ADVERTISEMENT

Another potential Duke big man transfer?

scru

Sep 4, 2005
accoring to this short piece citing no sources, Duke FR 5-star C Marques Bolden is contemplating transferring. This is on the heels of two other Duke big man transfers (5-star C Chase Jeter and Rice transfer Sean Obi) and one departing for the NBA. Got me to wonder, is this the desired path when playing the one-and-done game? Each year, bring in as many highly rated kids as you can. The best of the lot play and move on to NBA. The next tier play good minutes but stay in program as "core" players. The last tier play little to no minutes just to rest guys from top 2 tiers and then transfer as they get recruited over; they'll likely have plenty of opportunities to play meaningful minutes elsewhere. With this setup, you're probably bringing in 5 - 7 highly recruited new players to sort into these tiers each year.

The sad thing with this approach is that I think it really forces the kids into a business like environment and takes away from the total college athletics experience they would have in a traditional program where the majority of the kids play out their scholarships.

What do you think? What type of system would you prefer? If NU was a program that could even play the one-and-done game, would you want to?

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...-duke-mens-basketballs-third-2016-17-transfer

Not thrilled about the one-and-done model. Kind of sucks. NBA loves it all day long.

Not thrilled about the one-and-done model. Kind of sucks. NBA loves it all day long.

Actually, I think the NBA owners would like the NFL model where kids have to stay 3 years and a) refine their game, and b) grow up. One-and-dones are a crap shoot, more fail than succeed at the next level.

accoring to this short piece citing no sources, Duke FR 5-star C Marques Bolden is contemplating transferring. This is on the heels of two other Duke big man transfers (5-star C Chase Jeter and Rice transfer Sean Obi) and one departing for the NBA. Got me to wonder, is this the desired path when playing the one-and-done game? Each year, bring in as many highly rated kids as you can. The best of the lot play and move on to NBA. The next tier play good minutes but stay in program as "core" players. The last tier play little to no minutes just to rest guys from top 2 tiers and then transfer as they get recruited over; they'll likely have plenty of opportunities to play meaningful minutes elsewhere. With this setup, you're probably bringing in 5 - 7 highly recruited new players to sort into these tiers each year.

The sad thing with this approach is that I think it really forces the kids into a business like environment and takes away from the total college athletics experience they would have in a traditional program where the majority of the kids play out their scholarships.

What do you think? What type of system would you prefer? If NU was a program that could even play the one-and-done game, would you want to?

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...-duke-mens-basketballs-third-2016-17-transfer

That is how my son's little league worked. The spring of 6th grade there were official tryouts. Coaches held a draft and brought kids in to fill the vacancies on their existing teams. Some of the coaches only cared about winning so if a young player didn't perform, he got ignored or discouraged and rode the bench in the hope that he wouldn't return the following year. This allowed that coach to have more openings on his roster to fill with better athletes.

On the one hand, it was great that my son's coach didn't do this, on the other hand my son's team didn't have the athletes to beat the best teams. Little league is serious stuff. Welcome to sports in America, the land of the free market capitalist.

Baseball's got the development system right.
Significant upfront bonuses, low minor league salaries, anybody can choose amateurism if they want (that is, "amateur" sports aren't the *only* true option), everybody's draft eligible.

The NBA should allow kids to be drafted right away, and should expand the NBDL. If a 19 year old can play, let him play. Durant - held as one of the early examples of one and done being 'great for college basketball' - was ready. So was LeBron. Many who aren't ready will be more ready at 20 or 21 if they get to be 40- or 80-hour a week basketball players, instead of part time "students".

I have no idea if the NBDL's teams are profitable - if they aren't, and if expansion (to 32 d-league teams instead of, I think, 16, with split NBA affiliates) isn't prudent, then the NBA should look to the Gulf Coast League or Arizona Rookie League as guides - they're cost centers for MLB teams where the only focus is player development.

College basketball is a sham. One of the nicest things about last night's game is that many of these guys were sophomores, which qualifies them as exceptions in title games. But casual fans remember many of the names from last year, which is nice. (Note that the game was still awful.)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT