ADVERTISEMENT

As a new BIG10 fan can you help me understand the conference rivalries?

Congratulations on your success, historic 5-0 start in Big Ten play.
Historic 5-0 since 1995, yes. A good way to celebrate the 25th anniversary, like we've been doing all year.

As someone from Michigan, I can tell you UM versus MSU is a big rivalry for the state, no matter what the UM people will tell you. Michigan State versus Penn State matters to nobody.

It is unfortunate the Big Ten put MSU in the East with the realignment of the divisions because MSU and Wisconsin was turning in to a real rival starting with the creation of the Big Ten Championship. There were so many great close games between those two, and a true hatred was developing

I personally hate everything about the University of Illinois, but that goes beyond sports rivalries. However, I do love beating them at sports.

Since 2011, one of the better year in and year out games: Nebraska vs. Northwestern for the battle of NU.

Yes, UNL or University of Nebraska is NU for athletics, like OU, KU and their old Big 8 Brothers. University of doesn't matter.

Northwestern is becoming a rival to all in the B1G West, since 2014 with their play on the field.

Now, 4-3 vs. Wisconsin. #1 in conference division at 5-0.

Congratulations on your success, historic 5-0 start in Big Ten play.

I used to love Nebraska-Colorado and Texas-TAMU on Thanksgiving weekend. Iowa-Nebraska has gotten that weekend , and I like it.

I attended a Floyd game in Iowa City about 15 years ago. There was real hatred there.

So looking at the last game of the season I understand these to be the main conference rivalries:

Michigan Ohio State (knew that one, obviously)
Northwestern Illinois
Purdue Indiana
Michigan State Penn State
Maryland Rutgers
Iowa Wisconsin
Minnesota Nebraska

So of that list which of the rivalries are the most legitimate (other than Michigan OSU, I guess). Nebraska’s real rival would be an old Big 12 foe Colorado. Does Iowa hate Iowa State or Wisconsin more?

What other rivalries not played at the end of the season are bigger than these (UM MSU comes to mind).
Coming from an Iowa fan, Iowa hates Iowa State more, but hates Nebraska more then Wisconsin, and vise versa. Me personally, I am an Iowa fan but attended Iowa State, so I don't hate ISU, but I do hate Nebraska and their smug fan base. I stop by the Cats forum because the guys here are cool, respectful and like to talk football. Oh, and great win against Bucky Saturday. ;)

I think a rivalry is reflected in team effort, and while NU/Illinois may not have as much mutual deep dislike as other rivalries, the games have often been ridiculously hard fought affairs, regardless of which team has the upper hand.

That is a rivalry. A genuine rivalry. Though the Illini really do try so hard to manufacture some animosity to go along with it.

Edit: I remember going down to UIUC when my friends were students there in the early 90s. At that time, you could find plenty of Illini fans who would, with a perfectly straight face, tell you that Michigan was really Illinois’ big rival, not Northwestern. Just priceless.
Where is the correlation between them and Michigan?? Not really logical as one has the most wins in college football and the other is....Illinois???

Where is the correlation between them and Michigan?? Not really logical as one has the most wins in college football and the other is....Illinois???
Illinois had a few pretty good years in the early '90s and I guess it went to their heads.

Otherwise known as the Nebraska Compromise, this fracture between leaders and legends would merely postpone the inevitable admittance of Rutgers to the conference, a fate the crafters fervently wished to avoid.

Since Nebraska(UNL) joined B1G the series vs NU is tied 5-5. NU is 2-3 at Ryan & 3-2 at Nebraska. Nebraska (UNL) leads overall 8-6 in series since 1902.

I think the Threefold Nexus of Hate should get its own trophy: a large golden "W" with a base for score plaques. To win the trophy, you have to beat both of the other two schools in a given year. (If the three teams split, the trophy stays where it is and no scores are recorded.) If you win, you record the year and both scores on a plaque, including the ultimate insult of referring to your opponents as "Ioa", "isconsin", or "Northestern".

Fitz hates Iowa

For the original poster, some history on Io_a: In 1992, Io_a coach Hayden Fry said to Coach Barnett in the post-game handshake (following a 56-14 beatdown), "I hope we didn't hurt any of your boys" - the ultimate condescending statement which clearly illustrated the lack of respect he had for us. Barnett proceeded to circle the Io_a game every year and made beating them a priority, even though we weren't traditional rivals with them. They became the measuring stick for our program.

In 1995, we beat them 31-20, but Fitz broke his leg in the game, which kept him out of the last game of the regular season and the Rose Bowl. Fitz downplays his hatred of Io_a to the media, but his players have referenced that he continues to take pleasure in beating them as coach.

One other thing for the original poster: all NU fans...in fact, I would go as far to say all Big Ten fans...hate that school from South Bend.

Even when NU wasn't that good, the PA announcer at then Dyche Stadium took great pleasure in pausing while updating other scores around the Big Ten and the nation:

"And in South Bend, Indiana, it's BYU 21................
......Notre Dame 14!"

The whole crowd would then erupt in applause and cheers. Of course, I use the term "crowd" liberally there...back then, one could get an accurate count of attendance by...counting.

Seasider - I picked the actual score from the 1994 BYU-ND game just for you... :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT