ADVERTISEMENT

Accept it

WildAboutThePurple

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2018
Guys, we simply dont have the size, talent, or coaching that these other big ten teams posses. All you have to do is sit courtside to the see the difference in physicalty. Our offense is absolutely atrocious and has no rythem. The other team passes the ball around on our defense like they are going through a walk thru.
Except it for it is. We are bad. We have been way worse in the past, but that doesnt matter. We are terrible at both ends of the court and are extremely undisciplined. The fault lies in many areas. Starting right at the top.

I'm not sure how you can say that after watching tonight's game. A nationally ranked team undefeated in conference and even with our craptastic shooting, we were right there with them in the last minute of the game.

Oh wait, that's right, you're a reroll troll. nm

I'm not sure how you can say that after watching tonight's game. A nationally ranked team undefeated in conference and even with our craptastic shooting, we were right there with them in the last minute of the game.

Oh wait, that's right, you're a reroll troll. nm
If Mac was on, we win by ten!

Guys, we simply dont have the size, talent, or coaching that these other big ten teams posses. All you have to do is sit courtside to the see the difference in physicalty. Our offense is absolutely atrocious and has no rythem. The other team passes the ball around on our defense like they are going through a walk thru.
Except it for it is. We are bad. We have been way worse in the past, but that doesnt matter. We are terrible at both ends of the court and are extremely undisciplined. The fault lies in many areas. Starting right at the top.
Well what do you think of the size, talent and coaches at Rutgers, Io-a and Illinois? Now go back to cheering for Holy Cross.

The issue is that our top three players are inconsistent: McIntosh scored 2 points in the first half and after getting one of his shots rejected he did not attempt another shot. You can not have your captain four year starter at PG meekly step aside v. the No. 1 or 2 team in the Big 10. Lindsey could have dunked on 6’0” Andrew Dakich and he tried a layup where Dakich is sitting under him and he missed a bunny. Then Dakich stripper Lindsey on a wraparound reach in with 2 minutes left in the game. Law has been consistent, but he has never learned to create his shot off the dribble and missed layups also. He has played with fire and intensity as has Pardon.

As for the bench, NU was counting on Rap, Falzon and Gaines to collectively make up for the loss of Lumpkin and Tap. Has not happened due to injuries and slow rehab of Rap and Falzon. Gaines has played like a freshman until the past couple of games where he is making big strides.

Lastly, Brown and Benson are not given consistent minutes to develop their games. Brown was huge last year against athletic teams like OSU and this season Collins has lost a potential playmaker because Ash tries hard in practice. That does not cut it in the Big 10. You play your playmakers and size mismatch guys like Benson. Potter and Wesson abused us on the boards because Pardon was our only big who can match up physically. You can not play against the top tier Big 10 schools like PU, OSU, MSU, etc. with only one guy 6’8” or taller.

The minutes given to Ash stagnate the offense as he is NOT a PG and does not set up the offense well and is not a SG because he can’t hit open shots. He needs to be the guy riding the bench and not Isiah Brown. But I guess he practices hard and the staff likes that even though we are struggling to break 50 points when JA is out there.

Well what do you think of the size, talent and coaches at Rutgers, Io-a and Illinois? Now go back to cheering for Holy Cross.

Do they have fans? They're currently sitting at 5-13 and in last place in the Patriot league.

This is not the way to start a productive message board thread.

The issue is that our top three players are inconsistent: McIntosh scored 2 points in the first half and after getting one of his shots rejected he did not attempt another shot. You can not have your captain four year starter at PG meekly step aside v. the No. 1 or 2 team in the Big 10. Lindsey could have dunked on 6’0” Andrew Dakich and he tried a layup where Dakich is sitting under him and he missed a bunny. Then Dakich stripper Lindsey on a wraparound reach in with 2 minutes left in the game. Law has been consistent, but he has never learned to create his shot off the dribble and missed layups also. He has played with fire and intensity as has Pardon.

As for the bench, NU was counting on Rap, Falzon and Gaines to collectively make up for the loss of Lumpkin and Tap. Has not happened due to injuries and slow rehab of Rap and Falzon. Gaines has played like a freshman until the past couple of games where he is making big strides.

Lastly, Brown and Benson are not given consistent minutes to develop their games. Brown was huge last year against athletic teams like OSU and this season Collins has lost a potential playmaker because Ash tries hard in practice. That does not cut it in the Big 10. You play your playmakers and size mismatch guys like Benson. Potter and Wesson abused us on the boards because Pardon was our only big who can match up physically. You can not play against the top tier Big 10 schools like PU, OSU, MSU, etc. with only one guy 6’8” or taller.

The minutes given to Ash stagnate the offense as he is NOT a PG and does not set up the offense well and is not a SG because he can’t hit open shots. He needs to be the guy riding the bench and not Isiah Brown. But I guess he practices hard and the staff likes that even though we are struggling to break 50 points when JA is out there.
We need Brown. He is fast and a good shooter. I wish he played instead of Mac yesterday

Funny, but these same guys without the size, talent or coaching that other Big Ten teams possess won 24 games last year, including 10 in the Big Ten, two in the Big Ten tournament and one in the NCAAs.

And, after an atrocious first half, NU actually outscored Ohio State 40-38 in the second half last night, whittling a 15-point deficit to 3 in the closing minute.

I agree that NU's execution and discipline have been generally awful this year, particularly on the offensive end, and they've been frustratingly inconsistent. But you're simplistic generalizations about size, talent and coaching are laughable.

We need Brown. He is fast and a good shooter. I wish he played instead of Mac yesterday
His numbers do not justify replacing BMac. BMac averages about 2.5 assists per TO while Brown is about 1.3 (and not enough assists) Also foul prone. Not saying he could not spell BMac but it likely boils down to Ash or him for those limited minutes and coaches likely feel Ash probably brings a little more to the table. Ash is big enough he can add to length against bigger teams which Brown cannot. With Better D, Gaines is also moving to take minutes from both as long as BMac is on the floor. Brown can likely only spell BMac and those minutes are pretty limited in a game like last night. To get minutes, he likely has to show he is enough better at the point than Ash and so far, not sure he has done that.

Last edited:
These are some dark times when we have to be talking about 15 pt deficits in the 2nd half and being optimistic just because we cut it to 3. We are not very good right now clearly. At least we can turn on “the play” after every loss and relive that moment again. Man, how far we have fallen since then. As I said before, and have done for the last 30 years, I will support the team till the end of the season.

McIntosh should not be playing 38 minutes of the 40 available minutes as he did versus OSU. His legs were not there in the second half because of exhaustion or maybe his left leg is not 100 percent after the Brown U. player rolled over on it three weeks ago. My post was intending to point out that Brown should be the first PG off the bench over Ash who is not a PG and causes our offense to stagnate when he is in there and he should play a couple of minutes for McIntosh.

Reactions: EagerFan
McIntosh should not be playing 38 minutes of the 40 available minutes as he did versus OSU. His legs were not there in the second half because of exhaustion or maybe his left leg is not 100 percent after the Brown U. player rolled over on it three weeks ago. My post was intending to point out that Brown should be the first PG off the bench over Ash who is not a PG and causes our offense to stagnate when he is in there and he should play a couple of minutes for McIntosh.
Walker fan, I proposed a two guard lineup. Brown gets twenty minutes a game. Mac was 4-14 with two turnovers,plus, he got burned on several threes. We are in agreement that Brown needs more time.

Funny, but these same guys without the size, talent or coaching that other Big Ten teams possess won 24 games last year, including 10 in the Big Ten, two in the Big Ten tournament and one in the NCAAs.

And, after an atrocious first half, NU actually outscored Ohio State 40-38 in the second half last night, whittling a 15-point deficit to 3 in the closing minute.

I agree that NU's execution and discipline have been generally awful this year, particularly on the offensive end, and they've been frustratingly inconsistent. But you're simplistic generalizations about size, talent and coaching are laughable.

Lou, admittedly i don’t follow NU basketball as close as I do football. Given this, I wonder how much of the issues with this year’s team can be attributed to Pat Baldwin’s departure? It seems like an awfully big coincidence that this year’s team, with essentially the same core as last year, seems to be underachieving so much when last year’s team seemed to get the most out of its talent.

These are some dark times when we have to be talking about 15 pt deficits in the 2nd half and being optimistic just because we cut it to 3. We are not very good right now clearly. At least we can turn on “the play” after every loss and relive that moment again. Man, how far we have fallen since then. As I said before, and have done for the last 30 years, I will support the team till the end of the season.

OK, Purp.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT