ADVERTISEMENT

Another Bowl Story

Great story....thanks for sharing. The article is spot on...Pinstripe Bowl certainly stood out to me as a very unique and enjoyable event. The Yankee influence was very evident an added to a terrific experience.

There is no reason not to schedule a few northern bowl games. The NFL has had playoff games in January for several years now.
Right and I think that the next Super Bowl is scheduled for Minneapolis. A Big Ten bowl or two in Minneapolis, St. Louis or Indy.

It's not like the traditional warm weather spots are that 'warm' this time of year anyway. My family froze our butts off in Orlando a couple years back, and the forecast in Pasadena for today's Rosebowl is low-50's with a chance of rain. That's not unusual for SoCal, Arizona or Nevada in Dec/Jan.

For those with their heads in the clouds...

1. "College football" doesn't set up bowl games...local committees and ESPN do. Maybe FS1 wants to get into the mix here, but there's nothing stopping a local Chicago organization and a major network from proposing something when some of these other games inevitably go out of business...unless there's no apparent interest...which appears to be the case.

2. I've watched Northwestern in cold bowl games at Tampa (1st Outback Bowl was 30s and raining) and Dallas...the weather wasn't ideal but the range of weather possibilities was - it was as cold as it was gonna get. It was 39 degree at the Pinstripe Bowl but it could have just as easily been below zero in a blizzard. It also could have been pouring, like it did the very next day. Weather can also impact travel logistics, which is a problem for a bowl game that's depending on travelers. And stop using the Super Bowl as a counter-example...it's the Super Bowl. If there's a blizzard and 25,000 travelers with tickets can't make it, the host city will find 25,000 locals to go, effortlessly. Unless Boston lands a top-tier game that's hosting a playoff, the same will not be the case at Fenway in December.

3. MAC vs. B1G for Chicago or AAC vs. ACC for Boston doesn't mean local. Chicago fans - are you going to the Cubby Bowl when Rutgers is playing Toledo? Boston fans - same question for NC State vs. East Carolina. FYI: the ANNOUNCED attendance for this year's Quick Lane Bowl was 19,000.

4. "Organization." The Lions present the Quick Lane Bowl. The Yankees present Pinstripe. Literally nothing about the Cubs or Bears tells me they have their acts together to do the same. Is Wrigley even configured for a regulation football field yet?

...I'd follow Northwestern to the moon if that's where they're playing, but don't act like there aren't lots of good reasons why we don't see more bowl games in Chi or Boston.

It's not like the traditional warm weather spots are that 'warm' this time of year anyway. My family froze our butts off in Orlando a couple years back, and the forecast in Pasadena for today's Rosebowl is low-50's with a chance of rain. That's not unusual for SoCal, Arizona or Nevada in Dec/Jan.

Good point. I woke up to snow here in Nevada this morning.

The bowl game in Dallas a few years ago was freezing. Probably as cold or colder than NYC last week. Unless you're playing indoors or in Miami, there's a good chance that a bowl game this time of year will be chilly.

There is no reason not to schedule a few northern bowl games. The NFL has had playoff games in January for several years now.
However, there is reason not to schedule anymore bowl games. It was great to be in one, but isn't the bowl thing getting diluted?

For those with their heads in the clouds...

1. "College football" doesn't set up bowl games...local committees and ESPN do. Maybe FS1 wants to get into the mix here, but there's nothing stopping a local Chicago organization and a major network from proposing something when some of these other games inevitably go out of business...unless there's no apparent interest...which appears to be the case.

2. I've watched Northwestern in cold bowl games at Tampa (1st Outback Bowl was 30s and raining) and Dallas...the weather wasn't ideal but the range of weather possibilities was - it was as cold as it was gonna get. It was 39 degree at the Pinstripe Bowl but it could have just as easily been below zero in a blizzard. It also could have been pouring, like it did the very next day. Weather can also impact travel logistics, which is a problem for a bowl game that's depending on travelers. And stop using the Super Bowl as a counter-example...it's the Super Bowl. If there's a blizzard and 25,000 travelers with tickets can't make it, the host city will find 25,000 locals to go, effortlessly. Unless Boston lands a top-tier game that's hosting a playoff, the same will not be the case at Fenway in December.

3. MAC vs. B1G for Chicago or AAC vs. ACC for Boston doesn't mean local. Chicago fans - are you going to the Cubby Bowl when Rutgers is playing Toledo? Boston fans - same question for NC State vs. East Carolina. FYI: the ANNOUNCED attendance for this year's Quick Lane Bowl was 19,000.

4. "Organization." The Lions present the Quick Lane Bowl. The Yankees present Pinstripe. Literally nothing about the Cubs or Bears tells me they have their acts together to do the same. Is Wrigley even configured for a regulation football field yet?

...I'd follow Northwestern to the moon if that's where they're playing, but don't act like there aren't lots of good reasons why we don't see more bowl games in Chi or Boston.
There are lots of good reasons Chicago or Indy or Minneapolis don't have bowl games.

However, there are many arguments for why these cities are better bowl cities than Birmingham, Mobile, Shreveport, wherever the New Mexico bowl is, etc.

I think a driveable B1G bowl would be great - and I'd propose Indianapolis (for what it's worth, within 7 hour drive for several SEC/ACC schools) would be a good potential site. Indoor football in a new stadium, good (not great) air service, good central city, active convention spaces, grrrrreeeeat support for B1G tourney and (presumably) championship games, relatively mild weather (and December high is 39) are all good reasons.

Again, as mentioned in another thread, I'd propose this replace ATL as a semifinal rotational site. The Peach Bowl has a long history and would survive as a third-tier destination on the order of B1Gs Holiday affiliation.

This is totally infeasible of course. But I think B1G missed the mark when you consider that even a top seeded B1G playoff program will rarely have any geographical advantage over its opponent, and will often be at a significant geographic disadvantage.

The bowl game in Dallas a few years ago was freezing. Probably as cold or colder than NYC last week. Unless you're playing indoors or in Miami, there's a good chance that a bowl game this time of year will be chilly.

A whole gang of us got together in the parking lot before the game, and the wind chill was in the lower 30s.

Minneapolis is probably best set up for a northern bowl.

Newest stadium that is an attraction in itself with lots of amenities, and is indoor.
Fairly decent sized airline hub.
Downtown hotels connected to stadium, entertainment by skyways.
Downtown/stadium connected to airport by light rail.

Newest stadium that is an attraction in itself with lots of amenities, and is indoor.

I think it is only a matter of time before Minneapolis or Indy get a decent bowl. Atlanta doesn't do anything for me.

Did you have to let it out that Minneapolis built that monstrosity?;)

A whole gang of us got together in the parking lot before the game, and the wind chill was in the lower 30s.
Not to get all meteorologist on you, but my recollection is that the actual air temperature, not the wind chill, was in the lower thirties. A few of us drove up from Houston the morning of the game, and the car thermometer was showing the temperature at just over freezing when we arrived.

It was cold, and what made it worse was that the 'Cats lost yet another bowl game. Remember those years, when we couldn't win bowl games? Glad to have that behind us now. That monkey was finally put to rest. :)

I have never understood why the business/hospitality community in St. Louis doesn't do a bowl in their dome. It would be perfect for a Big 10 vs Big 12 matchup. (Conference USA too). The hotels would love it. I bet a lot of people have never been to St. Louis and would like to see it, just like I enjoyed San Antonio years ago.

Good Lord, Alaska, where DO you live?

Plans were to drive from Nevada to California but due to snow storm through Donner Pass it took my daughter's family 9 hours to make the trip home today instead of the usual 2 to 3 hours. At least we got to spend New Years with them at my son's place here in Nevada before a return to Alaska.

At this point I should probably add an obligatory Donner's Pass reference such as "Where would the ideal location be for a Ramen shop?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Noah121
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT