ADVERTISEMENT

Another Unfortunate Result of NIL

Yes; they're not as generous with "aid" to the middle class as some people seem to think. The middle class are increasingly being priced out of the elite schools. The people who can "afford" to attend the elite, private schools are the wealthiest and the poorest.

Why is it fair to a student from a middle-class family to be burdened with the largest share of debt?
Yep, so why not be able to make money on NIL?

Yep, so why not be able to make money on NIL?
What about the vast majority of middle class students who are not athletes?

Why should a particularly individual be able to benefit significantly more than his peers just because he can throw a football better than the rest of them? He is already getting a free ride scholarship for that reason alone. What more is really warranted?

Reactions: FeralFelidae

Why should a particularly individual be able to benefit significantly more than his peers just because he can throw a football better than the rest of them? He is already getting a free ride scholarship for that reason alone. What more is really warranted?
And avoid the massive debt that the typical student has to take on.

Reactions: CaliforniaCat

Lol, go to State school or get better.

But very, VERY few physical ailments for those who play in college. Why is the college suddenly financially responsible for a student who chooses to play football beyond college? It no longer has anything to do with them.

Technically, we’re all risking life and limb just getting out of bed in the morning. Where’s my compensation!?
This may just be the stupidest post in WR history. I’m going to ask @CoralSpringsCat and @IGNORE2 to check the archives to make sure. But did you just say those who play college football have few physical ailments? Are you out of your mind?

I played for one year of college. I tore my post-labrum and never received a real diagnosis from the medical staff because they needed bodies to practice. I’m fairly certain I partially tore my ACL that year too. My right hip hurts like hell and I already have early osteoarthritis in both knees. When I squat under my normal bodyweight both knees crunch. Somehow I developed bone spurs in my back so had to stop lifting. I was thankful to suffer only one concussion playing football back in the early 2000s (when no one cared about them).

And this is from one season! A lot of guys suffer much worse. But again you’re out of your depth to suggest the college game is a walk in the park.

Last edited:
This may just be the stupidest post in WR history. I’m going to ask @CoralSpringsCat and @IGNORE2 to check the archives to make sure. But did you just say those who play college football have few physical ailments? Are you out of your mind?

I played for one year of college. I tore my post-labrum and never received a real diagnosis from the medical staff because they needed bodies to practice. I’m fairly certain I partially tore my ACL that year too. My right hip hurts like hell and I already have early osteoarthritis in both knees. When I squat under my normal bodyweight both knees crunch. Somehow I developed bone spurs in my back so had to stop lifting. I was thankful to suffer only one concussion playing football back in the early 2000s (when no one cared about them).

And this is from one season! A lot of guys suffer much worse. But again you’re out of your depth to suggest the college game is a walk in the park. So STFU.
I appreciate your perspective and shows why Kain Colter's movement wasn't entirely without merit. But that last sentence is kind of harsh. Isn't this a discussion board? I want different voices to be heard, not shut up.

Sure. Anyone can learn to be a star athlete and "do something better than everyone else" so that they can get a free ride scholarship. You just have to "learn" it. Ridiculous.
Well, people that earned any type of scholarship very likely worked extremely hard to get to that point. Top Football players, musicians, academic wizards etc. are not ordained at birth. Earn! The argument that “ you got your’s with a full ride scholarship” puts you in the camp of setting the market for that particular skill set. This is America and you are not King. The argument smacks of jealousy.

Reactions: CatManTrue
I appreciate your perspective and shows why Kain Colter's movement wasn't entirely without merit. But that last sentence is kind of harsh. Isn't this a discussion board? I want different voices to be heard, not shut up.
You’re right. I apologize if that was overboard. I was up late as one of my kids was in the hospital. Using “STFO” is an awful post ender for a message board in a free speech country.

Everyone who plays the game know it takes a toll. I’ll do more yoga to heal up and stop complaining. I’m gonna take a break from the board for a bit. Go Cats.

And this is from one season! A lot of guys suffer much worse. But again you’re out of your depth to suggest the college game is a walk in the park.

Dumb. Just because YOU had issues, doesn’t mean every kid who plays football in his youth has long lasting issues. I know so many people that played football through college that have no ailments whatsoever. Of course some do, just like every sport. They’re definitely not risking life and limb. It might seem crazy to you, but they actually choose to play. Nobody is making them! Unreal, huh?

Dumb. Just because YOU had issues, doesn’t mean every kid who plays football in his youth has long lasting issues. I know so many people that played football through college that have no ailments whatsoever. Of course some do, just like every sport. They’re definitely not risking life and limb. It might seem crazy to you, but they actually choose to play. Nobody is making them! Unreal, huh?
You’re right VA. It’s a harmless game.

mcgahee.jpg

kneebend.gif

7b06fa4dd2e641463972d798eb52e41b

Well, people that earned any type of scholarship very likely worked extremely hard to get to that point. Top Football players, musicians, academic wizards etc. are not ordained at birth. Earn! The argument that “ you got your’s with a full ride scholarship” puts you in the camp of setting the market for that particular skill set. This is America and you re not King. The argument smacks of jealousy.
I've already expressed in multiple posts my reasons for being opposed to the huge sums of money students can earn from NIL for doing essentially nothing except endorsing a product or service that they probably don't even use. It's phony from top to bottom.

Here are some of my earlier posts that express this position quite clearly:
-----
Lots of downsides to NIL and in my opinion no real upsides. Unless, of course, you think that money is the most important thing an 18 your old needs.
-----
There is nothing wrong with our economic system. It's the degradation of morals and values that is the problem with this country now. And paying an 18 year old a million dollars for having done nothing to deserve it is a prime example.
-----
And therein lies the fallacy with the whole NIL idea. There is no real worth in it. It is all phony.
-----
But they are not playing for 'peanuts', as you put it. They are receiving scholarships and expenses coverage worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.
-----
Football players receiving things of value from local businesses is not new. Some of the best examples date back about 10 years ago to Ohio State where players were getting cars and free tattoos. Only back then the players didn't have to say anything publicly to get these freebies. It was all under the table, because it was illegal.

So now it's been changed and all the players have to do is say publicly that they like the company that is going to give them them gift. That's it. Now the exact same thing that used to be illegal is perfectly legal provided the player declares his approval of the company giving him the gift.

And that begs the next question. Suppose a company wants to give a player money or a gift, but the player never makes a public statement endorsing that company. Can the company do that if they want? Or is it totally predicated on the player saying something nice first?

And that raises the next question. How often can the company give a gift to the player and how often does he have to repeat his praise for them? If he says something nice one time, can the company keep giving him things year after year?

I've already expressed in multiple posts my reasons for being opposed to the huge sums of money students can earn from NIL for doing essentially nothing except endorsing a product or service that they probably don't even use. It's phony from top to bottom.

Here are some of my earlier posts that express this position quite clearly:
-----
Lots of downsides to NIL and in my opinion no real upsides. Unless, of course, you think that money is the most important thing an 18 your old needs.
-----
There is nothing wrong with our economic system. It's the degradation of morals and values that is the problem with this country now. And paying an 18 year old a million dollars for having done nothing to deserve it is a prime example.
-----
And therein lies the fallacy with the whole NIL idea. There is no real worth in it. It is all phony.
-----
But they are not playing for 'peanuts', as you put it. They are receiving scholarships and expenses coverage worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.
-----
Football players receiving things of value from local businesses is not new. Some of the best examples date back about 10 years ago to Ohio State where players were getting cars and free tattoos. Only back then the players didn't have to say anything publicly to get these freebies. It was all under the table, because it was illegal.

So now it's been changed and all the players have to do is say publicly that they like the company that is going to give them them gift. That's it. Now the exact same thing that used to be illegal is perfectly legal provided the player declares his approval of the company giving him the gift.

And that begs the next question. Suppose a company wants to give a player money or a gift, but the player never makes a public statement endorsing that company. Can the company do that if they want? Or is it totally predicated on the player saying something nice first?

And that raises the next question. How often can the company give a gift to the player and how often does he have to repeat his praise for them? If he says something nice one time, can the company keep giving him things year after year?
Yes, you have posted multiple times on the topic and I am clear about your position. Pretty sure you are clear about mine too.

As I round 50, I have had at least six surgeries related to early life athletics from high school through law school. I have some arthritis in those areas and my pitching hand knuckles hurt every night and are useless in early morning.

I acknowledge football, and my rugby days, potentially contribute more than all my other sports - I was lucky in those.

That said, the foolishly young that voluntarily subject our bodies to that punishment. For whatever reasons. Guess we weren’t that bright.

Nobody has to play ball. Any ball. Is a choice and now more and more compensation options unfold. After high school, athletes are pros in my mind, especially in power five, moreso in the B1G.

Negotiating after the fact is weak imho. Many have our deeply rooted wounds and now we simply have to endure. The following generations should learn from our mistakes - if not, so be it. Eventually, the young will learn and change will happen.

Yeah. I think we have gone back and forth on this more than enough times. Nothing is likely to change by continuing. Time to wrap it up. Thanks.
Here is the key point: collegiate athletics, at its core, is simply entertainment. Just like the NFL. That’s it.

Should 18 year old movie & television actors stop getting paid since they haven’t “earned it”? How about instead of getting paid millions to be on TikTok, they get paid peanuts in comparison by way of a college scholarship, room, and board?

You seem to believe there is some higher moral ground intrinsic with college athletics. There simply isn’t. So let the players get paid what they will, and not what benefits the NFL, NBA, and overpaid head coaches / athletic directors.

Here is the key point: collegiate athletics, at its core, is simply entertainment. Just like the NFL. That’s it.

Should 18 year old movie & television actors stop getting paid since they haven’t “earned it”? How about instead of getting paid millions to be on TikTok, they get paid peanuts in comparison by way of a college scholarship, room, and board?

You seem to believe there is some higher moral ground intrinsic with college athletics. There simply isn’t. So let the players get paid what they will, and not what benefits the NFL, NBA, and overpaid head coaches / athletic directors.
I thought that we had wrapped this up already after going back and forth so many times. But you insist on opening it up again, which is not surprising since it's very typical of you to be provocative beyond the rest of us. You must have gotten bored with everything else and decided to start up this all over again.

I'm not going to go into a whole new debate again, but will simply say your starting premise is entirely wrong:

"Here is the key point: collegiate athletics, at its core, is simply entertainment. Just like the NFL. That’s it."

I feel sorry for you, since you seem to see the world entirely in terms of money and appear to have no sense of other aspects of human endeavors. If you don't see the intrinsic value of competitive sports between colleges by now, then you never will.

There is really no point in continuing this discussion with you.

Reactions: StreamCat
Here is the key point: collegiate athletics, at its core, is simply entertainment. Just like the NFL. That’s it...
I wrote an article in the local paper during the Rose Bowl season about what Northwestern football has meant to my family. NU football unites us as family. We have now produced our 5th generation of NU football fans. I still look to the East side of the stadium where as a boy I sat with my dad and grandfather now both dead. Ryan/Dyche stadium is a ritual for the family. Ritual is mystical. Paraphrasing Chesterton, ritual is the democracy of the dead as they get a vote. And entertainment? You dismiss it as if we don’t need it. Yeah, let’s trudge through life’s drudgery with no escape. Yes, my friend, football has intrinsics that aren't immediately apparent.

Reactions: CaliforniaCat
The NIL presents issues, but there was really nothing anyone could have done about it. Keeping an individual from making money off of their name would never hold up in court. As long as the athlete isn’t using the school name they can’t be stopped. There’s no collective bargaining agreement and schools can’t ban together as that would be an anti-trust violation.
Also do address some of those who posted, the school makes no money from a player’s NIL. OSU would have actually preferred Ewers graduated with his class as they recruited based on him coming to Columbus next year.
Sorry if this was already addressed

Reactions: CatManTrue
Lol, go to State school or get better.
NU prides itself on being diverse except the one group not represented nowdays is the middle class. For the poor, the aid is grants. For the middle class it is loans. At the time I paid to go at list price. But now? Not a financial decision I would make

The effects are across the country. One aspect of this is that male % of student population is down to 40.5% and still trending down. Not really a good trend

No. We don't agree at all that NIL makes it any fairer for college football players. Because you are wrong that they 'used to play for relatively nothing'.

They, in fact, played for scholarships and living expenses that are valued at hundreds of thousands of dollars over four or five years. About $100,000 per year. That is a very generous and fair arrangement.
Especially since there are no taxes incurred. The true income it would take for a middle class student is something like $150K or more per year. Middle class student (or parents) have to pay it

I wrote an article in the local paper during the Rose Bowl season about what Northwestern football has meant to my family. NU football unites us as family. We have now produced our 5th generation of NU football fans. I still look to the East side of the stadium where as a boy I sat with my dad and grandfather now both dead. Ryan/Dyche stadium is a ritual for the family. Ritual is mystical. Paraphrasing Chesterton, ritual is the democracy of the dead as they get a vote. And entertainment? You dismiss it as if we don’t need it. Yeah, let’s trudge through life’s drudgery with no escape. Yes, my friend, football has intrinsics that aren't immediately apparent.
I’m not saying that we don’t need entertainment.

I am saying that the college football players who risk their health for our entertainment should be adequately compensated, and that they currently aren’t. I’m also saying that the NIL is a positive step in that direction.

I’m glad you have those happy memories with your family as a fan. Do you recall how many times you saw a teenager writhing in pain on the field, much like a bug caught in @Gladeskat ’s grasp? Did you ever care what happened to them after that, or just use the injury timeout as an opportunity to get more popcorn?

Especially since there are no taxes incurred. The true income it would take for a middle class student is something like $150K or more per year. Middle class student (or parents) have to pay it
But that is not a true statement. It’s not like the NU degree is a guarantee for anything.

I know of one of Fitz’s graduates who’s a union pipewelder. Another OL under Randy Walker who does landscaping. Several others under both coaches who joined the military and have secondary careers due moreso to that than their NU degree. They could each have done these things without ever stepping foot in Evanston.

So the NU degree is NOT INCOME. It is an expensive piece of paper. You don’t even need to graduate from high school to work for Elon Musk. So how are these CFB players being compensated $150K in your mind?

I’m not saying that we don’t need entertainment.

I am saying that the college football players who risk their health for our entertainment should be adequately compensated, and that they currently aren’t. I’m also saying that the NIL is a positive step in that direction.

I’m glad you have those happy memories with your family as a fan. Do you recall how many times you saw a teenager writhing in pain on the field, much like a bug caught in @Gladeskat ’s grasp? Did you ever care what happened to them after that, or just use the injury timeout as an opportunity to get more popcorn?
You've managed to twist this around so much that you have it completely backwards.

Your assertion that "college football players risk their health for our entertainment" is absurd. College football players choose to do so because they enjoy the sport and in some cases are able to get a full or partial scholarship. And for a few it can lead to a career in professional sports.

You make it sound like these are some sort of monkeys or lions or elephants who are trapped in a circus to entertain us. Nothing could be further from the truth.

You've managed to twist this around so much that you have it completely backwards.

Your assertion that "college football players risk their health for our entertainment" is absurd. College football players choose to do so because they enjoy the sport and in some cases are able to get a full or partial scholarship. And for a few it can lead to a career in professional sports.

You make it sound like these are some sort of monkeys or lions or elephants who are trapped in a circus to entertain us. Nothing could be further from the truth.
They are not circus animals.

Football players, boxers, wrestlers, and UFC fighters are modern day gladiators.

Huge difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT