ADVERTISEMENT

2022-23 NET ratings updates

Didn't see an update after the Wisconsin win, so I'll post.
NU up to #46 now.

QUAD 1 (3-3)
H #19 Rutgers - L
A #20 Indiana - W
N #23 Auburn - L
H #26 Ohio State - L
H #31 Illinois - W
A #40 Michigan State - W

QUAD 2 (2-2)
N #53 Liberty - W
H #64 Pittsburgh - L
H #65 Wisconsin - W
A #77 Michigan - L

QUAD 3 (2-0)
H #155 DePaul - W
A #240 Georgetown - W

QUAD 4 (6-0)
H #192 Purdue Fort Wayne - W
H #209 Brown - W
H #258 Northern Illinois - W
H #276 UIC - W
H #287Chicago State - W
H #297 Prairie View A&M - W

Didn't see an update after the Wisconsin win, so I'll post.
NU up to #46 now.

QUAD 1 (3-3)
H #19 Rutgers - L
A #20 Indiana - W
N #23 Auburn - L
H #26 Ohio State - L
H #31 Illinois - W
A #40 Michigan State - W

QUAD 2 (2-2)
N #53 Liberty - W
H #64 Pittsburgh - L
H #65 Wisconsin - W
A #77 Michigan - L

QUAD 3 (2-0)
H #155 DePaul - W
A #240 Georgetown - W

QUAD 4 (6-0)
H #192 Purdue Fort Wayne - W
H #209 Brown - W
H #258 Northern Illinois - W
H #276 UIC - W
H #287Chicago State - W
H #297 Prairie View A&M - W
Though I have my doubts about NET as a metric...

Man, we're two buckets away from being 5-1 in Quad 1, 16-3 overall, squarely in the field and competing for the Big Ten title at the moment. But those two Quad 1 road wins will pay dividends down the road if we hold serve.

Though I have my doubts about NET as a metric...

Man, we're two buckets away from being 5-1 in Quad 1, 16-3 overall, squarely in the field and competing for the Big Ten title at the moment. But those two Quad 1 road wins will pay dividends down the road if we hold serve.
If NET thinks Liberty is better than Michigan, Wisconsin and Pittsburgh, its pretty seriously flawed.

But, of course, its the only thing that matters.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
If you'd told me NU was going to go 3-0 this past week, I would have laughed in disbelief, and yet they did, and now they are firmly on the tournament bubble (and leaning in) at #40. Both Illinois and Liberty have become Quad 1 wins, which is big for the resume.

Another three games this week: Quad 1 at Iowa, Quad 3 vs. Michigan, and (currently) Quad 1 at Wisconsin.

QUAD 1 (4-3)
A #20 Indiana - W
H #21 Rutgers - L
H #26 Illinois - W
H #29 Ohio State - L
N #31 Auburn - L
N #46 Liberty - W
A #47 Michigan State - W

QUAD 2 (2-2)
H #62 Pittsburgh - L
H #74 Wisconsin - W
A #83 Michigan - L
A #99 Nebraska - W

QUAD 3 (0-0)

QUAD 4 (9-0)
H #163 DePaul - W
H #197 Purdue Fort Wayne - W
H #200 Brown - W
H #221 Minnesota - W
A #241 Georgetown - W
H #276 Northern Illinois - W
H #277 Prairie View A&M - W
H #280 Chicago State - W
H #281 UIC - W

If you'd told me NU was going to go 3-0 this past week, I would have laughed in disbelief, and yet they did, and now they are firmly on the tournament bubble (and leaning in) at #40. Both Illinois and Liberty have become Quad 1 wins, which is big for the resume.

Another three games this week: Quad 1 at Iowa, Quad 3 vs. Michigan, and (currently) Quad 1 at Wisconsin.

QUAD 1 (4-3)
A #20 Indiana - W
H #21 Rutgers - L
H #26 Illinois - W
H #29 Ohio State - L
N #31 Auburn - L
N #46 Liberty - W
A #47 Michigan State - W

QUAD 2 (2-2)
H #62 Pittsburgh - L
H #74 Wisconsin - W
A #83 Michigan - L
A #99 Nebraska - W

QUAD 3 (0-0)

QUAD 4 (9-0)
H #163 DePaul - W
H #197 Purdue Fort Wayne - W
H #200 Brown - W
H #221 Minnesota - W
A #241 Georgetown - W
H #276 Northern Illinois - W
H #280 Chicago State - W
H #281 UIC - W
We are gonna close the deal soon 🔜

Interesting that the quad 4 wins are all over teams well below the awful 300 mark. That might count for something. NIU just beat MAC leader Kent State and DePaul beat Xavier. Every little bit helps when mathematics enter in.

I hope they don't notice our complete lack of wins in Quad 3.
Well we’ve got a Quad 3 game coming up Thursday. That’s the most important one to win this week. Tomorrow is a bonus opportunity, and even Sunday in Madison is still a Quad 1 game as of now (though the Badgers are teetering on the edge of the top 75). Would be great to split the 2 road games but it’s not an awful week if we go 1-2. Just don’t want to go 0-3 this week.

Well we’ve got a Quad 3 game coming up Thursday. That’s the most important one to win this week. Tomorrow is a bonus opportunity, and even Sunday in Madison is still a Quad 1 game as of now (though the Badgers are teetering on the edge of the top 75). Would be great to split the 2 road games but it’s not an awful week if we go 1-2. Just don’t want to go 0-3 this week.

The Michigan game is the last regular season game on the schedule that could realistically turn into a bad (Q3/4) loss if we lose it. Win that, and only the Pitt loss could become a bad loss, and only then if they drop out of the top 75, which does not seem likely based on their recent performances.

The Michigan game is the last regular season game on the schedule that could realistically turn into a bad (Q3/4) loss if we lose it. Win that, and only the Pitt loss could become a bad loss, and only then if they drop out of the top 75, which does not seem likely based on their recent performances.
"Their recent performances" is something I'm thinking about now. This team now has a 20 game body of work. While it's our tendency to point to each game as being "lucky" in some way because key players on opponents' team have been injured, the fact remains that we are 15-5 (6-3) against these teams. This squad is strong, not just by Northwestern standards but also relative to the B1G and nationally. Let's keep it going. Go Cats!

"Their recent performances" is something I'm thinking about now. This team now has a 20 game body of work. While it's our tendency to point to each game as being "lucky" in some way because key players on opponents' team have been injured, the fact remains that we are 15-5 (6-3) against these teams. This squad is strong, not just by Northwestern standards but also relative to the B1G and nationally. Let's keep it going. Go Cats!
We were recovering from COVID AND Roper was out due to injury, so it's not like we were at 100% during these games.

• Love
I'm with you SE!!! No offense to the person who started it or those who responded to it, but I just don't like the thread about how many wins will it take. Although the off covid week and the subsequent make-ups may throw a wrench into the works, I think we are good enough to surpass the bare minimum of getting into the Tourney! In fact, at least for now, I hope we can maintain second place!

Sorry, I can't shake the dread. I'm enjoying each win, and the guys are solid. The B1G has one elite team and a bunch of teams like us. Statistically, there is no reason to think we won't win the 4-5 (?) more games needed out of the last 12, but...Collins teams have losing streaks and out BTT historical record is laughable. Right now, I'm enjoying the carnival rides, but I know that, if I spill my milkshake in the car on the way home, I'm gonna get a thrashing.

Reactions: GrandRapidsCatFan
I'm with you SE!!! No offense to the person who started it or those who responded to it, but I just don't like the thread about how many wins will it take. Although the off covid week and the subsequent make-ups may throw a wrench into the works, I think we are good enough to surpass the bare minimum of getting into the Tourney! In fact, at least for now, I hope we can maintain second place!
That would be awesome. Like 8-3 the rest of the way. It’s starts with tonight.

I'll provide a mid-week update, mainly because I want to procrastinate right now:
After two tough losses, NU down to #57.
Remaining 9 games: 7 would be Quad 1, 2 would be Quad 2. Only one (this Sunday's game against Wisconsin) is against a team below us in NET ranking. I realize that this is probably news to none of us: Tough road ahead of us, but on the bright side, lots of opportunities for quality wins.

QUAD 1 (4-4)
H #19 Rutgers - L
A #22 Indiana - W
H #25 Illinois - W
N #29 Auburn - L
A #33 Iowa - L
N #46 Liberty - W
A #47 Michigan State - W
A #71 Michigan - L

QUAD 2 (2-3)
H #36 Ohio State - L
H #58 Pittsburgh - L
H #68 Wisconsin - W
H #71 Michigan - L
A #98 Nebraska - W

QUAD 3 (0-0)

QUAD 4 (9-0)
H #164 DePaul - W
H #189 Purdue Fort Wayne - W
H #202 Brown - W
H #223 Minnesota - W
A #242 Georgetown - W
H #264 Northern Illinois - W
H #277 Chicago State - W
H #280 Prairie View A&M - W
H #282 UIC - W

I'll provide a mid-week update, mainly because I want to procrastinate right now:
After two tough losses, NU down to #57.
Remaining 9 games: 7 would be Quad 1, 2 would be Quad 2. Only one (this Sunday's game against Wisconsin) is against a team below us in NET ranking. I realize that this is probably news to none of us: Tough road ahead of us, but on the bright side, lots of opportunities for quality wins.

QUAD 1 (4-4)
H #19 Rutgers - L
A #22 Indiana - W
H #25 Illinois - W
N #29 Auburn - L
A #33 Iowa - L
N #46 Liberty - W
A #47 Michigan State - W
A #71 Michigan - L

QUAD 2 (2-3)
H #36 Ohio State - L
H #58 Pittsburgh - L
H #68 Wisconsin - W
H #71 Michigan - L
A #98 Nebraska - W

QUAD 3 (0-0)

QUAD 4 (9-0)
H #164 DePaul - W
H #189 Purdue Fort Wayne - W
H #202 Brown - W
H #223 Minnesota - W
A #242 Georgetown - W
H #264 Northern Illinois - W
H #277 Chicago State - W
H #280 Prairie View A&M - W
H #282 UIC - W
On the bright side, the home Michigan loss is a Quad 2 loss. So still no bad losses!

A tough week for NU, but the Wisconsin win brought them up to #52, which is NCAA bubble range. For resume purposes, it would be good for Liberty to stay in the top 50, Michigan to stay in the top 75, and Wisconsin to get into the top 75.

Two games this week: a Quad 1 road game at Ohio State and a Quad 1 home game against Purdue.

QUAD 1 (4-4)
H #19 Rutgers - L
A #22 Indiana - W
H #26 Illinois - W
N #30 Auburn - L
A #33 Iowa - L
A #45 Michigan State - W
N #49 Liberty - W
A #68 Michigan - L

QUAD 2 (2-3)
H #41 Ohio State - L
H #55 Pittsburgh - L
H #68 Michigan - L
A #77 Wisconsin - W
A #96 Nebraska - W

QUAD 3 (3-0)
H #77 Wisconsin - W
H #159 DePaul - W
A #236 Georgetown - W

QUAD 4 (7-0)
H #182 Brown - W
H #209 Purdue Fort Wayne - W
H #235 Minnesota - W
H #249 Northern Illinois - W
H #274 Chicago State - W
H #284 UIC - W
H #288 Prairie View A&M - W

The Michigan loss is a bad loss, I don't care what the NET rankings say.
The Michigan loss was bad because it was one of our only clear strong opportunities for a win, and we’re a bubble team who needs every single win we can get.

It’s not bad in terms of the committee looking at the end of the year and punishing NU big time for that one loss.

The Michigan game was a bad loss to me because they looked bad and played bad and the Cats were clearly just exhausted by the end of the first half. I like our chances against them come tourney time.

I don't see how the Michigan game remotely hurts our Tournament resume. It certainly does not help it, but I don't see how it hurts.

Just get to 20 wins, baby!

That game will only hurt our resume (any more than any loss does) if they drop out of the top 75 and become a Quad 3 loss.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
That game will only hurt our resume (any more than any loss does) if they drop out of the top 75 and become a Quad 3 loss.
They are 7-5 right now and looks like they have an opportunity to move up so not concerned

I can't guarantee that I will always alternate with Styre in providing an update, but after watching the win last night, I felt I just had to do it again:

Up to #49. The away win against Wisconsin is now a Quad 1, and the home win against them was bumped up to Quad 2. Only negative movement was DePaul getting downgraded to a Quad 4 win.

Styre got his wishes: Liberty still in top 50, Michigan still in top 75, and Wisconsin did move into the top 75.

Remaining schedule: 5 Quad 1 teams, 2 Quad 2 teams, with only Penn State ranked below is in NET.

QUAD 1 (6-4)
A #20 Indiana - W
H #21 Rutgers - L
H #26 Illinois - W
N #32 Auburn - L
A #35 Iowa - L
A #41 Michigan State - W
N #45 Liberty - W
A #46 Ohio State - W
A #64 Michigan - L
A #72 Wisconsin - W

QUAD 2 (2-3)
H #46 Ohio State - L
H #52 Pittsburgh - L
H #64 Michigan - L
H #72 Wisconsin - W
A #103 Nebraska - W

QUAD 3 (1-0)
A #231 Georgetown - W

QUAD 4 (8-0)
H #167 DePaul - W
H #182 Brown - W
H #210 Purdue Fort Wayne - W
H #237 Minnesota - W
H #256 Northern Illinois - W
H #278 UIC - W
H #283 Chicago State - W

I can't guarantee that I will always alternate with Styre in providing an update, but after watching the win last night, I felt I just had to do it again:

Up to #49. The away win against Wisconsin is now a Quad 1, and the home win against them was bumped up to Quad 2. Only negative movement was DePaul getting downgraded to a Quad 4 win.

Styre got his wishes: Liberty still in top 50, Michigan still in top 75, and Wisconsin did move into the top 75.

Remaining schedule: 5 Quad 1 teams, 2 Quad 2 teams, with only Penn State ranked below is in NET.

QUAD 1 (6-4)
A #20 Indiana - W
H #21 Rutgers - L
H #26 Illinois - W
N #32 Auburn - L
A #35 Iowa - L
A #41 Michigan State - W
N #45 Liberty - W
A #46 Ohio State - W
A #64 Michigan - L
A #72 Wisconsin - W

QUAD 2 (2-3)
H #46 Ohio State - L
H #52 Pittsburgh - L
H #64 Michigan - L
H #72 Wisconsin - W
A #103 Nebraska - W

QUAD 3 (1-0)
A #231 Georgetown - W

QUAD 4 (8-0)
H #167 DePaul - W
H #182 Brown - W
H #210 Purdue Fort Wayne - W
H #237 Minnesota - W
H #256 Northern Illinois - W
H #278 UIC - W
H #283 Chicago State - W
Mich likely moving up more as they are now 8-5 in conference.

QUAD 1 (6-4)
A #20 Indiana - W
H #21 Rutgers - L
H #26 Illinois - W
N #32 Auburn - L
A #35 Iowa - L
A #41 Michigan State - W
N #45 Liberty - W
A #46 Ohio State - W
A #64 Michigan - L
A #72 Wisconsin - W

QUAD 2 (2-3)