ADVERTISEMENT

Any word on the allotment sales?

FeralFelidae

Sep 1, 2003
Just curious. I know lots of folks here are buying outside the allotment, so I'm not trying to start that argument here.

I seem to remember NU underwhelmed at the last Outback Bowl and I know many people didn't make the Pinstripe Bowl. NU needs a strong showing this time if we're going to convince the upper bowls that we still travel well. (The case was easier to make before the Pinstripe and most recent Outback Bowls.)

Just curious. I know lots of folks here are buying outside the allotment, so I'm not trying to start that argument here.

I seem to remember NU underwhelmed at the last Outback Bowl and I know many people didn't make the Pinstripe Bowl. NU needs a strong showing this time if we're going to convince the upper bowls that we still travel well. (The case was easier to make before the Pinstripe and most recent Outback Bowls.)

Seemed like a decent turn out of Purple from my view in Right Field.

Seemed like a decent turn out of Purple from my view in Right Field.
Did we ever hear any figures on how much of our allotment we sold for the Pinstripe?

I didn't say that nobody attended the Pinstripe, just that I know many who did not. I'll just tell you that the Pinstripe was the first ever bowl (including the first Rose) that NOBODY from my family attended. We're all going to this one. Based on that, I can't believe it was our strongest showing.

I am sure that any "official" word from the NU Athletic/Ticket Departments will be that the sales were great. My main objection with buying form the NU allotment is that they expect you to pay first and then let you know where they decided to seat you. If I am going to go to the time and expense to go to a Bowl game I don't want to be stuck in the corner of the end zone and not be able to tell see what is going on over most of the field. At least with the ticket brokers one can know what they are buying.

I am sure that any "official" word from the NU Athletic/Ticket Departments will be that the sales were great. My main objection with buying form the NU allotment is that they expect you to pay first and then let you know where they decided to seat you. If I am going to go to the time and expense to go to a Bowl game I don't want to be stuck in the corner of the end zone and not be able to tell see what is going on over most of the field. At least with the ticket brokers one can know what they are buying.
It's not my intention here to try to shame people into buying from the allotment. There are perfectly valid reasons why someone who's going through the cost and effort of attending the bowl game would like to guarantee a good seat. I think just attending the game still helps NU's case, adding to the visuals of purple in the stands and eating in restaurants and such.

That being said, the allotment is the one, measurable metric that always gets thrown around and I'd like to know how NU is doing this time. I never heard that NU sold out its Pinstripe allotment so I'm sure we didn't (surely we would have heard otherwise). With the proximity of Nashville, it would seem achievable this time.

Make sure your ticket rep knows this. I think they do it this way because "this is the way we've always done it." Lots of advances in online ticketing tech since the 96 Rose Bowl...they could just as easily grant graduated ticket access based on purple points, so for example, 100+ purple points and you have immediate access to NU's allotment; 48 hours later, 90 points or more get access, etc.

It's not my intention here to try to shame people into buying from the allotment. There are perfectly valid reasons why someone who's going through the cost and effort of attending the bowl game would like to guarantee a good seat. I think just attending the game still helps NU's case, adding to the visuals of purple in the stands and eating in restaurants and such.

That being said, the allotment is the one, measurable metric that always gets thrown around and I'd like to know how NU is doing this time. I never heard that NU sold out its Pinstripe allotment so I'm sure we didn't (surely we would have heard otherwise). With the proximity of Nashville, it would seem achievable this time.
Probably little to report to date, today is the deadline for allocation using priority points. Aside from this feature, and a very limited impact on parking assignments, do priority points have any value?

The local news media in the host city have tended to be our usual source of news on ticket sales. NU doesn’t announce progress. Given the marginality of the seats, the mysteries of the secret workings of priority points and the obvious option of better seats, pricing and transparency via online brokers it is increasingly more of a challenge for NU to sell its allotment. They are, after all, dealing with Northwestern fans.

Probably little to report to date, today is the deadline for allocation using priority points. Aside from this feature, and a very limited impact on parking assignments, do priority points have any value?

The local news media in the host city have tended to be our usual source of news on ticket sales. NU doesn’t announce progress. Given the marginality of the seats, the mysteries of the secret workings of priority points and the obvious option of better seats, pricing and transparency via online brokers it is increasingly more of a challenge for NU to sell its allotment. They are, after all, dealing with Northwestern fans.

They also advertise ticket brokers at Ryan Field.

The advertising is working.

Reactions: julescat
I used to be very 'pro allotment' as well. However, I was buying those tickets and selling them or giving them away to other Cat fans. At the cost of those tickets, and the price of everything else for a bowl trip, I want to actually be able to see the game. It is frustrating to pay jacked up airline and hotel costs, as well as much more expensive ticket prices, to then sit in the corner or end zone when my season tickets have me on the 35 at home. When I'm on Stubhub and comparing seat views from adjacent sections, going back and forth considering rows and seat numbers (if available) to determine exactly where I want to sit, it's hard to buy from the allotment which gives you a round about generalization of the locations for 2 or 3x the price, and then just hope it works out.

I'm a bad fan. :,(

Last edited:
Reactions: NCRNU71
For those of us not attending the bowl game are there opportunities to buy tickets for donation? I think I’ve done that in the past.
You can order tickets for yourself (although the deadline to do it using point status ended today) or you can also buy to donate at nusports.com.

Last edited:
Thanks. I don’t need the points. Just want to help with our official numbers of tickets sold and hopefully my tickets will go to a good cause like someone in the military or an NU fan.

Non-NY6/playoff bowls are for the die hard fans...which we know we don’t have a ton of. Although I would’ve been very interested to see if we did well attending a California Bowl.

I will never, ever in my life forget standing in the Rose Bowl in my end zone seat and seeing what must have been 60,000 purple fans wrapping more than halfway around the stadium. That will not happen unless we get back to Pasadena or the playoff.

I have no special insight into MCB sales, aside from noting that a decent number of my friends are planning to attend, compared to previous bowls.

On the larger point, though, I've been to every NU bowl game since Motor City (except for the one in Dallas). Our purple contingent has fluctuated in size, but is often very respectable and loud. Based on my recollection, these were the biggest and smallest NU turnouts:

Big: Alamo (vs Mizzou), Outback (vs Auburn), Gator (vs MSU). All were 10k+

Decent: Pinstripe (vs Pitt), Motor City (vs BGSU), Sun (vs UCLA) -- maybe 8-10k

Small: Houston (vs aTm), Outback (vs Tenn) 5-7k

I really hope our fans turn out well in Nashville. A chance for 10 wins is exciting &
home attendance left much to be desired this year. For what it's worth, at the link below, local media reports that 45k MCB tickets have been sold and the bowl expects ~50k in total sales. A bowl rep is quoted saying UK will bring 20k+, whereas NU is expected to bring 5-8k. Would be nice to be on the high end of that prediction, or even exceed it.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/spo...ficials-expect-sale-50-000-tickets/923792001/

Last edited:
I have no special insight into MCB sales, aside from noting that a decent number of my friends are planning to attend, compared to previous bowls.

On the larger point, though, I've been to every NU bowl game since Motor City (except for the one in Dallas). Our purple contingent has fluctuated in size, but is often very respectable and loud. Based on my recollection, these were the biggest and smallest NU turnouts:

I really hope our fans turn out well in Nashville. A chance for 10 wins is exciting &
home attendance left much to be desired this year. For what it's worth, at the link below, local media reports that 45k MCB tickets have been sold and the bowl expects ~50k in total sales. A bowl rep is quoted saying UK will bring 20k+, whereas NU is expected to bring 5-8k. Would be nice to be on the high end of that prediction, or even exceed it.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/spo...ficials-expect-sale-50-000-tickets/923792001/
One thing I do like about the Bowl crowds is they tend to be skewed toward the louder of our fans.

I also remember Outback (Auburn) being one of our best turnouts. I think Pinstripe last year was pretty good (prob a bit over 10k), though because of the cold weather maybe it wasn't as noisy of a crowd, also because of that most people had more coats on and the purple presence wasn't as visible. And the structure of the baseball stadium relative to the football field resulted in our fans being more spread out / less concentrated.

I would put Outback (Tennessee) in the medium / decent category, but there were just a huge # of Tenn fans so we were still quite outnumbered, and there was essentially nothing to cheer about in that game.

Think both the Texas bowls were on the lower side, as those were not exactly marquee matchups and we weren't expected to win either one.

Hearing mixed things this year thus far... would guess we are in the medium range, think we get to 8k or so.

Reactions: NJcatsfan
One thing I do like about the Bowl crowds is they tend to be skewed toward the louder of our fans.

I also remember Outback (Auburn) being one of our best turnouts. I think Pinstripe last year was pretty good (prob a bit over 10k), though because of the cold weather maybe it wasn't as noisy of a crowd, also because of that most people had more coats on and the purple presence wasn't as visible. And the structure of the baseball stadium relative to the football field resulted in our fans being more spread out / less concentrated.

I would put Outback (Tennessee) in the medium / decent category, but there were just a huge # of Tenn fans so we were still quite outnumbered, and there was essentially nothing to cheer about in that game.

Think both the Texas bowls were on the lower side, as those were not exactly marquee matchups and we weren't expected to win either one.

Hearing mixed things this year thus far... would guess we are in the medium range, think we get to 8k or so.
The other thing to remember was the last time we played Vandy in Nashville, our fans dominated noise-wise. Very good turn-out. I bought season tickets to Vandy that year so I was in what was supposed to be a Vandy section. We overran it. I actually felt sorry for the Vandy fans as they were clearly uncomfortable with the noise level.

The scarf given out at the Pinstripe Bowl was a god send

I would agree with these assessments. The Dallas game definitely fell into the "small" category. I remember going to the original Cotton Bowl and seeing a lot of silver (empty bleachers).

The NU crowds aligned with the excitement levels for those particular years. For those who see Outback vs. Tennessee as a peculiar outlier, I would just remind you that our 10-win season that year was grossly offset by three absolute blowouts, so many of us knew what was coming in the bowl game...but I went anyway.

Nashville presents an interesting case. Some people clearly see it as a snub, others seem to see it as a no-win game (beat a floundering SEC team or lose to them), and we're at a point where making it to a bowl game is no longer a novelty and something that can afford to be missed since we'll go somewhere again next year (hopefully!)

For my peace, I'll say that I'm thrilled we're heading to Nashville - a great destination city where a good time is to be had with or without football.

I would agree with these assessments. The Dallas game definitely fell into the "small" category. I remember going to the original Cotton Bowl and seeing a lot of silver (empty bleachers).

The NU crowds aligned with the excitement levels for those particular years. For those who see Outback vs. Tennessee as a peculiar outlier, I would just remind you that our 10-win season that year was grossly offset by three absolute blowouts, so many of us knew what was coming in the bowl game...but I went anyway.

Nashville presents an interesting case. Some people clearly see it as a snub, others seem to see it as a no-win game (beat a floundering SEC team or lose to them), and we're at a point where making it to a bowl game is no longer a novelty and something that can afford to be missed since we'll go somewhere again next year (hopefully!)

For my peace, I'll say that I'm thrilled we're heading to Nashville - a great destination city where a good time is to be had with or without football.
I have been to every bowl game since the Rose but I have never been to Nashville. I am excited about both the destination and the game. Go Cats!

Many people are purchasing tickets via secondary market and they're cheaper

There are usually several bowl events for fans two or three days before the game itself, but it doesn't look like Nashville has scheduled anything for the fans. Has anyone heard of any scheduled events? Other than for FloridAlum's lunch, of course.

There are usually several bowl events for fans two or three days before the game itself, but it doesn't look like Nashville has scheduled anything for the fans. Has anyone heard of any scheduled events? Other than for FloridAlum's lunch, of course.
Go to: www.musiccitybowl.com check on "calendar" to find scheduled events...lots going on but more for teams and coaches because they usually arrive earlier. Also, I have heard New Year's eve is a pretty good time if you like that sort of activity. Go Cats!

Go to: www.musiccitybowl.com check on "calendar" to find scheduled events...lots going on but more for teams and coaches because they usually arrive earlier. Also, I have heard New Year's eve is a pretty good time if you like that sort of activity. Go Cats!
Yeah you can find the brochure on their website. There is a hot chicken eat-off at Hattie B's (great place though long line usually) the afternoon of 12/28 I believe, and then a Battle of the Bands / pep rally that evening which probably will be solid. Day of game I would just presume lots of tailgating during the day (and Florida has his event). We are leaving AM of the 30th.

Reactions: CatFanEd

Looking at the schedule, I would say that Nashville is doing something new for fans by shutting down a few blocks for a "Fan Zone on Broadway" for 2 days: http://www.musiccitybowl.com/fan-zone/

Can't beat this as part of the event:
In conjunction with Butchery Fresh, Creation Gardens will be hosting a live-fire cooking area on Thursday and Friday featuring some of the city's best chefs fanning the flames! Food will be offered for free to passerby's downtown celebrating this year's Bowl game. You might even learn a thing or two and elevate your tailgating game to the next level.

It is not an official event but a few of us from the board are going out to dinner the night before the game at the Loveless Café, and anyone is welcome to join us. I intend to post something a little closer to the game.We did the same thing in 2010 for the Vandy game, started out with six of us, ended up being about 15. Got to go back and get some of their biscuits

The other thing to remember was the last time we played Vandy in Nashville, our fans dominated noise-wise. Very good turn-out. I bought season tickets to Vandy that year so I was in what was supposed to be a Vandy section. We overran it. I actually felt sorry for the Vandy fans as they were clearly uncomfortable with the noise level.

How many fans (numbers-wise) do you think we had at Vandy that year?

Vandy Stadium holds about 40,000. We probably had somewhere between 5,000 to 8,000 there. 8,000 might be a bit high but we were LOUD.
Yeah I'd say maybe 6k. Think I had organized a group of about 100 or so and we'd been tailgating for a solid handful of hours before the game. At the time a number of them were recently graduated marching band folks (and some still current I believe?) so I think we did our fair share to contribute to the noise creation.

I will always remember that game as the Dan Persa coming out party, it was a fun one.

When they disclosing seat location? Not to be belly aching, but it seems like NU could be smoother with bowl packages to tickets. I think people will pay a little more by going through NU, but it would be more people if this process was better planned.

When they disclosing seat location? Not to be belly aching, but it seems like NU could be smoother with bowl packages to tickets. I think people will pay a little more by going through NU, but it would be more people if this process was better planned.
Yes, though I think the constraints in this case come as much from the bowl than from NU.

Also, I think where the disconnect comes is the difference between playing a little more to participate in the allotment as you said, versus a lot more (which is what the case is this year).

Yes, though I think the constraints in this case come as much from the bowl than from NU.

Also, I think where the disconnect comes is the difference between playing a little more to participate in the allotment as you said, versus a lot more (which is what the case is this year).
It is about 3-4 times what I could get better tickets for locally. That hurts but I am expecting to be outnumbered and will enjoy the game more in a Northwestern section.

If we had 5-6k for a regular season game at Vandy, we should be able to beat that for a bowl game.
Well... It was early season, the weather was beautiful and the game was Saturday evening. I am hoping that you are right.

Non-NY6/playoff bowls are for the die hard fans...which we know we don’t have a ton of. Although I would’ve been very interested to see if we did well attending a California Bowl.

I will never, ever in my life forget standing in the Rose Bowl in my end zone seat and seeing what must have been 60,000 purple fans wrapping more than halfway around the stadium. That will not happen unless we get back to Pasadena or the playoff.
That was an epic sight to behold, wasn't it, FanatiCat? If I live to be my age, I'll never forget it. :cool:

Reactions: ricko654321
It is about 3-4 times what I could get better tickets for locally. That hurts but I am expecting to be outnumbered and will enjoy the game more in a Northwestern section.
. . . . . but you'll be sitting with better people. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT