ADVERTISEMENT

Any update on Falzon?

Kat burglar

Sep 5, 2017
He's been in uniform for the past month but has not seen any minutes. Does anyone have any info on his status? Is he hurt again?

Ash must still be hurt as he did not suit up for Iowa.

Its too bad for both of these guys.

He's been in uniform for the past month but has not seen any minutes. Does anyone have any info on his status? Is he hurt again?

Yeah, Ash was again not dressed at Rutger. Wonder if he is done?

Falzon played in rhe Michigan game.

Is there a chance he isn’t offered a fifth year? It appears that NU will use fewer than 13 scholarships, but NU has also been historically active in the grad transfer market.

Alternatively, is there a chance he’ll test the waters and find a lower-level opportunity? His skill set fits great at Holy Cross <ducks>.

Injuries are the worst. Dude scored 270 points as a freshman, and has score 161 since.

Is there a chance he isn’t offered a fifth year? It appears that NU will use fewer than 13 scholarships, but NU has also been historically active in the grad transfer market.

Alternatively, is there a chance he’ll test the waters and find a lower-level opportunity? His skill set fits great at Holy Cross <ducks>.

Injuries are the worst. Dude scored 270 points as a freshman, and has score 161 since.

Barring some major talent demanding the slot, I think you keep anyone who can shoot and hope he earns PT.

Falzon is healthy just not playing

Ash is focusing on getting his knee 100% after trying to push through at less than that his senior year
I wouldn’t count on Falzon getting a fifth year. NU will have met it’s obligation on a four year scholarship at the end of this year. I’m sure he graduates and if he wants to play a fifth year somewhere else so be it. I must admit I have never been high on him. Poor ball handler and dribbler with limited or no lateral movement. I’m sure he is a good guy though. The two big freshmen ( Kopp and Nance ) are far better prospects for the future.
I think Ash has already played in to many games this year to redshirt but I may be wrong. Again I don’t know if he would get a fifth year if he was redshirted.

I wouldn’t count on Falzon getting a fifth year. NU will have met it’s obligation on a four year scholarship at the end of this year. I’m sure he graduates and if he wants to play a fifth year somewhere else so be it. I must admit I have never been high on him. Poor ball handler and dribbler with limited or no lateral movement. I’m sure he is a good guy though. The two big freshmen ( Kopp and Nance ) are far better prospects for the future.
I think Ash has already played in to many games this year to redshirt but I may be wrong. Again I don’t know if he would get a fifth year if he was redshirted.
It depends on what the alternatives are. If you open up that slot we would have to bring in another in the class or another grad transfer. Don't like to have to have 5 in one class. Now if a couple are grad transfers, OK but if all Frosh, really makes it hard to compete

Ash has played 10 games, and the rule is no more than 30% of the team's games to be eligible for a medical red shirt. So he is right on the borderline for the 31 game regular season.

Medical Hardship Requirements
To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:

• The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
  • The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
  • The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
  • The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.
All of these must be proven with documentation. That means medical documentation to prove the injury and that it was season-ending and participation information to show that the student-athlete did not play in too many contests.

https://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/17/how-get-medical-redshirt.htm

He's a player that could make an instant difference. Maybe he just needs to get healthiER.

If he can just finish the season at the level he's already shown, NU will beg him to play another year. IT COULD HAPPEN! GO CATS!
i doubt collins brings him back
cant make shots.

Do we think that it would be better or worse for the program to bring back Falzon and Ash for a fifth year, or let them try out a fifth year elsewhere?

Do we think that it would be better or worse for the program to bring back Falzon and Ash for a fifth year, or let them try out a fifth year elsewhere?

We have two written and one verbal commit to replace two out of eligibity and the slot. Still at least one more out of eligibility.

Empty schollies are a waste and an humiliation. And we have seats to still fill in this next class or we expand the Honorary Vacant Vassar schollie to two+.

I think the better question is whether Falzon has informed CCC that he will be leaving a la RI.

Sure hope CCC has his good recruiting shoes on. He needs frosh and transfers and guards and bigs. He really needs to get this program to have some definition.

Unless there are other, better players, bring 'em back. I doubt Ash will be eligible for a medical shirt though.

We have two written and one verbal commit to replace two out of eligibity and the slot. Still at least one more out of eligibility.

Empty schollies are a waste and an humiliation. And we have seats to still fill in this next class or we expand the Honorary Vacant Vassar schollie to two+.

I think the better question is whether Falzon has informed CCC that he will be leaving a la RI.

Sure hope CCC has his good recruiting shoes on. He needs frosh and transfers and guards and bigs. He really needs to get this program to have some definition.
I feel there will be a fourth scholarship in this class probably a shooting or combo guard, which would make four new players or a total of eleven. In my opinion if anyone comes back it’s Ash, but he may not be eligible. Two graduate guys, one of whom is big to help out Benson in there. Or just get another big guy and red shirt him.
Maybe you can get a junior transfer who has to get back to family and he could play right away a la Mark Smith from Illinois to Missouri.

He's a player that could make an instant difference. Maybe he just needs to get healthiER.

Post of the year!

Let’s ride Falzon’s broad shoulders and wide smile to the Big Dance!

Instant difference-maker!

Last edited:
Can Ash get a medical shirt and come back? I realize he may not be a star but if we have a schollie, can always use senior leadership and ball handling.

Yes, I believe the plan is to redshirt him. Unclear if that means he would come back, transfer, or just be done though.

In radio postgame, Collins sure didnt sound like a guy who's about to boot Falzon. He called his feeling about Falzon's game tonight "pretty emotional."

I guess Falzon had an injury early this year and fell out of the rotation. He said both have had "some really good meetings" in the last couple weeks.

We've heard the "he's dead to me" act from Collins. I dont think his tone was anything close to that tonight.

I've been far from a Falzon fan, but how could anyone not be really happy for him tonight. Good for him!!!!! Keep it coming!!

I’m going to be a stand up guy and make the statement that I was wrong. If he can come any where near to that performance last night he stays without a doubt. Here is hoping he stays healthy and we can get 20 minutes out of him and some three pointers. I stand corrected.

Reactions: drewjin and NJCat
I’m going to be a stand up guy and make the statement that I was wrong. If he can come any where near to that performance last night he stays without a doubt. Here is hoping he stays healthy and we can get 20 minutes out of him and some three pointers. I stand corrected.

If he plays well going forward the question becomes does he grad transfer if he thinks Nance and Kopp will play over him next season or at least limit his minutes. But let’s hope we have that problem of him playing so well we need to convince him to stay.

Great night for Falzon last night, and I'm happy for him and the Cats. But let's not over-react to one game. He's a career 38 percent shooter. And shooting was what he was brought in to do. I would not be surprised to see him come back simply because NU hasn't been able to fill its available scholarships for awhile now, and he's a serviceable player with experience who is capable of the occasional big night.

Reactions: Sec.112
Honestly, I don’t even care if he does it again.

Life is about moments of great joy, and he got an unforgettable moment or three last night. Even his heat-check airball was awesome.

Realistically, he’s earned his way into the rotation when healthy, and I hope he gets about 5ppg the rest of the way.

Great night for Falzon last night, and I'm happy for him and the Cats. But let's not over-react to one game. He's a career 38 percent shooter. And shooting was what he was brought in to do. I would not be surprised to see him come back simply because NU hasn't been able to fill its available scholarships for awhile now, and he's a serviceable player with experience who is capable of the occasional big night.

We may never see Falzon have a big night again. But he is the only guy since Shurna who can take over a game from 3 in that way. He is tall with a very quick release so when he gets going it's very tough to impact his shot. That is a variable we have not had in a long time. Nance could absolutely be that when he gets comfortable but haven't seen it so far.

In radio postgame, Collins sure didnt sound like a guy who's about to boot Falzon. He called his feeling about Falzon's game tonight "pretty emotional."

I guess Falzon had an injury early this year and fell out of the rotation. He said both have had "some really good meetings" in the last couple weeks.

We've heard the "he's dead to me" act from Collins. I dont think his tone was anything close to that tonight.

I've been far from a Falzon fan, but how could anyone not be really happy for him tonight. Good for him!!!!! Keep it coming!!
He injured an ankle. Probably the infamous "high ankle sprain" and that sidelined him for the first month of the season when Nance and Kopp were getting minutes that might have been his. Nance got sick and he got his shot. And with him, you saw the difference between a guy with 4 years at this level and a true Frosh. His D was pretty solid by comparison with what I remember from his Frosh year

Last edited:
Reactions: NUCat320
38% is better than anyone else we have on the squad. And that was primarily from his Frosh year and don't a lot of guys tend to improve between Frosh and ...? Could we anticipate closer to 45%? His D was much improved and puts him ahead of Nance at this point and probably Kopp as well. His improved D is what is likely to get him minutes ahead of the Frosh

Reactions: drewjin

I was so happy for Falzon bc he changed the game and brought the whole team up when it was giving another uninspired Iowa type performance. Falzon is taller than Pardon, he is probably the best shooter on the team and his presence on the floor if he can hit 2 or 3 threes could change games. I know he is a career 38 percent shooter but that's kind of a ridiculous stat since he has not played in a few years. Lets just enjoy the moment on this. Falzon maybe the silver lining to the Nance illness cloud. A real threat from that spot could change games. He played ok defense last night. The Cats even got a few calls from the refs at home. They beat Indiana and regardless of who is playing for Indiana, they beat Indiana. The best part of it all, the Cats hit back to back threes when the Indiana fans started the IU chant!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT