ADVERTISEMENT

Adjusting > checking off

WaveJumper

Mar 13, 2002
Earlier in the season (after the ISU game) I made a long post on what I observed after 3 games.

One of my observations/complaints was - "And finally, what I think is a biggie, Thorson does not have permission to check off (audible) when the called play is totally wrong for the defensive set. This was blatantly obvious in the Duke game when Duke showed an over-cheating run set with 9 men in the box and NU still tried to pound JJ between the tackles. No screens, no traps, no audibles. This is his second year as a starter, he should have the authority to check-off. They trust him to start, they should trust him to read the defense and adjust when necessary."

During the MSU game, McCall took several opportunities to change the play prior to the snap, based on what the defense was showing. This was the first game I noticed that. From memory, I can't recall how effective it was in this game, but I'm sure it had a lot to do with putting MSU on its heels on defense - kept them guessing.

Although it didn't appear to be Thorson's call to make, this is definitely a step in the right direction. Perhaps next year, (or maybe even later this year) they'll get to the point where they trust Thorson to make some of those calls. I believe it had a lot to do with the effectiveness of the offense.

During the MSU game, McCall took several opportunities to change the play prior to the snap, based on what the defense was showing. This was the first game I noticed that. From memory, I can't recall how effective it was in this game, but I'm sure it had a lot to do with putting MSU on its heels on defense - kept them guessing.

The 'Cats have used the "check with me" approach at different times this year and in the past, but as you noted, its use can be sporadic; situation specific. You won't see McCall checking early in games because there's a script in place and you definitely won't see it after big gains/first downs due to tempo.

Additionally, GCG pointed out in another thread that many of the spreads you see today (like the uber popular Tony Franklin System) omit QB line checks, much to the chagrin of NFL coaching staffs.

I personally think McCall's creative use of the screen game and its offshoots (like the Nagel TD via what looked like a wheel/seam combo) was what really gave MSU fits. At times the Spartans looked completely unprepared for it and it's effectiveness early in the 1st and 3rd quarters (5-10 yard gains) was key to opening up the inside zone rushes. NU didn't have to rely solely on the outside zone play to spring JJ like earlier in the season.

I liked the personnel decisions too. Jackson and Solo are great choices (we used Vitale in 2014 & 2015 in those sets). I wouldn't mind seeing a little of Roberts or Moten on the edge/bubble as well.

Last edited:
Earlier in the season (after the ISU game) I made a long post on what I observed after 3 games.

One of my observations/complaints was - "And finally, what I think is a biggie, Thorson does not have permission to check off (audible) when the called play is totally wrong for the defensive set. This was blatantly obvious in the Duke game when Duke showed an over-cheating run set with 9 men in the box and NU still tried to pound JJ between the tackles. No screens, no traps, no audibles. This is his second year as a starter, he should have the authority to check-off. They trust him to start, they should trust him to read the defense and adjust when necessary."

Although it didn't appear to be Thorson's call to make, this is definitely a step in the right direction. Perhaps next year, (or maybe even later this year) they'll get to the point where they trust Thorson to make some of those calls. I believe it had a lot to do with the effectiveness of the offense.

Good point. It was noticeable sitting up in the rafters. It also worked almost every time.

Despite giving up long plays, the defense seemed to know what was coming most of the time too. Many shifts there up front especially.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT