ADVERTISEMENT

21 to 3 at the half in Rose Bowl - where did we see similar number before?

The assumption would be there is another QB that produce like Haskins - He threw for 50 TD's this year. If the next man up throws for 30 TD's - that would be great - but still 20 less and thus a step back in scoring.

Next, Ryan Day can coach. The question is he as good as Urban Meyer? Simply NO ! There are not coaches that can go 83 - 9 growing on trees. Urban may get blasted for everything else - but he wins. Nobody, coaching behind him will be equal or better.

Interestingly enough Urban wasn't fired. But, every other coach was Woody Hayes and Jim Tressel - Here he may have retired a year early - but it is far better then retiring a year too late.

ND will have an opening in 2021 if not 2020 - Look for Urban to be available for consideration

I don’t know if Day will be better than Meyer, you have to say the odds are well against that, but I do think that the Buckeyes may very well be better with Day the next 5 years than if Meyer stayed the next 5 years. I think coaches peak between 39-49. That’s when they have the right combination of experience, energy, and innovation. They start to see themselves as CEO’s who develop or manage assistant coaches, they stop innovating and rely on what used to work, or they start trying to develop a legacy beyond merely x’s and o’s. Whatever the reason, they get away from the grunt work that made them successful.

They may be in a better program after 49, even win championships after 49, but that is usually because they ended up in a situation that they earned during their peak years. You look at most coaches, though there are exceptions, and their best coaching was in this time frame. I thought this last year regarding Meyer and this season didn’t change that.

I would be very surprised if he coaches again. If he waits 3-4 years he’ll be pushing 60. Not “old” but he seems to one of those who has stress that manifests as physical symptoms. That won’t change. It’s not a mental weakness on his behalf, just a physical response.

[QUOTE="klemman, post: 593197, member: 266"I think coaches peak between 39-49. That’s when they have the right combination of experience, energy, and innovation. They start to see themselves as CEO’s who develop or manage assistant coaches, they stop innovating and rely on what used to work, or they start trying to develop a legacy beyond merely x’s and o’s. .[/QUOTE]
Saban seems a lot older than 49. He is probably the exception that proves your rule.

I don’t know if Day will be better than Meyer, you have to say the odds are well against that, but I do think that the Buckeyes may very well be better with Day the next 5 years than if Meyer stayed the next 5 years. I think coaches peak between 39-49. That’s when they have the right combination of experience, energy, and innovation. They start to see themselves as CEO’s who develop or manage assistant coaches, they stop innovating and rely on what used to work, or they start trying to develop a legacy beyond merely x’s and o’s. Whatever the reason, they get away from the grunt work that made them successful.

They may be in a better program after 49, even win championships after 49, but that is usually because they ended up in a situation that they earned during their peak years. You look at most coaches, though there are exceptions, and their best coaching was in this time frame. I thought this last year regarding Meyer and this season didn’t change that.

I would be very surprised if he coaches again. If he waits 3-4 years he’ll be pushing 60. Not “old” but he seems to one of those who has stress that manifests as physical symptoms. That won’t change. It’s not a mental weakness on his behalf, just a physical response.

You must not know about Mike Hankwitz.

You must not know about Mike Hankwitz.

My theory applies to head coaches. Larry Johnson the D-line coach at OSU is as good if not better than ever in his 60’s. Assistant coaches stay in their lane of x’s and o’s. It’s head coaches who lose sight of what got them to where they are because of other responsibilities and a evolution of hat they fee their role is at the head of the organization. It’s not that they get lazy, but they distance themselves from the day to day.

There are exceptions of course. Saban and Belichick maintain their level of excellence because they don’t see their role as anything but managing x’s and o’s. It’s football and only football. Meyer used to be that way, but despite his reputation- especially those who dislike him, he hasn’t been football wins at all costs after 2014.

The good news for,you guys is that Pat Fitzgerald is peaking as a coach right now.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT