ADVERTISEMENT

2020 recruiting

Alabama clearly doesn't play that way anymore. And it would be nice to accept that you CAN have a great offense and a great defense. I'd rather do the Clemson strategy or whatever Ohio State was doing up until this year than whatever we're doing now.

You might rather, but I think Fitz knows what it takes to win better than us. He may well be telling McCall to play conservative, don't make mistakes (turnover, penalties), open up offense only as needed and let the defense control the game. Alabama opened it up this year and they got destroyed in the championship game including costly mistakes. Playing conservative offense that doesn't make mistakes and makes timely plays is good offense.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Yes, but it would be nice to have a decent OC AND a decent DC. It seems that since Walker, we've either had great offense or a great defense, but complemented by a horrendous defense or medicore at best offense. No wonder we haven't won a B1G in almost 2 decades.
Two F****** decades?...It seems like yesterday, but I guess not. Actually, it WAS yesterday, or last month, when we won the B1G West, which given the changes in the B1G is pretty damn good, especially given we played your nemesis OSU and played them well, which is not worth complaining about.

The dissatisfaction stems from the fact that our offense is consistently ranked in the lower half of Division I along almost all key metrics. It didn't used to be that way under Dunbar, Wilson, and Brandon. Those guys made it look easier gaining yardage and scoring points. With aguably less talented players or at least depth according to the narrative on these boards. That's why.

Maybe it was because Cushing's failure to develop the OL was the reason and McCall had no say over who coached the OL or isn't responsible for that part of the offense, which I have doubts about, but I guess we will see what happens now that Anderson is here.

Or maybe the head coach has a different offensive philosophy? Fitz only cares about wins, stats are for losers. How many times do we need to say it before it penetrates that thick skull of yours? The OC takes his direction from the HC. It’s not like McCall has forgotten how to coach; the guy has guided prolific offenses many times in the past. If you’re not happy with the offensive philosophy direct your ire towards Fitz; not McCall.

You might rather, but I think Fitz knows what it takes to win better than us. He may well be telling McCall to play conservative, don't make mistakes (turnover, penalties), open up offense only as needed and let the defense control the game. Alabama opened it up this year and they got destroyed in the championship game including costly mistakes. Playing conservative offense that doesn't make mistakes and makes timely plays is good offense.
Fitz, conservative, really?

Fitz might have discovered his inner riverboat gambler the past couple of years on 4th downs, but he still has the mindset that he wants a ball-control style team that manages the clock and field position and edges opposing teams. Our philosophy under Fitz has been to maintain possession and bleed clock where we can, whether through dink and dunk or rushing, and then bend but don't break defense. That's a recipe for winning low-scoring contests, which has been our strong suit the past decade.

Given the results of the past 4 years, it's working out now that we have the horses (especially on defense) to win those types of games more often than not.

Maybe that changes with Hunter Johnson and a more talented WR group, but I don't really think it will if our defensive depth is as good as it's been the past couple of years.

Our offensive play may look inefficient statistically, but all that matters is we put up more points than our opponents.

Last edited:
Reactions: NJCat
Reminded of an adage in coin collecting. Buy the coin and not the holder. Get the guy you want and not the rating which as we have seen can be pretty deceptive

Of course, such advice assumes that one can properly assess a coin's or a player's quality/value.

Shouldn't "game day" home atmosphere be the next thing that needs to come together
to close loop vs. "competitors" re:"top" recruits? Anything wrong with making "Attending
Home Football Games 101" a 1 credit class?
If you get them there, it would still help if you can get them there at the beginning and keep them there throughout the whole game

They'll be announcing a stadium renovation sometime in the next 18 months I'd guess.

After the stadium renovation, we can see what needs to be worked on for gameday atmosphere.
get ready to open your pocketbook again.

The dissatisfaction stems from the fact that our offense is consistently ranked in the lower half of Division I along almost all key metrics. It didn't used to be that way under Dunbar, Wilson, and Brandon. Those guys made it look easier gaining yardage and scoring points. With aguably less talented players or at least depth according to the narrative on these boards. That's why.

Maybe it was because Cushing's failure to develop the OL was the reason and McCall had no say over who coached the OL or isn't responsible for that part of the offense, which I have doubts about, but I guess we will see what happens now that Anderson is here.
Under Walker O was stressed but Fitz has a D background. While he is fine with having an O(tough with the OLs we have fielded), if it compromised the D or the overall team performance....

Shouldn't "game day" home atmosphere be the next thing that needs to come together
to close loop vs. "competitors" re:"top" recruits? Anything wrong with making "Attending
Home Football Games 101" a 1 credit class?
NU doesn't even give credit to NUMB members. Hence the steady dwindling numbers.

Are you talking about 9 wins including or excluding bowl games? Because 10 teams in the final CFP Top 20 had 9 wins or less.
In all honesty, I was including the bowl win. I didn't realize there were so many 9 win teams in the top 20. I should have checked.

Not correct. My daughter got a half credit each fall for marching band.
Guess the information I remember reading was wrong then. It partially blamed the dwindling size of NUMB on the fact that the kids got no credit and very few lasted more than two years.

Guess the information I remember reading was wrong then. It partially blamed the dwindling size of NUMB on the fact that the kids got no credit and very few lasted more than two years.

Fake news, apparently.

I really am at a loss to understand the dissatisfaction with Coach McCall among a small group of fans. I think he has done a great job in devising game plans to utilize our players' skills and minimize their weaknesses. In addition, he has been largely able to overcome the problems posed by poor OL play. Scoring enough points to win is no easy task; please do not minimize it. I look forward to seeing our offense with Anderson coaching the OL.

Going to disagree w/ that (albeit McCall, at times, did a better job w/ that this past season), both w/ regard to play-calling and use of personnel.

But blame goes to both McCall and Fitz.

Keep in mind that Fitz may well prefer a ball-control, mistake-free strategy for offense and win the close games with defense and timely offense. That has been the formula. The RBs have barely lost any fumbles over the years but our worst loss was when Thorson threw a bunch of TOs. Alabama became a dynasty with that formula, despite insane talent. Also, we will see what happens with Hunter at QB. We thought our run-blocking was horrible early this year and blamed the OL but clearly we had a frosh RB who found holes on virtually every run so it wasn't all on the OL.

The QBs w/ the highest QBR were -

1. Murray - 42 TD, 7 INT
2. Tua - 43 TD, 6 INT
3. Haskins - 50 TD, 8 INT

Lawrence was 6th - 30 TD, 4 INT

Thorson is 65th - 17 TD, 15 INT

'Bama under Saban had been opening up its O for few years now as Saban realized that the O needed to score more to keep up w/ the top scoring teams.

Opening up
an O doesn't necessarily mean an increased risk of TO's.

The problem in the Championship game is that Clemson had the far better game plan, in no small part due to the OC/DC having been around w/ 'Bama having new co-ordinators who weren't as good as in past years.

Last edited:
Since it usually takes all cycle before major events like the new facilities, great season to impact recruiting in full do we expect a recruiting bump next year? Not sure what else we would need to take the next step in recruiting.

Back to the original post, and now that the 2019 class is a wrap, I think we all realize how important the 2020 class is for recruiting and helping Fitz get more elite players to continue the upwards trajectory. As stated many times over, if we can land an incremental 2 or 3 elite players on our A list (and coincidentally 4 stars), that would help our chances greatly. The stars are aligned, so to speak -- new Fitz Carlton facility, B1G West championship, 3 straight bowl wins, new 5 star QB taking the reins -- the table is set perfectly for an outstanding recruiting class. It's off to a great start, too. Let's see if we can land some of our top targets now.

Back to the original post, and now that the 2019 class is a wrap, I think we all realize how important the 2020 class is for recruiting and helping Fitz get more elite players to continue the upwards trajectory. As stated many times over, if we can land an incremental 2 or 3 elite players on our A list (and coincidentally 4 stars), that would help our chances greatly. The stars are aligned, so to speak -- new Fitz Carlton facility, B1G West championship, 3 straight bowl wins, new 5 star QB taking the reins -- the table is set perfectly for an outstanding recruiting class. It's off to a great start, too. Let's see if we can land some of our top targets now.

We already landed four of our top targets...

Reactions: freewillie07
We already landed four of our top targets...

It's a good start, and I'm happy with the class so far. Now we need to land some of the other big targets, especially on the OL - Skoronski, Persi, etc. That's when we'll know we are getting traction from the Fitz Carlton, the new OL coach, B1G West championship, etc.

At one point, I believe they removed the requirement for Music Majors to be in band. It has gone downhill in size since. Doesn't help that first 2-3 games are often before students are on campus

Looking over our 2020 offers list in the recruiting DB, there are definitely some impressive athletes on the list, although there are every year. For some reason, or maybe 260 million reasons, I have a higher degree of hope for our chances to land a higher % of our A-list guys this cycle. However, I still find it odd that we are so selective in our offering. Just to throw out some comparisons, according to the DB, here are 2020 offer counts for related programs:

Northwestern: 47

Notre Dame: 116
Stanford: 35 (oddly low)
Michigan: 257 (ahh, Har-bage)
Duke: 144
Vanderbilt: 171
Wisconsin: 113
Nebraska: 277 (Frosty tells Har-bage, "hey, hold my beer")
Minnesota: 98
Purdue: 208
Illinois: 68

Now, Fitz has proven to find and land kids that truly fit the program's ideals and his graduation rate is even more impressive than what he has accomplished on the gridiron. But, sometimes I do wish that there was a bit of a wider net on the top athletes. There seems to be a lot of concern among the purple faithful that Purdue and Nebraska are going to be coming on strong in the very near future; they will be a threat to NU's recent string of success in the B1G West. Do we expect them to consistently out-recruit NU in the next few cycles and how much of this might you attribute to approach?

Anyway, let's go Fitz and co, go get yourself some of these young studs with offers. One thing is for sure... if you are going to fish with a spear, you better hit your shots or risk starving to death. 4 in the bag, but some big ones still swimming nearby.

Looking over our 2020 offers list in the recruiting DB, there are definitely some impressive athletes on the list, although there are every year. For some reason, or maybe 260 million reasons, I have a higher degree of hope for our chances to land a higher % of our A-list guys this cycle. However, I still find it odd that we are so selective in our offering. Just to throw out some comparisons, according to the DB, here are 2020 offer counts for related programs:

Now, Fitz has proven to find and land kids that truly fit the program's ideals and his graduation rate is even more impressive than what he has accomplished on the gridiron. But, sometimes I do wish that there was a bit of a wider net on the top athletes. There seems to be a lot of concern among the purple faithful that Purdue and Nebraska are going to be coming on strong in the very near future; they will be a threat to NU's recent string of success in the B1G West. Do we expect them to consistently out-recruit NU in the next few cycles and how much of this might you attribute to approach?

Anyway, let's go Fitz and co, go get yourself some of these young studs with offers. One thing is for sure... if you are going to fish with a spear, you better hit your shots or risk starving to death. 4 in the bag, but some big ones still swimming nearby.

Those offer totals reflect an offer now and sort them out later mentality. NU does not do that. We only offer kids we are prepared to take a commitment from as soon as the offer is extended. Therefore you better be sure when you offer a player that there isn’t another player that is also interested in you that you may like better. Based on NU’s Approach, they have to be sure of a kid as a prospect on an absolute and relative basis before they offer.

Last edited:
Reactions: FightNorthwestern

Seems to reflect that Stanford under Shaw is the most similar program to NU. High academic standards, very selective rather than shotgun recruiting, desire to maintain a certain close knit family culture and fit etc... If NU can recruit close to the way Stanford has he past decade we’d have talent to compete with top 10 programs and can beat top 25-40 programs with some margin for error. Right now we are winning by the skin of our teeth against those teams.

Seems to reflect that Stanford under Shaw is the most similar program to NU. High academic standards, very selective rather than shotgun recruiting, desire to maintain a certain close knit family culture and fit etc... If NU can recruit close to the way Stanford has he past decade we’d have talent to compete with top 10 programs and can beat top 25-40 programs with some margin for error. Right now we are winning by the skin of our teeth against those teams.
So what is your suggestion that gets us to recruit on that Stanford level of the last decade?

So what is your suggestion that gets us to recruit on that Stanford level of the last decade?

No suggestions as I don’t know what it takes. But I use Stanford’s Shaw era as a barometer of what our talent ceiling might be given high academic standards, small classes and ethical recruiting practices. I believe they pull in top 25 classes with regularity and sometimes top 15-ish. Stanford has enormous built in advantages so if we can pull in top 25-ish classes with some consistency that would be remarkable.

The band at my area state university, which has no music major, is the biggest its been in years and just got back from a successful concert tour in Italy. The biggest problem in our area has been the decline in high school bands. Kids either have the time or desire to participate, or they don't.

No suggestions as I don’t know what it takes. But I use Stanford’s Shaw era as a barometer of what our talent ceiling might be given high academic standards, small classes and ethical recruiting practices. I believe they pull in top 25 classes with regularity and sometimes top 15-ish. Stanford has enormous built in advantages so if we can pull in top 25-ish classes with some consistency that would be remarkable.
Lat year 7 of their 21 recruits were from CA. Helps to be in a talent rich area of the country. Year before they had 2 of 15 but both were 4 stars

Lat year 7 of their 21 recruits were from CA. Helps to be in a talent rich area of the country. Year before they had 2 of 15 but both were 4 stars

As I mentioned they have many built in advantages so that’s why I see what they are doing in terms of recruiting as a sort of “ceiling” of what we could do ideally. But it’s much easier for them for many reasons.

Yep, as I've said before not a coincidence that 2014 was a stellar class for NU when it had Westphal, Thorson and Jackson in IL. Heck, for all his ups and downs, you could throw Hance in there, too.

Realistically, roughly how many of the current offers are we in the hunt for? I'm seeing maybe 4 or 5. It is frustrating that Notre Dame had a strong year... makes recruiting against them in IL just that much harder for guys like Henning and Mills...

Duke, Vandy are not peer institutions as regards academic requirements for revenue sport athletes (using this metic anyway ).

Yep, as I've said before not a coincidence that 2014 was a stellar class for NU when it had Westphal, Thorson and Jackson in IL. Heck, for all his ups and downs, you could throw Hance in there, too.

Realistically, roughly how many of the current offers are we in the hunt for? I'm seeing maybe 4 or 5. It is frustrating that Notre Dame had a strong year... makes recruiting against them in IL just that much harder for guys like Henning and Mills...

Also add Garrett Dickerson, four stars, 4 4stars in the class

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT