ADVERTISEMENT

Assistant Coach Position

You'd think CCC would want to move quickly on this hire to help with the recruiting. Always plenty anxiety over here.

I wonder if there are any former NU players rising up through the coaching ranks these days? We did well with Hardy and Baldwin, there's got to be others.

Hopefully CCC has an eye on assistants who can bring player development up a couple of notches in places he sees it deficient. Recruiting doesn’t seem, to me, to be our biggest problem.

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE
Hopefully CCC has an eye on assistants who can bring player development up a couple of notches in places he sees it deficient. Recruiting doesn’t seem, to me, to be our biggest problem.

Yup, pretty much this. Particularly on the offensive end. We were 19th in KenPom for defense last year - that's great! 204th for offense - another story.

Chris Lauten (our director of bball ops) just followed Jon Borovich from NIU on Twitter. Would be a logical fit.

Wow. Call me ignorant, but how is this inspiring? Somehow, I was hoping for something a bit more than... well, just a bit more. How far things and our expectations have fallen since the NCAA tourney appearance.

Wow. Call me ignorant, but how is this inspiring? Somehow, I was hoping for something a bit more than... well, just a bit more. How far things and our expectations have fallen since the NCAA tourney appearance.

Did you even look at his profile? Associate head coach, up and coming type who's been part of successful programs and started at MSU. If he can recruit Chicagoland, he could be a nice addition to the staff.

https://niuhuskies.com/coaches.aspx?rc=934

OK. Since you invited it. UR Ignorant.

GOUNUII

Reactions: LansingCat
Did you even look at his profile? Associate head coach, up and coming type who's been part of successful programs and started at MSU. If he can recruit Chicagoland, he could be a nice addition to the staff.

https://niuhuskies.com/coaches.aspx?rc=934

Being a graduate assistant at MSU doing video analysis isn't what I call credentials when that's the best that you've got (and looking at his career, it feels like the closest thing to inspirational in my book). And when you said he started at MSU, I only later realized you meant his career as a graduate assistant, and not as a player. He was like the gocatsgo for MSU hoops.

Brian James. Armon Gates. Pat Baldwin. These were inspiring gets. Donlan perhaps too given that he was coming from Michigan. Get me someone with NBA credentials, someone who has been a part of a championship program as a player or as an assistant. Or at least African-American like Diddy because at least and he can relate more to the players. A year ago, we were talking about ex-Duke players that were grad assistants. Someone who can talk about what it takes to get a ring. Why not one of them? If we can't get anyone like that, At least someone who coached (not did video analysis or cut newspaper clippings) or played for a Power 5 team.

If it's this chump, sorry, but I don't see how that's a step forward for the program.

Last edited:

sorry, for my bluntness, but I'm not a fan of taking any unproven people from the mid-major level who don't know what it's like to compete as a coach or a player at this level. Especially not after the Cushing and Carmody experiments.

Reactions: catsattackfor3
sorry, for my bluntness, but I'm not a fan of taking any unproven people from the mid-major level who don't know what it's like to compete as a coach or a player at this level. Especially not after the Cushing and Carmody experiments.
How is Armon Gates, who came from mid-major Loyola and spent two seasons there when they went a combined 22-39 in the Horizon League an "inspiring get" but this guy is a chump?

That's why there are interviews and other assessments. Yes, it is kind of ignorant to just look at a resume at face value without actually digging into the details. It's no different from hiring a manager to help you run your organization. Many of us have experienced the hiring process, and not always does the guy that looks great on paper gets automatically hired.

Being a graduate assistant at MSU doing video analysis isn't what I call credentials when that's the best that you've got (and looking at his career, it feels like the closest thing to inspirational in my book). And when you said he started at MSU, I only later realized you meant his career as a graduate assistant, and not as a player. He was like the gocatsgo for MSU hoops.

Brian James. Armon Gates. Pat Baldwin. These were inspiring gets. Donlan perhaps too given that he was coming from Michigan. Get me someone with NBA credentials, someone who has been a part of a championship program as a player or as an assistant. Or at least African-American like Diddy because at least and he can relate more to the players. A year ago, we were talking about ex-Duke players that were grad assistants. Someone who can talk about what it takes to get a ring. Why not one of them? If we can't get anyone like that, At least someone who coached (not did video analysis or cut newspaper clippings) or played for a Power 5 team.

If it's this chump, sorry, but I don't see how that's a step forward for the program.
Sorry that is just dumb. And should be beneath you. You trying to be the rights version of Corbi?

Reactions: Catmosphere

Hate to say it, but I AGREE with this post for the most part. I disagree that Armon Gates was an "inspiring get."

I do agree with the general tone of the post, however. Borovich is a great recruiter? A well-known tactician? A nice, clean-cut guy with a young family? Maybe we wanted to hire someone who is raising a family locally just so we wouldn't have to hire somebody new again next year.

Borovich is probably fine as a coach, but Pat Baldwin got my attention because he's an alum. Donlan was a eye opener due to his pedigree and experience at Michigan. It's not a sexy hire because he's not well known to us and it's deflating in the midst of all of the other relatively sour news of so many guys leaving and the administration rejecting recruits and transfer. The negativity is contagious.

It's only negative if you want it to be, Puke. He's one of many we are probably looking at, and based on interviews, recommendations, interactions with staff, etc. I'm sure Collins will find a very good assistant.

Can someone remind me of all the big-conference coaching experience Baldwin had before NU?

Or Izzo before he went to MSU.

And where's the long list of asst coaches who Collins hired that suck

Can someone remind me of all the big-conference coaching experience Baldwin had before NU?

That's a straw man argument. Nobody says Patrick Baldwin was a great hire because he had previous big program experience. It was great having him because he is an alum like his immediate predecessor and a link to relative success in terms of NU basketball at the time.

Reactions: IGNORE
Whoever runs that putrid offense

Yeah, I think you're talking about the man himself....not one of the assistants. (and not saying I agree...I'm more making beds with hospital corners down in Jonestown)

I like this hire. I think he may help improve our offense, just based on his resume and a hunch.

Did anyone else know NIU's basketball court is stained black between the three-point lines? It's an inside-out version of what we had at the end of Carmody's tenure ...

If the rumor is he is a good recruiter that is fine by me. That is the key to basketball success. Lots of others can do x’s and o’s

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT