ADVERTISEMENT

Appreciation for JJ (whwn) TBC

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
With Justin Jackson’s last game there have appropriately been many appreciative posts of his years as JJTBC encompassing 1142 carries. After watching the final episodes of The Foundation that included remarks by him on the need to focus on excellence in every repetition, I realized I may miss him more for the plays when he was not the ball carrier (whwn). I don’t know if I have ever seen a running back with a better understanding of his responsibilities away from the ball, whether they were blocking, moving to a safety valve position, or acting as a decoy through a play action fake. I think Larkin will do a fine job taking a good number of Jackson’s carries, but he has huge shoes to fill on the plays where he is not carrying the ball. I hope he aspires to the same degree of excellence that Jackson brought to the field, but it is tough to replicate what may be a once in a lifetime player in those aspects of the game.

Without a doubt, his pass blocking and/or picking up the blitz were skills that showed heart, grit, brains and determination. His best runs were his 1 to 3 yard gains. My seats are pretty high. It has been a pleasure to watch him for 4 years. He was worth the price of admission.

We have had some incredible people and players play on the NU football team over the years, but it’s hard to imagine another coming around that is this impressive on the field AND off it. There may be better players on the field, there may be more accomplished off it, but it will take someone truly exceptional to be what JJ has been in both areas. Fitz said it right, he’s truly a once in a lifetime type of guy.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that blocking and passcatching weren’t big strengths of his a few years ago, but he became a true “three-down back” who could do it all by his senior year.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that blocking and passcatching weren’t big strengths of his a few years ago, but he became a true “three-down back” who could do it all by his senior year.

Passing to the running backs leaking out of the backfield was not a strength of CTs in prior years, imo. JJBTC has always been a strong blocker.

Passing to the running backs leaking out of the backfield was not a strength of CTs in prior years, imo. JJBTC has always been a strong blocker.

Eh... he struggled a lot in pass protection his first two years. Pretty typical for most running backs.

Never let the facts get in the way of the making of a legend. I will avoid a political comment here.

Eh... he struggled a lot in pass protection his first two years. Pretty typical for most running backs.

In his sophmore year, we had a QB who hardly threw the ball, so I don't know how you can judge his pass protection that year. Last two years, he's been fine compared to other RBs I've seen, never thought blocking was a weakness.

Jackson’s pass catching is still an area he needs significant improvement in if he wants to have a career in the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT