ADVERTISEMENT

Amazing chart shows just how much basketball has changed

Would love to see NU’s shot chart for this year and over Collins’ tenure. We seem to have terrible shot selection - lots of 16 footers and contested floaters.

Time to change scoring. Baskets inside the paint should count for one point only. Baskets made inside the three-point line and outside the paint should count for two. Might be worth an experiment in summer league and preseason.

That will reduce the value of attacking the basket which would be awful. Watching guys attack the rim with creative or power finishes is a big part of the game.

Reactions: drewjin
This change was led by analytics, and the numbers are pretty compelling. I believe the Rockets have received a lot of credit for understanding the analytics and transforming their roster to fit the numbers. Meanwhile, the Pistons didn't understand the analytics during the Dumars era and made a lot of bad decisions. I think rules changes also had an effect by freeing up movement.

It takes a while, but changes in the NBA eventually tend filter down to college and eventually to high school. There are few NBA players who are efficient at midrange shots; IIRC a couple of years ago it was Durant, Nowitzki and a couple of other guys. Now I'm starting to see high school coaches change their offensive and defensive strategies regarding midrange shooting.

The Rockets led by NU alumnus Daryl Morey.

Your mention of the Pistons brought back bad memories of Josh Smith. Sheesh, what a terrible signing!

This change was led by analytics, and the numbers are pretty compelling. I believe the Rockets have received a lot of credit for understanding the analytics and transforming their roster to fit the numbers. Meanwhile, the Pistons didn't understand the analytics during the Dumars era and made a lot of bad decisions. I think rules changes also had an effect by freeing up movement.

It takes a while, but changes in the NBA eventually tend filter down to college and eventually to high school. There are few NBA players who are efficient at midrange shots; IIRC a couple of years ago it was Durant, Nowitzki and a couple of other guys. Now I'm starting to see high school coaches change their offensive and defensive strategies regarding midrange shooting.

This change was led by analytics, and the numbers are pretty compelling. I believe the Rockets have received a lot of credit for understanding the analytics and transforming their roster to fit the numbers.

And then the Rockets went on to win multiple titles.
:p

Reactions: Sec.112
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT