ADVERTISEMENT

Adam DePietro

loyolacat

Gold Member
Oct 21, 2006
His tweets during the game were more than interesting. I could not figure out how to copy them from email. BUt basically it was that the NU fan base was a joke and the players are working hard but have to work hard against the program as well. He seemed to be sitting in the NU season ticket holders section surrounded by WIsconsin fans. As much as it is not the only factor I believe it has to have emphasis on recruiting. He is at Adam D @DePietro73 If you remember AD was an offensive line man at NU very recently.

He is right.

He is right about the fan support but wrong about it impacting the result of the game. No amount of fan support would have changed the fact that NU's OL got whipped at the line of scrimmage today. Just a bunch of excuses. If his comments are representative of how the current players feel, then I can see why we have problems getting over the hump for big games.

Reactions: IGNORE2

Pleasseeeeee! How about the team beats a MAC team and ISU to generate a buzz.

I go to every game and never set foot on NU's campus. I scream and get pissed at the results, but am sick and tired of he fans getting blamed for the lack of progress due to the "culture". News flash, NU is a small school. There are more alumni in Chicagoland for most every other B1G school than NU. Common sense tells this non NU grad that you have to attract the local fan to supplement your fan base. This happens how? Maybe consistently show up on the field. You don't have to win every game, but Chicago fans will show up to support a gritty team that consistently competes to their abilities.

Instead of the group beating of the fan base, perhaps the energy should be directed at suggestions to attract new fans. That usually starts with improving the product.

He is right about the fan support but wrong about it impacting the result of the game. No amount of fan support would have changed the fact that NU's OL got whipped at the line of scrimmage today. Just a bunch of excuses. If his comments are representative of how the current players feel, then I can see why we have problems getting over the hump for big games.
I don't blame in or any of our past players for stating the obvious. I couldn't make todays game because of a bad back but when I saw on TV that the center west stands tons of red, I almost turned it off. Agree that both lines were getting beat all day but first that can only be corrected by recruiting and signing major conference like coaches. Sure winning helps put a few extra thousand fannies in the seats but the administration and alumni need to act like this is a major program. Sick and tired of hearing that NU can't afford better, more expensive coaches or they can't make Ryan Field a destination, which is total b.s.. Do something like put all of the cash from the BTN into the football and basketball programs, increase the size of the marching band to a respectable 200 plus, do something with Walker Terrace, which sadly is just an eyesore now, encourage restaurant and bar groups from the city and suburbs to attend games by making bus service available and maybe food and beverage perks, get the CTA to run express trains from Chicago on game days, play more night games and stop with the 11AM kickoff, hell sell beer, like Minnesota does. Continue doing the same and the product both on and off the field will sink to MAC League proportions. I can't get anyone interested in attending games and will likely cut my season tickets in half next season and haven't attended an away game in quite a few years. Do something/anything or the "Dark Ages" will return.

He just noticed this?

Sure. Shoot the messenger. Ignore the messenger. Fits the modus apparandi around here to a tee

I don't blame in or any of our past players for stating the obvious. I couldn't make todays game because of a bad back but when I saw on TV that the center west stands tons of red, I almost turned it off. Agree that both lines were getting beat all day but first that can only be corrected by recruiting and signing major conference like coaches. Sure winning helps put a few extra thousand fannies in the seats but the administration and alumni need to act like this is a major program. Sick and tired of hearing that NU can't afford better, more expensive coaches or they can't make Ryan Field a destination, which is total b.s.. Do something like put all of the cash from the BTN into the football and basketball programs, increase the size of the marching band to a respectable 200 plus, do something with Walker Terrace, which sadly is just an eyesore now, encourage restaurant and bar groups from the city and suburbs to attend games by making bus service available and maybe food and beverage perks, get the CTA to run express trains from Chicago on game days, play more night games and stop with the 11AM kickoff, hell sell beer, like Minnesota does. Continue doing the same and the product both on and off the field will sink to MAC League proportions. I can't get anyone interested in attending games and will likely cut my season tickets in half next season and haven't attended an away game in quite a few years. Do something/anything or the "Dark Ages" will return.
I was wondering if they would do anything with the Cubs today, considering their relationship and we saw 5 million people going bananas for the Cubs. I'm sure it wouldn't be easy, but bring the World Series trophy to the game - the Stanley cup was there last year.

A
He just noticed this?
If your addressing me. actually not. I have been attending NU games since the 50's. I've seen it all, including a resurgence under Ara an Alex, then the "Dark Ages", followed by the Barnett years and the two championships and a Rose Bowl appearance. Since his departure the program is slowly sliding down hill, with a 9 or 10 win season happening every five or ten years. Attendance is falling and media coverage is almost invisible. Today's show of fan support was embarrassing, almost as embarrassing as the play by both of NU's lines. Do what you have to do the recruit better and pay for top notch coaches or the "Dark Ages" might return.

A
If your addressing me. actually not. I have been attending NU games since the 50's. I've seen it all, including a resurgence under Ara an Alex, then the "Dark Ages", followed by the Barnett years and the two championships and a Rose Bowl appearance. Since his departure the program is slowly sliding down hill, with a 9 or 10 win season happening every five or ten years. Attendance is falling and media coverage is almost invisible. Today's show of fan support was embarrassing, almost as embarrassing as the play by both of NU's lines. Do what you have to do the recruit better and pay for top notch coaches or the "Dark Ages" might return.

Cmon Willy, you weren't even there today to opine on fan support. There wasn't a lot to make noise about today. When there was I heard noise. Also, Nebby had a higher percentage of the seats than Whisky did and they were much loader.

Also for the record we have had 2 10 win seasons in the last 4 years, so no idea where the 9-10 win season every 5-10 years comes from. Your hero Barney left after a 0-8 Conference record. Maybe that is when the slowly sliding downhill was an abrupt jump off the cliff.

Who is Adam DePietro and why should anyone care? Maybe he should get a few more friends to go to the game with him.

Can't disagree with Adam but I'll also say that I sit about 10 rows in front of two very prominent former players who sit like statues through the whole game. They don't stand on 3rd downs, they don't cheer...I don't know if they think it would be beneath them as former players or what but I can all but guarantee if either of them were vocal or gave even the slightest "get up" wave the whole section would follow.

I live out of town(Texas) so try to come to one game a year but it would be nice for my fans to show up. Having consistency and winning 6-7 games in an off year. 8 in an average year would be nice with a 9-10 year every few years may cause a rise in the numbers. Also winning the games we should win ( no FCS fiascos-- or teams in that range). Also I'd like to see us run up the scores against the lesser opponents. Maybe that is not "good sportsmanship" but helps the eye test and this is not pee wee football.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Sure. Shoot the messenger. Ignore the messenger. Fits the modus apparandi around here to a tee

The people who I know don't attend games anymore are those who bitched up a storm last year and wanted several coaches fired when we went 10-3 (6-2). I'll bet they made a killing selling tickets to Wisconsin fans this week.

I must admit seemingly being the only person standing and cheering for our defense on 3rd downs in the first half today in the first rows of Sec. 131 was pretty embarrassing. The crowds have been more subdued and quiet for NU at this season's games. This was an appropriate game during/after which to have Adam's response.

Also, as we were just standing around at halftime, deciding not to push through the throng of Wisconsin fans to get over to the East Side that actually has decent food options, a woman walked up to us with three tickets to the Stadium Club and asked if we wanted them. Of course, and thank you, we said! We thoroughly enjoyed the free food and drinks and great view from the Stadium Club in the second half, and my wife met Julia Louis-Dreyfus. But the real reason I'm bringing it up is that, unsurprisingly, the fans up there are really quiet, but in all honesty, they're not any more silent than the fans sitting in the regular stands, these days.

Last edited:
I must admit seemingly being the only person standing and cheering for our defense on 3rd downs in the first half today in the first rows of Sec. 131 was pretty embarrassing. The crowds have been more subdued and quiet for NU at this season's games. This was an appropriate game during/after which to have Adam's response.

Could this year's decline in crowd quality be somehow related to the loss of 'Hands in the Air'?

It does seem like the push for increased season ticket sales has lost some steam. Seems like a few years ago we discussed how season ticket sales were on the rise. This year all we talked about is how after decades of griping they paved the parking lot but at the same time offended many long time STH by changing the points system.

A realists perspective: If you want a football program with a giant, rabid fan base, then NU athletics isn't for you. It never has been...it never will be. NU Football, regardless of any success we've had, will always be David battling Goliath in perception and fan base. That's never going to change. Like it or not, we've put our cards behind the team that has more obstacles (grades, support, etc) than any other in the conference. We can complain about the others fans, but the only thing any of us have any control over is our own personal support. All the more reason to love the hell out of this team and root for them like crazy.

Last edited:
Lots of people (like me) will be reducing # of season tickets bought because of the change in parking policy. That's coming next year.

Reactions: willycat
People were onto this weeks ago. Apathy has set in. And all the reasons have been discussed ad naseum. If, as Windy City says, Adam D is slow on the take, he has plenty of company around here from the apologist crowd because they still think we have an awesome staff that is right on the verge of taking us to the promised land after last year's "10 win season".

Iowa and MSU were wonderful. But they were head-fakes against mediocre-to-poor teams, not seminal moments in NU football history. The reason the fans are sitting on their hands is simple: they're not seeing anything out there to cheer for.

Last edited:
His tweets during the game were more than interesting. I could not figure out how to copy them from email. BUt basically it was that the NU fan base was a joke and the players are working hard but have to work hard against the program as well. He seemed to be sitting in the NU season ticket holders section surrounded by WIsconsin fans. As much as it is not the only factor I believe it has to have emphasis on recruiting. He is at Adam D @DePietro73 If you remember AD was an offensive line man at NU very recently.
FYI.

I flew out from Washington DC to attend this game because it had meaning in the Big Ten west race.

I can tell you I was ready to cheer my ass off, but the Cats didn't play particularly well.

I think the fans getting into it is directly correlated to the quality of product in the field.

Let's face it. The current is is very mediocre and below 500. I kept saying to myself when we were in offense "make a ****ing play". Said it multiple times.

Make the product on the field great again and our fans will have no problem cheering and screaming.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
A realists perspective: If you want a football program with a giant, rabid fan base, then NU athletics isn't for you. It never has been...it never will be. NU Football, regardless of any success we've had, will always be Daniel battling Goliath in perception and fan base. That's never going to change. Like it or not, we've put our cards behind the team that has more obstacles (grades, support, etc) than any other in the conference. We can complain about the others fans, but the only thing any of us have any control over is our own personal support. All the more reason to love the hell out of this team and root for them like crazy.

Haven't heard the one with Daniel.

People were onto this weeks ago. Apathy has set in. And all the reasons have been discussed ad naseum. If, as Windy City says, Adam D is slow on the take, he has plenty of company around here from the apologist crowd because they still think we have an awesome staff that is right on the verge of taking us to the promised land after last year's "10 win season".

Iowa and MSU were wonderful. But they were head-fakes against mediocre-to-poor teams, not seminal moments in NU football history. The reason the fans are sitting on their hands is simple: they're not seeing anything out there to cheer for.

You think the tepid stadium atmosphere started only weeks ago? Give me a break.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT