ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody catch this NU pub from 538 yesterday?

I will be curious to see how tomorrow's game ranks as far as viewership goes. As the article points out, it is in prime time, and every fanbase of a team with a shot at the Playoff will be a Northwestern fan for a night.

We've actually had some highly rated games this year, including one of our more highly rated games of the past 10 years:

Michigan (FOX) - 3.618 million
Nebraska (ABC) - 2.450 million
Wisconsin (FOX) - 2.241 million
Purdue (ESPN) - 1.741 million
Michigan State (FS1) - 620 thousand
Duke (ESPNU) - 337 thousand

For some reference, our top 4 games of the Fitz era (AFAIK):

2013 Ohio State (ABC) - 7.36 million
2008 Missouri (ESPN) - 6.076 million
2010 Auburn (ESPN) - 5.685 million
2017 Kentucky (ESPN) - 4.626 million

(Sidenote: this is why I stress winning bowl games, they're often our highest rated game of the season and when we get the most non-Big Ten viewers to impress)

For this game, I'd imagine it looks similar to our Ohio State/Michigan games which typically draw a number in the 3-4 million range. Then again there's a lot of hype in this game on the Notre Dame side and maybe a lot of people will think it's one of the few remaining chances they get knocked off, so that gives it a chance at 4+ million viewers.

On the opposite side, you do have Alabama-LSU starting a bit after our game, and that will be the most viewed of the night by far, but it shouldn't affect our game reaching the 3-4 million range at least.

Partially depends on whether Alabama-LSU is a blowout while our game is close, if so, we could reach 4-5 million viewers fairly easily.

Last edited:
Reactions: FightNorthwestern
I probably should have noted that our previous ND game was at 2.96 million viewers in 2014.

This will definitely be above that (ND higher ranked than 2014 and we're leading Big Ten West unlike 2014 when we were in a losing season), so 3-4 million is expected.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT