemption is possible with a second chance.

I am not sure if XWash will get invited back for a 5th year. Especially with all the serious studs we have in the form of reinforcements coming into the program at the DE position. Still, I think XW should get a second chance to finish his football and academic career with NU. Young people make mistakes in their personal lives- and that can get them in trouble. Even so, redemption is possible with a second chance.

Interesting that Grant Perry, one time NU commit, Michigan player is back practicing with team while they sort our his sexual assault case. Have no idea of the circumstances around the Perry case, but Hardballs is clearly taking an innocent until proven guilty stance where I doubt we will.

Can a player redshirt for disciplinary reasons? Has there been any official legal action/convictions yet? Still so disappointed- really like X-Man
If he has not taken a RS, don't know why he could not.

Not going to name names out of respect for the kids, but I could see at least three and maybe four guys not coming back for a fifth year (whether due to injury, lack of production, or placement on the depth chart) unless they have a significant breakthrough in 2017.

And, as we unfortunately learned last year, there's always the potential for a medical retirement or unanticipated transfer.

It's also not completely out of the question that XWash could take a redshirt this year and come back in 2018.

(There's a reason it's extremely difficult for outsiders to correctly calculate remaining scholarships... just so many variables.)
A lot of speculation on XWash. While he is currently suspended for at least the beginning of the season, we really do not know where it will go from there. Lot of information that we the fans do not nor should we have. Will he be suspended for the whole year? Lot of assumptions but do we really know?

A lot of speculation on XWash. While he is currently suspended for at least the beginning of the season, we really do not know where it will go from there. Lot of information that we the fans do not nor should we have. Will he be suspended for the whole year? Lot of assumptions but do we really know?

... which was the entire point of my post.

Interesting that Grant Perry, one time NU commit, Michigan player is back practicing with team while they sort our his sexual assault case. Have no idea of the circumstances around the Perry case, but Hardballs is clearly taking an innocent until proven guilty stance where I doubt we will.

could be completely wrong here, but I remember hearing he smacked a girl's ass while he was waiting in line to get into a bar. Dumb and punishable, but not exactly a Baylor-type situation

could be completely wrong here, but I remember hearing he smacked a girl's ass while he was waiting in line to get into a bar. Dumb and punishable, but not exactly a Baylor-type situation

While that part is indeed pretty dumb, methinks it's probably the felony resisting arrest charge that got him suspended:

Perry is accused of inappropriately touching a woman while waiting in line at an East Lansing, Michigan, bar in the early-morning hours of Oct. 15. He was charged in December with one felony count of assaulting, battering, resisting or obstructing an officer; two misdemeanor counts of fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct; and an underage drinking charge.
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-back-michigan-wolverines-awaiting-court-date

If it's an addiction - and circumstances concerning the arrest suggest so - it should rationalize as medical redshirt status. I do hope he gets a second chance and uses it to turn himself around.

It wouldn't have to be a medical hardship, which would require NCAA approval. XWash played as a true freshman, so he could simply take a "regular" redshirt if that's the avenue he and the program decided most appropriate.

If it's an addiction - and circumstances concerning the arrest suggest so - it should rationalize as medical redshirt status. I do hope he gets a second chance and uses it to turn himself around.
Where do you get that?

That is terrible speculation on your part, and should most likely have not been posted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT