ADVERTISEMENT

Adam DePietro

Haven't heard the one with Daniel.

Daniel was the guy that got his head smashed in just before David showed up.

But seriously, for us fans that do show up, how does this help? There are loyal fans who come to the games and calling us a joke seems a bit cruel. The school needs to find ways to bring new people to the game and you can't really blame the people who show up. It isn't the alumni or the students that will make the difference. NU has to somehow appeal to the people in Chicago and that has just not yet happened. A consistently good team with a couple of championships may do the trick but 5 to 7 wins a year will not. Somehow the product has to bring in the fans that never went to the school.

Until then, whether the guy is an ex-player or not, the tweets do no good. The players have to realize that other teams will continue to bring their fanbase in to our stadium until the product is good enough to sell itself to the masses in Chicago.

Daniel was the guy that got his head smashed in just before David showed up.

But seriously, for us fans that do show up, how does this help? There are loyal fans who come to the games and calling us a joke seems a bit cruel. The school needs to find ways to bring new people to the game and you can't really blame the people who show up. It isn't the alumni or the students that will make the difference. NU has to somehow appeal to the people in Chicago and that has just not yet happened. A consistently good team with a couple of championships may do the trick but 5 to 7 wins a year will not. Somehow the product has to bring in the fans that never went to the school.

Until then, whether the guy is an ex-player or not, the tweets do no good. The players have to realize that other teams will continue to bring their fanbase in to our stadium until the product is good enough to sell itself to the masses in Chicago.
Agreed, and this also dovetails with someone I've (and others) have been yelling about for a bit: this program's seeming complete inability to take advantage of momentum. When Fitz took over, we built/tread water for a bit until 2012 when we thought we'd broken through. 10 win season, close losses, bowl win. We start 2013 undefeated, we're ranked, we have OSU at home, frickin' Gameday is in town. We lose...that's not bad in and of itself, but then we begin to unravel...we all know the story of back to back 5-7 seasons. Huge opportunity lost to capture more fans. That OSU game was absolutely electric and filled with purple...I'm not saying we needed to win that game (a tall task), but we needed to not melt down to keep those fans. We didn't.

Ok, so we recover...we have a somewhat tenuous 10 win season again. What do we do when it's once again possible to capture the momentum? Lose to WMU (a good team, but we should be able to handle them on any given Saturday) and then lay the absolute worst stinker possibly of all time for this program in back to back weeks.

Honestly, it only takes 2 really good seasons to start really pulling neutral support. The last time (and only time) that's happened was 95/96...how many of our current diehards were won over by those years? I'm willing to say a very large percentage. We have to seize momentum as a program when it's there in order to truly build support...we haven't. That's not on the fans.

I understand DePietro's frustration with the fan support. And it's easy to forget that he's young and full of piss and vinegar. But publicly ripping on the fans and the program of the institution that welcomed and supported him seems really, really short-sighted to me. I am not sure how it helps anything beyond making him look like a fool.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
I understand DePietro's frustration with the fan support. And it's easy to forget that he's young and full of piss and vinegar. But publicly ripping on the fans and the program of the institution that welcomed and supported him seems really, really short-sighted to me. I am not sure how it helps anything beyond making him look like a fool.
Actually the many so called NU fans who sold their tickets to the enemy need to be ripped, again and again.

Actually the many so called NU fans who sold their tickets to the enemy need to be ripped, again and again.

Swell, but not by an ex-player. You are more than capable of doing that for the good of the cause.

Anyway, fan support is an old tired story. If you want raucous party atmosphere go to Iowa City.

I don't know why this has to be rehashed every time we have one of these teams in town

Reactions: Hungry Jack
And it's easy to forget that he's young and full of piss and vinegar.

...and probably some pregame tailgating beers too.

Seriously, I don't disagree with his overall point (in that our fans do seem medicated at times compared to other Big Ten teams' fans), but I do see irony in an NU fan logging into his twitter account and tweeting with his phone DURING THE GAME about how disengaged NU fans are from the game.

You probably ought to keep your phone in your pocket during the game if you're going to criticize others for being disengaged from the game.

...and probably some pregame tailgating beers too.

Seriously, I don't disagree with his overall point (in that our fans do seem medicated at times compared to other Big Ten teams' fans), but I do see irony in an NU fan logging into his twitter account and tweeting with his phone DURING THE GAME about how disengaged NU fans are from the game.

You probably ought to keep your phone in your pocket during the game if you're going to criticize others for being disengaged from the game.

Then again, that just might be the best time to reach the truly disengaged... o_O

Agreed, and this also dovetails with someone I've (and others) have been yelling about for a bit: this program's seeming complete inability to take advantage of momentum. When Fitz took over, we built/tread water for a bit until 2012 when we thought we'd broken through. 10 win season, close losses, bowl win. We start 2013 undefeated, we're ranked, we have OSU at home, frickin' Gameday is in town. We lose...that's not bad in and of itself, but then we begin to unravel...we all know the story of back to back 5-7 seasons. Huge opportunity lost to capture more fans. That OSU game was absolutely electric and filled with purple...I'm not saying we needed to win that game (a tall task), but we needed to not melt down to keep those fans. We didn't.

Ok, so we recover...we have a somewhat tenuous 10 win season again. What do we do when it's once again possible to capture the momentum? Lose to WMU (a good team, but we should be able to handle them on any given Saturday) and then lay the absolute worst stinker possibly of all time for this program in back to back weeks.

Honestly, it only takes 2 really good seasons to start really pulling neutral support. The last time (and only time) that's happened was 95/96...how many of our current diehards were won over by those years? I'm willing to say a very large percentage. We have to seize momentum as a program when it's there in order to truly build support...we haven't. That's not on the fans.

The losses to WMU and ISU were killer. The Bears stink, ND stinks, Illinois stinks, if ever there was a time to grab some local, unaffiliated fans it was then. By the time the cats righted the ship the city was captivated by the Cubs. Now all that is left if the thanksgiving weekend game against Illinois.

The losses to WMU and ISU were killer. The Bears stink, ND stinks, Illinois stinks, if ever there was a time to grab some local, unaffiliated fans it was then. By the time the cats righted the ship the city was captivated by the Cubs. Now all that is left if the thanksgiving weekend game against Illinois.

Blackhawks still ain't bad, either.

You seem quite good at spending others money and being the keyboard "tough guy". {I'm impressed}.
I am only trying to help you Willy. Why air your grievances around here in front of the same, small audience when you can achieve a much greater scale for your Wildcat disaffection by going with print? Remember years ago, when some fans in Tampa bought a billboard that used Vinny Testaverde's color blindness as a foil to raise awareness of his propensity to thorw interceptions? Now that was creative and powerful! You might find a picture of our west side stands fleckled with Badger red and add a snappy caption that reads "The treachery of Northwestern season ticket holders has Wildcat players seeing red!"

Been at NU games for over 30 years now. The only times I can recall the environment being any good were 1995, 1996, and 2000.

Selective memory. The crowd was vibrant during these games in Fitz's tenure:

2009 vs. #14 Wisconsin, 33-31 victory. Crowd stormed the field.
2010 vs. #13 Iowa, 21-17 win. Crowd was raucous and got into skirmishes with Iowa fans. Persa's injury got a damper on the win, though.
2013 vs. #4 OSU, 40-30 loss. Great NU atmosphere on the West side. First time so many NU fans vs. OSU since Walker years. Devastating loss.

Good atmosphere for these contests:

2012 vs. Iowa, 28-17 win. Very enthusiastic crowd. We came out of this game ranked and riding high until the OT loss to Michigan.
2015 vs. #21 Stanford, 16-6 win. Not a fun, wild crowd but a good Purple showing for an opener.

I don't know what Texas Tech has to do with this but yes, if people saw a chance of what Fitz had been promising for 11 years, yes, the stands would be full. They were the last time we did it. And that was when nobody believed it was possible and we were at risk of losing the coach who brought it to us.

I would not like Texas Tech's or Wash St's defense, but their offenses are fun to watch. Our 3-and-out offense is less stirring.

Even when we're moving the ball, there is not much excitement anymore.

That just highlights a more obvious problem: we lack gamebreakers. There's no Venric, no Kain, no Persa, no Tyrell, no Gissendaner, no Bates. Those guys were exciting to watch.

Justin is a durable, strong, reliable back, but he's not explosive, elusive or a threat to go 75 yards. Our QB, despite great improvement, is not anything close to Persa or Basanez in avoiding the rush or making plays out of nothing.

Carr is the closest thing that we have to exciting, but he's a lot more Zeke than D'Wayne.

Selective memory. The crowd was vibrant during these games in Fitz's tenure:

2009 vs. #14 Wisconsin, 33-31 victory. Crowd stormed the field.
2010 vs. #13 Iowa, 21-17 win. Crowd was raucous and got into skirmishes with Iowa fans. Persa's injury got a damper on the win, though.
2013 vs. #4 OSU, 40-30 loss. Great NU atmosphere on the West side. First time so many NU fans vs. OSU since Walker years. Devastating loss.

Good atmosphere for these contests:

2012 vs. Iowa, 28-17 win. Very enthusiastic crowd. We came out of this game ranked and riding high until the OT loss to Michigan.
2015 vs. #21 Stanford, 16-6 win. Not a fun, wild crowd but a good Purple showing for an opener.

Wasn't picking out individual games, but rather years in which the atmosphere was good and attendance consistent.

I would not like Texas Tech's or Wash St's defense, but their offenses are fun to watch. Our 3-and-out offense is less stirring.

That just highlights a more obvious problem: we lack gamebreakers. There's no Venric, no Kain, no Persa, no Tyrell, no Gissendaner, no Bates. Those guys were exciting to watch.

Justin is a durable, strong, reliable back, but he's not explosive, elusive or a threat to go 75 yards. Our QB, despite great improvement, is not anything close to Persa or Basanez in avoiding the rush or making plays out of nothing.

Carr is the closest thing that we have to exciting, but he's a lot more Zeke than D'Wayne.

1) Wazzu's defense is much improved this year and a big part of the reason that team is competitive in the PAC-10/12.

2) Not sure what you're watching, but Jackson is an EXTREMELY elusive runner. His ability to make people miss in tight spaces while making something out of nothing (happened far too often behind our offensive line the past two years) is sometimes the only thing that actually works in our offense. Way off on that one.

Boom, roasted.
I have Gcat on ignore but I see he continues to stalk me. Would you please ask him how many season tickets he has, how many games he's attended this season and how many times has is given at least $600 or even $10 dollars to the NU football program. Thanks.

Reactions: julescat
2) Not sure what you're watching, but Jackson is an EXTREMELY elusive runner. His ability to make people miss in tight spaces while making something out of nothing (happened far too often behind our offensive line the past two years) is sometimes the only thing that actually works in our offense. Way off on that one.

And sometimes he's not good enough to offset how bad our OL is. I would take Tyrell any day.

I enjoy watching JJ, CT, AC and the Cat offense.

Reactions: SmellyCat
I have Gcat on ignore but I see he continues to stalk me. Would you please ask him how many season tickets he has, how many games he's attended this season and how many times has is given at least $600 or even $10 dollars to the NU football program. Thanks.

2 (part of my family's 6); will probably increase to 3 or 4 starting next year to accommodate my wife and daughter with one extra while leaving my parents two extra to bring their friends

Attended all home games this with the exception of ISU. Is it ok that I left at halftime to get my daughter home for her naps some of the time or are you going to try scolding me for that, too?

Given the minimum $600 every year in which the parking rule was in effect and continue planning to do so every year to ensure I get priority choice on parking... which I also pay for.

Didn't make any donations from 2011-2014 because I was working for the team from 2008-2011 making crap money (a donation would have been weird anyway) and it took some time to get my disposable income high enough after leaving the program to start donating (though I paid my dad for two tickets every season in which I wasn't working for the program). As soon as I started making enough money to do so, I started donating at a level that would get me what I wanted (i.e. west lot parking).

Are you seriously going to try to question my dedication to the program and willingness to put my money where my mouth is?

And sometimes he's not good enough to offset how bad our OL is. I would take Tyrell any day.

Are you saying Tyrell would be good enough to offset how bad this OL is? I hope not because that is non-sense. Adrian Peterson would have trouble gaining ground with the holes we had last week.

Clayton isn't as elusive as Persa or Baz. You don't need to be a scout to see that. How's his arm strength compared to them?

We don't have a three and out offense. We have only had that when we have been manhandled at the line.

We have 3 studs on offense and you managed to slam each of them. JJTBC is not elusive is a silly statement.

The sad thing is that these people claim to be doing NU a "favor" supporting the program by buying these tickets and then never using them and selling them instead. They act as if it's a donation. It's not a favor to the program to buy tickets and not use them! And it's not a donation if you get all your money back by selling. So basically: "STFU, hypocrite!"

All these people are doing is enabling opposing fans to infiltrate the center of the stadium, rather than sit on the fringes where they belong.

1) Wazzu's defense is much improved this year and a big part of the reason that team is competitive in the PAC-10/12.

Agreed, I think the NU offense was very exciting to watch in the Iowa, MSU and Ohio State games with numerous big plays, especially the MSU game with two long Jackson runs, a 95-yard kickoff return by Vault, the long catch and run by Nagel and numerous Carr highlights. If that isn't exciting enough, better find another sport to watch.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
2 (part of my family's 6); will probably increase to 3 or 4 starting next year to accommodate my wife and daughter with one extra while leaving my parents two extra to bring their friends

Attended all home games this with the exception of ISU. Is it ok that I left at halftime to get my daughter home for her naps some of the time or are you going to try scolding me for that, too?

Given the minimum $600 every year in which the parking rule was in effect and continue planning to do so every year to ensure I get priority choice on parking... which I also pay for.

Didn't make any donations from 2011-2014 because I was working for the team from 2008-2011 making crap money (a donation would have been weird anyway) and it took some time to get my disposable income high enough after leaving the program to start donating (though I paid my dad for two tickets every season in which I wasn't working for the program). As soon as I started making enough money to do so, I started donating at a level that would get me what I wanted (i.e. west lot parking).

Are you seriously going to try to question my dedication to the program and willingness to put my money where my mouth is?
Congratulations. However my response was directed to Gcat. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT