ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Steve Albini RIP

Go Cats. Shocking and sad.

Shellac played a WNUR live set at Annie Mae Swift when I was there. The Rock Show kids were so worried about overfilling the venue (“we’ll have lines past The Arch”) that they didn’t promote it.

Maybe a dozen saw the show, including me for 15 minutes.

“A Prayer to God” by Shellac is perfect, though many who listen to it will judge me for this opinion.

Go Cats. Shocking and sad.

Shellac played a WNUR live set at Annie Mae Swift when I was there. The Rock Show kids were so worried about overfilling the venue (“we’ll have lines past The Arch”) that they didn’t promote it.

Maybe a dozen saw the show, including me for 15 minutes.

“A Prayer to God” by Shellac is perfect, though many who listen to it will judge me for this opinion.

He was in my class (84) and saw him quite a bit. I think back now to my sophomore year and my dorm (North Allison) was quite amazing. While Albini didn't live there, Nathan Kaatrud (AKA Nash Kato) who went on to Urge Overkill and Lyle Preslar of Minor Threat both did so Albini was around quite a bit. I think Preslar was involved in early versions of Big Black with Albini.

In a way not totally shocking as I believed he had health issues. Even back then he was one of the thinnest people you'll ever see.

Ok - again - no NUFB connection here. The NU prez talking to congress has a much closer relevance to this page… where’s the cap?

• Haha
Reactions: mountaindrew
@IGNORE2 I was so hoping that you were in this thread posting about how Mogwai and Don Caballero and especially The Wedding Present’s Seamonsters album changed your life.

Alas, just here to bitch.

This thread don’t get capped because it’s a non-controversial thread that’ll be read by the <20 people on the board who know Steve Albini. And the one guy here to bitch.

Do yourself a favor and dig this amazing Steve Albini-engineered production.

That hardass Albini made those foppish Brits come to Minnesota in January to make this beautiful bit of magic.

Last edited:
@IGNORE2 I was so hoping that you were in this thread posting about how Mogwai and Don Caballero and especially The Wedding Present’s Seamonsters album changed your life.

This thread don’t get capped because it’s a non-controversial thread that’ll be ready by the <20 people on the board who know Steve Albini. And the one guy here to bitch.

That hardass Albini made those foppish Brits come to Minnesota in January to make this beautiful bit of magic.

Such an amazing album. A WP show I saw at Lounge Ax sticks out as really the only show I saw where my ears were still ringing three days later lol.

• Love
Reactions: NUCat320
Such an amazing album. A WP show I saw at Lounge Ax sticks out as really the only show I saw where my ears were still ringing three days later lol.
Used to love the lounge ax. Also, @CappyNU has said nothing about controversial. He says unrelated = a capping. I just want him to admit he subjectively caps posts he is afraid of.

• Wow
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy

This thread don’t get capped because it’s a non-controversial thread that’ll be ready by the <20 people on the board who know Steve Albini. And the one guy here to bitch.

A Don Caballero reference! You don’t see those every day…especially on an NU message board.

He was in my class (84) and saw him quite a bit. I think back now to my sophomore year and my dorm (North Allison) was quite amazing. While Albini didn't live there, Nathan Kaatrud (AKA Nash Kato) who went on to Urge Overkill and Lyle Preslar of Minor Threat both did so Albini was around quite a bit. I think Preslar was involved in early versions of Big Black with Albini.

In a way not totally shocking as I believed he had health issues. Even back then he was one of the thinnest people you'll ever see.
Didn't know Nash Kato was a NU alum. The first time I saw Urge was at the DePaul Blue Demon room courtesy of free tix from WNUR.

Didn't know Nash Kato was a NU alum. The first time I saw Urge was at the DePaul Blue Demon room courtesy of free tix from WNUR.
Yep. We discussed it last year when UO's drummer passed away.

Reactions: NUCat320

My favorite Albini recording. Recorded in the first take.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonny2TheP
Gosh this is great.

From the “wait, how’d he even work on that one?” department, Albini *also* engineered should-be-a-Wildcat-anthem “Start Wearing Purple”, by Gogol Bordello.

Last edited:
Looks like my old Bobb Hall "friend of a friend" was cremated.

Really bright guy, had a different view of the world. I respected him for that, we had some interesting conversations.

Lots of NU kids disliked him, especially the preppy kids. Gaunt guy in a beat-up leather jacket with punk rock buttons on it. His death hit harder than I expected.

I'm glad he was able to channel his passions, energy (and rage) into something he loved.

Looks like my old Bobb Hall "friend of a friend" was cremated.

Really bright guy, had a different view of the world. I respected him for that, we had some interesting conversations.

Lots of NU kids disliked him, especially the preppy kids. Gaunt guy in a beat-up leather jacket with punk rock buttons on it. His death hit harder than I expected.

I'm glad he was able to channel his passions, energy (and rage) into something he loved.

I actually listened to Veruca Salt's "Blow it Out Your Ass" EP this morning - an album that Albini produced as kind of a "holdover EP" between their first album "American Thighs" and their first major label album, "Eight Arms to Hold You" (produced by Bob Rock). The rawness of the records he produced can be a little hit or miss for me, but when paired correctly with music I enjoy, man, it's a fun listen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT