ADVERTISEMENT

6-6 is a yawner, sorry all !!!

You make it all about yourself when you can't even celebrate the small amount of success the team does have. You knew a week ago that going 6&6 was the best possible out come and having achieved the best possible out come you can't even take 24 hours to enjoy it.

You know the challenges NU has being a private school with high academic standards play in a P5 conference. Take it or leave it.

So it's about me because it's about me. Nice logic.

I truly believe that IF (and I know it's a big IF and I know other team have injuries too) we have a healthy Watkins, Harris, Park, Mertz and Long - we are playing in Indy for the championship. I think the injuries on the OL and CB were just too much for us to overcome. That being said I was pleasantly surprised by the play of Hartage and Williams - in my mind those two newbies thrust into the starting role are the reasons we were able to salvage the season and make a bowl game. Kudos also to JB Butler who played his ass off on the OL. Ultimately, The lack of depth on the OL killed us. Here's hoping the likes of Vogel, Meyler, Oxley, etc step up and make a difference next year.

6-6 is .500

Average

Other teams have the bumps and bruises too.

I hope I am wrong, but Fitz has been here 10 (or is it 11) years now. Not one Big Ten championship.

Barnett and Walker already had achieved this.

Main stumbling block holdings us back is coaching and development.

The fact is other staffs - like Ohio State or Michigan - have better football coaching staffs. Fitz won't hold these gents accountable - like the O line coach - so don't expect anything different.

Hmmm. Sounds a lot like Wooderson posting under yet another name. Yawwwwn.

I do, but the question begins to be raised, if he doesn't win one soon do we move on? We gave Carmody a ton of time too, and he didn't get us to the next level. At what point do we say he's been given enough time. Northwestern should be about championships. We haven't even made it to Indy yet.

Pat's had 11 years. I give him 2 more, same as Carmody. If he doesn't at least win the West by the end of the 2018 season, or have by far the best recruiting class in the school history with the opening of the Taj Fitz, I say move on.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Pat's had 11 years. I give him 2 more, same as Carmody. If he doesn't at least win the West by the end of the 2018 season, or have by far the best recruiting class in the school history with the opening of the Taj Fitz, I say move on.

You're giving him two more years? Really? Wow, that makes my day. So glad to know it.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Complex question with multiple "realities" and contexts here.

Am I happy with 6-6 and a minor bowl game? No. Am I happy with that after we started 0-2, lost to an FCS team, and faced the possibility of Iowa, Michigan State (then 2-0 -- we didn't know they were about to fall apart), and Ohio State on the road? Hell yes.

Is Fitz in jeopardy running a clean, competitive program for 11 years? No, of course not. Should he look at his staff and his program more closely after pledging championships (plural) and having 3 non-winning seasons in 4, all while we're taking our infrastructure to new heights? -- Absolutely. We're not close to winning a Big Ten championship, and probably missed our best shot in awhile to win a division championship. Do we have the talent to make the leap forward -- ehhhh, I don't know about that.

On August 27, I'd have been disappointed with 6-6. By Sept 16, I would have been ecstatic. Rough non-con year, solid Big Ten season. I think it's important to put together a strong performance in the bowl game. We need to establish that our disappointing seasons are 7 wins.

As a former Northwestern athlete who's been around since 1980 I can tell you Fitz is doing an amazing job. He is an exceptional coach and we are doing very well I'm very excited about next year I think next year we'll definitely be 9 or 10 wins season

I want Fitz to have the job until 2017 Butkus winner and Big Ten champion Anthony Walker (or Thorpe winner Godwin Igwebuike or Doak Walker winner Justin Jackson) is ready to take over.

This puts him on pace for retirement in ~20-25 years.

The floor is higher than it's ever been at Northwestern, and, frankly, that's at least as important to me as the ceiling. This would be different if my life were still planned around NU football, but that's probably not the case until Coach JJ takes the reigns.

To what end? Both records suck. And no matter where we go, it's an Every Kid Gets a Trophy Toilet Bowl that shouldn't even exist but for a naked money grab by some committee of bowl scum.

We're supposed to be mollified by that? No. I don't think so.

Silly me for believing we were supposed to be contending for and winning titles at this point, rather than milking the foundation inherited from Barnett and Walker for better than a decade without being able to improve upon on it.

Yes, but most people would acknowledge that 6-6 and a bowl game is a helluva lot better than 2-10 and staying at home. Fitz is winning at a higher rate than Walker.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
2-10. 6-6. What's the difference? Both suck. Be happy with this if you want.

I see yet another season of zero substantial progress as a program. I'd call it treading water but it's not even that good ...
Didn't you complain bitterly that we got dismantled in our three losses last year? Progress on that this year, bowl pending

What you fail to realize - despite the fact that you seem to think you know everything - is that unlike some people around here, I have another place to cheer and support the Cats on Central Street and, unlike them, I actually spend time there.

They, in contract, spend all of their time on a message board. If I were in their shoes (and I thank my lucky stars I am not), I'd be hyper-positive here too if it was all I had or did. Fortunately for me, I get to do my NU rah-rah in person. I don't need to do it here to try to prove to people I don't know how much of an NU fan I am.

You're trying to play the "I go to games" card? That doesn't exactly set you apart around here.

Reactions: StreamCat
Yes, but most people would acknowledge that 6-6 and a bowl game is a helluva lot better than 2-10 and staying at home. Fitz is winning at a higher rate than Walker.

I acknowledge that it's better. But it's not a helluva lot better. It's negligibly better - and still nowhere near the goal. Tallest midget is not meaningful, to my way of thinking.

Didn't you complain bitterly that we got dismantled in our three losses last year? Progress on that this year, bowl pending

Bitterly? No. Vehemently? Yes.

Now we're proud that we didn't get blow out multiple times?

Is that the new standard for satisfaction?

C'mon guys, if you're going to rationalize and justify mediocrity, you gotta do a little better than that...

Reactions: IGNORE2
Bitterly? No. Vehemently? Yes.

Now we're proud that we didn't get blow out multiple times?

Is that the new standard for satisfaction?

C'mon guys, if you're going to rationalize and justify mediocrity, you gotta do a little better than that...
Wooderson: I don't know if you are the same poster who repeatedly posted our Big Ten wins. While the act got tiresome, I actually thought there was something to chew on. It would seem worthwhile to revisit. That poster's point was, if memory serves, Coach Barnett took us from the dark ages to 2 Big Ten championships and put us on the map. (0-8 to conclude his tenure). Coach Randy Walker came in, won a Big Ten championship and brought stability, an innovative offense and a measure of sustained success before his untimely passing. So, the mantle was thrust onto Coach Fitz...and a foundation had been built that suggested we should expect more from Fitzgerald.

Coach Randy Walker went 24-32 in his NU Big Ten games. By any previous measure, he scores well.
Coach Fitz has coached 33 more Big Ten games than Coach Walker. He has matched Coach Walker's record...and then added to that a 17-16 mark. Given that all that goes into the sauce of Northwestern football, I am pleased with a Big Ten record of 41-48. In the last ten years, we have had only 1 season with less than 3 Big Ten wins. That is a level of stability that is remarkable.

As I look at the Big Ten landscape, as a program we are clearly behind MSU, OSU, UM, PSU, UW, Nebraska. Iowa ranks ahead of us...but perhaps not demonstrably. Minnesota is solid competition. On the flip side, I count 5 programs that are in worse shape: Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Maryland and Rutgers.

I hope the assistant coaching staff is shaken up a bit this year...and I hope Coach Fitz continues to improve. But, I am going to celebrate this year...and every year where our student-athletes represent our school so well. (I am looking at you Brian Kelly.)

I hope the assistant staff is shaken up a lot. These guys have had their more than a fair chance and they've accomplished nothing. Time for change.

Fitz stays. I don't know how many times I have to say that. This is about the assistants and upping the talent pool. We've seen everything we're ever going to see from this staff and it's simply not good enough.

6-6 yields an opportunity to move to 7-6.

2-10 does not.

Don't be the fan who's only happy when s/he's miserable. I mean...do whatever you want, but at some point you have to ask yourself why you even bother, and this is coming from me - a generally negative fan. We won today...doubled up on our rival...even covered the spread - decisively handled our business which is never a sure thing in rivalry week (ask UNC, Louisville, Georgia, Ole Miss, and so on).

I'm still a strong and vocal advocate for coaching changes, and I will be regardless of the outcome of the bowl game (yet I suspect there will be no changes regardless of the outcome of the bowl game)...but gotta be able to enjoy a win when it comes our way...or why bother?
Yesterday's game showed me:

1. Moten is the real thing. AA won't see the field absent injury unless...

2. AW is gone. He has regained his old form and seen many teammates retire. I would bet the house again that he goes to the draft so...

3. Our LB corp is depleted. I know we usually see RB convert to DB, but anyone think AA could convert to strong side LB?

4. The WR corp still is very bad. Carr looked like he was a bit under the weather still. But between drops and coverage sacks, I remain firmly in the Springer goes camp.

5. The OL was also terrible. Only able to clear holes for running against the worst run D around, the OL also shows no improvement. I remain firmly in the Cushing goes camp.

6. CT, JJTBC deserve better supporting cast. I do think CT has developed yet not hit his ceiling.

7. Reasons to fear 2017: WR, OL - nothing changes as NU doesn't change coaches, LB, DB are super thin and we get hurt every year so Mike has an excuse to accept mediocracy.

8. The bowl game is very important to me. I dont care where we go, I just want a legit opponent in line with IA / WI level talent. If we win, it would show true improvement. If we play close, shows continued mediocracy and a long offseason of debates here. If we get blown out, then I hope every NU FB fan lines up to demand changes in the coaching against threats to withhold donations, attend games, whatever it takes.

As I look at the Big Ten landscape, as a program we are clearly behind MSU, OSU, UM, PSU, UW, Nebraska. Iowa ranks ahead of us...but perhaps not demonstrably. Minnesota is solid competition. On the flip side, I count 5 programs that are in worse shape: Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Maryland and Rutgers.

Great post, Dugan. I thought of the same thing. Fitz has built a degree of consistency, with that 1-7 blip a few years ago as a frustrating exception. (No bad luck discussion - you are what your record says you are.)

Frankly, I think the hierarchy as you lay it out is both a) accurate , and b) "about right". Nebraska has tumbled from its peak, but it had a looooong peak and will be tough to pass. Wisconsin has few structural advantages over NU (that is, not a talent-rich state) but has been a top 20 program going on 25 years now and seems to have weathered recent coaching instability.

So, I would say that NU's measuring sticks are a) how consistently we stay above Minnesota and Iowa (0 for 2 this year) and b) how consistently we contend for the division.

On those counts, this season was a failure. But last season saw both contention and a position ahead of the Gophs (though behind the Hawks).

I think what we deserved is rather 8-4, not 6-6. Or even 7-5.

I deserve to be 6'6" and play for the Bulls with a game changing jump shot. What I am is a slow 6' white guy that can't jump and works in an office.

They are what their record says they are.

Yesterday's game showed me:

1. Moten is the real thing. AA won't see the field absent injury unless...

2. AW is gone. He has regained his old form and seen many teammates retire. I would bet the house again that he goes to the draft so...

3. Our LB corp is depleted. I know we usually see RB convert to DB, but anyone think AA could convert to strong side LB?

4. The WR corp still is very bad. Carr looked like he was a bit under the weather still. But between drops and coverage sacks, I remain firmly in the Springer goes camp.

5. The OL was also terrible. Only able to clear holes for running against the worst run D around, the OL also shows no improvement. I remain firmly in the Cushing goes camp.

6. CT, JJTBC deserve better supporting cast. I do think CT has developed yet not hit his ceiling.

7. Reasons to fear 2017: WR, OL - nothing changes as NU doesn't change coaches, LB, DB are super thin and we get hurt every year so Mike has an excuse to accept mediocracy.

8. The bowl game is very important to me. I dont care where we go, I just want a legit opponent in line with IA / WI level talent. If we win, it would show true improvement. If we play close, shows continued mediocracy and a long offseason of debates here. If we get blown out, then I hope every NU FB fan lines up to demand changes in the coaching against threats to withhold donations, attend games, whatever it takes.

Austin Anderson is 5-9 180 on a good day. You don't seriously think he could play OLB, do you?

OL - nothing changes as
Watching senior day ceremonies and seeing Shane Mertz and Ian Park walk onto the field in civvies without playing a down this year, I thought that probably had a little to do with the OL inconsistency this season. Experience and maturity and continuity are really important for that position. This was a patchwork quilt all year and yet we just ran for over 300 yards vs. Illinois. So they must have been doing something right.

You know the challenges NU has being a private school with high academic standards play in a P5 conference. Take it or leave it.

Like Stanford, ND, Berkley, Duke BB - vrappy city of Chicago - horrible campus. Apologist attitude. While none of these are Alabama (though Duke BB may be), they all become relevant in FB and BB every few years despite the fact they have all retained their great academic reputations and long lines of applicants.

Reactions: WoodersonCat
Me too!!! I don't know why we even respond to these assholes. This Board has become semi-ridiculous. Most of the old-time favorites, such as Alan Smithee, uber, and GOUNUII rarely post anymore. Turk and shakes have been driven off by the official and unofficial Board Police, many of whom never go to a game.

Reactions: WoodersonCat
Austin Anderson is 5-9 180 on a good day. You don't seriously think he could play OLB, do you?

On my phone and dont know his measurables. But i do know:

1. Shallow at LB and DB so shifting a S to LB robs Peter to pay Paul.

2. AA is on the outside looking in. Has to be a way to help him find the two deep. Is there no record of 5'9" at OLB? If he is still 180, then he seemingly cannot find the training table nor the weight room - maybe get him a map?

3. What alternatives do you see to fill the depth concerns the defensive backfield?

I acknowledge that it's better. But it's not a helluva lot better. It's negligibly better - and still nowhere near the goal. Tallest midget is not meaningful, to my way of thinking.

So a .500 won-loss record (plus the bowl game) is not a helluva lot better than .167? So next time I see a holiday sale at a store, I should jump at the 15 percent off sale rather than the 50 percent off. Whatever, brother.

Woolly Woodpecker lives to pee in the punchbowl. Because enjoying a win over our in-state rivals and punching a ticket to a bowl game is too Pollyanna-ish.

Hurray for mediocracy! Trophies and raises for everyone! Hurray for multiple championships...in the classroom! Hurray because Im a nerd that cant catch or throw a football and these guys can and they also go to NU! Hurray ro everything! More koolaid please :]

2. AA is on the outside looking in. Has to be a way to help him find the two deep. Is there no record of 5'9" at OLB? If he is still 180, then he seemingly cannot find the training table nor the weight room - maybe get him a map?

Good idea, get him into the weight room to grow 6 inches.....you can't just say "My bad, I didn't realize he was that small, not a great idea."?

Like Stanford, ND, Berkley, Duke BB - vrappy city of Chicago - horrible campus. Apologist attitude. While none of these are Alabama (though Duke BB may be), they all become relevant in FB and BB every few years despite the fact they have all retained their great academic reputations and long lines of applicants.

So... pretty similar to NU?

So a .500 won-loss record (plus the bowl game) is not a helluva lot better than .167? So next time I see a holiday sale at a store, I should jump at the 15 percent off sale rather than the 50 percent off. Whatever, brother.

So either percentage would be graded as anything other than failure in any NU classroom ...except here on the grass. What adjunct class in reporting do you teach that getting the story right half the time is commendable...as long as they try hard?

On my phone and dont know his measurables. But i do know:

1. Shallow at LB and DB so shifting a S to LB robs Peter to pay Paul.

3. What alternatives do you see to fill the depth concerns the defensive backfield?

Zero chance Anderson ends up at OLB. Zero. If you're really looking for a RB to move to LB, Long is your guy.

I don't actually think we are all that shallow at DB, just inexperienced. LB is more of an issue, where we are potentially both shallow and inexperienced.

Good idea, get him into the weight room to grow 6 inches.....you can't just say "My bad, I didn't realize he was that small, not a great idea."?

Think I did, nice job cutting the quote though. Do you work for Fox or MSNBC? I said that im on my phone in FL and don't know his measurables. Also why I haven't researched the height of all the NFL LBs to see if 6' is a requisite.

But attack me because that answers the questions about lack of depth at LB and lack of PT for AA. Good job jersey.

So either percentage would be graded as anything other than failure in any NU classroom ...except here on the grass. What adjunct class in reporting do you teach that getting the story right half the time is commendable...as long as they try hard?

I just said that a .500 record is a helluva lot better than .167, which it indisputably is. What class do you teach where facts don't matter?

So... pretty similar to NU?

Minus the relevance in sports regularly. Should we start comparing athletic records over the 11 years between these schools including conference standings and post season records and rankings?

Zero chance Anderson ends up at OLB. Zero. If you're really looking for a RB to move to LB, Long is your guy.

I don't actually think we are all that shallow at DB, just inexperienced. LB is more of an issue, where we are potentially both shallow and inexperienced.

Not going to disagree about AA - I truly don't know. But I'm glad that you will disagree about injuries playing a hand next year if the DBs fall short.

Now,as for the LBs, where are we going to find that depth?

I just said that a .500 record is a helluva lot better than .167, which it indisputably is. What class do you teach where facts don't matter?

One where it takes .700 to simy pass and excellence begins at .900. Maybe you should become a baseball fan.

Minus the relevance in sports regularly. Should we start comparing athletic records over the 11 years between these schools including conference standings and post season records and rankings?

What's your definition of "relevant?" Because, with the exception of Stanford football and Duke basketball (which I don't really care about; this is a football board after all), I suspect we would actually line up pretty darn well in your comparison.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT