ADVERTISEMENT

Are the Lions going to win the NFC North?

The Tigers made a decent run around 2010. I remember my asshole friend from SF giving me a hard time when the Giants beat them in the WS

The Tigers made a decent run around 2010. I remember my asshole friend from SF giving me a hard time when the Giants beat them in the WS
Pablo Sandoval absolutely crushed it that series, and Verlander laid an egg. I really thought that was the Tigers year

Cincinnati fan here. We know long droughts of across the board sports futility in this town. Which makes me really happy for all those Detroit fans enjoying the Lions success.

GOUNUII
Are you like me in being a little nervous at how suddenly Cincinnati appears to be the media darlings again? Clearly they are better than their start, but they have dug such a hole once again that they need to be near perfect from here on out. This week against Buffalo will be big!

Are you like me in being a little nervous at how suddenly Cincinnati appears to be the media darlings again? Clearly they are better than their start, but they have dug such a hole once again that they need to be near perfect from here on out. This week against Buffalo will be big!
They might be perfect from here on out. Joe was hurt past 2 months and is just getting healthy now

I'm just happy they are fun to watch again. The difference between Joe at 80% and when he's fully healthy is ginormous and elevates the entire team.

GOUNUII

The Vikings are sticking around in the division, but today's Lion's comeback made me feel good.

The Vikings are sticking around in the division, but today's Lion's comeback made me feel good.
The first time that a team had a plus 3 in turnovers and held the ball for more than 40 minutes and lost.

Teams had been 48-0 until today.

Go Bears!!

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
The Lions finally did it. And they have a chance for a playoff game to go through Detroit.

I keep seeing moment and games where I think they are going to fall apart for the season, but here they are in second place in the NFC (as of typing this).

I just looked at the standings, and I think you are correct they will for sure host a game, but I think they could still end in forth.
Nope. Fourth will definitely be whichever team decides they want to win the tepid NFC South

The Lions got the shaft from the refs... AGAIN...

I mean, how many times can this happen the Lions.
Maybe the Cowboys cover #68 if he's announced as eligible. Nobody forced the Lions to go for 2 again (and again) after the penalty.

The Lions got the shaft from the refs... AGAIN...

I mean, how many times can this happen the Lions.
I was rooting for the Lions big at the end of the game but I can see where that play was a penalty risk. Multiple linemen went up to the ref and I think this was intentional in order to confuse the D. Unfortunately I think it then was not clear to the ref

Reactions: FeralFelidae
I was rooting for the Lions big at the end of the game but I can see where that play was a penalty risk. Multiple linemen went up to the ref and I think this was intentional in order to confuse the D. Unfortunately I think it then was not clear to the ref
They confused the ref. He needs to know who's eligible so that he can notify the defense. As Feral said, the Cowboys may have covered #68 if they had been told that he was an eligible receiver.

I'm not a Cowboys fan and would have been happy to see them lose, but it's on the Lions players to make sure the ref knows which linemen are eligible receivers.

I'm not a Cowboys fan and would have been happy to see them lose, but it's on the Lions players to make sure the ref knows which linemen are eligible receivers.
It’s on the Lions players to “tell” the ref who is eligible.
Not sure how they can be responsible for what he “knows”.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
It’s on the Lions players to “tell” the ref who is eligible.
Not sure how they can be responsible for what he “knows”.
The Lions knew the refs announced #70 as eligible, so they should've corrected them. Can't punish the Cowboys for that.

The Lions knew the refs announced #70 as eligible, so they should've corrected them. Can't punish the Cowboys for that.
Incorrect.

It is the offical’s job to pay attention and do their job and not assume. The player reporting as eligible still has to line up properly and repeatedly yelling at the ref draws attention to themselves and would distract them from doing their own job and ultimately defeat the purpose of the play.

Shoot, Dan Campbell even told the officials about this play prior to the game, as is customary when you are planning on running something like this.

Unfortunately, Brad Allen’s crew has been horrendous all season (KC-GB was particularly embarrassing) to the point NU alumnus and athletic reporter Kalyn Kahler tweeted teams are mortified when they get this crew.

The league needs full time referees. This part time nonsense is bush league for a multi billion dollar organization. No more lawyers screwing up the playoff picture.

Last edited:
Incorrect.

It is the offical’s job to pay attention and do their job. The player has to still line up and repeatedly screaming at the ref to make sure they do their job will draw attention to themselves and defeat the purpose of the play.

Dan Campbell even told the officials about this play prior to the game, as is customary when you are planning on running something like this.

Unfortunately, Brad Allen’s crew has been horrendous all season (KC-GB was particularly embarrassing) to the point NU alumnus and athletic reporter Kalyn Kahler tweeted teams are mortified when they get this crew.

The league needs full time referees. This part time nonsense is bush league for a multi billion dollar organization.
Run the play without the correct player announced as eligible? The Lions don't want to "draw attention" to that? How is that fair to the Cowboys?

Run the play without the correct player announced as eligible? The Lions don't want to "draw attention" to that? How is that fair to the Cowboys?
68 reported. There’s photos of him talking to the ref. This was not only confirmed by several Lions including (Decker, 68), but Dan Campbell told the crew that 68 was going to report prior on this play prior to the game. The ref said 70 was eligible even though he never reported probably because 70 had reported eligible earlier in the game.

To expect the Lions to correct the ref while trying to line up is absurd. Players aren’t listening to official announcements, they are lining up and trying to communicate over all the noise.

Officials are supposed to do their jobs. That’s really all there is to this. Brad Allen’s crew lacks competence and it seems like they are being pulled from the playoffs for it.

68 reported. There’s photos of him talking to the ref. This was not only confirmed by several Lions including (Decker, 68), but Dan Campbell told the crew that 68 was going to report prior on this play prior to the game. The ref said 70 was eligible even though he never reported probably because 70 had reported eligible earlier in the game.

To expect the Lions to correct the ref while trying to line up is absurd. Players aren’t listening to official announcements, they are lining up and trying to communicate over all the noise.

Officials are supposed to do their jobs. That’s really all there is to this. Brad Allen’s crew lacks competence and it seems like they are being pulled from the playoffs for it.
Again, how is that fair to the Cowboys? It's fair to run the play when it was announced to the Cowboys that 70 is eligible?

Again, how is that fair to the Cowboys? It's fair to run the play when it was announced to the Cowboys that 70 is eligible?
Perhaps it is not, but 70 was in an ineligible position to catch the ball based on where he lined up, even if he had reported. However, the Lions did everything correct, ran the play and scored. That is the fault of the Ref, and the Cowboys can take that up with the NFL with their loss.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
Perhaps it is not, but 70 was in an ineligible position to catch the ball based on where he lined up, even if he had reported. However, the Lions did everything correct, ran the play and scored. That is the fault of the Ref, and the Cowboys can take that up with the NFL with their loss.
68 was not announced as eligible and so he was not. The Lions knew this and had an opportunity to "draw attention" to it as an honorable opponent would. Instead they tried to be sneaky and it backfired.

Dallas had defenders to Decker’s side that got sucked up by the fake from Goff. Look at their reactions after the play. They knew they bit and left Decker (68) wide open. The announcement didn’t impact anything because 70 (Skipper) wasn’t drawing any real attention from the defense. Again, he was ineligible based on alignment and the Dallas defenders to that side knew it.

The Lions ran this same play for a TD in 2021 and we see OL eligible plays throughout the league every week.

This “fair to the Cowboys” argument is odd.

Dallas had defenders to Decker’s side that got sucked up by the fake from Goff. Look at their reactions after the play. They knew they bit and left Decker (68) wide open. The announcement didn’t impact anything because 70 didn’t draw any real attention. Again, he was ineligible based on alignment and the Dallas defenders to that side knew it.

The Lions ran this same play for a TD in 2021 and we see OL eligible plays throughout the league every week.

This “fair to the Cowboys” argument is odd.
I guess it doesn't matter who's announced as eligible! What are rules, anyway?

I guess it doesn't matter who's announced as eligible! What are rules, anyway?
Of course it does. That’s the point.

The official screwed the Lions by not announcing the player who actually declared as eligible. A clerical error on the part of Brad Allen may have changed four of the top five seeds in the NFC playoff picture. That’s bonkers.

Feral, I assume you are Cowboy fan? Otherwise, I have no idea why you are arguing this. Dallas should be thankful for the incompetence, because if not for the 2pt nonsense, the talking points would be centered on McCarthy’s boneheaded decisions to throw the ball on the previous drive.

Last edited:

The official screwed the Lions by not announcing the player who actually declared eligible. A clerical error on the part of Brad Allen could have potentially changed four of the top five seeds in the NFC playoff picture. That’s bonkers.

Feral, I assume you are Cowboy fan? Otherwise, I have no idea why you are arguing this.
Yes, so I have the perspective that the player who caught the pass was not announced to my team as an eligible receiver. Why are you even arguing this?

Yes, so I have the perspective that the player who caught the pass was not announced to my team as an eligible receiver. Why are you even arguing this?
I’m arguing the officials screwed the Lions out of a win on a clerical error of their own making, just like every non-Cowboys fan that watches NFL football and viewed that abomination.

FWIW, I don’t cheer for either team or any of the four impacted by this massive mistake from Brad Allen’s crew.

I’m arguing the officials screwed the Lions out of a win on a clerical error, just like every non-Cowboys fan that watches NFL football.

FWIW, I don’t cheer for either team or any of the four impacted by this massive mistake from Brad Allen’s crew.
Some non-Cowboys fans in this thread disagreed. Don't presume to speak for everybody.

Some non-Cowboys fans in this thread disagreed. Don't presume to speak for everybody.
Fair enough. Most everyone.

Just take the gift. As a Bears fan I know the Lions were screwed on the Calvin Johnson “didn’t complete the process” garbage in 2011. Detroit should have won that game, just like last night.

The bigger issue is that NFL continues to allow this nonsense to happen. Make the officials full time employees or allow for more reviewable scenarios.

The official screwed the Lions by not announcing the player who actually declared as eligible. A clerical error on the part of Brad Allen may have changed four of the top five seeds in the NFC playoff picture. That’s bonkers.

Feral, I assume you are Cowboy fan? Otherwise, I have no idea why you are arguing this. Dallas should be thankful for the incompetence, because if not for the 2pt nonsense, the talking points would be centered on McCarthy’s boneheaded decisions to throw the ball on the previous drive.
Ok, I agree that if in fact 68 reported as eligible but the ref announced the wrong number, 70, it is not the Lions’ responsibility to correct it because there was so much chaos and noise going on. Watching the Rex Ryan clip above is definitely more convincing. Ref botched this one. Frustrating.

Fair enough. Most everyone.

Just take the gift. As a Bears fan I know the Lions were screwed on the Calvin Johnson “didn’t complete the process” garbage in 2011. Detroit should have won that game, just like last night.

The bigger issue is that NFL continues to allow this nonsense to happen. Make the officials full time employees or allow for more reviewable scenarios.
That one I'm more sympathetic to. The Cowboys then lost in the playoffs (2014) on a similar call, so they got both sides of it.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1

The official screwed both teams. While I don’t think the Cowboys defense was affected by the official’s mistake, fact is that getting the wrong announcement *could* have affected them. The Lions did their job and had no reason to listen to the official’s announcement, which I assume is for the crowd and not the players. (The ‘official’ announcement came when the official spoke with the Dallas D-line.)

The NFL can’t make it right, but the NFL can sure issue a public statement reprimanding the official in addition to downgrading the crew. Whereas the Kadarius Toney call was objectively the right call and Toney didn’t do his job by checking with the official, here the Lions communicated with the official and the official didn’t listen.

Momentum is strange, and I was really surprised when the Lions went for it after the five yard penalty.

I do not think full-time officials would affect anything. Did this official not listen to the player speaking directly to him because he also has a 9-to-5?

For what it’s worth, I didn’t get a great understanding of what had happened during the game broadcast itself. Troy and Joe and Lil Austin spoke as if we should know who #68 and#70 are. No telestrator action during the broadcast that I recall. (My attention was divided, so maybe I missed it.)

What an opening drive for Detroit.
And then, following a “eff you, get off my teammate”* personal foul, they held LA to the FG anyway.

*Srsly, eff you Skowronek

dj-khaled-another-one.gif

Reactions: jne381
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT