ADVERTISEMENT

An Alaskan "Wild" Cat Makes its Appearance

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
After a decade plus of Alaska Moose Sightings and their bringing of good luck to the Gridiron Wildcats, yesterday morning brought a close encounter of another kind.

It was crazy. I had just had a conversation with an excavator who was doing some work for me and he mentioned that this year was unusual as in his construction work across multiple neighborhoods in my community he had not seen a single bear, when in a typical year he would come across several. He then went on to talk about the other wild animals he ran into in his excavation work and commented that the first one he had encountered when coming to Alaska was a Lynx.

Not more than five minutes later I turned around and there was a Lynx - an Alaska "Wild" Cat within a stone's throwing distance of where I stood. The Lynx is generally a nocturnal animal that hunts its prey out of human sight and makes few public appearances. In fact in my many years in Alaska I have only seen a Lynx in the wild on three occasions, and yesterday's sighting was the third.

Considering the good fortune that Moose Sightings have brought to Northwestern Football in the past, I can only imagine what lies ahead this year for the Wildcats with the appearance of an Alaska "Wild" Cat.

Here are the requisite photographs offering "belief with evidence in expectation of victory:"

IMG_3262.jpg
IMG_3265.jpg
IMG_3268.jpg

And for completeness, here is the afore mentioned excavator who was with me at the site to share the sight:

IMG_3353.jpg

Last edited:
After a decade plus of Alaska Moose Sightings and their bringing of good luck to the Gridiron Wildcats, yesterday morning brought a close encounter of another kind.

It was crazy. I had just had a conversation with an excavator who was doing some work for me and he mentioned that this year was unusual as in his construction work across multiple neighborhoods in my community he had not seen a single bear, when in a typical year he would come across several. He then went on to talk about the other wild animals he ran into in his excavation work and commented that the first one he had encountered when coming to Alaska was a Lynx.

Not more than five minutes later I turned around and there was a Lynx - an Alaska "Wild" Cat within a stone's throwing distance of where I stood. The Lynx is generally a nocturnal animal that hunts its prey out of human sight and makes few public appearances. In fact in my many years in Alaska I have only seen a Lynx in the wild on three occasions, and yesterday's sighting was the third.

Considering the good fortune that Moose Sightings have brought to Northwestern Football in the past, I can only imagine what lies ahead this year for the Wildcats with the appearance of an Alaska "Wild" Cat.

Here are the requisite photographs offering "belief with evidence in expectation of victory:"

IMG_3262.jpg
IMG_3265.jpg
IMG_3268.jpg

And for completeness, here is the afore mentioned excavator who was with me at the site to share the sight:

IMG_3353.jpg

After numerous Karma Moose Sightings,and now a rare Lynx encounter something special is brewing for our Gridiron Cats.Thanks for the pictures Alaska.Really breathtaking.
P.S.That Lynx is one bad looking hombre

Definitely resembles the statue in the south end zone! Thank you for sharing.

Agreed. Here is the placard my daughter made for us to take to the Rose Bowl. Note its positioning in front of the Lynx on display at the Anchorage International Airport as we boarded our flight headed for California.

IMG_3387.jpg

OK, for those who missed the posting on the Rock, here are photos that include Moose sightings from the past two on campus recruiting weekends that coincided with at least two commits already, and hopefully more to follow.

IMG_8825.jpg
IMG_3066.jpg
IMG_3100.jpg
IMG_3089.jpg

Last edited:
Alaskawildkat...question for you: I am going to be in Anchorage just before the season starts. Can you recommend any great local seafood restaurants for my wife and I to eat at while we are in town?? Perhaps with good crab/local fish?? Thanks for any info and help!

Alaskawildkat...question for you: I am going to be in Anchorage just before the season starts. Can you recommend any great local seafood restaurants for my wife and I to eat at while we are in town?? Perhaps with good crab/local fish?? Thanks for any info and help!
A personal favorite for lunch fare is the F Street Station at 325 F (just around the corner from the Anchorage Hilton Hotel). Their crab sandwich and halibut offerings are superb, reasonably priced and come with fresh cut fries or a great Ceasar Salad.

For upscale dinner seafood such as Alaska King Crab or their specialty Panko fried Asiagio Halibut Cheeks you can't beat Simon and Seafort's on L Street.

If I get lucky and catch some fresh red salmon and the connection works out I'd be happy to host you for a fish meal at my place.

Last edited:
A personal favorite for lunch fare is the F Street Station at 325 F (just around the corner from the Anchorage Hilton Hotel). Their crab sandwich and halibut offerings are superb, reasonably priced and come with fresh cut fries or a great Ceasar Salad.

For upscale dinner seafood such as Alaska King Crab or their specialty Panko fried Asiagio Halibut Cheeks you can't beat Simon and Seafort's on L Street. I

f I get lucky and catch some fresh red salmon and the connection works out I'd be happy to host you for a fish meal at my place.
Wow! Thanks for the hospitality. Not sure if the logistics would work out to meet though. We've got meetings on and off throughout the stay. Thanks for the recommendations for restaurants though. They sound great! If anything changes with the timeframes, I'll message you. We arrive late aug 23rd. Then head to seward and denali later in the trip. Btw, I am a 91' cas grad at nu. Did you get your ba at nu or your md? Are you a md? Just curious....

Wow! Thanks for the hospitality. Not sure if the logistics would work out to meet though. We've got meetings on and off throughout the stay. Thanks for the recommendations for restaurants though. They sound great! If anything changes with the timeframes, I'll message you. We arrive late aug 23rd. Then head to seward and denali later in the trip. Btw, I am a 91' cas grad at nu. Did you get your ba at nu or your md? Are you a md? Just curious....
B.A. from NU and then went west for further study.

Hope it works out to get together when you are here.

FWIW, today's visit to the same location where the Alaska "Wild" Cat a/k/a Lynx was encountered earlier this week brought these Hawk sightings.

(Do we have our eyes on anyone in the transfer portal from Iowa?)

IMG_3677.jpg
IMG_3595.jpg
IMG_3671.jpg
IMG_3612.jpg

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
I only know a little about birds but I would have guessed that looked like an eagle of some kind. Is it a Goss Hawk? I remember being told they sit with their tails straight down like that.

A follow up regarding yesterday's Hawk photos.

Here are some distant views evidencing the enormous size of the birds.

(This location along The Anchorage coast is a main gateway for bird migrations in Alaska. At the same spot I encountered a Lynx earlier this week and a bear was there when I was present the week prior.

It is less than a mile from our house as the crow [OK, Hawk] flies.

IMG_3650.jpg
IMG_3647.jpg
IMG_3622.jpg

I only know a little about birds but I would have guessed that looked like an eagle of some kind. Is it a Goss Hawk? I remember being told they sit with their tails straight down like that.
I am no expert, but I have to say that the photo I caught of one in flight looks very close to one I found on the internet of the Goss Hawk. When I saw it in person the stretched wings appeared white (as in the internet photo) even though my photo with the existent lighting conditions does not reflect that.

Edited to add: After checking some internet sources, one of the distinguishing characteristics (apart from size with the Eagle's wing span at 8 feet, and a hawk's at 5 feet) is purported to be a difference in their beaks. The hawk has a curved beak. My posted photos do capture a curved beak. Hawks apparently have sharper talons, but my photos, although showing some very long talons, would not be definitive on that score.

IMG_3671.jpg
IMG_3749.jpg

Last edited:

IMG_3262.jpg
IMG_3265.jpg
IMG_3268.jpg

IMG_3353.jpg

OK, for those who missed the posting on the Rock, here are photos that include Moose sightings from the past two on campus recruiting weekends that coincided with at least two commits already, and hopefully more to follow.

IMG_8825.jpg
IMG_3066.jpg
IMG_3100.jpg
IMG_3089.jpg
OK, the official tally for June is in. Lou, in his just posted article, reports that Northwestern has landed 8 commits for the month.

The tally is an exact numerical match for the previously reported and pictured Alaska karma bearing wildlife which made their June appearances:

One Mother Moose and Two Calves made their June Appearance near Portage Glacier
Another Moose made its June Appearance near The Matanuska Glacier
Three Hawks made their appearance as pictured in a prior June Posting
One Alaska "Wildcat" Lynx appeared at the same location as did the Hawks the following June week

Eight for Eight

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT