ADVERTISEMENT

About our New Seating: The Price is Very Reasonable

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
a few have said that many of our seats are more expensive than some NBA teams and mirror some of the more expensive NCAA teams. Others have said that the program let down long tenured fans who now won't be able to get their seats because they won't be front in line.

However, when I look at the product and not my entitlements or any other fan entitlements, I think the product makes the price very reasonable. We don't have any entitlements anyways, why should we other than those who have supported this program by being a season ticket holder or other contribution? I think they recognized season ticket holders and they have a place in line.

Getting back to the product. With Doug Collins coming back home, I think that tells all of us that Chris is here to stay for a very very long time. And the NU admin delivered on what appears to be the absolute best, most state of the art arena in the nation. All I can say is WOW. This program has been built into a winner in just a few years. Almost inexplainable and amazing that Collins could get the best basketball players in the nation to sign on. It's only going to get better.

Every seat in the new W/R is going to be awesome. The prices are as low as $350. Don't pull any FloridAlums and complain about "Free Drinks". Nothing will be free. Man up.

And the NU admin delivered on what appears to be the absolute best, most state of the art arena in the nation. All I can say is WOW.

Time will tell. Most state of the art in the nation? That's quite a leap of faith. I think it will be an intimate arena, hopefully it can be the home court advantage Cameron Indoor or Kohl Center are....

Time will tell. Most state of the art in the nation? That's quite a leap of faith. I think it will be an intimate arena, hopefully it can be the home court advantage Cameron Indoor or Kohl Center are....
Doesn't the Kohl Center seat between 16,000 and 18,000? Just asking.

Besides supporting the school, for those who may only attend 5-10 games during the season does it make sense to buy season tickets -- purchasing in secondary market at a premium? You avoid the donation and only purchase those games you know you can/ want to attend. Further, if those games happen to be non-conference you should be way ahead

Besides supporting the school, for those who may only attend 5-10 games during the season does it make sense to buy season tickets -- purchasing in secondary market at a premium? You avoid the donation and only purchase those games you know you can/ want to attend. Further, if those games happen to be non-conference you should be way ahead
But the availability of single game tickets and those available on the secondary market will be drastically cut by the lack of available seats in the new W-R. after the season tickets holder, maybe around three or four thousand, 1,000 students and a 1,000 in the hands of scalpers there might be close to a thousand available for a given game. It's to bad the administration has decided to downsize it's arena, at the time when NU looks to be playing like the big boys on the court. Ah, the good old days when NU played the likes of Kansas, ND and Kentucky in front of 10,000 in McGaw Hall.

Yeah, bring back the splintered bleachers and the dirt track. Those were the good old days.
Now wouldn't you just love to see 10,000 Wildcat fans celebrating and victory over Kentucky, dust and splinters be dammed. Be honest now.

This is nu. Most games you will be able to walk up and get a ticket for $10. Maybe $50 for msu.
Not so sure, Wicker. As we string together a succession of NCAA appearances - and we certainly appear to be solidly heading in that direction - I don't think you'll be finding any conference games (save for maybe Rutgers;)) going for $10.

Last edited:

I had NBA season tickets for a number of years and really didn't have the time to attend 41 home games per year. Consequently, I typically partnered with a bunch of friends and we'd split the season tickets, each going to 5 or 10 games per year. As a result, the seats were used every night and nobody had to deal with the wasting the money of purchasing an entire season when they're only interested in a few games.

Not so sure, Wicker. As we string together a succession of NCAA appearances - and we certainly appear to be solidly heading in that direction - I don't think you'll be finding any conference games (save for maybe Rutgers;)) going for $10.
Also the limiting seating in the new W-R will result in fewer tickets being available. Guess they could move the Big Ten games to the UC, or Rosemont, or the new DePaul arena,

Also the limiting seating in the new W-R will result in fewer tickets being available. Guess they could move the Big Ten games to the UC, or Rosemont, or the new DePaul arena,
The UC blows for basketball, Willy. There are seats (and not just a few) that are literally a city block away from midcourt. The 300 Level is a short helicopter ride from the floor. Think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the new arena, Willy.

There will be plenty of seats available in the new Welsh Ryan for those who actually want to invest time and money to show up. The worst seats in WR 2.0 will be the equivalent of last row seats in the 100 level at the UC.

Reactions: Mr Wickerpark
Maybe I am in the minority, but as a fan, I would want to attend all of the games I could----even the "laughers". In football I much prefer the conference games, but still enjoy the noncon games.

Maybe I am in the minority, but as a fan, I would want to attend all of the games I could----even the "laughers". In football I much prefer the conference games, but still enjoy the noncon games.

Football is a different animal because of tailgating. We have plenty of folks who don't even go into the laugher games. They hang around outside, drink.beer and watch BTN on a generator.

I have been a season ticket holder for over 20 years. I sit on the benches near the visitors bench. I have 6 seats. To keep comparable seats it would cost me $9,500 PER YEAR ! This includes a mandatory $6,500 PER YEAR donation to the Athletic program, which gives me the right to buy 6 season tickets at $500 per ticket. I certainly do not view this as reasonable. What do other long time season ticket holders think? While I have no objection to a one time seat license and an increase in the ticket price, the plan they have rolled out is a slap in the face to those of us who have been loyal supporters for many years.

Reactions: 2388bb
Agree it "feels" like a slap in the face...and ponying up that money guarantees you nothing. Nothing in 2018-19, and there's nothing stopping them from reassigning your seat location afterward. I understand the economics of it, and if people are willing to pay this kind of money, it makes business sense. I'm not convinced sales will turn out so well as lot of long-time supporters will turn their backs to the program. Just because they tell everyone demand exceeds supply doesn't mean that's how things will play out.

The reality of it is NU basketball doesn't owe me anything and vice versa. Season tix gives you this sense of entitlement, but we always knew they could jack up the price as soon as things improved--with or without a renovated arena. I had a fun, inexpensive time for years...now it's time to find something new to pass the time in the winter, maybe I'll try skiing or just sit at home and play with my lucky charms.

Agree it "feels" like a slap in the face...and ponying up that money guarantees you nothing. Nothing in 2018-19, and there's nothing stopping them from reassigning your seat location afterward. I understand the economics of it, and if people are willing to pay this kind of money, it makes business sense. I'm not convinced sales will turn out so well as lot of long-time supporters will turn their backs to the program. Just because they tell everyone demand exceeds supply doesn't mean that's how things will play out.

The reality of it is NU basketball doesn't owe me anything and vice versa. Season tix gives you this sense of entitlement, but we always knew they could jack up the price as soon as things improved--with or without a renovated arena. I had a fun, inexpensive time for years...now it's time to find something new to pass the time in the winter, maybe I'll try skiing or just sit at home and play with my lucky charms.
This gouging sounds a lot like the give me lots of cash and I'll give you a west lot parking pass scheme. Maybe it would have made sense charging these high fees for premium or courtside seats but only if they had made another two or three thousand more seats available at reasonable per game price. Lots of empty spots in the west lot, last season and again this one. It could happen in basketball as well.

Reactions: 2388bb
The pricing I was writing about is the 2018/19 pricing at Welsh Ryan, not 2017/18 at Allstate.

The pricing I was writing about is the 2018/19 pricing at Welsh Ryan, not 2017/18 at Allstate.
I realized that. Sorry I wasn't clear. No problem getting in to see the Cats in Rosemont, since it seats around 15,000, right?

This gouging sounds a lot like the give me lots of cash and I'll give you a west lot parking pass scheme. Maybe it would have made sense charging these high fees for premium or courtside seats but only if they had made another two or three thousand more seats available at reasonable per game price. Lots of empty spots in the west lot, last season and again this one. It could happen in basketball as well.

Lots of empty spots doesn't mean those passes weren't paid for (along with donations). The entire West Lot quota was sold out for this season, so it makes no financial difference to the program whether or not people actually use those passes.

This is big time athletics now. I'm sure it's this way all around the BIG. I've had first row seating in the lower bowl since '83, but I will have to move to another lower bowl section which requires 600-dollar donation per year (and that covers football parking too). Prime seats for most events now have gotten VERY EXPENSIVE and like Turk says, NU is a relative bargain even with the new price structure. We are all spoiled because football and basketball prices have long been the lowest in the league.

I have been a season ticket holder for over 20 years. I sit on the benches near the visitors bench. I have 6 seats. To keep comparable seats it would cost me $9,500 PER YEAR ! This includes a mandatory $6,500 PER YEAR donation to the Athletic program, which gives me the right to buy 6 season tickets at $500 per ticket. I certainly do not view this as reasonable. What do other long time season ticket holders think? While I have no objection to a one time seat license and an increase in the ticket price, the plan they have rolled out is a slap in the face to those of us who have been loyal supporters for many years.
At least it helps you with FB parking

You still have a right to be loyal. This year may test how loyal you are.

I thought they made it clear that any donation to this fund is separate from the whole parking lot donations? No 2 for 1. Only at McDonalds during January.

The seat donations go to the Excellence Fund and definitely DO count towards FB parking.

Reactions: ubercat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT