ADVERTISEMENT

2023-24 NET ratings thread

If it makes you feel better

If it makes you feel better, the team with the highest Net ranking to make the tourney is Rutgers at 77 (can’t remember the year). Also, the highest Net ranking to not make the tourney is 37 (I forget the team).
Yeah, I think I've seen those stats, and the 37 missing out combined with our dismal record away from home is what concerns me, though I'm not sure why that team at 37 was excluded. There's certainly plenty of precedent to exclude a team in the 50's though.

Rutgers at 77 was two years ago, if I recall correctly

Currently in 96 of 98 bracket matrix fields.
Of course I was curious about the two. One is just some guy who tweets and has just 602 followers. Have no idea who he is or why his tweets (which has no commentary - just a list) are included on this list. I wonder if I could get on the Bracket Matrix by doing almost nothing.

The other one is some awful website called The Sports Report, and although there is a 2/19 date on its last update, the heading says "1/30/2024" and the commentary indicates it's from three weeks ago. In other words, sloppy and/or not up to date.

I wonder how you get on the Bracket Matrix list. It's nice to see it all aggregated to get some idea of where your team is, but I bet there is a lot of just following the herd, not unlike Oscar prognostication sites.

Reactions: NUCat320
Gonzaga is NET #23 and on the bubble (11 seed now on bracket matrix).
The West Coast conference doesn't get two bids, ever. If Gonzaga does get in without winning the conference, that's exactly the kind of selection that I fear puts an NU bid in peril. Someone has to lose out if two from the WCC get in

I’m no expert, but NU would need a colossal collapse to miss the tournament. Say, lose the two road games, lose in the first round of the BTT, and win only one of the three remaining home games.

This team is too good for a collapse. Boo is too much of a talent and he and the Cats are headed for some well-earned rest.
I want to believe and yet, the last three games (without Ty) the score differential has been 4, 3, and 5.

I’m no expert, but NU would need a colossal collapse to miss the tournament. Say, lose the two road games, lose in the first round of the BTT, and win only one of the three remaining home games.

If we go 2-3 the rest of the way, we're 11-9 in a conference that "boasts" 2 teams in the Top 25.
If we then won a Big Ten tournament game, I'd put us at 50/50 to be selected.

If we can get to 12-8, I think we are likely to get into NCAA even if we lose in our first Big Ten tournament game.

Reactions: ballerog711
If we go 2-3 the rest of the way, we're 11-9 in a conference that "boasts" 2 teams in the Top 25.
If we then won a Big Ten tournament game, I'd put us at 50/50 to be selected.
Nah I think in this scenario the odds are 90/10. I think you overestimate the resumes of the rest of the field. The bubble is extremely weak this year.

After last night's games:
  • Maryland moved up (#70) despite the loss, keeping our home win as a Quad 2 W and our road game next week as a Quad 1 game.
  • Minnesota is at #76, moving them closer to the top 75. That would put the Minnesota games in the same Quads as Maryland if they make the move into the top 75.
  • Michigan State moved down to #24. Unlikely, but it would take another upset loss or two to move them out of the top 30 and pushing our home win from Quad 1 to 2.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
If NU beats on a full court pass from Martinelli to Nicholson, can we declare that the win “clinches a berth”? Or should they wait until the Iowa or Gophs home game to do that?

Iowa beating Michigan State in East Lansing helps NU in the standings, but now it means Iowa can beat good teams on the road.

Iowa at NU on 3/2.

It also means Michigan State can lose to good teams at home!

NU at Michigan State on 3/6.

Just. Win. Baby.

The cats are very solidly on the right side of the bubble. They aren’t even a very bubbly team right now. Take care of business and it’s a done deal. Slip a little and sweat, but probably stay on the good side of the bubble. Just win, baby!

Agree Adam. We all get nervous and nothing is for sure until you see the name on Selection Sunday, but all signs are pointing to NU being solidly in right now. They just can't lose a bunch of games down the stretch. Win against Michigan tomorrow and then they get a week to watch other bubble teams lose and be even more solidly in. Let's go Cats.

Reactions: zbag51
Not defending it, but only 2 B1G teams have more road wins. The whole conference is 🤮 on the road
It’s not just the B1G. When you look at some of the other power conference teams rated ahead of NU in NET you see similar - if not worse - road records. These teams are all ahead of NU in NET with the same or fewer road wins:

Xavier (55): 2-6
Virginia Tech (52): 1-7
St John’s (49): 2-6
Utah (46): 2-6
Colorado (42): 2-7
Mississippi State (41): 1-6
Oklahoma (40): 2-4
Texas (38): 3-4
Villanova (34): 3-6
Florida (29): 3-4
Texas Tech (27): 2-5
Wake Forest (26): 2-7
Kansas (17): 3-5
BYU (11): 2-5
Auburn (7): 3-4

Then there’s Nebraska, Michigan State and Wisconsin in the B1G with better NET ratings and 1, 3 and 3 road wins respectively.

If NU somehow split at Maryland and MSU they would have 4 road wins which is going to be as good or better than most teams seeded 6+ from power conferences.

The Athletic, reading tea leaves from the NCAA committee's initial seeding, says that committee seems to favor Quad 1 wins and ESPN's Strength of Record (27)/Strength of Schedule (41), all good signs for NU. The writers felt NU was in strong position to make the field but not a lock.

Iowa beating Michigan State in East Lansing helps NU in the standings, but now it means Iowa can beat good teams on the road.

Iowa at NU on 3/2.

It also means Michigan State can lose to good teams at home!

NU at Michigan State on 3/6.
Transitive rules will drive you mad mate.

Outside of the egregious Borg call at RU, I don't really think the refs had a major influence on the outcome.
Seem to recall it pretty ridiculous at Purdue - wasn’t these a slight FT disparity, one never seen before in the history of the world that led our coach to act out a little?

Minny - we were pretty bad but I recall the refs being worse especially re Boo. Was that the game Boo shot the three, got raped on both sides but no call?

Reactions: EagerFan
Agree Adam. We all get nervous and nothing is for sure until you see the name on Selection Sunday, but all signs are pointing to NU being solidly in right now. They just can't lose a bunch of games down the stretch. Win against Michigan tomorrow and then they get a week to watch other bubble teams lose and be even more solidly in. Let's go Cats.
I’m not even against over-analyzing things, it’s just that with the Indiana win the Cats are pretty solidly in a position where if they just take care of business, and it this point the business to be taken care of is pretty straightforward and highly achievable, there isn’t much to be nervous about. As Fitz would say, all their goals are right in front of them.

Reactions: IGNORE2
We are in all 100 brackets with yesterday’s update on bracketmatrix.com. Any combo of 2 more wins gets us in IMHO.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Teams from the same conference can’t face each other until the Sweet 16 if they played twice during the regular season. If you played three times (including conference tourney) you aren’t allowed to face each other until the Elite 8.
Sounds like we’re kicking Purdue’s ass to go to the final four. I can hear the whining already…

Monday opponents update after the weekend of games:
  • Our win over Rhode Island (#201) moved from Quad 3 to 4 due to URI's ugly loss to LaSalle.
  • Minnesota's loss to Nebraska pushed them down to #78, moving the road loss from Quad 1 to 2 and making the upcoming game a Quad 3 home game...for now.
  • Maryland (#67) now safely in the top 75 after crushing Rutgers in Jersey, so we have a Quad 1 opportunity on Wednesday.

After a 1-0 week, NU is pretty much in the same spot at #53. Barring any sort of horrendous collapse, NU should be in the tournament.

Rhode Island dropped from a Q3 to a Q4 win, which basically means nothing.

QUAD 1 (4-5)
H #2 Purdue - W
A #2 Purdue - L
H #17 Illinois - W
A #17 Illinois - L
H #20 Dayton - W
A #22 Wisconsin - L
H #24 Michigan State - W
N #28 Mississippi State - L
A #41 Nebraska - L

QUAD 2 (5-2)
H #41 Nebraska - W
H #66 Ohio State - W
H #67 Maryland - W
A #78 Minnesota - L
A #96 Penn State - W
A #98 Rutgers - L
A #108 Indiana - W

QUAD 3 (3-0)
H #96 Penn State - W
H #120 Michigan - W
N #126 Arizona State - W

QUAD 4 (7-1)
N #201 Rhode Island - W
H #280 Binghamton - W
H #285 Jackson State - W
H #290 Western Michigan - W
H #295 Chicago State - L
H #311 Northern Illinois - W
A #320 DePaul - W
H #359 Detroit Mercy - W

This week features a Quad 1 road game at Maryland and a Quad 2 home game against Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT